What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Next Class You Want To See After Release

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I notice many people say that classes from PHB1 should be complete prior to PHB2. I think that is true to a point, but we should also take Forgotten Realms lore into account when considering classes. If anyone has read the Icewind Dale series form the Drizzt novels, then you would know that Barbarians are a staple of Forgotten Realms (Wulfgar anyone!).

The number of edition has nothing to do with the way classes will be presented imo. Barbarian monsters are already in - Vellosk. The Forsaken make an excellent choice for barbarian and other primal classes.

My belief is that popular classes will make it in first - like Paladin, bard, melee-cleric and druid - before we start to see other classes.
  • Options
    arnathosarnathos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would like to see a Psion Dreamwalker, Seeker Crimson Hunter or a Runepriest Light Bringer,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My tops would be:

Avenging Paladin
    This is a no-brainer...what's DnD without Paladins? That's like making PB and J sandwiches without the bread. You can do it...but it is messy and not nearly as wholesome.

Archery Ranger
    I read the melee Ranger is already in the game's software code...but we need bows! When I think of DnD, I sometimes think of a lone Elf Ranger standing on a hilltop, strumming his bow for one final long-shot arrow strike right into my mother-in-law...um...I meant monster...right into the monster...anywhooo...

Shielding Swordmage
    I'm sorry...the whole swordmage concept is just too cool to not introduce. If a FTP MMO wants paying players...I think introducing the unbearably cool classes/builds would really get customers' attentions.

Battle Cleric
    We need a healer that has melee capabilities. While I would choose the Avenging Paladin before the Battle Cleric...let's not kid ourselves...there would be many a player who wants this in as soon as possible.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    natemathnatemath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My tops would be:

Avenging Paladin
    This is a no-brainer...what's DnD without Paladins? That's like making PB and J sandwiches without the bread. You can do it...but it is messy and not nearly as wholesome.

Archery Ranger
    I read the melee Ranger is already in the game's software code...but we need bows! When I think of DnD, I sometimes think of a lone Elf Ranger standing on a hilltop, strumming his bow for one final long-shot arrow strike right into my mother-in-law...um...I meant monster...right into the monster...anywhooo...

Shielding Swordmage
    I'm sorry...the whole swordmage concept is just too cool to not introduce. If a FTP MMO wants paying players...I think introducing the unbearably cool classes/builds would really get customers' attentions.

Battle Cleric
    We need a healer that has melee capabilities. While I would choose the Avenging Paladin before the Battle Cleric...let's not kid ourselves...there would be many a player who wants this in as soon as possible.

This ^ i whole heartedly agree on.
    13.jpg
  • Options
    galthisgalthis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Also agree with Godofthorns totally excellent post.

My wish is for a ranged damage spec with some type of off heal capability as a secondary role. Yes, balance it and really cut into DPS if you choose to employ your secondary role.

Some years back now but I remember playing I think it was a Nec/Lock in Rift that was a blast in that dual role. Ranger also I could see in this role, I think maybe they lost spells in 4e but they still have some attachment to some divine or other power, i don't know I'm far from a rules expert.

If the game is trying to de-emphasize the trinity, then the more off heal type potential builds the better.

Logistically on the battlefield, with the demise of icon and tab targetting, it would seem easier to effectively survey the field from range. Given the IP, a melee cleric and a palidan are a must eventually and hopefully soon. I'm just thick maybe but I've been wondering how melee healers would function in this combat style. Maybe with auras or cones, or maybe the cleric will get a really big rear view mirror on his shield.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Rangers in 4e are totally martial based as their power source now. So no spells or true mysticism. They do have a few skills (pnp term powers/exploits) that provide a touch of healing or leadership abilities throughout their range of exploits. I think there are even paragon paths fit for archery rangers that have some off leadership qualities just as the two weapon fighting ranger has some off defender qualities, making the base class pretty versatile.

A melee healer would be pretty cool with pbaoe's splash healing on hit, regens etc. But a cleric in 4e isn't just a healer, its a leader, so the Battle Cleric could function as a means to provide some healing, not as much as the divine, but provide buffs centered around those in the thick of battle.

Actually I think the Chanter from Aion would be a good example of that sort of play.
  • Options
    dthehunterdthehunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ranger build - Archery,Two Weapon Fighting or Beast Master

Whats the fun of having a Menzoberranzan Renegade if they can not be Rangers?
    When a prince uses force, he acts like a beast. He must learn to act like two types of beasts: lions and foxes. A fox is defenseless against wolves; a lion is defenseless against traps. Chapter XVIII: of il principe
    BBCmIW9.png
    http://www.zinzerena.com
  • Options
    rufusscipio23rufusscipio23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My tops would be:

Avenging Paladin

Archery Ranger

Shielding Swordmage

Battle Cleric
    This right here. Personally I think the classes need to be a little retooled, so you have wizard, cleric etc, and you insert your own flavor by picking your own feats, spells etc from a larger pool. That would be what I would prefer. However, I would be perfectly satisfied with simply 3 types or so for each class. Control wizard, battlewizard, defensive wizard. For something like palies and clerics perhaps do it by alignment and deity. Holy, avenging, and blackguard perhaps? that sort of thing. If yall could just work toward that I would be pretty satisfied.
    An alternate idea would be to release a class generator in the foundry that would only work in the foundry, and use the community feedback you get from that to help choose and release classes.
  • Options
    kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Blackguard is it's own class in 4e They're not evil by design either, just dark.

To get ontopic. My picks would be Two weapon ranger, Bard and Shielding Swordmage. Swordmage could be a nice unique class to draw people in, no one expects a mage to have a sword and tank.
  • Options
    ben6989ben6989 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Personally, I'd like to see Warlord in there as soon as possible. Preferably Tactical but Inspiring would be fine with me, Warlord's my favorite class in 4e.
  • Options
    trothartrothar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Warlock. Followed by Ranger, Paladin, and Warlord. Don't want to see the PhB2, and 3 classes until the rest of the PhB builds are released.

^This.

It expands all the options of play and has the most D&D feel to it.
  • Options
    corniviccornivic Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love a pet summoner, I think they are called Necromancers and Warlocks here =) I would love a magic person that can take massive damage like a tank if D&D have those. Barbarian, I want to swing two giant axes :P
    bismar7 wrote: »
    no one else wants to see Psionics?? :(

I would! I only seen them in two games. I always by a fan of psionics, mostly telekinesis but it still cool.
  • Options
    edited March 2013
    cornivic wrote: »
    I would love a magic person that can take massive damage like a tank if D&D have those

Shielding Swordmage. Defender's with one handed sword using arcane magic.
  • Options
    pyrophoriapyrophoria Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    We know the Scourge Warlock is in the game, just not playable.. I WANT THAT!
  • Options
    bismar7bismar7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 252 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Psions are very rare in Forgotten Realms. The monks in FR are those who are not well versed with arts of psions. The monks in FR are the kind of NPC monks who die with one hit and use candles to write books in darkness. Check 4e Intro on how the few psions that are there are tied to FR and why they are very rare.

So my guess is that psions will coe into picture very late after many other more common classes are introduced.

p.s. Monks are also psionic in nature.

Thats sad because one character I've always wanted to play is someone like Kimmuriel Oblodra. Well Hopefully they will get around to it eventually.
    26.jpg
  • Options
    anur86anur86 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Would love to see a archer spec Ranger and dps or tank Paladins.
  • Options
    narcrighternarcrighter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I see this strictly from the point of view of marketing. Although this is a free-to-play game, they want people to spend money on Founders' Packs and other items in game. They could market to the kids, but the real demographic with disposable income are the folks who are actually working for a living and grew up on 1st & 2nd edition rules.

I think the next classes should be:

Leader: Bard
    Defender: Paladin
    Striker: Ranger
    Controller: Druid
    GLORIOUS BATTLE!!
  • Options
    dagger2thugtrap7dagger2thugtrap7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    I'd love to see Nature Summoner!
  • Options
    qwey77qwey77 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ranger
    Paladin
    Necromancer
  • Options
    darthkarindradarthkarindra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Warlock all the way for me. My favourite 4th ed class after sorcerer.
  • Options
    normanoftharnormanofthar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited March 2013
    My tops would be:

Avenging Paladin

Archery Ranger

Shielding Swordmage

Battle Cleric

+1 (Esp Swordmage)
  • Options
    xdzinxdzin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Bard
    Psion
    Ranger
    Artificer
    Seeker
  • Options
    ilmyarilmyar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'd love to see the Bard, or maybe the Swordmage
  • Options
    reilz1981reilz1981 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    can we just skip on the the paladin all together their just a posh cleric imo
    Actual Join date: Dec 2007
  • Options
    buhnerbuhner Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    It wouldn't be D&D without the basics. The first few classes they need to add would be ranger, paladin, bard, monk, and druid. As long as they have one decent version of each of these classes they will have the main classes most people look for in D&D.

Personally I think they need to do away with having multiple versions of each class. There is no point in having multiple versions of a fighter when one class with a bunch of options would be the better choice...
  • Options
    ricktacularricktacular Member Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm going to have to say Paladin, so I can properly make my main. Eventually I'd like to make my entire party from the ol' Gold Box days, but I'd like to start with my Paladin. :)

And of course, all the other classes stated previously. How many classes are there in the books? That's how many we need implemented. ;)
  • Options
    argantisargantis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I would love to see a protecting paladin. I could live with an avenging, and there are some interesting crit build tanks out there as well. Whatever way they decide to do it, I don't really care, I just want a defender role paladin.
  • Options
    bjac9bjac9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited March 2013
    Paladins! FOR THE MIGHT OF HELM!
  • Options
    volcxxxvolcxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    yup, paladin or malee cleric
    5cm82e.jpg
    Old "Blood and Sand: Unchained" quest
    Played more than 100 000 times!
    > TRY IT NOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ecy4o6JqLc
  • Options
    drvonguppensteindrvonguppenstein Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    plz a ranger elves need rangers