test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

F2P model misunderstood. Someone explain how this is remotely fair.

verylittleanaxverylittleanax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
edited August 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Not really a discussion topic as much as a simple information and a "this can't be for real".

Everyone was fascinated with the F2P model in LoL. Everyone know a MMO is expensive to sustain. Perfect world wanted to make it work, but by doing so, they have taken some decisions that runs the game in my opinion.

By implementing the AD for ZEN mechanic, PW has effectively made a workaround for the claims that this game is pay to win. Everything in the ZEN store is free - if you grind AD. So even though you need stuff from the zen store, its free if you really want it (and have no life at all).

All end game gear is BoE. It is tradeable on the AH and will cost AD. This means that everyone can buy ZEN, trade for AD and get the best end game gear in the game without entering a dungeon or being in a party. The point of the game is ruined for me at this point.

Now, I want to bring one small example of how PW tries to squeeze every $ out of the player they possibly can:

Some times (about 4 times up until level 20) you find an epic dropbox. This is the first epic item you come across and you are happy! Now, to open the box, you need a key. The key can ONLY be obtained through the ZEN store. This is a low and distasteful way of trying to make players buy and spend even more ZEN. When I find my first epic item, I dont want it to be some scam item the company behind the game has designed to try and make me pay money.
Post edited by verylittleanax on

Comments

• frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh no !! a cash shop helps people in real life who are pro at real life and don't mind spending some RL money to advance their fake online toons.

a sub game is beneficial to people who have tons of free time in real life and can grind and grind and grind, leaving the pro real lifer at a disadvantage. Oh wait. no. this entices the pro real lifer to buy 3rd party items and in game money.

I see the problem. The QQ'ers are mad that the cash shop hurts their RL 3rd party income because those willing to pay RL money can now just give it to the gaming company instead. Gotcha. I understand now.
  • rhcpmikeyrhcpmikey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You can actually put the lockboxes on the auction house. I sold 2 of them yesterday for 1500 AD, which is kinda nice.
    Zironako - level 60 - control wizard
    Lucience - level 16 - trickster rogue
    Dragon server
  • verylittleanaxverylittleanax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rhcpmikey wrote: »
    You can actually put the lockboxes on the auction house. I sold 2 of them yesterday for 1500 AD, which is kinda nice.

Cool that makes it somewhat less insane. The basic principle of the item is still vomitingly disgusting.
  • tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ok.. Well, stubborn and offended as I was, I simply discarded it after figuring out that you can't trade or even sell it. But no......... This is the most ridiculous part. It can't be destroyed. It wouldn't discard. It will take up inventory space until you buy zen and open all the boxes you have found.

Put them on the AH for a cheap price, or hold onto them when (and if it's anything like STO) the lockbox changes, and make bank on people who didn't get them before they were gone or want a chance on what's in them. It's not a big deal, really.
  • redshift2k5redshift2k5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 241 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    If you don't like the lockboxes, just sell them for AD. Enough people DO like the lockboxes that they are an effective way for the game to make money. Even if you don't pay for the game, you should be glad somebody is paying to support he game and it's development.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Cool that makes it somewhat less insane. The basic principle of the item is still vomitingly disgusting.

Hey I am all for anything that gets someone that worked up.

Lol
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I hope we don't need to buy some kind of "item" from coin shop to defeat the final boss :)
  • jaelrinyajaelrinya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    By implementing the AD for ZEN mechanic, PW has effectively made a workaround for the claims that this game is pay to win. Everything in the ZEN store is free - if you grind AD. So even though you need stuff from the zen store, its free if you really want it (and have no life at all).
    The same mechanic is up and running in Star Trek Online for quite a while now. I actually have gathered Dilithium (which is the Astral Diamond equivalent in STO) to get enough Zen to buy one of the Store-Ships. You certainly don't need to sacriface your real life do do that. All it takes is some patience.
    All end game gear is BoE. It is tradeable on the AH and will cost AD. This means that everyone can buy ZEN, trade for AD and get the best end game gear in the game without entering a dungeon or being in a party. The point of the game is ruined for me at this point.
    I was really surprised that the blue items I found in the first dungeons were not bind on pickup. But that is really a good thing in my opinion. That way I can trade in for whatever I actually might need.
    A quick thought: Who grinds all the endgame gear that everyone will be buying for real money in the auction house? ;)
    And now my question: Why does it ruin the game for you? Why does it concern you how other people could get their gear? Isn't it their loss that they just skip the dungeons?
    Now, I want to bring one small example of how PW tries to squeeze every $ out of the player they possibly can:

Some times (about 4 times up until level 20) you find an epic dropbox. This is the first epic item you come across and you are happy! Now, to open the box, you need a key. The key can ONLY be obtained through the ZEN store. This is a low and distasteful way of trying to make players buy and spend even more ZEN. When I find my first epic item, I dont want it to be some scam item the company behind the game has designed to try and make me pay money.
    You know what? You don't need anything out of that lockboxes. Of course it's a clumsy way of trying to make more money. But you can ignore those boxes if you don't like them. You seem pretty focused on that epic items? Why is that?

Ok.. Well, stubborn and offended as I was, I simply discarded it after figuring out that you can't trade or even sell it. But no......... This is the most ridiculous part. It can't be destroyed. It wouldn't discard. It will take up inventory space until you buy zen and open all the boxes you have found. Inventory space also cost zen to obtain, so it is all really well planned if you ask me :)
    Yeah, pretty diabolic ;). But you are right, they should make the lockboxes discardable.
  • themassakrethemassakre Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Lame I had no idea you could buy end game gear with zen. So this is like Diablo 3 all over again...
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I really hope OP is wrong regarding everything being BoE, because if there was one thing that turned me off completely when reaching Tera's endgame after it went F2P was the fact that EVERY (95% at least) single item was BoE, meaning "endgame" was mostly done via money farming lvl 58 dungeons (max lvl being 60) for money, buying gear then going into the dungeons where the gear you bought via money dropped.... Absolutely boring and dreadful.

I truly hope for the sake of this game's endgame that the thing about all the stuff being BoE is not true.
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    Lame I had no idea you could buy end game gear with zen. So this is like Diablo 3 all over again...
    So lots of trolls huh? As stated before, you can not buy gear with zen. Wait till you get in game and you will look like an *** for even posting this comment.
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited April 2013
    daxtax86 wrote: »
    I really hope OP is wrong regarding everything being BoE, because if there was one thing that turned me off completely when reaching Tera's endgame after it went F2P was the fact that EVERY (95% at least) single item was BoE, meaning "endgame" was mostly done via money farming lvl 58 dungeons (max lvl being 60) for money, buying gear then going into the dungeons where the gear you bought via money dropped.... Absolutely boring and dreadful.

I truly hope for the sake of this game's endgame that the thing about all the stuff being BoE is not true.
    Okay so the op has not played the game yet and in beta weekends we did not get to do level 60 content. So in summation, he has no clue what he is talking about. I assure you as a fellow alpha tester that it is nothing like Tera's endgame.
  • themassakrethemassakre Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    mandodo69 wrote: »
    So lots of trolls huh? As stated before, you can not buy gear with zen. Wait till you get in game and you will look like an *** for even posting this comment.

Zen can be traded for AD. If end game gear can be acquired this way doesn't it defeat the purpose of a dungeon?
    edited April 2013
    Zen can be traded for AD. If end game gear can be acquired this way doesn't it defeat the purpose of a dungeon?
    End game gear can only be purchased with SEALS. you can not buy them with zen or ad. You can only get them by invoking once every 24 hours or ......DUH....doing dungeons. The bosses drop the seals. For the love of god, if you have not played yet, then stop assuming.
  • moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    Not really a discussion topic as much as a simple information and a "this can't be for real".

Everyone was fascinated with the F2P model in LoL. Everyone know a MMO is expensive to sustain. Perfect world wanted to make it work, but by doing so, they have taken some decisions that runs the game in my opinion.

Ok.. Well, stubborn and offended as I was, I simply discarded it after figuring out that you can't trade or even sell it. But no......... This is the most ridiculous part. It can't be destroyed. It wouldn't discard. It will take up inventory space until you buy zen and open all the boxes you have found. Inventory space also cost zen to obtain, so it is all really well planned if you ask me :)

I'm sorry if the post sounds like a complete whine, I am just so absolutely disgusted, that I had to write and hear if I am the only one that find disturping and bad sign of the way PW want the player expecience to be. I don't think I can trust them to make a fun end game if they can even imagine doing things like this to the players in order to get more money.

So PW drops -100% optional- items, and you make a wall of text of the forums saying you don't want to pay to enjoy this 100% optional item. I think the problem is with you. PS. you can put the lockboxes on the AH, so your premise is false anyway.
  • verylittleanaxverylittleanax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013

If you don't see that everything on AH can effectively be bought with real life money then you either havn't played the game or simply don't posses the ability to add two concepts.

I do know that the end game gear will be BoE because the vendros selling the best gear in game for seals are already available in the protectors enclave maked area. Dragon seals currently buys the best gear in game and that gear is BoE.

As for the whole "why do you care someone buys gear for $". If you don't get why this makes it less fun for me then I can't explain it to you. It's how it is, and I know many, though not all, feel the same way about it as I do. I ruins the point of getting strong through effort, if many people reach the same point effortless.
  • forumcanforumcan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013

Even though these people can buy en game gear, what is the meaning of it since they did not play and enjoy?

Yup... Even if they could afford to buy the most fearsome weapon and 1 hit kill the very final boss. Where is fun for them?
    So, let them do that. I will play with my 5 man party which consists of my childhood friends to overcome this game while getting the most fun out of it.
    edited April 2013
    If you don't see that everything on AH can effectively be bought with real life money then you either havn't played the game or simply don't posses the ability to add two concepts.

I do know that the end game gear will be BoE because the vendros selling the best gear in game for seals are already available in the protectors enclave maked area. Dragon seals currently buys the best gear in game and that gear is BoE.

As for the whole "why do you care someone buys gear for $". If you don't get why this makes it less fun for me then I can't explain it to you. It's how it is, and I know many, though not all, feel the same way about it as I do. I ruins the point of getting strong through effort, if many people reach the same point effortless.
    Okay so tell me where you buy seals? Not in the ah or zen store or any other vendor. And your wrong, Unicorn Seals gets the best gear. Do your research. And yes I have played the game and currently am. Read here and look at my title and search my foundry missions up in game : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php?page=20 read what sominator says about head start.

Also I am in the foundry authors directory here : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?117831-The-Foundry-List-of-UGC-and-Authors&p=1681281#post1681281 yup thats me @mandodo69.

So do not tell me I have not played the game!
  • rhcpmikeyrhcpmikey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I also don't get why people are so much against these lockboxes. All it gives you is a mount, which is just a vanity to be honest. It doesn't make any more powerfull in any way.
    Dragon server
    edited April 2013
    I also don't get why people are so much against these lockboxes. All it gives you is a mount, which is just a vanity to be honest. It doesn't make any more powerfull in any way.
    LOL i've been trying to tell them this but, alas, nobody(trolls) will listen.
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    frost168 wrote: »
    Oh no !! a cash shop helps people in real life who are pro at real life and don't mind spending some RL money to advance their fake online toons.

Dumbest thing I've ever read and I read Fundies Say the Darndest Things. The fact that you'd even consider saying "pro at life" for anything other than playing The Game of Life tournaments, makes you more unlikely to actually be a "pro at life" than anyone complaining about a game.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
  • daxtax86daxtax86 Member Posts: 141 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Okay so the op has not played the game yet and in beta weekends we did not get to do level 60 content. So in summation, he has no clue what he is talking about. I assure you as a fellow alpha tester that it is nothing like Tera's endgame.

Well that's comforting, thanks for the reponse :)
    GM aka "Mafia Boss" of <Midget Mafia> Danish guild @ Beholder.

Main: "Daxt", Trickster Rogue @ Beholder.
    Alt: "Daxt-Two", Great Weapon Fighter @ Beholder

Tune in @ http://da.twitch.tv/daxt86
  • direcrowdirecrow Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013

Because they are an underhanded, sleazy way to make more money. Most other games offer up a mount for straight up cash, and manage to make enough money to maintain their game, and make players happy.

That's exactly the problem, all it does is give you a mount, if you beat ridiculous odds. The fact that you can spend hundreds of dollars and never get that mount, is what makes them so bad. and by the time you get enough of whatever arbitrary, tertiary currency Cryptic has created to make up for the RNG, you may as well have just dropped cash on a mount.

But that's not good enough for PWE and Cryptic, they want even more money, so disappointing players with wasted lockbox openings is an easy way to put forth bare minimal effort, for the most amount of profit. Rather than filling the store with options, all they have to do, is make a few things and stick them behind a n RNG.

But you knew that already. You just don't care.
    Mindflayer Shard - @direcrow
    The Dire Crow - Tiefling TR
    Alice L'ddell - Human GF
    Ludovique - Tiefling DC
    edited April 2013
    direcrow wrote: »
    Because they are an underhanded, sleazy way to make more money. Most other games offer up a mount for straight up cash, and manage to make enough money to maintain their game, and make players happy.

That's exactly the problem, all it does is give you a mount, if you beat ridiculous odds. The fact that you can spend hundreds of dollars and never get that mount, is what makes them so bad. and by the time you get enough of whatever arbitrary, tertiary currency Cryptic has created to make up for the RNG, you may as well have just dropped cash on a mount.

But that's not good enough for PWE and Cryptic, they want even more money, so disappointing players with wasted lockbox openings is an easy way to put forth bare minimal effort, for the most amount of profit. Rather than filling the store with options, all they have to do, is make a few things and stick them behind a n RNG.

There are plenty of other mounts available in the zen market that don't require any gambling. The nightmare mount is just some expensive vanity for people that enjoy riding "rare" mounts. It's just a skin, nothing more. It's optional; nobody forces you to take a gamble if you don't like that get a mount ingame or one for a set price in the zen market.
    Dragon server
  • zakuno1zakuno1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    direcrow wrote: »

Does it really matter how they get the money from some people? The more money they get the better. The more profitable the game is the more they will invest in it. The more they invest in their profitable game the more content and toys we get to play with. In the end the lockboxes are a good thing. The store is a good thing.
  • bwoodlawlbwoodlawl Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    zakuno1 wrote: »
    Does it really matter how they get the money from some people? The more money they get the better. The more profitable the game is the more they will invest in it. The more they invest in their profitable game the more content and toys we get to play with. In the end the lockboxes are a good thing. The store is a good thing.

You're right, except about one thing. The more money they make from the cash shop, the more they will invest into, WHAT?!, the cash shop. Look at any other f2p game that has success with micro-transactions and tell me where most of the time goes into. Eq2, SWTOR, all prime examples.
    edited April 2013
    Okay so tell me where you buy seals? Not in the ah or zen store or any other vendor. And your wrong, Unicorn Seals gets the best gear. Do your research. And yes I have played the game and currently am. Read here and look at my title and search my foundry missions up in game : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/devtracker.php?page=20 read what sominator says about head start.

Also I am in the foundry authors directory here : http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?117831-The-Foundry-List-of-UGC-and-Authors&p=1681281#post1681281 yup thats me @mandodo69.

So do not tell me I have not played the game!

I will explain it just for you then since it truely seems like you lack the mental ability to add two concepts :)
    The best gears is obtained with seals, both dragon and unicorn seals reward you with BoE items. BoE items are tradeable on the AH. thus gear can be obtained with $. I know it's quite a bit of informations you need to process to realize I am right, and I think PW made the system this cryptic (heh) so people like you will never notice.

Anyway it seems like people are split, and I respect that. I'm simply putting my oppinion out there.

It is a shame if this MMO makes the same mistake D3 did with the $-AH system, though it seems they are making an effort to make it less obvious.
  • neolitheneolithe Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't really understand how people being able to buy gear impacts you. You can still get this gear through running that dungeon right? If so, not sure what issue is.
  • zovyazovya Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know what potatoes are good for? Eating tomatoes. Yum.
  • zakuno1zakuno1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    bwoodlawl wrote: »
    You're right, except about one thing. The more money they make from the cash shop, the more they will invest into, WHAT?!, the cash shop. Look at any other f2p game that has success with micro-transactions and tell me where most of the time goes into. Eq2, SWTOR, all prime examples.

That's not entirely true. Lets look at STO. Sto is getting a massive free expansion soon that costs no Zen at all. Tor just got an expansion too and is getting an update at the end of april that adds not only a new race, but new features for free. Sure they put about half the money back into the shop, but the other half goes into content. That's how most games work. Half and Half. Except Champions. Champions never gets anything nice.
This discussion has been closed.