Options

Drow elf not available for at least 60 days after release, wizard future unsure

Comments

• Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    SO I have one thing to those who say Drow are a basic race
    trikiran wrote: »
    Yup, it's 200$ for a race that is considered basic in D&D 4.0, I already said this would happen. I really worry about other such basic things like classes and how much they will charge to unlock each. I am pretty sure we will see this format with all new races and classes. "buy this class 3 months before other people can play it! Only 99.99$!!!" So yeah....
    Actually Drow is not a in the PH1 of 4.0, in fact it isnt in PH2 or PH3 either or the Neverwinter or FR campaign guides only place Ive seen it is the FR 4.0 Players Guide. So it is a FR specific race, not a basic 4.0 race

There is some of my input on this:p
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    walkerwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    tbh whats the problem with any of this... I was a little worried that people who where not gonna pay $200 would never play drow in this... just like how STO had the borg who only the lifetimers got to play (my bling borg was awesome though gotta love the built in laser sights)

nice to know this shall be rectified in a similar way to the trill
  • Options
    gilbeggerbgilbeggerb Member Posts: 40
    edited February 2013
    How do you set people to ignore?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Credit for image to Shiaika. I just stole it!
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    As a Guardian do I get access to Drow at the start? simple yes or no is all I need to know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    Yes, probably, I think launching a D&D game without a Wizard would be a bad move.

Even if it launches with the control wizard it is still disappointing to me. I want a fire and lightning and everything frightening wizard!!! MUHAHA!!! Oh sorry got a little carried away there. ;)
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    gilbeggerb wrote: »
    How do you set people to ignore?

I just hope your not ignoring me, but go Here and add the persons forum name, then hit ok
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I wager there will be a way to purchase the Drow separately though, call it a hunch.

The game has to earn revenue, Drow are popular, so if you have to have a Drow, now, now, now, you pay. It seems fair to me and a much better way to fund F2P then selling stats and gear you can't earn by playing.

Just my two cents.

I said this before and I'll say it again...
    Sell the damn race to me if you want. Its not a real "standard" race anyways (neither are half-orcs, exactly for that matter), but I wont pay $200 for it and $200 is not "a little cash". Its a ridiculous sum for some tatts and a different FX for a single racial ability.

...and I couldn't care less about P2W as long as they don't gate the best gear exclusively through the store. Everyone that plays the game should contribute, not just those after cosmetics and fluff.
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Please do tell. Do you know what the CS in NWO is like? Really I'm curious whats in the CS, that you have seen or purchased that would be considered "power". I haven't played yet, so I have no clue what is there. Please give me some examples.

We don't really need to know what NWO's c-store is going to be like specifically. We have CO's and STO's stores several years of watching their business practices to draw uppon. And they both sell power in them. And aside from items exclusively gated behind gambling (grab bags, lockboxes), gating the best gear through the store (they did that once in CO, and through a lockbox to boot) or charging ridiculous sums for gear upgrades in the order of hundreds of dollars to deck out a single character, I approve (yeah, I basically approve of the items, not the way many of them have been sold :p).
    keirkin wrote: »
    Yeah it sucks for some people. At least it will cut down on the number of Drizzt clones for the first 2 months ;)

In my case, though, they're only cutting down on the number of non-Drizzt clones.
    keirkin wrote: »
    Yeah it sucks for some people. At least it will cut down on the number of Drizzt clones for the first 2 months ;)

Not only that, think of how many guilds are signing up drow-only members! Once those people learn that they can't create their characters day 1 (let alone create/join their guildmates), how many are going to simply walk out the door?

Cryptic (or whoever is in charge of content) has to realize that not everyone that plays their game is going to keep up with the forums, or even the current information. I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the people who don't plan on paying for founders packs are STILL looking forward to playing a drow for the first time when the game is released, and will continue to do so. Then they'll see the $200 pricetag, make a decision (uninstall, most likely), and not look back. A first impression is a lasting impression.

Alternatively, this is somewhat good for people wanting to feel better for supporting the game financially. But it might come at a long-term cost to the playerbase....
  • Options
    razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think Truth messed up a bit on the FAQ. Heroes of the North get the Menzo Renegade and that 'race' is exclusive. The vanilla drow will show up sometime after 60 days. I had no impression that buying Guardian gave Drow. But I could be wrong, just not banking on it.
  • Options
    mintyfizmintyfiz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zylaxx wrote: »
    As a Guardian do I get access to Drow at the start? simple yes or no is all I need to know.

as stated in the FAQ the drow will only be available to the "founders pack" purchasers for at least 60 days.

as to weather this is just the Renegade sub race or the main drow race as well is unknown.

as for your question, it is little vague as all the packs (hero, guardian, starter) are headed under the section "founders pack" but only the hero pack has "founders pack" in the title. so if i had to take a guess i would say no, you would probably need to have the heroes pack to play a drow at launch.
  • Options
    nikkalnikkal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I had a bunch of friends who were going to play this game.

"I can't play a drow at start? Screw that! I'll just stick with (insert game here)."

Is what many of them are now saying. I don't care either way, I was going to play a tiefling, but this is a very bad decision for the game.
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Everyone that plays the game should contribute, not just those after cosmetics and fluff.

Disagree 100%. Jack Emmert even implied as much in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QFqtpWO1s&feature=player_detailpage starting at the 11:07 mark he talks about need vs want. The F2P model pretty much runs on the afficinado and collector who spends. No one is required (nor should they) but if you want to then that is where the game makes its money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow this games going down hill fast... I find it extremely amusing, that when the packs first came out, the forum was packed with people going "What the hell, the drow race is exclusive?". Which was remedied by a post stating that Renegade was a different race and drow would be available to all at launch. Which is now, 60 days after launch...

So halfway through the game Classes released are free, is going to become, classes released are free after 60 days, to you need to pay for all the classes...
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    nikkal wrote: »
    I had a bunch of friends who were going to play this game.

"I can't play a drow at start? Screw that! I'll just stick with (insert game here)."

Is what many of them are now saying. I don't care either way, I was going to play a tiefling, but this is a very bad decision for the game.

Horrible decision. 100% horrible. So horrible it is making me reconsider me playing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ashrox10ashrox10 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This has definitely made me look at Neverwinter differently.
    Vuxadin@Kaelangx on Mindflayer.
    PvE Enthusiast.
    mbre6g.jpg
  • Options
    tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    When you clikc on more information fo rthe guardian pack it says becoma a founder by buying the pack. Seeing as the add calls you a founder ,this would in my opinion make the guardian pack a founder pack and eligible for the drow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • Options
    xaralleixarallei Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Wow no drow at launch? That's pretty dodgy. Especially if it's only unlocked for those who put down the ridiculous $199 for the Hero pack. If the Guardian pack unlocks it that might be a tiny bit more reasonable (but not much).
  • Options
    tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe its because I prefer Tieflings to Drow that it isn't affecting me, but I understand the rage everyone feels.

However, I am slightly more confused about the decision to include half-orcs as one of the release races. That is news to me (or should I have been paying more attention to the Orc trailer). The thing that confuses me the most about it is the decision to include them as a release race and not the drow, despite the drow being one of the first races on the races page (also can't help but notice that they haven't updated the race page to include halflings).
  • Options
    vikoonvikoon Member Posts: 165 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Come on people, some of you really need to get off of the entitled list. I could go off on a long speel about many things but that won't change peoples thoughts that they have been somehow misled and deceived about a free to play game.

Listen, this game is going to be alot of fun. Whether you play a halfling or half orc it will be fun. Why is everybody in such a hurry to be a Drow? You already know that it will be the most popular race especially if Guardians get it as well. (Which seems VERY fair to me)

I really think people should concentrate on fueling the free game with positive thoughts and not so much complaining. Wow I just asked for people to be mature on the internet. My mistake...
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    vikoon wrote: »
    Come on people, some of you really need to get off of the entitled list. I could go off on a long speel about many things but that won't change peoples thoughts that they have been somehow misled and deceived about a free to play game.

But come on, it's a disaster! It's the apocalypse! I can't play a Drow for free for 60 whole days!

I'm never, never, never buying Cryptic again, or Wizards, or D&D.

Instead I will vociferously scream about how awful this is, how I'll never ever play this game ever, ever and tell everyone on this very forum, over and over, how I'll never play. That way, they'll hear me and let me play a Drow for free, and I'll win right?

Isn't that how business works?
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    heathenhammer9heathenhammer9 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    So much rage for a game people don't even have to pay for in order to play it.
  • Options
    ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Listen, this game is going to be alot of fun. Whether you play a halfling or half orc it will be fun. Why is everybody in such a hurry to be a Drow? You already know that it will be the most popular race especially if Guardians get it as well. (Which seems VERY fair to me)

I really think people should concentrate on fueling the free game with positive thoughts and not so much complaining. Wow I just asked for people to be mature on the internet. My mistake...

It's more the fact they're throwing in things ALREADY that you NEED to pay for 60 to 200 bucks for one race? I'd rather pay 60 bucks for a box price and forgot paying for classes/races. With this come to light, you can bet every class and race that's "free" will be released early for cash. The game turning into champions online already turned me off, this money grabbing tactics is turning me off even more. Maybe if they already had a good handful of classes or races in it'd be different.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Disagree 100%. Jack Emmert even implied as much in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5QFqtpWO1s&feature=player_detailpage starting at the 11:07 mark he talks about need vs want. The F2P model pretty much runs on the afficinado and collector who spends. No one is required (nor should they) but if you want to then that is where the game makes its money.

Disagree 100%. This is a video game, not food, water or other life necessities. NO ONE has the right to play a game entirely for free nor should they. And they have even less of a right to expect others to financially support the game for them. People from a specific demographic that isn't inclusive of everyone that could play a game should not be exclusively targeted as the ones that get to carry the entire weight of financially supporting the game just so that leeches can get to play for free.

But none of this really matters anyway because the guy does bring up STO ships in that video and STO ships aren't just fluff. They're functional--even if they're not more powerful than the strongest ships in the game they're still stronger than the regular ones and they do have functionality and power so Cryptic does NOT limit itself to just cosmetics or fluff alone regardless of anything they might say. Anyone that says otherwise is either fooling themselves or lying, and that includes any dev that claims that they only sell cosmetics--they don't, the sell power and additional features as well. And that's the way it should be (except for the part where they gate it behind lockboxes and such, but that's a different matter).
    come on people, some of you really need to get off of the entitled list. I could go off on a long speel about many things but that won't change peoples thoughts that they have been somehow misled and deceived about a free to play game.

Listen, this game is going to be alot of fun. Whether you play a halfling or half orc it will be fun. Why is everybody in such a hurry to be a drow? You already know that it will be the most popular race especially if guardians get it as well. (which seems very fair to me)

i really think people should concentrate on fueling the free game with positive thoughts and not so much complaining. Wow i just asked for people to be mature on the internet. My mistake...

has nothing to do with entitlement. The Drow has been an announced release race for quite a while (over a year) and it was one of the selling points for the game. It's no different then if all of a sudden they say, well the Foundry will not be open for 60 days. Imagine the uproar over that!!!!!!!!!!

Get it, this was part of the selling point for the game. Name 1 thing you care about for the game, what if you had to wait 60 days. Its pure and utter lyeing to your playerbase.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    But come on, it's a disaster! It's the apocalypse! I can't play a Drow for free for 60 whole days!

I'm never, never, never buying Cryptic again, or Wizards, or D&D.

Instead I will vociferously scream about how awful this is, how I'll never ever play this game ever, ever and tell everyone on this very forum, over and over, how I'll never play. That way, they'll hear me and let me play a Drow for free, and I'll win right?

Isn't that how business works?

Again...
    Sell the damn race to me if you want. Its not a real "standard" race anyways *snip*

...but you can keep throwing strawmans and blatantly misrepresenting my position. It won't change the facts and only expose you for the fallacious fool that you are.

EDIT: And yes, Cryptic going back on their word about having drow available for "free" at launch DOES hurt the game and their credibility--not because leeches feel entitled to stuff they won't pay for, but because Cryptic said something then went ahead with something completely different entirely. Now they're gating the most popular race in the game (which again, isn't a "standard" race and probably should not have been free to begin with--but the cat's out of the bag now) effectively cutting themselves off from a HUGE audience that will never pay $200 for race and feel scammed by the suggestion of having to pay such a ridiculous price.
    Disagree 100%. This is a video game, not food, water or other life necessities. NO ONE has the right to play a game entirely for free nor should they. And they have even less of a right to expect others to financially support the game for them. People from a specific demographic that isn't inclusive of everyone that could play a game should not be exclusively targeted as the ones that get to carry the entire weight of financially supporting the game just so that leeches can get to play for free.

But none of this really matters anyway because the guy does bring up STO ships in that video and STO ships aren't just fluff. They're functional--even if they're not more powerful than the strongest ships in the game they're still stronger than the regular ones and they do have functionality and power so Cryptic does NOT limit itself to just cosmetics or fluff alone regardless of anything they might say. Anyone that says otherwise is either fooling themselves or lying, and that includes any dev that claims that they only sell cosmetics--they don't, the sell power and additional features as well. And that's the way it should be (except for the part where they gate it behind lockboxes and such, but that's a different matter).

Disagree al lyou want, but I'll take the words of the founder of the company over yours. Agree or not, play or not, it doesnt matter. Jack is 100% right. No one is and no one should be required to pay a F2P video game, or else the F2P loses its meaning and we all would then be better off paying for a subscription. The whole thing with F2P is that 10% of the playerbase pays for other 90%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In my case, though, they're only cutting down on the number of non-Drizzt clones.

Yeah I know, Wizard Drow. But sometimes a few have to be sacrificed for the good of the many ;)

(In case it is not clear I am joking. I am sorry that you won't be able to get your first pick race/class combo but there is a solution ;) )

(Again joking) :)
  • Options
    vamperovampero Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    Well, it is playable at launch. By me. And some others. And while I wouldn't mind non Hero Founders having access to the non Menzoberranzan Renegade drow at launch, I'm not in Cryptic/PW. And Drizzt clone haters will be relieved that the drow population at launch suffers a serious hit due to this delay for the access to regular drow.

Quite sure that your guildies that wanted to have a drow on release won't be happy for good reasons. I'm sorry for the inconvenience because it does suck.

(If I hadn't bought the Hero pack, I'd have entertained myself playing a Dark Elf like in Beta while waiting for the regular Drow to be released)

Great reply!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Disagree al lyou want, but I'll take the words of the founder of the company over yours. Agree or not, play or not, it doesnt matter. Jack is 100% right. No one is and no one should be required to pay a F2P video game, or else the F2P loses its meaning and we all would then be better off paying for a subscription. The whole thing with F2P is that 10% of the playerbase pays for other 90%.

I'll take reality over anyone's word any day of the week. But you'll get your chance to see who's right. I've been around Cryptic games long enough to know they're full of BS and not to trust them on their word (or any MMO company for that matter). And the idea of 10% of the playerbase paying for the other 90% is absurd, and those that do end up paying ARE already better off paying a subscription. Because 10% carrying the entire game financially for the 90% that leech means that they'll have to pay far, FAR, FAAAAR more than they ever did back in the subscription age just for the game company to break even.
    Here I was thinking the Renegade would later come as a buyable in the market for around $10 - $20. It still doesn't effect me all that much, it reminds me a lot of the Symbiote Spider Man skin from Marvel Heroes, though it's sad because the Renegade is one I actually wanted, and there's no way in hell I'm spending the same amount of money for a handheld console just to get a skin.
This discussion has been closed.