test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Wow this nickel and dime approach is fast turning me off.

13»

Comments

• moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    This has one of the better f2p models on the market. Compared to SWTOR this is a candy shop
  • vistolvistol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 66
    edited April 2013
    Using your own experience for ID scrolls drops doesn't negate someone else's experience.

Just because you don't have a problem with a random drop system doesn't mean other's dont.

My first character had no problem getting scrolls. My second got ONE drop between 1 and 15 (outside the "free" drops given for the starting quests).

The down side to the system is that if you have a bad streak of luck you have to buy scrolls with ADs. If you don't, you get to save those ADs.

As far as buying ZEN with Astral Diamonds.. I've been watching the exchange over the weekend. There are rarely people trading ADs for ZEN (at least on Dragon). There are plenty of people buying ZEN with ADs, though.

I wanted to get some ZEN with my ADs, but I didn't see any postings all day. The last posting I had up took almost 8 hours to sell (at the same price people were buying ADs for ZEN).

The system only works when people are offering the ZEN.

As a side note, this community is going in the toilet with so many people eagerly flaming a poster. Almost 7 pages of flames on someone having different luck than you but also spent money to buy the game.

Shameful. I guess that's why F2P games bring out, even though most people have spent several hundred dollars. I hope all those people level 60 enjoyed the 3 days of gameplay.
  • saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    It's not that bad when you are getting ad from almost everything and dis drop decently. Do more of the salvage kits as you sure to get some from them. If you get low a mere 900 ad will stock you up with 20 and should be plenty as you play and loot more.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The ID scrolls things doesn't bother me at all. You can always just not ID greens, especially greens that aren't likely to be an upgrade or are for a different class.

Where I feel it gets a bit excessive is the whole adding enchantments. I don't even bother putting enchantments on my gear while leveling cause you replace the gear so fast and get get charged for every single time you add and remove a gem. And the cost scales significantly based on rank (and maybe gear quality?).

I don't see myself ever utilizing enchantments until I start getting end-game stuff, and to me that speaks of a broken system.
  • saintxiisaintxii Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 100
    edited April 2013
    xantris wrote: »
    The ID scrolls things doesn't bother me at all. You can always just not ID greens, especially greens that aren't likely to be an upgrade or are for a different class.

Where I feel it gets a bit excessive is the whole adding enchantments. I don't even bother putting enchantments on my gear while leveling cause you replace the gear so fast and get get charged for every single time you add and remove a gem. And the cost scales significantly based on rank (and maybe gear quality?).

I don't see myself ever utilizing enchantments until I start getting end-game stuff, and to me that speaks of a broken system.

I only install the limitless one we get from founders pack and never remove them lol. Having the xp boost enchant is nice though but yeah The removal fees suck
  • moodaymooday Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited April 2013
    xantris wrote: »

be clear: you don't get charged when you add the gem to the item or companion. You get charged to REMOVE the gem. I haven't encountered a situation where I wanted to keep the old gem in my old lower level gear.
  • elenoe8elenoe8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    gocubs wrote: »
    Why jump through the hoops give me an option to use gold to buy a bank slot.
    no, it is set to be for ZEN. The need of exchanging AD for ZEN is not for make it more "complex", but SOMEONE has to pay for that bank slots with real money. Just not necessarily you.
  • gyloirgyloir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The prices seem quite steep to me.

I play League of Legends (the most-played f2p game on the market) and their prices for most things are generally seen as reasonable, for skins 5'ish-10 bucks, which they have on sale and offer cheaper (if you can wait for them) among other things people can buy. A few skins are higher, but ones that are done completely new, every detail new, model, particles, voices, etc.

I have probably spent around 150-200'ish playing it over a couple years, and that's more then I spent on most recent mmo's (even ones with a sub-fee).

Because things seem fairly priced, not super expensive, and ones that are 15-20 bucks seem worth it for all the new things it has.

So far from what I've seen of the cash shop things just all seem really really high and there's not a lot of in between, at least as far as cosmetic items go.
  • imivoimivo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,682 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    gyloir wrote: »
    So far from what I've seen of the cash shop things just all seem really really high and there's not a lot of in between, at least as far as cosmetic items go.

There isn't very much in the cash store. LoL does have a lot more stuff, and besides being a different genre, it is also a competitive game.

What do you really need to pay for in Neverwinter? I think useful things may be a large bag (you get some while questing) and the additional bank space, and perhaps character slots (two for $5), and a respec token here or there. Then you have about the same as you do in a "normal" MMO, and you haven't paid much more than the price of a boxed game. The rest is vanity stuff that is sold even in subscription-based games, and they don't give you any way to earn the currency in the game. Here, you can.

I really think this model is the best F2P variant I have seen anywhere.
    Unsure about skills and feats? Check the Master List of Class Builds!
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    Pfft... if you think this is nickel and diming you, then you have havent played SWTOR.

Speaks the truth, this one does
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm not sure how it's a "nickel and dime approach" when you can easily get AD in game for no cost other than a time investment. Start doing the daily quests and end up getting AD for things you'd be doing anyway.

Prior to level 30 I only had to buy a few ID scrolls and that was from identifying ever single item even for classes other than my own just because I've been trying to get a bit of gold saved up for kits and potions and such. It does seem there's more stuff that needs identifying once you get 30+ but even then I haven't had to buy that many identification scrolls.

While there may be things worth complaining about in this game this isn't one of them.
  • frost168frost168 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    <removed> Gamers now adays think they are OWED everything in a game and no longer have to play for it. If this was a subscription based game, and u didn't have the Zen feature, what incentive do they have to offer the mounts or cool companions for less AD's than they are now? That would be what u are playing for. To save up and purchase over time. Why do u feel that u just have to have it now, and are owed that by the company? That is part of the game, something that makes u want to play, makes u want to log in every day, to accumulate what u need to get something special. Want to bypass the grind, fork over real life cash. Don't want to spend cash, then play the dang game. Two options is much better than one.

<removed>
  • ichbinichbin Member, Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I think the real problem isn't the nickel & diming. <removed>
  • streamofsolacestreamofsolace Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    vistol wrote: »
    As far as buying ZEN with Astral Diamonds.. I've been watching the exchange over the weekend. There are rarely people trading ADs for ZEN (at least on Dragon). There are plenty of people buying ZEN with ADs, though.

I wanted to get some ZEN with my ADs, but I didn't see any postings all day. The last posting I had up took almost 8 hours to sell (at the same price people were buying ADs for ZEN).

The system only works when people are offering the ZEN.

The market currently heavily favours Zen holders because everyone playing either got 2m or 600k "free" AD, and as such have more AD than they normally would. At the same time, initial purchases also favour Zen due to bags and companions (for people that don't want to pair with a striker, but still want a overpowered pet). Finally, people who purchased the HotN pack, and maybe even the Guardian pack, but are on a budget likely allocated their budget for this game or gaming in general to the pack already, leaving them "no option" to buy Zen.

The Zen:AD market should correct itself in time.