test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Drow elf not available for at least 60 days after release, wizard future unsure

Comments

• Options
    bedroomjesusbedroomjesus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2013
    Seems pretty clear to me. Heroes of the North get the MenzoGade. Guardians get Vanilla Drow.

What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzen Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character.

What Races are available in Neverwinter?

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that the Drow will only be available for Founder's Pack purchasers for at least 60 days after launch.

Will it cost ZEN to unlock additional Races and Classes?

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Founder's Park purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!

Please highlight where it says Guardian Founder Pack.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    The FAQ links to the Founders pack page in the first qoute. Not a specific package. The one listing all of them. I'm done in any event. It seems perfectly clear to me. If it's not for you. Not my problem.
  • Options
    dragonfishdragonfish Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Jesus tapdancing christ. NO IT DOESN'T! What you are quoting specifically says Hero of the North in TWO DIFFERENT PLACES!!! Who can't read here???? Not one word of that confirms that Guardians get drow. You are ASSUMING that since guardian gets a title, that automatically means it gets Drow too.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I'm done in any event.

Awesome, maybe we can stop having people argue against logical thinking until an actual employee answers the questions.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Another thing to note is that as the FAQ states, the control wizard's future is unsure as it is not yet officially stated that he will be there on launch.

I don't see anywhere in that FAQ where it states they are unsure of the Control Wizard's future, even though you claim it on the thread title and then say that they specifically said that they are unsure. Is this just assumption or am I missing where they say this?

Omission of the class is not an admission of uncertainty and clearly not a admission that the class will not be available come launch.

Speculation is not fact, your thread is misleading.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Fail at reading comprehension forever. Both get the Founders title. So yes it counts.

What are the specifics surrounding the exclusivity of the Menzoberranzan Renegade Drow that comes with the Hero of the North Founder's Pack?

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchases.

The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzen Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character.

Yet nothing in that text mentions the Guardian of Neverwinter Pack, and only the Hero of the North Founder's Pack has the word "Founder's" in the title (you can check the link), as well as access to the exclusive racial background that sprang this whole deal about gating drow access for 60 day. So until someone from Cryptic comes and explicitly and unequivocally states that the Guardian of Neverwinter Pack is included, all we have is your interpretation of the text and the assumption that it is correct, and that of ryger5 (who has even less credibility than you).
    Pretty sure the "exclusive to founders pack" potions means only to founders packs that get access to drow as part of their bonuses. If you got access to a race before everyone else as a guardian, it would be listed as a perk.

And yeah, I think making drow only for those that shell out $200 is a good idea, it's a bonus that alot of people want, but isn't game breaking etc. It's good news that they are thinking of releasing future classes for free. I don't care if they charge for races, as honestly the bonuses to different races are very minor. The way a class plays is a major difference in the game though. I actually would charge for some of the classes to be honest. More then likely I would set it up so that each time you release 2 classes at once, one is free for everyone, and the other you have to pay to play it (Like $10 to play it). That means everyone always gets something, but you can get a bit more if your willing to pay for it.

I might hold off on that mind you, until there are more then just 5 base classes.

So something like this:

First 5 classes are free for everyone.

Release the next 2 classes for free (both of them).

After there are 7 free classes release 1 free and 1 paid class each time (half as often, but that way everyone gets something each release).

For a sample timeline (we know they are working on some classes already:

Game launches with 5 classes. New class is added 2 months after release and another new class 4 months after release.

7 classes are now available for everyone.

4 months later (8 months after release) they release 2 more classes, one of which needs to be purchased. That brings it up to 8 free classes and 1 paid class.

Every 6 months after that, they release 2 more classes with one free and one paid.
  • Options
    bruddajokkabruddajokka Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 447 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    They'd mentioned making all the classes free due to how they effect the game on fundamental level.
  • Options
    liaratsoni84liaratsoni84 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Seems pretty clear to me. Heroes of the North get the MenzoGade. Guardians get Vanilla Drow.

The Menzo-Renegade look, tattoo, racial background, racial ability, and special companion will remain permanently exclusive to Hero of the North Founder's Pack purchases. The vanilla, non-Menzoberranzen Renegade Drow race will be exclusive for at least first 60 days of release. We are currently planning to do a future update that will allow all players will be able to create a regular Drow character.

What Races are available in Neverwinter?

The current options are Human, Elf, Half-Elf, Tiefling, Drow, Dwarf, and Half-Orc. For full descriptions and pictures, check out our Races page here. Please note that the Drow will only be available for Founder's Pack purchasers for at least 60 days after launch.

Will it cost ZEN to unlock additional Races and Classes?

All the available races at launch will be free. We are planning to release the regular Drow for free post-launch (after at least 60 days to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity). Note that only the regular will become available; the Menzoberranzen Renegade will always remain exclusive to Founder's Park purchases.

Details regarding additional classes and races should be announced soon!

The way I'm reading it, it says that Guardians don't get drow until everyone else does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    kormaikormai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 91
    edited February 2013
    I cant see how the 60 day wait time for drow means P2W.
    Your character wont be stronger because its a DROW.
    And after 60 days or so you can make em also, so if you reallyhate it start 60 days after release
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    /me pops another bowl of popcorn...

So, what some of you are saying is that you're willing to spend $60 for 8-week early access at launch to a particular-looking toon and all the rest doesn't matter? Hrmmm...

Based on the blog posts I've seen, and not trying to read INTO it (which is always a mistake and why politicians choose their words carefully, thereby easily tricking the gullible). Read the posts again - the ones from Cryptic staff/moderators. read it word-for-word exactly as written. Consider each word carefully.

Now, here's why I believe the Guardian group WILL get early access to the "vanilla Drow" race: there are three packages in the Founder's pack page: the Hero package, the Guardian package and the Starter package. Now consider this: in the blog post it clearly states the vanilla Drow playable race will remain exclusive for at least 60-days, after which time "everyone else" gets to access it.

Considering the three option of package: Hero, Guardian and Starter. The Hero get the Mezowhatever package, which is a special trait and a special skin and a special tattoo, etc. After this, all that's left is the "vanilla' Drow, meaning the Drow race without the fancy-shmancy paints and colors the Hero package gets.

Now the blog post states that the "vanilla" Drow will "also" be exclusive to "founders" for 60 days. It simply doesn't make any sense to say: Hero Drow toys remain exclusive forever for Founders, AND Drow playable race remains exclusive for Founders. That's completely redundant.

Thus, if you read the blog post and take it at it's most basic, simplest meaning, it states: Hero Drow toys (skin, armor, special trait) will always be exclude forever. Vanilla Playable Drow is only exclusive for for 60-days, but for Founders only. It did not say Hero level founders only. It just said Founders only.

Therefore, if you are Guardian level and the exclusive vanilla Drow race is NOT available to you at launch, you clould scream FALSE ADVERTISING - which Cryptic surely does NOT want.

Now, I've said all that just so I can say this: if your only concern for the $60 spent on the Guardian pack is whether you get to play a particular race, then it's not worth it anyway. Seriously: save your money, stop whining, and play something else until it becomes available. You're already sounding shrill. In the end, you'll save money AND you'll be all experienced and ready to go with your shiny vanilla Drow when it finally becomes available.

In short, it's pretty obvious to any reasonable person the vanilla Drow is available to all Founders, which by description on the web page is all three level; people paying real cash money. So I'd even wager people who only bought the starter pack also will get access to the vanilla Drow. Sure, I'm really reaching here, but because specific levels were not mentioned (Hero, Guardian, Starter Pack) - it is safe to assume/presume ll three levels will have this opportunity.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    About the Wizard: that looks like an oversight. I'll have to ask.

About the Drow, it's going to be free to non-founders....60 days after launch.
    There's no information if there will be a way to buy only the Drow Race and not the entire pack to get it access to Drow at launch but it will be free to all players 60 days after launch.

And just note that there has been no information given on whether "Guardians of the North" will or will not get access to the standard Drow. That's still up in the air.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

There's no information if there will be a way to buy only the Drow Race and not the entire pack to get it access to Drow at launch but it will be free to all players 60 days after launch.

Personally I dont care about drow
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    In short, it's pretty obvious to any reasonable person the vanilla Drow is available to all Founders

Not quite so "obvious" any more is it angrysprite?
  • Options
    edited February 2013

And just note that there has been no information given on whether "Guardians of the North" will or will not get access to the standard Drow. That's still up in the air.

Why not? Why would you even mention this until a decision had been made?
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Eh, it could be as obvious as he stated. I hope it is.

I have been given no information on that though and therefore will not confirm or deny it. I am simply relaying that the Drow will be free to play but will remain an additional exclusive for Hero of the North (and possibly Guardians of the North) Founders for sixty days.

I'm not involved in the decision process :p
    I can only relay what I know and that is they decided it would be best to leave Drow as an exclusive for founders for a period of time.
  • Options
    visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Personally I dont care about drow

Personally I won't be able to make my main without drow (or wizard).
    I'm not involved in the decision process :p

Time out! I did not in any way mean to imply that you were responsible for any of these decisions, just hoped you could answer them more completely than had been previously.

Game on!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I can't.

I've divulged everything I know. Truthseeker and Dezstravus, the ones who wrote the FAQ, are not available at this time either so the limitations of my ability to ask why certain things were worded in certain ways has reached it's limit for the time being.
  • Options
    wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    dragonfish wrote: »
    Time out! I did not in any way mean to imply that you were responsible for any of these decisions, just hoped you could answer them more completely than had been previously.

Game on!

He's saying just what I said basically, there is no information one way or another about if drow will be made available for guardian pack founders. The wording is too ambiguous to make a decision on. Personally, I think the drow is going to be exclusive to heroes for the first 2 months at least, then open for everyone else (including guardians). If the guardians had early access to a playable race, it would be mentioned in the info on the guardian packs.

Now it's possible they may add drow to guardians due to the ambiguous wording (so they don't anger anyone), but I don't think they need to watch every single word they post everywhere. Nowhere in the definitions of what you get for guardian packs was "early access to drow race" mentioned. Therefore, they should not have to worry about it if drow is not offered. It is not false advertising if someone posts somewhere information that might be interpreted wrong. If they don't advertise the Guardian pack as having drow, then they should not get in trouble.

I don't care either way, I just think what was offered for the guardian pack and hero packs were clearly identified (well other then not clearly identifying what exactly astral diamonds are for, but thats another story). If Drow access is given to Guardian members, then I consider that a gift.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Guardian pack is a Founder's pack since it contains a Founder's title. However, it does not unlock early access to Drow. Note that it says the delay for other players is "to allow for Founder's Pack exclusivity". The Guardian founder's pack does not contain any Drow related exclusivity, so it is not going to grant early access to Drow. Only the Hero of the North founder's pack has anything to do with Drow.

This is all due to widespread confusion over the fact that in some of their advertising for the Hero of the North pack they used the phrase "a unique playable race" instead of "racial background" or "origin". So, in order to make that advertisement honest they had to delay Drow for everyone who did not purchase the Hero of the North pack. If they also give it to Guardians, then they would still be invalidating their Hero of the North product description and opening themselves up to player scorn and potential legal action on the grounds of perceived false advertising.

Bah lets call it what it is, an attempt to make sure hero's of the north peeps feel special and don't feel like they been scammed out of 200 bucks. This wasn't how it was suppose to work but because some people can't read they are changing it so some peeps don't get butt sore.

It was pretty clear originally the hero's pack provided the "menzoberranzan renegade" background not exclusivity to the drow race.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    ryger5ryger5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Yes, probably, I think launching a D&D game without a Wizard would be a bad move.
    About the Drow, it's going to be free to non-founders....60 days after launch. There's no information if there will be a way to buy only the Drow Race and not the entire pack to get it access to Drow at launch but it will be free to all players 60 days after launch.

I have to wait 60 days to play a Drow for free! OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I am going to the internet immediately and I will not stop until this horrible apocalypse is addressed! :)

Thank you, I was confused to be sure. It said "Founders" and my email says I'm a "Founder", but even if its just exclusive to the 200 dollar gang, I really think this is still quite fair.

I wager there will be a way to purchase the Drow separately though, call it a hunch.

The game has to earn revenue, Drow are popular, so if you have to have a Drow, now, now, now, you pay. It seems fair to me and a much better way to fund F2P then selling stats and gear you can't earn by playing.

Just my two cents.
    BalarSig103B.jpg
    SHADOW - A secret cabal for those who thirst for wealth and power.
    Check out SHADOW on YouTube!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ryger5 wrote: »
    I have to wait 60 days to play a Drow for free! OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh I am going to the internet immediately and I will not stop until this horrible apocalypse is addressed! :)

Just because it isn't important to you doesn't mean it isn't important to others and does not give you the right to belittle them. Oh, sitting behind an anonymous keyboard gives you such courage doesn't it?
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is all due to widespread confusion over the fact that in some of their advertising for the Hero of the North pack they used the phrase "a unique playable race" instead of "racial background" or "origin". So, in order to make that advertisement honest they had to delay Drow for everyone who did not purchase the Hero of the North pack. If they also give it to Guardians, then they would still be invalidating their Hero of the North product description and opening themselves up to player scorn and potential legal action on the grounds of perceived false advertising.

The player scorn and perceived false advertising will come anyway, since they decided to call stuff "exclusive" that everyone knows will end up on the C-store.

They really should crack open a dictionary and learn what "exclusive" means.
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They'd mentioned making all the classes free due to how they effect the game on fundamental level.

They've also said numerous times that you'd never buy power on the C-store, and everyone knows how that turned out.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They've also said numerous times that you'd never buy power on the C-store, and everyone knows how that turned out.

Please do tell. Do you know what the CS in NWO is like? Really I'm curious whats in the CS, that you have seen or purchased that would be considered "power". I haven't played yet, so I have no clue what is there. Please give me some examples.
  • Options
    bobcat1313bobcat1313 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Please do tell. Do you know what the CS in NWO is like? Really I'm curious whats in the CS, that you have seen or purchased that would be considered "power". I haven't played yet, so I have no clue what is there. Please give me some examples.
    He prolly talking about there other games, atleast that would be my guess. I don't know either way cuz I've never played any of there games.
  • Options
    keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Personally I won't be able to make my main without drow (or wizard).

Yeah it sucks for some people. At least it will cut down on the number of Drizzt clones for the first 2 months ;)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    dragonfish wrote: »
    Not quite so "obvious" any more is it angrysprite?

Surely.
    I am strill vindicated this is the only line in my entire diatribe you have chosen to debunk. :)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I can't.

I've divulged everything I know. Truthseeker and Dezstravus, the ones who wrote the FAQ, are not available at this time either so the limitations of my ability to ask why certain things were worded in certain ways has reached it's limit for the time being.

Hahahah! Which is why I'll wager my rhetoric still holds a lot of water! LOL
    It only makes sense that Guardians will get immediate access to "vanilla" Drow.
    /me holds breath starting... NOW!

LOL!

(And thank you for your efforts, I, for one, know the difficulties in it).
This discussion has been closed.