test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forced to use Pets/Companions?

Comments

• ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Your pet doesn't have to be a companion by nature though. It can be a master vs pet instead of a friendship. You can train wolves and hawks and dogs etc to do your bidding.
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I disagree with restricting animals to rangers and druids. First off, most rangers and druids in 4E don't have companions. The Beastmaster Ranger is widely considered the weakest build of ranger, and the Sentinel Druid is unpopular due to its status as an Essentials subclass. Companions in 4E also were balanced by the owner giving up actions in order to let the pet do anything other than move. I'm not sure an actual pet class would really go over too well with the kind of combat going on in this game, judging by the videos I've seen. But, even then, you also have the Shaman, which was probably the first class in 4E to have a truly successful pet functionality. Sorcerers and Wizards would want them, too, to serve as familiars.

But, the devs have said before that Neverwinter is not truly based only on 4E D&D. It's simply based on D&D. In that case, the number of people using pets goes up. I had a Holy Liberator in 3.5 that had a wolf companion. True Necromancers could raise undead servants to fight for them.

IF (and that's a big if) Cryptic were to start programming pet classes into the game, then I'd hope that they'd be more powerful than TotalBiscuit's little hawk he had. Something more like a WoW warlock's felguard or an EQ2 conjurer's air elemental, rather than what amounts to a small DoT with a graphic. In such a case, I'd imagine it would be okay for said pet class to have both class pet and companion out.
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    If they do have Conjurers/Summoners/Rangers/whatever, they'll probably work a lot like they did in Guild Wars. Extra damage, unique skills to them, will probably have unique ones only they can get, or will have buffs that make theirs a lot more powerful. I wouldn't go into this thinking they'll screw them over. If anything, I really hope they look to RF Online for inspiration, or Aion's Spiritcaller. Elemental Summons would be incredibly awesome, perhaps they can even have 2 Summons at once. They might even turn off companions for larger raids.

Personally, I'd rather they turn off pets in and the like if you have more than 3 people in an instance. Or make higher difficulties take them out. A pet overflow would be INSANE. I just don't know how they'll balance it all out though. We can only hope they find a way to balance it all.
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I disagree with restricting animals to rangers and druids. First off, most rangers and druids in 4E don't have companions. The Beastmaster Ranger is widely considered the weakest build of ranger, and the Sentinel Druid is unpopular due to its status as an Essentials subclass. Companions in 4E also were balanced by the owner giving up actions in order to let the pet do anything other than move. I'm not sure an actual pet class would really go over too well with the kind of combat going on in this game, judging by the videos I've seen. But, even then, you also have the Shaman, which was probably the first class in 4E to have a truly successful pet functionality. Sorcerers and Wizards would want them, too, to serve as familiars.

But, the devs have said before that Neverwinter is not truly based only on 4E D&D. It's simply based on D&D. In that case, the number of people using pets goes up. I had a Holy Liberator in 3.5 that had a wolf companion. True Necromancers could raise undead servants to fight for them.

IF (and that's a big if) Cryptic were to start programming pet classes into the game, then I'd hope that they'd be more powerful than TotalBiscuit's little hawk he had. Something more like a WoW warlock's felguard or an EQ2 conjurer's air elemental, rather than what amounts to a small DoT with a graphic. In such a case, I'd imagine it would be okay for said pet class to have both class pet and companion out.

Actually in one of the videos I watched, they were talking about companions and one of the developers said there was plans to have class based animal companions etc as well, and they would be separate from the ones all characters could get. I took that to mean that say a ranger or druid could end up with 2 companions out at once (one from their class, and one from the normal companion system.). The developer said something about certain classes having their own summons etc.

Might even have been the total biscut one not that I think about it.
  • szaaszaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I like the feature with pets, its going to be a wonderful thing really. Dont know what all the fuzz is about in this thread ;<
    I am Sza of Aesir Online Community - Gaming

One of the biggest swedish/norwegian online gaming communities - visit us at www.aoc-gaming.se
  • xbattleheartxxbattleheartx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 30
    edited March 2013
    In other games I’ve played where pets become a problem with larger groups (raids), the raid leader would simply request all pets be put to stable for the raid. Really no issues other than those associated with lag, IMO. The idea of familiars is interesting.
    Into the Heart of Battle I go - blade sharp and purpose clear...
  • vorathianvorathian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    c'mon I know everyone will probably cry about this and flame me but y'all know this to be true.
  • ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Who died and made you in charge of what is and what is not D&D?

Just curious, because I'd like to send flowers to the deceased.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Since when cannot a players hire someone to carry the torch? Or to "disable" traps? (if you know what I mean) Or fight alongside the party? And characters attracting cohorts is not unknown in D&D. They required more level than our level 16 in Neverwinter (level 5 PnP?).
  • bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Yeah but Henchmen, and companions are. Especially in the case of NWN1, and 2.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Since when cannot a players hire someone to carry the torch? Or to "disable" traps? (if you know what I mean) Or fight alongside the party? And characters attracting cohorts is not unknown in D&D. They required more level than our level 16 in Neverwinter (level 5 PnP?).

Haha! I'm just comparing how long it would take me to get to level 5 in pnp to how long it would take to get to level 16 in NWO....
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There have been mechanics for paid and unpaid followers since at least 2e, perhaps even 1e.

Animal/elemental pets- yes, tend to be more for druids, rangers, wizards- but, they decided to give everyone options.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vorathianvorathian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    this game has officially become candy land with swords...everyone gets everything so all classes are pretty much the same. *cough* wow *cough*
  • kimonagikimonagi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    There have been mechanics for paid and unpaid followers since at least 2e, perhaps even 1e.

Animal/elemental pets- yes, tend to be more for druids, rangers, wizards- but, they decided to give everyone options.

Think they were always there. Dont remember which edition it was but the DM guide even had charts for henchmans. You could attract a following starting at level 9, build keeps and promote them to various functions.
  • devoneauxdevoneaux Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Oh look, this discussion again. Anyone mind if I contact a community manager to lock this thread and direct the poster to any number of threads on the subject?
  • rohk007rohk007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    vorathian wrote: »
    this game has officially become candy land with swords...everyone gets everything so all classes are pretty much the same. *cough* wow *cough*

See you at launch....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2013
    kimonagi wrote: »
    Think they were always there. Dont remember which edition it was but the DM guide even had charts for henchmans. You could attract a following starting at level 9, build keeps and promote them to various functions.

I'll be honest, the pets thing bothers me, not so much because it doesn't fit the game (and it does), but because it reminds me of all those chibi korean mmo things...You know, those?
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    shiaika wrote: »

Pretty much this^

Though, the question then becomes: Are "pets" in NWO like henchmen and cohorts in old D&D? Or are they more like typical pet-class "pets"?

Also, you could get or hire more than one henchmen in D&D. They'd just be lining up in a tavern waiting for adventurers willing to spare the coin in exchange for their skills. How much a akin to that is NWO's "pet" system? Can we hire someone from a tavern for a limited time using in-game currency, or do we have to "buy" them from the store and "summon" when want to use them like a pet-class? And how many can we get? Some older editions used Cha as the ability to determine number of henchmen.
    Who died and made you in charge of what is and what is not D&D?

Just curious, because I'd like to send flowers to the deceased.

I did....HURK!

*Keels over and slumps to the floor in a bloody heap*
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    Pretty much this^

Though, the question then becomes: Are "pets" in NWO like henchmen and cohorts in old D&D? Or are they more like typical pet-class "pets"?

Also, you could get or hire more than one henchmen in D&D. They'd just be lining up in a tavern waiting for adventurers willing to spare the coin in exchange for their skills. How much a akin to that is NWO's "pet" system? Can we hire someone from a tavern for a limited time using in-game currency, or do we have to "buy" them from the store and "summon" when want to use them like a pet-class? And how many can we get? Some older editions used Cha as the ability to determine number of henchmen.

Don't forget, they only want to be paid in AD, as well...
  • exterminosexterminos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited March 2013
    I need a better argument than you all know its true.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    or do we have to "buy" them from the store and "summon" when want to use them like a pet-class?

Mmmmm slaves.....
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2013
    vorathian wrote: »
    c'mon I know everyone will probably cry about this and flame me but y'all know this to be true.
    I'm not sure what D&D you've been playing but Companions, Henchmen, Animal Followers, Slaves, and all sorts of "pets" have always been a part of D&D. There's even rules for gaining multiple followers at certain levels. Not to forget to mention familiars, animal training, and much more...

Mod Note: A nother thread has been merged with this thread. A few posts may seem out of place but are all of the same topic: Companions/Henchmen
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I'm not sure what D&D you've been playing but Companions, Henchmen, Animal Followers, Slaves, and all sorts of "pets" have always been a part of D&D. There's even rules for gaining multiple followers at certain levels. Not to forget to mention familiars, animal training, and much more...

Mod Note: A nother thread has been merged with this thread. A few posts may seem out of place but are all of the same topic: Companions/Henchmen

Thanks for the note Zebular, for a second I thought I was losing more of my mind.
    edited March 2013
    I don't like it because it forces me to choose between the annoyance of being sub optimal, and the annoyance of dealing with companions...Heads I lose, tails...I also lose!
  • canstromcanstrom Member, Silverstars Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    How bout some custom designed pets/henchmen/companions? I think that would tickle me some color of awesome.
  • the1tiggletthe1tigglet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1
    edited March 2013
    zebular wrote: »

Exactly what I was thinking, I was a priest with many followers and some would go on adventures to defend me in dungeons and all manner of places.
  • kinsaedakinsaeda Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    canstrom wrote: »
    How bout some custom designed pets/henchmen/companions? I think that would tickle me some color of awesome.

I'm hoping for this, that we get to customize the appearance of certain companions.
  • cmajikcmajik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Some of the Zen pets are ridiculous.
  • doug200463doug200463 Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    lol, so what if its weird, i like it.. i cant believe people complain about something like this, just dismiss it already :) and let us that want to use them, use them.
    Clerics need a BUFF! Not a Nerf! Or create another healing class thats able to heal a group well...