test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow this nickel and dime approach is fast turning me off.

askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
edited April 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I've played several micro transaction games but the prices and structure in this game is really turning me off.

Do you really have to spend 45 AD for a SINGLE level 30 identify scroll? I have an inventory full of non-ID'd stuff. Doing the math on what that translates to real world currency is shocking when you add up all the "necessities" you need just to play. And this after spending $200 on the game?

For the $200 package I get 8 bank slots... wow.

Really getting turned off. I can understand some of the luxury items or cosmetic stuff costing AD or Xen. Spamming skirmishes and dungeons as fast as the queue warrants I look at the AD gain and what upkeep costs and it just doesn't make sense.

IMHO LOTRO had micro-transactions down perfect. I'd rather pay a monthly fee than this model. Same gut-wrenching feeling you'd get if you took a 10 year old junker into a shady mechanic.
Post edited by askopdkapok on

Comments

• Options
    fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    How can you have a lackage of identification scrolls?? I played all the way to 60 and still ended up with 40+ scrolls in the inventory, which I've now destroyed..
  • Options
    nemesis788450nemesis788450 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    kinda true, but the game just started...if no one buys the stuff, prices will come down...as well as ad/zen exchange rates
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Q.Q thread
    I don't have a problem with it 45 AD is nothing really
    what you refer to as "necessities" are actually called conveniences
    IMO it will keep the world from becoming saturated with all the gear people randomly ID and throw on the market for way too cheap and destroy the economy with
    If you dont want to buy a crapton of ID scrolls be smart with it and only ID the stuff you may have a use for
    21.jpg
  • Options
    polymaticpolymatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The droprate on identify scrolls is through the roof right now. Either you have really bad luck with scrolls or really amazing luck with green drops. Not to mention 45 AD is almost nothing. You can get more than that refining AD from praying to your deity once.

And FYI, the cost of those scrolls used to be WAY higher. So stop looking a gift horse in the mouth.
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    I've had zero issues with identify scrolls, especially once I stopped IDing anything that isn't a potential upgrade (I did that when I realized I'd have to buy higher level ID scrolls for AD..45 AD is more valuable than a handful of copper/silver to me).
  • Options
    trevien29trevien29 Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Please, you blame everything on Warcraft, you must still be playing it. I on the other hand have been gaming long before that. People like you are the problem with these forums Askopdkapok, and the internet in general. Grow up, get a life, see the sun for a change.
  • Options
    frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm loving how they have it set up at the moment. Yes some things seem a bit pricey, but that is for the "Gotta have it now" crowd. U want it now, u pay for it ! For myself, who hopes to be playing the game a year from now, I like how they have it pieced out. You don't have to spend a ton up front. I opted to purchase zen instead of the pack that my buddy purchased. He was enticed by the early start so dropped the money for a guardian pack. I have the zen sitting there to piecemeal what I want, instead of spending it on a pack that chooses my items for me.

$60 is the typical cost of a game and I look forward to dropping $10-$15 every month to continue to support the game just as if it were a sub game. With the ability to generate AD's each day, that gives me something to play with as well. The money sinks in the game should help with inflation, while also giving them the freedom to adjust AD's up and down by adding additional ways to generate AD's as well as way to take them out of circulation.
  • Options
    elessymelessym Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've played several micro transaction games but the prices and structure in this game is really turning me off.

Do you really have to spend 45 AD for a SINGLE level 30 identify scroll? I have an inventory full of non-ID'd stuff. Doing the math on what that translates to real world currency is shocking when you add up all the "necessities" you need just to play. And this after spending $200 on the game?

Please. 45 AD for a single level 30 identify scroll. Well, right now it's 500 AD per zen, so that's 0.09 Zen per scroll. Since 100 Zen = 1 dollar, that's 0.09 cents per scroll. How is that shocking?
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • Options
    foxspirit13foxspirit13 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Pfft... if you think this is nickel and diming you, then you have havent played SWTOR.
  • Options
    themangroththemangroth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 104 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    you have 2 million friggin astral diamonds..... you could buy 44,444 scrolls...
  • Options
    vandsmithvandsmith Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i haven't had the problem - i'm only level 16 and have the 10 lvl 30 scrolls plus about 20 lessers that have dropped - maybe bad luck. but 45 isn't that much, especially when you eliminate all the non class stuff
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    elessym wrote: »
    Please. 45 AD for a single level 30 identify scroll. Well, right now it's 500 AD per zen, so that's 0.09 Zen per scroll. Since 100 Zen = 1 dollar, that's 0.09 cents per scroll. How is that shocking?

This assumes you can't find any. I have way, way more ID scrolls drop than I get unidentified items. It just is not a problem.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    dixa1dixa1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    frost168 wrote: »
    I'm loving how they have it set up at the moment. Yes some things seem a bit pricey, but that is for the "Gotta have it now" crowd. U want it now, u pay for it ! For myself, who hopes to be playing the game a year from now, I like how they have it pieced out. You don't have to spend a ton up front. I opted to purchase zen instead of the pack that my buddy purchased. He was enticed by the early start so dropped the money for a guardian pack. I have the zen sitting there to piecemeal what I want, instead of spending it on a pack that chooses my items for me.

$60 is the typical cost of a game and I look forward to dropping $10-$15 every month to continue to support the game just as if it were a sub game. With the ability to generate AD's each day, that gives me something to play with as well. The money sinks in the game should help with inflation, while also giving them the freedom to adjust AD's up and down by adding additional ways to generate AD's as well as way to take them out of circulation.

if the game is anything like sto there is nothing to stop you from creating many max level characters to churn out ad and convert it to zen

(not in game yet, assuming it has an exchange like sto)
  • Options
    devilsdozendevilsdozen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1) I am 44 atm, and i have not once bought a single scroll. I have more than enough to identify stuff that i want, and got even more stacks left in my bags. Just dont identify stuff you cant use (and plan to vendor).

2) Assuming you do somehow in a very weird way have a shortage of scrolls.
    A single daily will give you 1000-3000 AD. That translates to 12-36 scrolls. for ONE daily. Or do you want them to be handed over to you in a custom gift box with gold truffle chocolate candies instead?
  • Options
    damond5damond5 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Or do you want them to be handed over to you in a custom gift box with gold truffle chocolate candies instead?

Yes please, would be neat. That way I wouldnt have to play the game.
  • Options
    madcat124madcat124 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have a question about the game. Is it a good free to play game where you only pay for convenience, or is it absolutely necessary to dish out a lot of money before having fun? Basically if I only want to spend about $50 on the game will I still be able to have fun, or will it be like LOTRO where I need to buy the quests.
  • Options
    wruntjuniorwruntjunior Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited April 2013
    madcat124 wrote: »
    I have a question about the game. Is it a good free to play game where you only pay for convenience, or is it absolutely necessary to dish out a lot of money before having fun? Basically if I only want to spend about $50 on the game will I still be able to have fun, or will it be like LOTRO where I need to buy the quests.

I would personally spring up to $60 and buy the Guardian pack if you can...then it'll be about the price of a new 360 game that you may play for a week or less (or more, depending on how you play 360 games) and last quite a while.

Otherwise, you'll honestly do well enough just mainly get a mount, assuming the zen store mounts are account-wide (I don't know if they are).
  • Options
    baenonbaenon Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013

I haven't seen any quests that needed to be purchased, then again, i am a founder so...
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013

Cryptic never charges for content, you won't ever have to pay to gain entry to a quest. Even things like basic companions and mounts can be gained in-game either for free (like the companions) or for just a few gold (your first mount). Spending money on the game will yield faster or fancier mounts from the store, dye packs for your armor, fashion items like hats and clothes, that stuff.

It's worth noting that the mounts and companions that don't come from the Zen store can still be upgraded using Astral Diamonds, which are the primary currency in the game, and that AD can be exchanged for Zen, the store currency.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    Cryptic never charges for content, you won't ever have to pay to gain entry to a quest. Even things like basic companions and mounts can be gained in-game either for free (like the companions) or for just a few gold (your first mount). Spending money on the game will yield faster or fancier mounts from the store, dye packs for your armor, fashion items like hats and clothes, that stuff.

It's worth noting that the mounts and companions that don't come from the Zen store can still be upgraded using Astral Diamonds, which are the primary currency in the game, and that AD can be exchanged for Zen, the store currency.

So you can get armor dyes and stuff for free still?
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    wow wow talk about super defense force jumping on a guy pointing out that, while all F2P games are there trying to make money off you, this one is a little too blatant at it.

I mean whats the point in gold? why not have enemies just drop AD and have the items that cost gold, cost AD instead? Then I think everyone would be oh that's fine its like any other F2P game ever... this game is Pioneering a new system for in game currency's, and pioneering aint always good... just look at capcom and DLC to see what I mean
  • Options
    dreffendreffen Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    walker wrote: »
    wow wow talk about super defense force jumping on a guy pointing out that, while all F2P games are there trying to make money off you, this one is a little too blatant at it. mean

I see that you haven't played many of the more egregious models that litter the f2p market
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    dreffen wrote: »
    I see that you haven't played many of the more egregious models that litter the f2p market

Which game would you relate this to?
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    SWTOR, while I enjoyed the game before it went F2P, was the most ridiculous model I have seen, they nickel and dime for everything. You want to display your guild tag?... you want to display your legacy?... your first title?... your second title?... all of them cost! To do more than 3 PVP matches in a week on character cost money, to roll on items in a dungeon more than 3 times per week cost. This game gives you all the content for free! What more can you ask for?
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    Which game would you relate this to?

You could try the alternate Dungeons and Dragons MMO. During character creation, the game informs you that if you are willing to pay, you can start at a higher level than others, and have more attribute points to spend on core abilities. Every time you look at your character's stats, it reminds you that you can purchase extra stat points from the store. Every time you get "energy drained," a common attack from undead enemies, a pop-up says, "buy a potion from the store to remove this effect!" Nine out of ten of the adventures have to be paid for before you can enter them, and have a big store icon above the quest givers.

Trust me, it could be worse.
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You could try the alternate Dungeons and Dragons MMO. During character creation, the game informs you that if you are willing to pay, you can start at a higher level than others, and have more attribute points to spend on core abilities. Every time you look at your character's stats, it reminds you that you can purchase extra stat points from the store. Every time you get "energy drained," a common attack from undead enemies, a pop-up says, "buy a potion from the store to remove this effect!" Nine out of ten of the adventures have to be paid for before you can enter them, and have a big store icon above the quest givers.

OH MY GOD!!!!

yes ok il admit neverwinter compared to THAT! aint bad.... wth is that MMO owned by EA or something?

but still the way they handle currency in neverwinter is still leaning towards an almost constant reminder to the player that unless they pay money they will never get anything decent ever.

see the way I like a F2P MMO to work is like some new player comes in... and looks at a mount store... as an example and sees a huge variety of awsome horses and a few other things as well, like a mount rewarded for PvP or one you can trade dungeon tokens in for (you know stuff he really has to work hard for INGAME but still looks cool) and then he looks at the premium item zen store and sees that he could just buy an EVEN cooler mount.... like a horse... THATS ON FIRE! right now for real money....

that's fine.... im ok with that, but not when the entire currency system is stacked against you so that all you can ever buy if you never use the AH within say.... a YEAR is a fricken bay gelding pony which may or may not come with a saddle and probably has some sort of hoof rot.
  • Options
    khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually, I agree with the OP. It took me a while to realize just how badly Cryptic is pushing this model. Consider how quickly the AD costs add up. If it's in one or two places, that's fine, but almost literally everything costs AD. Gold is truly the secondary currency here... and this is a problem. The deal-breaker was when Cryptic's greatest strength, character visual design, was given the AD treatment. It costs me AD to change my appearance -once-. This is entirely and utterly unacceptable for me. It's -wrong-, given how strong Cryptic is in other games on this fact. It's like they've forgotten what's made them good.

And that's it. They've forgotten the heart of their games. I don't know how many people who worked on PWE worked for Cryptic before the buy-out, but being PWE's first real release alongside Cryptic, I have to say. I'm not impressed. I miss Cryptic.
  • Options
    diabeastiesdiabeasties Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just because another game is worse in terms of their f2p model doesn't delegitimize any of the claims made by the OP.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013

And best of all...
    There is no way around that cost...
    Unless you want to make throw away accounts and repeat the same handful of cash rewarding options over and over and over again.

Get rewarded for playing the game? No! That just makes too much sense. Subscribe to play content or pay us a small fortune.
    Or make hundreds of throw away accounts. The choice is yours but always remember you have to pay us something if you truly want to enjoy the game.

No DDO doesn't justify NW...
    But Neverwinter is by no means bad IMO. Some prices are high...but many of the high prices are per character unlocks.
    Top it off with the fact you get paid to play the game and you can easily save yourself a substanial amount just by playing the game. You have to factor in that you are essencially paid to play. :p

Without a doubt that is factored into the prices.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    walker wrote: »
    OH MY GOD!!!!

yes ok il admit neverwinter compared to THAT! aint bad.... wth is that MMO owned by EA or something?

but still the way they handle currency in neverwinter is still leaning towards an almost constant reminder to the player that unless they pay money they will never get anything decent ever.

see the way I like a F2P MMO to work is like some new player comes in... and looks at a mount store... as an example and sees a huge variety of awsome horses and a few other things as well, like a mount rewarded for PvP or one you can trade dungeon tokens in for (you know stuff he really has to work hard for INGAME but still looks cool) and then he looks at the premium item zen store and sees that he could just buy an EVEN cooler mount.... like a horse... THATS ON FIRE! right now for real money....

that's fine.... im ok with that, but not when the entire currency system is stacked against you so that all you can ever buy if you never use the AH within say.... a YEAR is a fricken bay gelding pony which may or ma ynot come with a saddle and probably has some sort of hoof rot

There is no power difference between players that pay and those that do not. Luxury items, sure, but no difference in your ability to play the game. In ToR, every time you turn a quest in you are advised that you could be earning more XP or getting better options.