test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Forced to use Pets/Companions?

Comments

• bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They should make it like EQ2s mercs., they take part of your gold and XP I believe if you use one, but I won't know till tax return thats when I getting the expansion for the merc. Just an idea, not sure what to do about pets, I don't mind them at all. I understand why some people done want them though. Will use them sometimes.

Edit:
    Maybe not they should, but more like XP and gold going to companions could be an option.
  • velzeburvelzebur Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shado152 wrote: »
    again just like so many people have said if you dont wanna drop 200d on it dont you can get pets ingame those who pay just get one from the get go and if you dont wanna pay 200d its an option just like its an OPTION to use or not use pets ingame

I know its an option but if i choose not to use them ill get gimpet thats all! It's just exordinary irritates me, my bad. :D
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    It looks like you can slot new skins on them, but you don't get sliders or anything like STO.

Lamesauce :(

id make a super small but super muscular dog or maybe a bird big enough to fly me on its back xD
    Beta Testing Pending
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    I expect an etiquette will form quickly for pets in PUGs, which will be:

When soloing, you use a pet that fills in your weaknesses, but when grouping, you switch to the pet that maximizes your strength.

So maybe your DPS uses a Tank or a Healer pet while soloing, but when you team up, you're expected to switch to a DPS pet, just like you'd be expected to maximize your DPS through gear, not your mitigation or healing. If you don't, you're gimping the party, and that's going to be frowned upon.

Hopefully politely. :)
  • hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    Put me in the "I dunno about companions crowd".

I personally think they should take up a party slot. Watching the recent beta vids, 5 companions take up way too much space. It was sometimes hard to follow what was going on with so many bodies running around that weren't enemies.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »
    So maybe your DPS uses a Tank or a Healer pet while soloing, but when you team up, you're expected to switch to a DPS pet, just like you'd be expected to maximize your DPS through gear, not your mitigation or healing.

This makes a lot of sense to me. I'm gonna do this from now on.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes unlockable by level of companion skins.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    Just everyone will run aroun with pets, its just ridicuolusly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>!!
  • trayvintrayvin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    These pets are great and all but full on npc like cleric and wizard pets? wtf? and i dont think you should be able to use pets at all in a party setting. In the videos they have up thers just to much on screen with a 5 man party and 5 pets as well(a couple of them being the npc pets). Pets should ONLY be for soloing.
  • wozniackwozniack Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't see how you are forced to use them, im pretty sure you can unequip them.
  • trayvintrayvin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wozniack wrote: »
    I don't see how you are forced to use them, im pretty sure you can unequip them.

yes you can unequip them but you would be gimping yourselfwhen it comnes to your dps or survivabilty if it was a cleric persay. imagine a %5 buff to your damage im sure you wouldnt just dismiss it. but like i said earlier these should only be used for soloing not group content.
  • wozniackwozniack Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    trayvin wrote: »
    yes you can unequip them but you would be gimping yourselfwhen it comnes to your dps or survivabilty if it was a cleric persay. imagine a %5 buff to your damage im sure you wouldnt just dismiss it. but like i said earlier these should only be used for soloing not group content.

coming from a player who mostly solos and tries to outshine people who stat stack with skill and has never used a class that won't allow me to properly solo, Yes I would dismiss it. only way i see myself using a pet is if im soloing if people wanna group up you all can use your pets its unnecessary for me to have mine. more players = less need for a pet
  • vrtesseractvrtesseract Member Posts: 631 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe there could be something else that can occupy the pet slot for people that hate pets... like a buff tome or figurine something that wont show up in the party but will make up for any dps/healing the pet normally provides and pet classes could have both a tome and a pet or 2 pets to keep them feeling special. this will also keeep stealthers stealthy.

and for the comment about wow i typically had the pets that only drunk people could see on them on my stealther or a pet that wandered around.
  • iamdoctordeathiamdoctordeath Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hirelings, pets, followers- there have been entire books dedicated to this- and even in players handbooks/DM Guides there's often a full chapter about pets/followers.

Personally- I'd like it more if pets... were a bit more class based- an animal for rangers/druids, a familiar for wizards, a standard bearer for knights or pallies, etc... and possible apprentices for all, that would act as permanent pets- while also having hirelings that might be purchased and be temporary allies, not unlike DDO.

All said though- this fits D&D, it fits current mmo trends...

That aside- I think I can agree that in dungeons, pets should take up a slot so they either aren't used in a full party, or a simple stand in not unlike in TOR... 5 people and 5 pets... ya, that might get crowded in the already thin corridors of dungeons.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • askopdkapokaskopdkapok Member Posts: 648 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

You don't have to use your companion. Keep them all idle.
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There are human pets like clerics, and mages - as shown in video.

Yes, but I want a dedicated pet class to summon giant man eating spiders dammit! :p
    edited February 2013
    Maybe there could be something else that can occupy the pet slot for people that hate pets... like a buff tome or figurine something that wont show up in the party but will make up for any dps/healing the pet normally provides and pet classes could have both a tome and a pet or 2 pets to keep them feeling special. this will also keeep stealthers stealthy.

and for the comment about wow i typically had the pets that only drunk people could see on them on my stealther or a pet that wandered around.

100% aggre with you!
  • falcordragonfalcordragon Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The you have to use them if they give ANY advantage argument is flawed... I played a master Mechanic rogue in DDO, even though it wasn't the most optimal for DPS because I LIKED playing that style of character... will there be people who demand the ultimate best DPS / whatever combo is the cookie cutter of the day... of course... I just won't group with those people. :) There will always be casual players and role players who will be glad to group with you unless you're guilded up with an extremely snobby or Hard core guild that only cares about min-maxing the numbers.
  • frostmystalfrostmystal Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So are companions in for this game... similar to SWTOR... humanoid companions not "pets"?

If so is the potential there for a solo player to run around with an ai party?
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not really happy to learn we have to use pets. And yes I know I can simply not use one but when it doesn't take up a party member slot there is absolutely no reason not to use it. I think for what they bring to the table it should occupy a party slot. Because current system boils down to... example: Guardian, Rogue, 2H Fighter, Cleric, Wizard and like 5 random Pet/Companion(s) in your dungeon. Seems like too many cooks in the kitchen. It poo poos on Rangers and Conjurers as well.

Also how fun is it to be a Rogue/Assassin with some random NPC following you.. Thats an RP buzz kill in itself.

Around 17:23

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0E6Yw-M1YY

I don't know about "no reason not to use it." It sounds like you've listed several reason why you wouldn't want a combat pet. I'm not aware of anything that forces you to use the thing. Besides, it's possible that the pets are of a low enough effectiveness that they won't be missed if you don't like them.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So are companions in for this game... similar to SWTOR... humanoid companions not "pets"?

If so is the potential there for a solo player to run around with an ai party?

Maybe not as extensive as SWTOR's Companions like you can't do their quest or form relationships with them, but they do exist. Not entirely sure if you could form an AI party. It seems like you can have 1 pet/henchman out at a time, but depending on the situation determines which Companion you have out. If you are a Rogue or Control Wizard and soloing, then you might want a Tank Henchman out and if you are in a group, then you might want a wizard or dps henchman out.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I personly wont use companions unless they make a huge diference in fight, but the major problem about companions is when cryptic release classe like druids or summoning classes, im wondering how they will deal with it coz its just cant be the same as everyone companions rly :/
  • frostmystalfrostmystal Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I usually play casters or ranged characters in games, so having a tank to assist me is great... especially since I solo. I would rather be able to form my own ai party but hey one companion will suffice....

I will keep this on my radar.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    macabrivs wrote: »
    I personly wont use companions unless they make a huge diference in fight, but the major problem about companions is when cryptic release classe like druids or summoning classes, im wondering how they will deal with it coz its just cant be the same as everyone companions rly :/

The few companions I saw this weekend are helpful in combat, but they're not the equivalent of a character. A pure summoning class would of necessity have much more powerful summoned companions, as they'd be relying on them for most of their damage/healing/mitigation, not for a supplement to it.
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I usually play casters and solo a lot, but for most of the weekend I played a tank. I had the wolf striker pet following me around. It helped a bit with DPS but I don't think they're going to turn the tide of battles much if the wolf is any indication.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • duerdalduerdal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hate pets in mmos,so I'm hoping that the game can be comfortably played without them otherwise this is actually a game killer for me.All that extra computer controlled AI ruins so many good mmos,much rather play the character that I choose without been followed by an annoying follower.
  • arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    And devs are tossing around ideas of larger man content. So imagine a 20-man raid with 20 pets as well =/ Bye bye FPS

this game runs at 60 fps on my 5 year old labtop....
  • elddirelddir Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I found the companions to be little more than a buff with an avatar. Which I thought was perfect :)
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Once I got a Cleric Companion to heal my Guardian Fighter, I never needed potions again. So I love'em. I did have to send her away for training every once in a while, and it started to take a pretty long time (30 minutes to train from level 12 to 13) so it's a good thing I had my trusty Hawk to fill in.

I think they're great and it's very D&D. Two thumbs up.