test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Can you remove the 60fps cap?

2»

Comments

• tyriatyria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    stringse wrote: »
    Why do you want it past 60fps?

Not sure how 'mechanically' inclined you are. but here's a car-version of an example as to why.

Say you have a Car with a 454 with-block in it, set to run at a drag strip. The motor, timings, and gearing are all set to top-end, high speed.

Now, imagine your driving that same car, with the same 'power', but your on a road with a 15mph speed limit.

That car that runs 'well' when its shooting down the track at 90+mph, will sound like its choking to death, coughing out the exhaust pipes, and rattling like crazy. Because it has all that power, but its being 'held back'.

Forcing a 120hrz monitor to run as a 60hrz one does about the same thing, It works yea, but it doesn't work as well as it 'should' because its being limited artificially. (speed limit / fps lock)

When its able to run at its full 120hrz, the video output simply 'looks' and 'plays' better than it would when throttled back.
  • kilirmkilirm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 43
    edited May 2013
    ceniebaby wrote: »
    Anything over 60FPS is pointless, so what's the problem?

Not really, technically the higher the FPS, the easiest the experience is on the eyes, especially speaking of refresh rate, which of course the game lets you raise to the max of your monitor. I may agree that in THIS game, 120FPS does not mean much over 60FPS other than making it easier on the eyes.
  • schlobbobbanschlobbobban Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this discussion going to keep going because the issue is so disscussed and it always ends in the same way, no matter how many facts you come up with people will still rant that "there is no difference between 30-60-120 fps!"

Gong back to the 60-120hz issue. Since you can remove the framratecap that solves that, partially. For me the screen settings still revert back to 60hz for the refresh rate when I apply it. Is this fixable?

Feels like I need to bump this.
  • quick2drawquick2draw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Exactly.. The issue is not raising the FPS cap as much as fixing the refresh rate bug.

When you set the refresh rate to anything higher then 60Hz and click ok it will revert back to 60Hz no matter what. This needs to be fixed.
  • jmann43jmann43 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013

Seconded!!
  • mcphredmcphred Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Until they fix it so that the in-game 120hz option actually sticks, I use the command that someone earlier wrote about:
    "/Maxfps 120"
    together with vsync off if i believe correct. I dont know if that setting sticks between restarting the game but at least, with little effort, i can make use of some of the smoothness that my 120 hz monitor and pc-hardware can provide.

(Hopefully they manage to optimize the game so that the fps in town gets a boost as well. Currently I get 85-120 when out on missions and around 40 in town.)
    edited May 2013
    mcphred wrote: »
    Until they fix it so that the in-game 120hz option actually sticks, I use the command that someone earlier wrote about:
    "/Maxfps 120"
    together with vsync off if i believe correct. I dont know if that setting sticks between restarting the game but at least, with little effort, i can make use of some of the smoothness that my 120 hz monitor and pc-hardware can provide.

(Hopefully they manage to optimize the game so that the fps in town gets a boost as well. Currently I get 85-120 when out on missions and around 40 in town.)

But maxfps still just remove the framecap. It has nothing to do with the refresh rate. I guess beta is beta
  • tonymantonyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just use Window Maximum mode. That way you are using your native refresh rate and also enabling V-Sync for the extra smoothness.

I use Window maximum mode for most games I play if they have the option.

144Hz FTW!
    edited May 2013
    tonyman wrote: »
    Just use Window Maximum mode. That way you are using your native refresh rate and also enabling V-Sync for the extra smoothness.

I use Window maximum mode for most games I play if they have the option.

144Hz FTW!

Hey that's right, the maximized uses the native refresh rate. Thanks a thousand. That makes the game a whole lot smoother.
  • hipolipolopigushipolipolopigus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Not sure if it's been mentioned, but you can use the /maxFPS and /maxInactiveFPS commands.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Want to know why Neverwinter is so laggy? Check out the "Latency" section in this thread.
  • siloquezsiloquez Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It helps because if you pay for a monitor with 120hz refresh rate (generally 3D-capable monitor, if I'm not mistaken), you WANT your FPS as high as you can go...kinda like, if you get a top-of-the-line computer, you don't just play everything on max because of how it looks, you play it on max because you paid for the ability to do so. :P
    Yes sir and I'm expecting a patch for this.

Just at the Pirate jungle I noticed how cool the landscape is, and that I don't have 120hz (it stays on for sometime, but goes to 60hz soon after changing). Tried with Nvidia settings and still it goes to 60hz. Otherwise the game would look cool...
  • necrofobicnecrofobic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lol or just use the ingame menu, options/video/troubleshooting and there you have the lock @ 60 option
  • pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For those people that haven't seen a game running at 120 FPS on a 120hz monitor its hard to grasp. But there IS a big discernable difference between 60 and 120. It feels smoother and more fluid. Basically imagine that you've only ever played at 30fps and then you see 60fps for the first time. That sort of fluidity is hard to explain without seeing it. It's beautiful.
    I'll actually raise you. I was playing MWO on a laptop at 7-12 FpS average. Then my friends took a collection and bought me a gaming rig! I understand your wanting to have even more FpS!:cool:
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • mehailzzmehailzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You can change the lock fps function, but after that, you still can't correct the "hz" setting the options, it will always be set to 60, even though you pick 120, just like in STO.
  • daowacedaowace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013