test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

5 Classes is so limited for a new release..? How long until they add the rest ?

grimrod614grimrod614 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
Being quite accustomed to the PLETHORA of classes and subclasses that D&D should bring to the table...I was taken completely by surprise when I learned we ill only have a greatsword warrior, guardian, trickster, controller and cleric to play with ? 5 Classes...? How will this make the game competitive enough to survive more than a few months or weeks even?

"regular" players in beta were in their 20-30s in a few days. FTP model insure that clone syndrome will occur in that multiple classes will also LOOK the same..not something people enjoy either. Was this a tactic to save money ? How long will it take to release the other classes and will it be a substantial 5 class increase because as it stands..I am worried.

I roll a tank and spank guardian, cap him then what...I don't play healers, rogues or wizards or an offensive warrior.
Post edited by grimrod614 on

Comments

• johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    This is a side game, so once you reach cap, play your other games. I don't think this will be a game you can play as your main game for very long.

However, since there is player made content, you can always have new stuff to do when you do play.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    It's been stated many times that they plan to continually add new classes and races as the game goes on after release. We just heard about the Great Weapon Fighter not too long ago and just more recently the Devoted Cleric had been confirmed, even though we all "knew" it was in for a while. I am not too worried about the selection of Classes and races at launch.

This number is actually comparable to many other MMOS that are popular, when comparing release. In fact, the number of MMOs that do release usually have, at most, this many during their entire life-spans. Games like this are the minority in this regard, releasing with so many classes and the promise of more in the future.

I suggest to partake in the classes and races threads that are popular, in which players are discussing their wishes for the next races and classes to be added.

*the mage nods and flips a page in his Grimoire*
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They'll add all the classes to the C-store just as quickly as you can buy stuff from the C-store.
  • enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    grimrod614 wrote: »
    Being quite accustomed to the PLETHORA of classes and subclasses that D&D should bring to the table...I was taken completely by surprise when I learned we ill only have a greatsword warrior, guardian, trickster, controller and cleric to play with ? 5 Classes...? How will this make the game competitive enough to survive more than a few months or weeks even?

"regular" players in beta were in their 20-30s in a few days. FTP model insure that clone syndrome will occur in that multiple classes will also LOOK the same..not something people enjoy either. Was this a tactic to save money ? How long will it take to release the other classes and will it be a substantial 5 class increase because as it stands..I am worried.

I roll a tank and spank guardian, cap him then what...I don't play healers, rogues or wizards or an offensive warrior.

There is quite a few threads on this one already. More then one person has linked from the dat files template for Archer-Ranger and -Warlock-Scourge. Also someone mentioned a dev replied to them stating that there is a Dual wielding Ranger otw. Also there is a thread on Page 1 of the general discussion showing 4E classes which shows.. Archer-Ranger, Two Blade-Ranger, Scourge-Warlock.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • clcmercyclcmercy Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 308 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    They'll add all the classes to the C-store just as quickly as you can buy stuff from the C-store.

^^ This.

/10chars

Occam's Razor makes the cutting clean.
  • johnny305johnny305 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They aren't even using classes. Each class seems to just be a build from a class in D&D.

I expect as others said they will add more and more builds to cash shop over time.
  • okottekonekookottekoneko Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i agree its very limited especially for a D&D game, and with the pregen characters, they give us little and no way to build the hero we want to build we need to settle for what they think we want.

the pregen thay have shown is very linear with little customization in the way of skills D&D should give you a good variety of spells or skills to choose from but only allow you to use a small amount of them. its always been that way in D&D game like BG IWD and NWN even the existing D&D mmo DDO has it that way, why cryptic went so far from the traditional D&D structure D&D gamers love is beyond me, the only thing that comes to mind it its either a place holder, they are going to charge to let you have custom classes or they are just lazy and didnt want to put that in, no class progression also means no dual classes unless they add a dual classed pregen.

and what surprises me more is that wizards of the coast let them!
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    So far they are using build choices from 4E Player Handbook one, which players are generally gonna have to choose anyways when they pick a given class. Each build does tend to play as a different class and I'd like them to flesh them out fully then having a few offshoots of each class that don't fully work right. I'll also reserve judgement on number of class customization till I see in-game if players are given a Paragon Path choice or not. I'd like to see if and how they implement the 4E multi-class mechanics into the game. The number of classes might seem low for a D&D based game, but with it being free-to-play and having changed from a co-op to a mmo, I can see how it could be limited at the start and then expand over time with more official content releases.
  • chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I think it's way too soon to worry about what's coming after launch and how soon. As long as the game is fun initially, the other classes can be patched in. I'm an altaholic and I want the most classes as possible but having 5 to start is fine, just wished they would have went with Ranger over Great Weapon Fighter for launch, I mean they offer a Drizzt clone in the HotN pack but no class available to go with it, that sucks.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • cooper6040cooper6040 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    i agree its very limited especially for a D&D game, and with the pregen characters, they give us little and no way to build the hero we want to build we need to settle for what they think we want.

the pregen thay have shown is very linear with little customization in the way of skills D&D should give you a good variety of spells or skills to choose from but only allow you to use a small amount of them. its always been that way in D&D game like BG IWD and NWN even the existing D&D mmo DDO has it that way, why cryptic went so far from the traditional D&D structure D&D gamers love is beyond me, the only thing that comes to mind it its either a place holder, they are going to charge to let you have custom classes or they are just lazy and didnt want to put that in, no class progression also means no dual classes unless they add a dual classed pregen.

and what surprises me more is that wizards of the coast let them!

Have you ever played 4th Edition? It was nothing like previous editions and a terrible tabletop game. The ruleset for 4th edition were always meant for a video game, and now we have it. I agree with Morbic. If we are given Paragon path choices and "Epic Destinies" that will add some class "choice" and customization to the game.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Agreed.. 5 is not enough for launch, they should add at a minimum 3 more classes and 2 more races at launch

RANGER, WARLOCK/WARMAGE, DRUID and Barbarian come to mind for classes

other cool and unique races to add could include Dragonborn, Half ORC, Rakshasa , Vampire\Lich , Minotaur

these would really add some spice and fun and diversity to the game and allow a mix \ match and customization
    COME WITH ME !
  • nethershadowsnethershadows Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    They'll add them soon and unlike many of the ungrateful kids on this forum as of late, I highly doubt they'll be in the cash shop. That is not Cryptic's style and I've never seen PWE do it. They'll get released when they get released.
  • deathreaper4udeathreaper4u Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    either way,, they will be free eventually,, DDO pioneered the F2P MMO years ago , was first to do it on large scale and they had
    DRUID and warforged and drow as pay in store at first but eventually released them

the way to monetize games is with ADS,, u could have small billboards on buildings or walls that animate in town w tiny ads or have insert graphics while waiting to transport into instances and charge companies for them like google , facebook, internet does
    making the rest of the content all free for players and if players wanted add free they could say agree to donate $5
    COME WITH ME !
  • bonbrutebonbrute Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

It has been stated that money will not bar any part of the game. So C-Store won't be containing any classes or other "gamebreaking" related I hope.
  • grimrod614grimrod614 Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bonbrute wrote: »
    It has been stated that money will not bar any part of the game. So C-Store won't be containing any classes or other "gamebreaking" related I hope.

Uh thats a very subjective quote. You could very well "play" the game with the meager selection of 5 classes and they would still fulfill that statement even with races..and yes classes in the "shop". Everquest has races and classes locked as well and they are ftp.
  • true2true2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    WTB shielding and assault swordmage(s).
  • ryo2810ryo2810 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Uh thats a very subjective quote. You could very well "play" the game with the meager selection of 5 classes and they would still fulfill that statement even with races..and yes classes in the "shop". Everquest has races and classes locked as well and they are ftp.

This is actually something that I thought about originally, playing around the words is always a scary tactic a lot of companies use sadly. Its why I don't really get my hopes up nowadays.
  • bonbrutebonbrute Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ryo2810 wrote: »
    This is actually something that I thought about originally, playing around the words is always a scary tactic a lot of companies use sadly. Its why I don't really get my hopes up nowadays.

You could be right, even though they have been building a hype about how this is really going to be f2p completely.

Just have to wait until developers confirm these things clearly or until the game launches.

I myself am hoping that the game will succeed in making a real f2p game that does not have money locked game content. If they can fund the game with cosmetic C-store it would really make this game awesome. But then again there is the profit to think about.
    edited February 2013
    WTB
    Minotaur or Half ORC Barbarian ,
    Rakshasa Ranger,
    Druid,
    dragonborn,
    Warmage,
    Lizardfolk
    Werewolf

3346782432_d9cc9f6219.jpg

360px-Rakshasa_-_Pete_Venters.jpg

risar-the-half-orc-from-mortal-online.jpg?w=450&h=360

DnD4e__Werewolves_by_UdonCrew.jpg
    COME WITH ME !
    edited February 2013
    cuaqchi_lizardman_druid_final.jpg

alara_08-25-2010.jpg

250px-Dragonborn.png
    80449.jpg
    COME WITH ME !
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Something I've always dreamed about in an MMO is a class that can fight while mounted. Perhaps one day we could see a Mounted Cavalier? That would be cool.
  • pugdaddypugdaddy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 249 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    PS
    Grippli Rogue

Albino_Grippli_by_eenlikebean.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Grippli Druid

grippli_cleric_by_ryan_rhodes-d58yy86.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Grippli Rangers

grippli.jpg
    edited February 2013
    Grippli Barbarian

grip2.png
    edited February 2013
    Grippli Great Weapon Fighter in kilt!

Battle-frog.jpg
  • jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Agreed.. 5 is not enough for launch, they should add at a minimum 3 more classes and 2 more races at launch

RANGER, WARLOCK/WARMAGE, DRUID and Barbarian come to mind for classes

other cool and unique races to add could include Dragonborn, Half ORC, Rakshasa , Vampire\Lich , Minotaur

these would really add some spice and fun and diversity to the game and allow a mix \ match and customization
    You forgot my favorite Monk. Ninja build would be nice.
    edited February 2013
    Cyborg Grippli

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS-AjL-MLoXCtql6JSsyb-aEYZ8wuInJy6lBNFgtiKNjf3SyK6fLg
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    bonbrute wrote: »
    You could be right, even though they have been building a hype about how this is really going to be f2p completely.

Just have to wait until developers confirm these things clearly or until the game launches.

I myself am hoping that the game will succeed in making a real f2p game that does not have money locked game content. If they can fund the game with cosmetic C-store it would really make this game awesome. But then again there is the profit to think about.

I've been around for Champions Online and their supposedly "cosmetic-only" cash shop as well as Star Trek Online's supposedly "cosmetic-only" cash shop. Neither is anything remotely "cosmetic-only."

They'll have classes and races in the C-store either right away at launch, or very close to it. The Founder's Packs prove they'll have full races already, and every one of those items, save the forum title, will be on the C-store eventually.

Hate to burst your bubble, but Cryptic's track record - and the fact that the very same people who said the C-store for this game would be cosmetic-only said it for two other games and it turned out to be nothing but lies - is what's hurting them in this regard.
  • wulfster42wulfster42 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 183 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Well, we know that character slots will be for sale......since you get extra ones from the founders packs...so that means they are normally limited. I don't see them not being sold in the store if they are part of the founders packs. Same with races, since drow is available already.

I "hope" that classes are not restricted and sold only in the store, but I doubt that is going to be the case. I only hope they allow us to buy content with the astral diamonds we got from the founders packs (or at least ensure a somewhat decent ratio of astral diamonds to zen which is used to purchase new content).

I have faith in this game being worth what I have spent on it, but I will be dissapointed if I find out I should have spent the money buying zen once the game was released instead of buying the founders pack and just getting astral diamonds.