test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can you remove the 60fps cap?

spl0itzspl0itz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
edited May 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
FPS is capped at 60 even with vsync off. I have a 120hz monitor so it's always a slap in the face when games do this. Is there a config file somewhere I can edit or something to change the cap?
Post edited by spl0itz on

Comments

• talyen4talyen4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Same question here. I don't see an .ini file.
  • aullah12aullah12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    spl0itz wrote: »
    FPS is capped at 60 even with vsync off. I have a 120hz monitor so it's always a slap in the face when games do
    this. Is there a config file somewhere I can edit or something to change the cap?

Did you edit the fps cap in the settings? There is another one, not just the vsync
  • talyen4talyen4 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just found it: Localdata/Gameprefs.Pref -> edit in notepad -> search for MaxFPS

looks like you can change FOV, too
  • ceniebabyceniebaby Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited April 2013
    Anything over 60FPS is pointless, so what's the problem?
    Cenie@ceniebaby - Dragon - Cleric - Member of Siren
  • lhatethisgamelhatethisgame Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    :D I think so...
  • pembspembs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yeah not sure what benefit 120 fps would be in an mmo. It's not like a fps where it helps with the shooty shooty.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Shouldn't sliding it to 0 disable it?
  • wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    pembs wrote: »
    Yeah not sure what benefit 120 fps would be in an mmo. It's not like a fps where it helps with the shooty shooty.

It helps because if you pay for a monitor with 120hz refresh rate (generally 3D-capable monitor, if I'm not mistaken), you WANT your FPS as high as you can go...kinda like, if you get a top-of-the-line computer, you don't just play everything on max because of how it looks, you play it on max because you paid for the ability to do so. :P
  • pungkapungka Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ceniebaby wrote: »
    Anything over 60FPS is pointless, so what's the problem?

It's not pointless if you have a 120hz monitor...
  • sindofinsindofin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    talyen4 wrote: »
    Just found it: Localdata/Gameprefs.Pref -> edit in notepad -> search for MaxFPS

looks like you can change FOV, too

Could you share the full names for the variables for FOV and MaxFPS please?
    All that file contains for me are various variables with information about the system spec, like cpu count and name etc..
  • trayaltrayal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As a heads up, this is an option in the game menus itself.
    Just go to options, then Video, then Troubleshooting. Framelimit is right there.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Shouldn't sliding it to 0 disable it?
    trayal wrote: »
    As a heads up, this is an option in the game menus itself.
    Just go to options, then Video, then Troubleshooting. Framelimit is right there.

. . . . . Indeed, I just double-checked last night and under Troubleshooting you can select "Off" in the choice for Frame Rate Limit, disabling it.
  • stringsestringse Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 63
    edited April 2013
    Why do you want it past 60fps?
  • ifandbutifandbut Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    Why do you want it past 60fps?

If you would read the whole post before replying you would see what a few other people have already said.

You want it past 60fps because you have a 120Hz monitor. A higher frame rate makes for a smoother overall experience.

Back on topic. I'm gona bookmark this post because I will be needing this information this weekend. I'm on the road right now but when I get back I'll be playing on my desktop with my 120Hz monitor and would like to uncap my framerate first thing.
  • solkyoshirosolkyoshiro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For those people that haven't seen a game running at 120 FPS on a 120hz monitor its hard to grasp. But there IS a big discernable difference between 60 and 120. It feels smoother and more fluid. Basically imagine that you've only ever played at 30fps and then you see 60fps for the first time. That sort of fluidity is hard to explain without seeing it. It's beautiful.
  • rystar9999rystar9999 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I find it hard to believe you can notice the difference between 30 fps and above. As human beings the maximum ammount of frames we capture with our eyes is 27 fps (i think thats right) so what you are saying is you have a special Gamer Ability that allows you to tell the difference. i wonder without a FPS counter if i showwed you two videos which one was running at 60 fps and 120.
  • vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rystar9999 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe you can notice the difference between 30 fps and above. As human beings the maximum ammount of frames we capture with our eyes is 27 fps (i think thats right) so what you are saying is you have a special Gamer Ability that allows you to tell the difference. i wonder without a FPS counter if i showwed you two videos which one was running at 60 fps and 120.

Oh not this <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> again, we've been hearing and debunking this bull**** since discussion on the topic first began on the internet.

If you can't tell the difference between 30 to 60 you are blind.
  • emptyohteremptyohter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited April 2013

A practical example: Try moving your mouse cursor in circles on your screen as fast as you can (a clean black background makes this easier). How many cursors are you able to see at the same time? No time to count them, but its more than a few. In a perfect world, you would only see one blurred cursor, not many sharp-imaged cursors.
    A practical example in game: Try reading text above peoples head while they are running past you. The faster they are moving, the more difficult it is. Try reading the sign of a passing bus on the street (IRL). Easy.
    Conclusion: our limit is not at 27 frames per second.
    Disclaimer: I might be wrong about these examples. If i am, tell me why.
  • iluvatarrulesiluvatarrules Member Posts: 172 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    emptyohter wrote: »
    A practical example: Try moving your mouse cursor in circles on your screen as fast as you can (a clean black background makes this easier). How many cursors are you able to see at the same time? No time to count them, but its more than a few. In a perfect world, you would only see one blurred cursor, not many sharp-imaged cursors.
    A practical example in game: Try reading text above peoples head while they are running past you. The faster they are moving, the more difficult it is. Try reading the sign of a passing bus on the street (IRL). Easy.
    Conclusion: our limit is not at 27 frames per second.
    Disclaimer: I might be wrong about these examples. If i am, tell me why.

You are generally correct in the way you approach the matter. A cleaner explanation would be that the Human vision is not bound by frame rate. That doesn't mean that the human eye can see a difference on fps above 80.My eyes can't anyway when we are talking about 2 dimensions. In a a stereoscopic movie they could though.. The matter is pretty complicated and not worth analyzing too much in a game forum but a simple conclusion would be that yes the eye can see more than 30 fps but anything above 70ish is pointless in 2 dimensions. Here's a relatively simple (but still not scientific) explanation about the matter
    http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/3348/can-the-human-eye-distinguish-frame-rates-above-60-hz
  • eight1foureight1four Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You still feel the smoothness of 120fps even if it doesnt make a big difference visually.
    You are generally correct in the way you approach the matter. A cleaner explanation would be that the Human vision is not bound by frame rate. That doesn't mean that the human eye can see a difference on fps above 80.My eyes can't anyway when we are talking about 2 dimensions. In a a stereoscopic movie they could though.. The matter is pretty complicated and not worth analyzing too much in a game forum but a simple conclusion would be that yes the eye can see more than 30 fps but anything above 70ish is pointless in 2 dimensions. Here's a relatively simple (but still not scientific) explanation about the matter
    http://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/3348/can-the-human-eye-distinguish-frame-rates-above-60-hz
  • metsurometsuro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013

A visual example. http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
    edited April 2013
    According to the article: "120Hz monitors exist for stereoscopic viewing at 60Hz per eye".So yes I suppose one could see a small difference (not me though as I own a 120Hz monitor) but as you said it would be more of "a feel" than anything real since the game images are 2 dimensional:)
    edited April 2013
    metsuro wrote: »

Yes that is up to 60 fps and I already said that the eye can see up to 60.The problem is after that threshold:)
  • ifandbutifandbut Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

First: Stop spreading lies. There is a TON of evidence to back up being able to see over 27fps. Movies and TV just stick with 30fps because it is cheaper.

Second: Everyone is different. YOU might not see anything over 27fps but *I* have a hard time playing a game below 50fps and there are a TON of people who might think 120fps is too low.
  • ascher11tascher11t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 47
    edited April 2013

Yes you can see the difference between 60fps and 100/120fps. I've played a lot of competitive CS 1.6, and the difference between 100fps[which is normally what you need to play the game competitively] and 60fps is humongous.
  • xotrasxotras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The difference you see from 30 - 60 - 120 is not because of the eyes has the ability to.

While people say you cant see higher then 27 fps there really is some truth to it, but FPS does not equal quality in your mind.
    When your sitting infront of a screen playing a fast paced game consider this;

REAL LIFE - You see everything live, there is no such thing as a cap. Everything that happens is not divided in frames. And what happens faster then the eye can see in details? mind compensates with blurryness. (Try looking at a motor or a fan, no1 can argue the fact they cant look in details on the moving parts).
    30 FPS - when you turn fast (example), the screen will only have the time to update 4 picts on that single turn. How does the brain handle this? It will not be handled as a moving part, because its not. its 4 pics, with lots of differences so it will feel choppy.
    HIGHER FPS- its still not a moving "analog" object for the eye to see. But the transitions go smoother so the brain doesnt take it as much as a choppyness. So higher FPS does yield smoother feel to the game.

If however a game with different fps, had the technology to "blur" very fast movements similiar to how the brain handles it, the game would feel smoother and you would have problems differentiate it. Information would not be chopped, but mixed as the eye would normally see it.
  • schlobbobbanschlobbobban Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this discussion going to keep going because the issue is so disscussed and it always ends in the same way, no matter how many facts you come up with people will still rant that "there is no difference between 30-60-120 fps!"

Gong back to the 60-120hz issue. Since you can remove the framratecap that solves that, partially. For me the screen settings still revert back to 60hz for the refresh rate when I apply it. Is this fixable?
  • doctormonkeedoctormonkee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think the only human beings that can see 120fps are people with Autism. They process information at speeds we cannot comprehend with current technology. Not even joking. Other than that, there are animals that can exceed 200fps, but I don't think they own a computer.

Read this for your own information http://amo.net/NT/02-21-01FPS.html
  • smauztssmauzts Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    spl0itz wrote: »
    FPS is capped at 60 even with vsync off. I have a 120hz monitor so it's always a slap in the face when games do this. Is there a config file somewhere I can edit or something to change the cap?

Just write this in the chat; /maxfps 120

You're welcome.

Regards, Smauzt
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cathycutecathycute Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey guys there's an option in video settings tab name troubleshoot there should be an option to limit your fps from 30, 60 to 120. hope that helps.