test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

5 Classes is so limited for a new release..? How long until they add the rest ?

Comments

• pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree only 5 build and 4 classes feel limited to me. Why didn't they offer one less fighter build and add one build from one for the classes that isn't in yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    monk_in_hell_by_daveallsop-d4qh79t.jpg
    jim1771 wrote: »
    You forgot my favorite Monk. Ninja build would be nice.

totally luv ninja monk, I study ninjitsu in real life so im all for a class like that
    I just didn't want to list too many as was trying to not overwhelm developers lol
    COME WITH ME !
  • peoplenesspeopleness Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The storm before the war has begun...

I fear Cryptic are going to get a lot of hate and that this game isn't going to be very popular a few months after release. 5 builds to begin with, no class customisation and very few skills to use. It can't get any more dumbed down then that. I hope that the game will be really good, but I my expectations are very low. =(
  • shitzandgigglezshitzandgigglez Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bonbrute wrote: »
    I myself am hoping that the game will succeed in making a real f2p game that does not have money locked game content.

This is exactly what I've been waiting to find out before even getting excited about or bothering to try this game. I would honestly rather pay a sub than have to deal with unlocking content with a purchase; "Access our +100% XP zone 'Stab 'em up!' for 30 days for $10!"

I also hope the Warlock is included at release.

For those that were able to play during the Beta weekend, was the CS implemented, or do we otherwise have a list of available CS items for purchase?

TIA!
  • jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is exactly what I've been waiting to find out before even getting excited about or bothering to try this game. I would honestly rather pay a sub than have to deal with unlocking content with a purchase; "Access our +100% XP zone 'Stab 'em up!' for 30 days for $10!"

For those that were able to play during the Beta weekend, was the CS implemented, or do we otherwise have a list of available CS items for purchase?

TIA!
    Warlock is not in at launch. The 2 fighters, trickster rogue, devoted cleric, and control wizard are the ones in at launch.
  • nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    peopleness wrote: »
    The storm before the war has begun...

I fear Cryptic are going to get a lot of hate and that this game isn't going to be very popular a few months after release. 5 builds to begin with, no class customisation and very few skills to use. It can't get any more dumbed down then that. I hope that the game will be really good, but I my expectations are very low. =(

The game will do fine, the game will be fairly popular at launch as it's already widely, widely anticipated. The opinions on these forums, mine included are fairly worthless. This is nothing but an annoyingly loud minority.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

TIA!

lich warlock would be epic character

D_D4th__Lich_by_UdonCrew.jpg
    COME WITH ME !
  • ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013
    lich warlock would be epic character

Yes it would... if it were allowed in 4E rules. It's allowed in NONE at character creation, and not without consequences for existing characters. And even in those that allow it, an evil alignment is a prerequisite on a veteran character, because extending your life by means of anything other than a carefully worded wish or divine intervention is considered to be extremely evil. Upsetting the natural order and all that.

Frankly, I'd prefer it if both builds for each class were available at launch. I'd be willing to wait a little longer for it. Why? Because the way Cryptic has implemented the builds as classes, it will be impossible to say, re-skill a Control Wizard into a War Wizard once that build is implemented. If they had started with the core classes it would have alleviated 80% of the complaints against lack of customization, but they didn't have the foresight for this.

And if your argument is "Oh, but in 4E tabletop you have to pick a build on class creation". Yes, that's true... with the assistance of a DM that will help you weigh the pros and cons of each build. You know how that translates to an MMO? A tutorial for each class that lets you taste each build, with a character starting at level 0, and a build choice at the end of the tutorial that brings you to level one of your build choice.
    The game will do fine, the game will be fairly popular at launch as it's already widely, widely anticipated. The opinions on these forums, mine included are fairly worthless. This is nothing but an annoyingly loud minority.

I have no doubt that the game will do fine. Our opinions may be ignored, but never be worthless, because our pockets tend to follow our opinion's leads. Those that go for simple games will play whatever is put in front of them that isn't too complicated. NWO falls in this category, nothing wrong with that. Makes it more approachable, and that generates money. Those that crave D&D will play here for the FR atmosphere and DDO for the D&D feel. Which will generate less money from the D&D faithful, but that's the price you pay when selling out to the "majority".
  • rakannittinrakannittin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    People need to stop thinking of this game as DnD 4e. It is not, it uses the FR and 4e as a guide to build a MMO. In a MMO there are a lot of other priorities other than lots of character choice and optimization options. For one, you need to balance all of those options for PvP. Given how many games have failed to get balance right with PvP (pretty much every MMO I have ever played), I would prefer a balanced game with 5 distinct classes to 15 classes that no-one ever plays as they are not FOTM. This game still has a long way to go in its production cycle, so calm your horses and wait for launch already.
  • ultimusmagusultimusmagus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2013
    People need to stop thinking of this game as DnD 4e. It is not, it uses the FR and 4e as a guide to build a MMO. In a MMO there are a lot of other priorities other than lots of character choice and optimization options. For one, you need to balance all of those options for PvP. Given how many games have failed to get balance right with PvP (pretty much every MMO I have ever played), I would prefer a balanced game with 5 distinct classes to 15 classes that no-one ever plays as they are not FOTM. This game still has a long way to go in its production cycle, so calm your horses and wait for launch already.

Since Cryptic has claimed NWO is based on the 4E rule set, and it carries the burdens of not only the legacy of one of the greatest D&D game series ever, as well as the one of the greatest, if not greatest campaign settings of all, people will continue to think of NWO as D&D 4E, because that's what it's supposed to be. 4E actually translates quite well to online medium, as that was the intention of its creation by WotC's own admission. If Cryptic didn't want these burdens they should've gone with a less popular campaign setting with no PC games to compare to, like Dark Sun or Spelljammer. Not like it would've made a difference though, lol. :p
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Since Cryptic has claimed NWO is based on the 4E rule set...
    I'm pretty sure they've never made that claim. Certainly some things are inspired by it, but a quick look at images of the character sheet UI pages shows that they've definitely taken it in their own direction. I think it ought to be considered on its own merits to be fair.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    No they have "based" it on 4E, but "based" does not mean exact. Like "based" on a true story does not mean everything you see is the exact way it happened. "based" has a lot of space for variation from original
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • grunschkgrunschk Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »

This number is actually comparable to many other MMOS that are popular, when comparing release. In fact, the number of MMOs that do release usually have, at most, this many during their entire life-spans. Games like this are the minority in this regard, releasing with so many classes and the promise of more in the future.

[/I]

Who CARES about other games, by comparison?

This is meant to be D&D - this is the worst playability at launch of any D&D game in 25 years (since Pools of Radiance in 1988). That is nothing to be proud of.

Thankfully character class options abound in BG:EE.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Cryptic's style is to add new content monhtly as far I know.
    edited February 2013

I guess your new to Cryptic. They promised Romulans in the first year for STO and they are putting them in now after the third anniversery of the game.
  • fotzikfotzik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    pugdaddy wrote: »
    Something I've always dreamed about in an MMO is a class that can fight while mounted. Perhaps one day we could see a Mounted Cavalier? That would be cool.

Lord of the Rings Online have mounted combat.
    edited February 2013
    I'd rather see they implement core classes with builds and then add extra builds in the cs. For example at launch they could have a Rogue core class with the Trickster Rogue build as an option for late level instead of just creating a Trickster Rogue.. Not sure if the 4e allows that though, havn't read those rulesets since I havn't played DnD in a long while. The above system would allow you to focus on one character instead of having to make 10 alts, it would elimit the tedious replay of done content and let you focus on playing more player created content and cryptic created content.

They could sell class builds and respec tokens in the cs, let people swap builds and RP whatever they want, develope their character without locking it in.. Not sure if that's allowed either but it would be more fun to focus on one character than having to create alts all the time (and if people want to create alts then they can do that, their choice). And I guess achivements won't be account based either so the above system would elimit having to redo them on every new character just because you want to experience another rogue type build.. (The respec system should not work on different class types, like example you can't respec from a Trickster Rogue to a Guardian.. then you'll have to create a new character).
    edited February 2013
    I guess your new to Cryptic. They promised Romulans in the first year for STO and they are putting them in now after the third anniversery of the game.

They promised a lot with STO before launch, but you have to understand that they where pushed to release STO before it was finished by their owners, this in the end hurt them a lot. The game was basicly unfinished and with the flop they didn't have the money from their owner to further develop it. After PWE bought them stuff has actually started happen in STO, the game is kinda fun now. They still haven't implemented what they first promised before launch, but they are getting there now that they are having better support behind them.

And if you don't look at STO but instead Champions Online you'll see that Cryptic arn't that bad. I hope they have learnt from their mistakes and that NWO will be a hit.
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Until that becomes too difficult. Instead, they'll make the playerbase make their own content, even going so long as a year with zero updates to playable content.
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    They promised a lot with STO before launch, but you have to understand that they where pushed to release STO before it was finished by their owners, this in the end hurt them a lot. The game was basicly unfinished and with the flop they didn't have the money from their owner to further develop it. After PWE bought them stuff has actually started happen in STO, the game is kinda fun now. They still haven't implemented what they first promised before launch, but they are getting there now that they are having better support behind them.

And if you don't look at STO but instead Champions Online you'll see that Cryptic arn't that bad. I hope they have learnt from their mistakes and that NWO will be a hit.

This is, at best, a gross misrepresentation of the facts of how Cryptic got the Star Trek license and, at worst, a bald-faced lie on your part. Before Atari bought Cryptic, when they were self-owned and self-operated, Cryptic approached CBS to get the license, telling CBS that it would take them no longer than two years to make STO because they already had a modular MMO gaming engine in place from Champions Online. CBS only gave them the license on the understanding they would stick by that timeline.

Atari had nothing to do with STO's release date.

This was pointed out by Cryptic developers in the STO cover issue of GameInformer.
  • narcolepticjedinarcolepticjedi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    grimrod614 wrote: »

I roll a tank and spank guardian, cap him then what...I don't play healers, rogues or wizards or an offensive warrior.

How many physically imposing tank classes would you suggest?
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    grimrod614 wrote: »
    Being quite accustomed to the PLETHORA of classes and subclasses that D&D should bring to the table...
    D&D 4E, Player's Handbook 1:
    1. Cleric
    2. Fighter
    3. Paladin
    4. Ranger
    5. Rogue
    6. Warlock
    7. Warlord
    8. Wizard

That's not plethora. Or was someone expecting the new Edition of D&D to be released with all the classes and races of previous editions at the same time and book?:p

The thing with Cryptic's implementation of the classes(builds), is that if they were to release the game with all the classes of the PH1 while keeping their actual method of implementation, they would have to release with 16 classes(builds). Or more realistically, with 8 (for example: 2 Cleric, 2 Fighter, 1 Paladin, 1 Ranger, 1 Rogue, 1 Wizard). Five, with (from what I heard) at least two extra in the works already for some release shortly after launch, is not so bad.

This game will be better than.. what was its name? Daggerdale? Which I heard it didn't have plethora of classes. By the way, is Daggerdale D&D?:p
    edited February 2013
    shiaika wrote: »
    D&D 4E, Player's Handbook 1:
    1. Cleric
    2. Fighter
    3. Paladin
    4. Ranger
    5. Rogue
    6. Warlock
    7. Warlord
    8. Wizard

That's not plethora. Or was someone expecting the new Edition of D&D to be released with all the classes and races of previous editions at the same time and book?:p

The thing with Cryptic's implementation of the classes(builds), is that if they were to release the game with all the classes of the PH1 while keeping their actual method of implementation, they would have to release with 16 classes(builds). Or more realistically, with 8 (for example: 2 Cleric, 2 Fighter, 1 Paladin, 1 Ranger, 1 Rogue, 1 Wizard). Five, with (from what I heard) at least two extra in the works already for some release shortly after launch, is not so bad.

This game will be better than.. what was its name? Daggerdale? Which I heard it didn't have plethora of classes. By the way, is Daggerdale D&D?:p
    http://community.wizards.com/wiki/Dnd:CharOp/Index_of_Class_Guides

Defenders - Battlemind, Fighter, Paladin, Swordmage, and Warden
    Leaders - Ardent, Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Runepriest, Shaman, Warlord
    Strikers - Assassin, Avenger, Barbarian, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock
    Controllers - Druid, Invoker, Psion, Seeker, Wizard
    edited February 2013
    Yes it would... if it were allowed in 4E rules. It's allowed in NONE at character creation, and not without consequences for existing characters. And even in those that allow it, an evil alignment is a prerequisite on a veteran character, because extending your life by means of anything other than a carefully worded wish or divine intervention is considered to be extremely evil. Upsetting the natural order and all that.

umm except they ( the game) are not following a ton of D and D rules in 3 or 4 so why would it matter the small details that u mention anyway lol
    COME WITH ME !
  • ultimombraultimombra Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Next classes to come are very probably the ARCHER RANGER and the SCOURGE WARLOCK !
    I red it from a beta gamer who has written that by post on mmorpg.com i forgot the name!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    The Unseen Knight
    edited February 2013
    This is, at best, a gross misrepresentation of the facts of how Cryptic got the Star Trek license and, at worst, a bald-faced lie on your part. Before Atari bought Cryptic, when they were self-owned and self-operated, Cryptic approached CBS to get the license, telling CBS that it would take them no longer than two years to make STO because they already had a modular MMO gaming engine in place from Champions Online. CBS only gave them the license on the understanding they would stick by that timeline.

Atari had nothing to do with STO's release date.

This was pointed out by Cryptic developers in the STO cover issue of GameInformer.

That was what I had been told from various players within the game. So basicly they promised to much and then they couldn't deliver.. Well lets hope they have learn't from their lession, at least STO is a much better game nowdays and NWO looks like it could be a hit (if you judge the various websites and streams that have been posted on the web).
    edited February 2013
    fotzik wrote: »
    That was what I had been told from various players within the game.

That's because a lot of those players, like a lot of posters here, are willing to blame ABSOLUTELY ANYONE but Cryptic for the things Cryptic has said and done wrong, ignoring any and all evidence to the contrary. They had done that since the original beta test of Star Trek Online. I corrected them back then, too.
    So basicly they promised to much and then they couldn't deliver.. Well lets hope they have learn't from their lession,

They haven't. The ups and downs that STO still goes through is proof of such. Every single Season is the epitome of "overpromised and underdelivered." Especially for Klingons.
    at least STO is a much better game nowdays

This is purely subjective. Many of my Fleetmates and I vastly preferred the game as it was at launch (minus the bugs) when Zinc was running the game's development. There was a clear and concise plan for the game. There was a focus on improving content for max-level players. There were plans in place to improve the quality of life for Klingons in the short- and long-terms. Now, it's just multi-faction levelling content and C-Store power-buying, and has been since well before the F2P transition.
    and NWO looks like it could be a hit (if you judge the various websites and streams that have been posted on the web).

And a lot of those various websites and streams made the same predictions about CO and STO, for a lot of the same reasons, only to flip the tables when the game launched because it launched in the same condition it was in when the game was first beta-tested. That being said, even though I expect more of the same (because it's all Cryptic has shown they know how to do), there's little to suggest this will or won't happen, at least until Open Beta.

If Open Beta is pretty much exactly like the next Closed Beta Weekend (like CO and STO before this), expect the same exact response by all of the media outlets praising the game now, after launch - "I have no idea why we liked this game anymore."
  • krisgkrisg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i dont understand why everyone keeps comparing nwo to sto and co. this game is built from the ground up to be f2p whereas the other 2 were originally p2p. by switching to f2p ya it brings in more of a playerbase but if they arent getting the amount of players they want or need why continue to put so much into it in the first place. think about it. why continue to build a car no1 wants when u can move on and work on something better and just work on the car on weekends. they havent gave up on them games but both games dont seem to have the playerbase that cryptic wants. so the give u update but not as many as people want or what they want. but because they stopped spending so much time on those games it gives them the oppurtunity to make nwo into the masterpiece that they want it to be. and comparing a f2p to a p2p at launch is ludacris. people will complain when they spend money on a product and dont get what they were expecting. wonderful thing about nwo is u dont have to spend a dime. u can try it out and if u like it then spend money. if u dont like it move on. people will always find something to complain about and when someone is constantly complaining to u you stop caring. when u were younger and your parents constantly bit*hed at you u would start to act out. continue to complain and cryptic will never be able to succeed because you are not giving them the chance to. sorry about my grammar and sorry if i offended anyone for i truly didnt mean to. its just sometimes annoying to see so many complaints from people who havent even played the game yet. complain after you play it lol
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    http://community.wizards.com/wiki/Dnd:CharOp/Index_of_Class_Guides

Defenders - Battlemind, Fighter, Paladin, Swordmage, and Warden
    Leaders - Ardent, Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Runepriest, Shaman, Warlord
    Strikers - Assassin, Avenger, Barbarian, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorcerer, Warlock
    Controllers - Druid, Invoker, Psion, Seeker, Wizard
    Biased answer is biased. D&D 4E didn't launch with all those classes. As I already said in my post. But I know that some people expect new MMORPGs to release with the content equivalent of some years after release.:)
    edited February 2013
    krisg wrote: »
    i dont understand why everyone keeps comparing nwo to sto and co. this game is built from the ground up to be f2p whereas the other 2 were originally p2p. by switching to f2p ya it brings in more of a playerbase but if they arent getting the amount of players they want or need why continue to put so much into it in the first place. think about it. why continue to build a car no1 wants when u can move on and work on something better and just work on the car on weekends. they havent gave up on them games but both games dont seem to have the playerbase that cryptic wants. so the give u update but not as many as people want or what they want. but because they stopped spending so much time on those games it gives them the oppurtunity to make nwo into the masterpiece that they want it to be. and comparing a f2p to a p2p at launch is ludacris. people will complain when they spend money on a product and dont get what they were expecting. wonderful thing about nwo is u dont have to spend a dime. u can try it out and if u like it then spend money. if u dont like it move on. people will always find something to complain about and when someone is constantly complaining to u you stop caring. when u were younger and your parents constantly bit*hed at you u would start to act out. continue to complain and cryptic will never be able to succeed because you are not giving them the chance to. sorry about my grammar and sorry if i offended anyone for i truly didnt mean to. its just sometimes annoying to see so many complaints from people who havent even played the game yet. complain after you play it lol

The comparison is apt for two reasons:

- One, NW borrows a hell of a lot from the other games. CO's Archetypes. STO's Foundry. The generic engine developed during CO's development and perfected with STO. General animations borrowed from both games, and so on.

- Two, Cryptic didn't build this game 'from the ground up' to be a free-to-play MMO. It started as a P2P MMO, then went to a CRPG ala Diablo, intended to be sold as a boxed game. Then they didn't know what they wanted. THEN it became an F2P MMO.

Yes, the game won't launch with a sub fee. That doesn't affect the CONTENT in any meaningful way - at least, it shouldn't. All that would normally affect is the cash shop, but Cryptic's had an amoral cash shop well before any F2P transition.

There really is no excuse for no DnD in a DnD game.