test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Drow elf not available for at least 60 days after release, wizard future unsure

Comments

• shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, the whole issue is due to confusion over wrongly calling the Menzoberranzan "a unique playable race" instead of a background choice on the product description page. Now they are stuck with delaying the actual Drow race for the sake of those who purchased the HotN pack.
    We told them. They aknowledged the mistake and admited it was just a background. They didn't make the proper changes. It was mentioned again and again, and it was repeated again and again that it was just a background... but no corrections were made.

So... wtf?
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    To everyone that says when did they say you would play drow at launch,

They said it when they put it up on the about the game page under races.

They are not doing this for legal reasons or any other reason but to see what the market will bear. They are checking to see what they can get away with in charging for everything but the basics. In my opinion.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • thecainthecain Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unfortunately, the whole issue is due to confusion over wrongly calling the Menzoberranzan "a unique playable race" instead of a background choice on the product description page.

Actually, if they were doing it because of it being a Unique Playable Race, no one would be able to roll a Drow ever. The fact of the matter is, Cryptic's being greedy again, and seeing what it can get away with. Don't be surprised if we start seeing delayed classes and races that you can "get early access to". Kind of like early access to the beta by paying $60.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The simple fact is that this is going hurt them at launch more than it helps. Certain guilds will be crippled, and potential customers may walk away and possibly forget about the game after two months.

It's like trying to decide whether to nerf a class, or improve all the others to make up for the equal footing. Cryptic, you're rolling all 1's here, and we're not playing Yahtzee...
  • viaxusviaxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited February 2013
    Just let us unlock the drow race for 10 euros or so at launch...forcing us to wait 60 days is just obscene.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • neya01neya01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 63
    edited February 2013
    I'm really bummed about this too, i had hoped to play a drow too. Not a very smart move on Cryptic's part, as my willingness to buy stuff from the Zen-Store has now dropped quite a bit...I guess i will just start with a half-Elf then and after 60 days i can play as a drow. I would be willing to pay 10 Euros or so to unlock it, but not more.
  • mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    So wants the fifth class at launch then????

GWF
    GF
    Rouge
    Cleric
    ????????????
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People are blaming Cryptic; this is a marketing decision (as the race is code-complete).

That means it's a publisher limitation. Talk to PWE.
    edited February 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    People are blaming Cryptic; this is a marketing decision (as the race is code-complete).

That means it's a publisher limitation. Talk to PWE.

Pretty sure that the devs said it was their decision to do this, just not to come out with it right away.
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    Just let us unlock the drow race for 10 euros or so at launch...forcing us to wait 60 days is just obscene.
    That would only give more ammuntion to the Cryptic haters. No one is going to die because of the (prolongued) delay.:rolleyes:

And those who won't remember this game in two months because it didn't have drow at launch? Meh. People waiting for Paladins or Drangoborn have more reasons to complain about waiting for the stuff they need for their main character. Not that I agree with PW/Cryptic's move but so far, the only people with some real reason to be pissed off are those who were creating drow based guilds for weeks now. And still, it's not the end of the world.
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The simple fact is that this is going hurt them at launch more than it helps.

I am not trying to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but a fact is something that has been proven and what you just said is your opinion. It is belief which is not fact or not necessarily fact. Honestly I am not meaning to be a *******, but the difference is very important and far to often pushed aside by people who want to sway the masses with their opinion calling it fact. I am not saying that you are trying to sway the masses with opinion just to be clear, but that the reason why the distinction is important is because the misuse of the word fact is used by many to use BS to sway the masses in to believing what they are saying is truth when it is not.

EDIT: really? jacka$$ is a filtered word? come on.
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    That would only give more ammuntion to the Cryptic haters. No one is going to die because of the (prolongued) delay.:rolleyes:

No, but it might start a "land war in asia" unless you are a Sicilian ;)

More classic blunders ;)
    edited February 2013
    thecain wrote: »
    Pretty sure that the devs said it was their decision to do this, just not to come out with it right away.

Devs often say things are their decisions that their producers tell them to do. I am not saying whose decision this is just this out.
    edited February 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgLwfzBY_XM#t=0m30s

^ Clearly states that the pack has an exclusive DROW COSTUME. While it may say Race on the page, this means that the Renegade would be a separate race from the Drow. The Drow base Race isn't a Renegade, afterall, and to be considered a race (like the other races), it'd have to have it's own stats, own skills, taunts, dances, etc. So their options, were it to try to be legal, would be to create an entirely separate race for the Renegades, or clarify that they weren't selling the race, and set up refunds for anyone that might try to scream they thought they were the only one's getting Drow.

Furthermore, they wouldn't ever allow you to get the Drow if it was because of bad wording. It's a cash grab to try and sell more $200 packs, even though the entire reason people were buying into Cryptic was because they were offering so much for free, and weren't trying to be underhanded. I've seen people demanding refunds after finding out the Drow would be locked away like that, and me? I'm not buying till they fix what they broke.
  • jdnycjdnyc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 334 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I see the lack of a wizard at launch the biggest problem. By big problem I mean HUGE f'n problem. The halfling thing being another major issue as well. The Drow thing? Who cares. They should be rare anyways in the world. Everyone wants to play them because they're "cool." Lack of a wizard or halfling is far more dire on the priority list in my eyes.
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Where is everyone getting this "no halfling/wizard stuff?" just from one post by someone? Last i heard the wizard was going to be available in the next beta AND for launch, and Halfling was already available in the last beta. Heck, my rogue is a halfling...and supposedly there will be no char wipes before beta ends.

Is there an official announcement that wizard won't be available somewhere (and halflings) or is this all based of one comment/post by someone who works at cryptic?
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The wizard is no longer listed as a class at launch, on the official faq.

I just can't believe Cryptic would launch a DnD game without a wizard class.

I'm with visionstorm on this one.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wulfster42 wrote: »
    Where is everyone getting this "no halfling/wizard stuff?" just from one post by someone? Last i heard the wizard was going to be available in the next beta AND for launch, and Halfling was already available in the last beta. Heck, my rogue is a halfling...and supposedly there will be no char wipes before beta ends.

Is there an official announcement that wizard won't be available somewhere (and halflings) or is this all based of one comment/post by someone who works at cryptic?

The drow availability was confirmed by the new CM. The wizard/halfling omissions have not yet been addressed.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OMG I leave the forums for one day to come back to a mitigated PR disaster! Weeeewhhhh!!!! Good thing I'm not a moderator!! (Haha sorry Truth Zeb Ambi, Aandre make you laugh.)

Ok lets cut out the BS and clean this dung up.

- Drow isnt in at launch for non subs for a short period.

My 2 cents: Cryptic has a right to earn money and this is an effective way to do it. I'd say no longer than 2 months wait tho per race/class. Man this hurts the drow guilds out there tho at game launch. Dammn. Can you throw em a cookie, Cryptic?

- No wizard at launch? Maybe a typo. I wouldnt get too crazed about it. Word from around town: From what I hear, its not a control Wizard until end game - if then, so sounds like they have work to do on the class. Make it right, and almost all will forgive you (and thank you).

Message to Cryptic PR: Wizard has to be in by launch. Just don't officially release the game until its in. NO WAY NO HOW is this D&D without a wizard class. That one just has to be in or reap the pain of bad publicity (from your potential customers throughout the net, not the gamer site press) that may never be fully-recoverable.

I would dial up the PR suits now because this one could easily embarrass the game and its very developers if not explained correctly.

And the sad part of it all, its easily explainable, but it has to come from the suits, not from me, or (in my honest opinion) the forum moderators.

Lets get more classes in game before "launch". Lets focus more on character customization. THESE are what folks tell me they want most for Neverwinter.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    OMG I leave the forums for one day to come back to a mitigated PR disaster! Weeeewhhhh!!!! Good thing I'm not a moderator!! (Haha sorry Truth Zeb Ambi, Aandre make you laugh.)

Ok lets cut out the BS and clean this dung up.

- Drow isnt in at launch for non subs for a short period.

My 2 cents: Cryptic has a right to earn money and this is an effective way to do it. I'd say no longer than 2 months wait tho per race/class. Man this hurts the drow guilds out there tho at game launch. Dammn. Can you throw em a cookie, Cryptic?

- No wizard at launch. Word from around town: From what I hear, its not a control Wizard until end game - if then, so sounds like they have work to do on the class. Make it right, and almost all will forgive you (and thank you).

Message to Cryptic PR: Wizard has to be in by launch. Just don't officially release the game until its in. NO WAY NO HOW is this D&D without a wizard class. That one just has to be in or reap the pain of bad publicity (from your potential customers throughout the net, not the gamer site press) that may never be fully-recoverable.

I would dial up the PR suits now because this one's a barn burner that could easily embarrass the game and its very developers if not explained correctly.

And the sad part of it all, its easily explainable, but it has to come from the suits, not from me, or (in my honest opinion) the forum moderators.

I say they should add Aandre, Gillrmn, and me to PR, so that we can tell them what the community wont take and what the community will "blow up" about
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    I say they should add Aandre, Gillrmn, and me to PR, so that we can tell them what the community wont take and what the community will "blow up" about

LOL. :) yeah that really isn't a tough one ;) People will blow up about anything, screaming, Mount Hotenow is exploding, Mount Hotenow is exploding, run for your lives!! ;)
  • bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't really see a problem with this. If the Devs were to tell me that I would be able to play the Barbarian class 60 days after launch, FOR FREE, I would be as happy as a pig in poo!
  • elminbanelminban Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    keirkin wrote: »
    I am not trying to be a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> but a fact is something that has been proven and what you just said is your opinion. It is belief which is not fact or not necessarily fact. Honestly I am not meaning to be a *******, but the difference is very important and far to often pushed aside by people who want to sway the masses with their opinion calling it fact. I am not saying that you are trying to sway the masses with opinion just to be clear, but that the reason why the distinction is important is because the misuse of the word fact is used by many to use BS to sway the masses in to believing what they are saying is truth when it is not.

EDIT: really? jacka$$ is a filtered word? come on.

What he is saying is that there is a fallacy. What you can say however, is a strong argument, one that will probably happen. Example: 85% of the people a X college are republicans, so probably Fifi is a republican. Releasing the game with Drow on a 60 day or more timer will probably do more harm than good for the game.
    2.jpg
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The most perplexing issue in all of this is Cryptic's failure to control the message.

Earlier, a community moderator came on to say this was decided weeks ago, but nothing was announced because why tell players about something they'll hate? But that is exactly the wrong strategy. Cryptic should know better: on a project like this, players should never find anything out for themselves. Everything should be told to them, because that allows the company to frame the message and shape the conversation.

When players find something out, you just can't tell how they'll react. Will they applaud, scream, cry, or "meh." That is a risk never to take! The company always presents the facts, so they can shape the reaction.

That's Cryptic's mistake here. They let the players shape the response. Their PR guys should have been out in front of this, saying, "We want to make sure our $200 players feel they get what they're paying for, so we're going to hold back on the Drow for a couple of months." Players would argue, but Cryptic would have gotten the first word and be playing offense.
    edited February 2013
    Wizard has to be in by launch. Just don't officially release the game until its in.
    True. It'd be a mistake to release with four classes, none of them being the Wizard.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Didnt they say just the other day, "Neverwinter will launch with the already announced 5 classes" ? It is weird that this would change just a little while after
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Maybe they have stepped back on the Control Wizard because they want some feedback from beta players. It is supposed to be available during the next beta weekend.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am amazed that no one is throwing a single fit about the omission of halflings from that list of playable races.

Racists, the lot of you.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I say I say ... Can you do the The Cryptic Shuffle!? and a ONE and a TWO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUe_Pi8NfT4

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I say I say ... Can you do the The Cryptic Shuffle!? and a ONE and a TWO...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUe_Pi8NfT4

OMG that is awesome! (memories)

Take it Sam!
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
This discussion has been closed.