test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Wow this nickel and dime approach is fast turning me off.

Comments

• Options
    madcat124madcat124 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    And best of all...
    There is no way around that cost...
    Unless you want to make throw away accounts and repeat the same handful of cash rewarding options over and over and over again.

Get rewarded for playing the game? No! That just makes too much sense. Subscribe to play content or pay us a small fortune.
    Or make hundreds of throw away accounts. The choice is yours but always remember you have to pay us something if you truly want to enjoy the game.

No DDO doesn't justify NW...
    But Neverwinter is by no means bad IMO. Some prices are high...but many of the high prices are per character unlocks.
    Top it off with the fact you get paid to play the game and you can easily save yourself a substanial amount just by playing the game. You have to factor in that you are essencially paid to play. :p

Without a doubt that is factored into the prices.

How Exactly do you go about making money though?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited April 2013
    Play. Earn Astral Diamonds. Use them to buy some items directly or trade for Zen.

This is one of the few games I know of in which a person does not have to specifically pay to obtain cash credit.
  • Options
    moonraisamoonraisa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7
    edited April 2013
    Yeah just look at the Nightmare Mount that comes from Tarmalune Trade Bars. 2500 Bars for the mount, with 10 bars coming from each box, so that's 250 boxes. At $1.12 per key, that's $280 for the mount, are you f'n kidding me?

I spend money on games, it's my hobby, and I'll easily shell out $25-30 for a really <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> looking mount. That's more than the average person will spend, but $280? Is this real life?
  • Options
    elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm successfully converting 1g for 10k AD now (won't last long I expect but OP is playing NOW as well). So ID scroll is like 49coppers? Expensive :) Buying even tool kits for AD as it is better deal.

Stop complaining, prove your intelligence and find a way.
  • Options
    gocubsgocubs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I would like the option to buy a bank slot with gold or diamonds.
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    moonraisa wrote: »
    Yeah just look at the Nightmare Mount that comes from Tarmalune Trade Bars. 2500 Bars for the mount, with 10 bars coming from each box, so that's 250 boxes. At $1.12 per key, that's $280 for the mount, are you f'n kidding me?

It is just a tier 3 mount, with the same speed as all other tier 3 mounts. It looks differently, that is all. There are plenty of cool mounts in the game. If you are someone who MUST have everything, then that will be expensive. If you just want a mount to get from place A to B, there are plenty to chose from.

Besides, it can be as cheap as $1.25 if you get it in you first box. :) The one from the NPC is just for people who have no luck at all. Also, I have seen one in the AH for 2 million AD. That is not $250, not even close to it.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • Options
    imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gocubs wrote: »
    I would like the option to buy a bank slot with gold or diamonds.

You have that option. Convert the AD in the in-game AD/Zen exchange and use the Zen to get the bank slot. I think it was $6 or $8? That is pretty do-able through ADs.
  • Options
    gocubsgocubs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    You have that option. Convert the AD in the in-game AD/Zen exchange and use the Zen to get the bank slot. I think it was $6 or $8? That is pretty do-able through ADs.

Why jump through the hoops give me an option to use gold to buy a bank slot.
  • Options
    abaddonxkabaddonxk Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    moonraisa wrote: »

I spend money on games, it's my hobby, and I'll easily shell out $25-30 for a really <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> looking mount. That's more than the average person will spend, but $280? Is this real life?

No, that's $280 for the hordes of stuff you got from the lockboxes that likely is worth more than $280 and a horse. You're also ignoring that you can get more than 10 bars (10 is guaranteed, more is random) and that you can receive 20k~60k AD which will pay for 0.32~0.96 keys at the current exchange rates (0.8~2.4 keys eventually, assuming the AD:Zen ratio stabilizes at 200:1 like other Cryptic games), as well as the fact that you can sell other rewards you don't want on the AH for AD.

Because the currency tradable for cash shop currency needs to be limited. Gold is not limited. AD is limited to 24k a day per person, so it is very easily regulatable.
  • Options
    trickshawtrickshaw Member Posts: 497 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'll give the OP 2,000,000 AD to relentlessly grovel and proclaim Neverwinter to be the best F2P MMO ever made and must continue to do so on the forums for the next 2 weeks. Modification of your signature would be an acceptable alternative to the continuance of the agreement.

Ball's in your court.

How bad do you want them bank slots?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gvkprimegvkprime Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    walker wrote: »
    wow wow talk about super defense force jumping on a guy pointing out that, while all F2P games are there trying to make money off you, this one is a little too blatant at it.

I mean whats the point in gold? why not have enemies just drop AD and have the items that cost gold, cost AD instead? Then I think everyone would be oh that's fine its like any other F2P game ever... this game is Pioneering a new system for in game currency's, and pioneering aint always good... just look at capcom and DLC to see what I mean

Jeez, I know! People are trying to debunk his argument that this game is nickle and dimeing him to death (or quiting)!

On a less saterical note. The original argument or at least the example that the OP used was stupid and non sensical thats why everyone is "Super Defence Force" about it.

On the first point AD is not earned via a real world cash monetary system, it can be but there are plenty of ways that it can be earned in game without spending Zen or real cash. And the second point is, OMG you are *****ing about 45 bloody AD? You can earn 1000 - 3000 bloody AD with one daily quest! I think the costs they put in for the live version of the game are more then reasonable on the ID scroll front.

This of anything is not the thing we should be *****ing them out for.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Because it's not a B2P or subscription based MMO where you only have one currency. You got at least 2M AD with your founder pack, just exchange some of them. (I would wait until the rates get better -- right now it is close to 500 AD for 1 Zen, and this should go down soon.)
  • Options
    dreamo1984dreamo1984 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    why don't you just earn your AD in game then? and if you are a HOTN you should have 2million AD! don't tell you spent all that. I haven't even touched my AD yet at lvl 20
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Me either. I actually bought an additional 2M at the in-game exchange. :)
  • Options
    lordfuzunlordfuzun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    I've played several micro transaction games but the prices and structure in this game is really turning me off.

Do you really have to spend 45 AD for a SINGLE level 30 identify scroll? I have an inventory full of non-ID'd stuff. Doing the math on what that translates to real world currency is shocking when you add up all the "necessities" you need just to play. And this after spending $200 on the game?

For the $200 package I get 8 bank slots... wow.

Really getting turned off. I can understand some of the luxury items or cosmetic stuff costing AD or Xen. Spamming skirmishes and dungeons as fast as the queue warrants I look at the AD gain and what upkeep costs and it just doesn't make sense.

IMHO LOTRO had micro-transactions down perfect. I'd rather pay a monthly fee than this model. Same gut-wrenching feeling you'd get if you took a 10 year old junker into a shady mechanic.

The pricing structure is how the game is set up. The game totally free to play. You don't have to spent a penny(US) to get anything in the game (well except the time to do so). The is allows you to play all of the content and level to the end game. That doesn't mean it will always be convenient. If you want convenience that is where the real money (or AD -> Zen exchange) omes into play, and where PWE makes their money.

And if you play the pCe content of the game, you'll find that you'll get more than enough ID scrolls for your needs. I usually buy a small starter pool of 10-20 scrolls for a new character or new tier of items. I've never had to buy any additional scrolls. And I identify all of the loot that I receive whether I can use the gear or not. I'd have done this through BW3-4 for every character that I've created (current standing at 6)
  • Options
    the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Not really seeing a problem here. Does anyone else remember when the ID scrolls were 800 AD? yeah, quit complainin seriously it could be WAY worse.

The whole thing with the 200 kit tho could have been enhanced for those of us who paid i mean a 10 slot bag is not my idea of the best thing to give those of us who basically funded the game. So I agree with him there.

yeah I agree with Foxspirit13 this is so not nickle and diming LOL SWTOR took on the early SOE model for F2P and it is horrendous.

Finally I have to say that if you think paying a monthly fee is going to give you better items you're sadly mistaken, even LOTRO had very little currency per month on a monthly fee basis. Really wasn't worth it and the only reason I got the monthly fee in the beginning for LOTRO was because they cut off content, be glad this game doesn't do that. So far STO/NW has had the best F2P model ever and this is coming from a former GW2 fanboy (me) yeah I thought they had the best system until in November they cut off all meaningful loot from the open world and implemented a limit on dungeons (Diminished Returns) so people couldn't make as much gold. Talk about nickle and dime!
  • Options
    deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Isnt OP the same guy that was all in a huff because someone named their toon after someone from a DnD book?

:|

Perspective.
  • Options
    sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    I am not entirely upset with their F2P model as the OP is, but I do have some issue with the founders pack items in correlation to the zen shop. I originally bought the Guardian pack and eventually went ahead and got the HotN pack mainly for the play time/mount/menzo. Now that I was able to try everything out I am somewhat disappointed. Got a lot of useless items imo (robe of useless items, item that spawn random <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, and all firework items). Yes, they were in the description and it's probably my own fault for not comparing all of these items to how much I was paying.

Bottom line is when I got into game I ran out of bag space quickly hanging on to many of these "Cosmetic" items. Eventually I had to fill my bank with them, and then to top it off I had an access of runes. I have only received one other bag and I am now lvl 46( total of 3 bag). I am quickly running out of space in my bank even after dumping most of the items I got from HotN. Went ahead and paid the $10 dollars to get bank slots, I plan to play for a long time so it is a necessity. I wouldn't take back my purchase of these founder packs, but I feel that PWE really didn't do much for those of us that were trying to support their game. Think the HotN should've been knocked down atleast $80 dollars or given us more useful items.

TL DR: I don't think after paying $200 I should need to pay any more cash for things like bag space or bank slots(Something I consider standard necessity). If I were to drop more money it should be on cosmetic items/mounts/companions or the like.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    sent8 wrote: »
    TL DR: I don't think after paying $200 I should need to pay any more cash for things like bag space or bank slots(Something I consider standard necessity). If I were to drop more money it should be on cosmetic items/mounts/companions or the like.

If you spent $200, you received 2M Astral Diamonds. At the worst possible exchange rate (500:1), this gives you 4000 Zen, or $40 worth of cash store stuff. If you exchange it at a better rate, e.g. 250:1, you get $80 of cash store stuff. This is quite a bit of bank space and other stuff, considering you also get tier 3 mounts (for ALL characters, and those normally cost $40 for ONE character), purple companions, boosters, etc. It really isn't such a bad deal.
  • Options
    sent8sent8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 70
    edited April 2013
    imivo wrote: »
    If you spent $200, you received 2M Astral Diamonds. At the worst possible exchange rate (500:1), this gives you 4000 Zen, or $40 worth of cash store stuff. If you exchange it at a better rate, e.g. 250:1, you get $80 of cash store stuff. This is quite a bit of bank space and other stuff, considering you also get tier 3 mounts (for ALL characters, and those normally cost $40 for ONE character), purple companions, boosters, etc. It really isn't such a bad deal.

I have been holding back using most of my AD on my main so that I can use it for my main and alts in the future but I think I will need to go ahead and do this atleast for bank slots.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    werealchemistwerealchemist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    i am actually a fan of the F2P model here it is WAAAYYYY better than almost any other F2P mmo I've played.
    that being said I'm getting tired of all the Q.Q (of course i suppose i could just stop reading it lol), but if you don't like it don't play it. simple as that but before you decide that just TRY to go play a game like say DDO without spending some cash, then decide.
    21.jpg
  • Options
    shepherdofmanshepherdofman Member Posts: 169 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I haven't started yet, and I would of made a post myself but new account, but.. Do you really need ID scrolls to use certain gear? Is it only like really good gear that needs ID'd?
    ~They are Lions, and I am their Shepherd~
  • Options
    deacon777deacon777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I haven't started yet, and I would of made a post myself but new account, but.. Do you really need ID scrolls to use certain gear? Is it only like really good gear that needs ID'd?

Yes, but its not all doom and gloom as some are making out to be.

It works like this, all gear dropped by enemies are (usually) unidentified. As such you cant equip it. The gear also states if its something you can use or not. So if a dagger drops and youre a great weapon fighter the item will be red and will state "you cannot use this item"

If you go IDing every single drop you come across, yes, you will run out of scrolls VERY fast. Then you will have to go to the AD vendor to buy scrolls. The caveat to this is, you can sell the items you ID on the auction house for ......... wait for it ........ Thats right! Astral Diamonds!

Can you guess what a good starting point for those pieces of gear would be? Maybe ........ start the items at the cost of what a single scroll goes for from the astral vendor? That way, when they sell above that, you make some profit!

Good rule of thumb for dropped gear? Dont ID it unless you intend to sell it on the AH or think you can wear it. You get enough gear from tokens and dailies and dungeons as it is.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

Most greens+ are not identified, however, I am currently in the 30s and I have never lacked ID scrolls, I ended up with 50+ spare ones for below level 29 items. It is really not a concern.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    that's great to hear. Do you just get them as random monster loot or something? Quest rewards?
  • Options
    anjinsan666anjinsan666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I never had any problem with ID scrolls.Jus dont id the items that are not for your class in the beginning and sell them.You will find enough scrolls througout the game.
  • Options
    streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    deacon777 wrote: »
    Isnt OP the same guy that was all in a huff because someone named their toon after someone from a DnD book?

:|

Perspective.

Yep, it's quite amusing. The one calling people kids demands that he get everything he wants immediately and at no cost.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    I am asking questions and such tryin to see whats goin on in the game. I am trying to avoid anything Pay 2 Win anymore. That stuff gets vicious...

And P2W applies to PvE also. Vindictus is a perfect example of p2w pve. You get kicked from boats if you haven't jacked your gear up in end game. it's silly.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Mid 30s so far and I never felt the need to buy anything, even if I removed the founder's stuff from the picture. The top weapons I see on the NPC vendors for max level all look like grinding stuff, that is: tokens, marks, etc. Provided you make sure you do dailies and stuff for Astral Diamonds, I think you can really play this perfectly fine without ever having to pay.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    That's what I was thinking.. This sounds very very similar to Drakensang, a browser game.

Basically Drakensang also has ID items for gear, but they're hard to come by. Also you can get a special currency from quests to purchase special in game epics.

Slap me on the big toe and call me teddy. :\