test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ok so Classes that are not in at laucnh are actively being built as we speak.

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In case you guys need any more convincing, Zeke speaks the truth. I've played an early build of one of the classes slated for post launch and it felt really cool at that early stage (still far from being done though). We have a brilliant team of designers making these, so expect some amazingly fun classes to be added.

Thanks cmp! You always come and tease us with new info!

But I really feel jealous of you who is able to play them so early. So just in case my subconscious does something, watch out for werewolves when you are under moon.
  • Options
    shadoweatingyoushadoweatingyou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I feel i have to ask what about the warlock class from D&D could we expect them possibly coming out? or any dark magic focused mage? (or fighter EG blackguard like what was previously said on this thread)
  • Options
    silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    We all know they're making more classes. The question is, how much are they going to charge?

New classes in NW will be analogous to new AT's in Champions for about $12, or ships in STO which run from $10 to $25.

They sure won't be free - CO hasn't seen free AT's to my knowledge, and while STO has had a couple of free ships to throw people a bone, there are more ships available in the C-store than can be gotten in-game for free (and better ones, too).

Also, I'm pretty sure I called not only this, but that the Ranger was nowhere to be found. I was called a troll for such, iirc.

I believe that the Unleashed AT was added for free in CO.
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I am not sure they will need to sell classes or races, this is because you only seem to get 2 slots, so any more than that for alts and I am betting you will pay for more slots, probably bank space and stuff too. And as they are going to keep bringing out new class and possible races I am sure poeple will fork out for more character slots. Not that I am saying whether this is good or bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm kind of baffled that last year they were supposedly ready to launch Neverwinter with five 'full' classes (including rangers) but that today this isn't possible.

Not to mention I have a somewhat dim view of the classes as presented. "Guardian Fighter" and "Great Weapon Fighter" being considered distinct classes? C'mon. What those do is shoehorning players into taking a fighter and not allowing either to shift roles. Same for the control wizard, which should've been a basic wizard that allowed some options to be picked. Or the "Trickster Rogue" which is somehow turned into a dual-dagger wielder - what if I wanted to wield a crossbow, a shortsword or a rapier?

So it's more like there are presently four classes, most are incomplete, and the one that is ends up forcing you to play one way or another.

Cryptic, you usually pride yourselves on customization and broad choices. Not to mention you had an extra year beyond the point where you already had 5 classes done. What in heck happened there?
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    they changed it from a co-op game to mmo.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    umaeko wrote: »
    I'm kind of baffled that last year they were supposedly ready to launch Neverwinter with five 'full' classes (including rangers) but that today this isn't possible.

Not to mention I have a somewhat dim view of the classes as presented. "Guardian Fighter" and "Great Weapon Fighter" being considered distinct classes? C'mon. What those do is shoehorning players into taking a fighter and not allowing either to shift roles. Same for the control wizard, which should've been a basic wizard that allowed some options to be picked. Or the "Trickster Rogue" which is somehow turned into a dual-dagger wielder - what if I wanted to wield a crossbow, a shortsword or a rapier?

So it's more like there are presently four classes, most are incomplete, and the one that is ends up forcing you to play one way or another.

Cryptic, you usually pride yourselves on customization and broad choices. Not to mention you had an extra year beyond the point where you already had 5 classes done. What in heck happened there?

And once again people speaking about what they don't pay attention to since 2011...

The game was set to release a watered down co op version of this game by Atari when they were forced by settlement to sell the company to another. PWE fully supported Cryptic's vision on making this a full featured MMO game and Cryptic began the year plus conversion to an MMO having to basically redo EVERYTHING including the classes. Ranger while might have worked for a basic shoot em up occasional pairing with others, did not in this setting and is delayed while they do it RIGHT.

Why don't users ever understand this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And once again people speaking about what they don't pay attention to since 2011...

The game was set to release a watered down co op version of this game by Atari when they were forced by settlement to sell the company to another. PWE fully supported Cryptic's vision on making this a full featured MMO game and Cryptic began the year plus conversion to an MMO having to basically redo EVERYTHING including the classes. Ranger while might have worked for a basic shoot em up occasional pairing with others, did not in this setting and is delayed while they do it RIGHT.

Why don't users ever understand this?

None of what you said actually addressed his main question - why do we have TWO fighter classes that can't switch roles, but NO ranged weapon class whatsoever?

And, no, they didn't have to redo "everything." Far from it, actually - they're still using the Cryptic Engine, seen in Champions and STO. They're still using STO's Foundry, forcing players to make content because they won't. The same story and missions. Heck, the COMBAT's going to be pretty much the same, too. All they did was change the grouping and refine the classes.

As for "it's delayed while they do it right," I'd LOVE a link on that, since until I see one, there's absolutely nothing to suggest it won't be a paid class two months post-launch.
  • Options
    tehvaldrtehvaldr Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I agree Guardian and great weapon fighter should just be the fighter class.

At later levels (eg. 10) you choose which one you specialize in, similar to what they did in swtor
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The class builds are completely different setups and are treated as different classes altogether even if called fighter class. Items and powers are not the same and do not transfer. It's like saying the ranger and paladin are both warriors so should just specialize. It's not like 4E where they template power suggestions. This is completely different.

All the things mentioned besides the engine were redone as well. I should know as I've seen the changes INCLUDING a more advanced foundry, If you read the forums here.) A Foundry that is also overhauled which I can't detail due to NDA.

Then again if people would like to show their development understanding, experience and/or sympathy, and be polite about it, MAYBE Mapolis or one of the others will reply.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    hundredhandslaphundredhandslap Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 43
    edited February 2013
    tehvaldr wrote: »
    I agree Guardian and great weapon fighter should just be the fighter class.

At later levels (eg. 10) you choose which one you specialize in, similar to what they did in swtor

But that just limits customization and specialization even more. Instead of having separate tank and two-handed DPS classes each with their own unique skills and traits, you now have ONE class that has to split its skills and traits between two different roles. I don't see how that offers more choice.
  • Options
    grimmaldigrimmaldi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    PLaying the beta right now and of immediate concern is lack of class customization. Even Diablo had more customization in choosing what powers you took when you leveled up and so on, and that was a horrible game. I'm hoping this is only because of beta and for launch class customization is a big part of the game. Otherwise you're just playing the same cookie cutter everyone else is.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    GF is a Defender, GWF id a Striker. Apple, meet Orange.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    umaekoumaeko Member Posts: 845 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Then again if people would like to show their development understanding, experience and/or sympathy, and be polite about it, MAYBE Mapolis or one of the others will reply.

I do not believe I was being offensive. Critical, yes. Impolite, no. What I did was admit that given the information I had access to that I really didn't get how things shaped out the way they did. Neither do I have the advantage of being an alpha tester. All I have is an extremely good memory of the things I did get access to in news outlets.

So, I appreciate trying to fill me in. But I could have gone without the needless labelling.
  • Options
    trikirantrikiran Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    In case you guys need any more convincing, Zeke speaks the truth. I've played an early build of one of the classes slated for post launch and it felt really cool at that early stage (still far from being done though). We have a brilliant team of designers making these, so expect some amazingly fun classes to be added.

I am honestly extremely disappointed that a D&D mmo would be released featuring the Neverwinter kights History and not have at least half of the classes that were in those games.

I mean for bloody sakes there should be at least 15. It was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor planing and building to just ignore the history of the game and series as well to the entire D&D world to only offer FIVE. It's disgusting. So now those of us with Zero interest in these not even base classes need to wait months or years to even get a crack at something we actually want to play.

How was this decided on????? Bless and other mmos coming out in 2013/2014 are featuring up to 15 classes on launch why the hell did someone think 5 basic classes with no advanced class function was a good idea in the series that gave us more then then basic 3? You haven't even doubled the classic healer tank dps roles. You have given us some pretty terrible <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in the classes department. I don't know how I can support the game with money if this is the garbage we are expected to keep getting.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The class builds are completely different setups and are treated as different classes altogether even if called fighter class. Items and powers are not the same and do not transfer. It's like saying the ranger and paladin are both warriors so should just specialize. It's not like 4E where they template power suggestions. This is completely different.

All the things mentioned besides the engine were redone as well. I should know as I've seen the changes INCLUDING a more advanced foundry, If you read the forums here.) A Foundry that is also overhauled which I can't detail due to NDA.

I don't show understanding at all. Sorry. Bless and other mmos coming out this year and next are launching with 12-15 classes with specing trees as versatile as any. How can these games be made with a smaller budget, less time and yet come out with more classes and more roles then Neverwinter that SHOULD be using the already build games heavy and advanced class system. So you are telling us that this is not a D&D game and that classes need to be rebuilt from the ground up? This is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Fans of D&D want a bloody D&D game. That is what many people have issues with. If that sounds rude so be it. It is also True.
  • Options
    vandraegonvandraegon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I wonder if there is going to be a Paladin class....
  • Options
    deads6667deads6667 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    trikiran wrote: »
    I don't show understanding at all. Sorry. Bless and other mmos coming out this year and next are launching with 12-15 classes with specing trees as versatile as any. How can these games be made with a smaller budget, less time and yet come out with more classes and more roles then Neverwinter that SHOULD be using the already build games heavy and advanced class system. So you are telling us that this is not a D&D game and that classes need to be rebuilt from the ground up? This is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Fans of D&D want a bloody D&D game. That is what many people have issues with. If that sounds rude so be it. It is also True.

dont feed the troll. he got you good CM =)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    I am honestly extremely disappointed that a D&D mmo would be released featuring the Neverwinter kights History and not have at least half of the classes that were in those games.

I mean for bloody sakes there should be at least 15. It was <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> poor planing and building to just ignore the history of the game and series as well to the entire D&D world to only offer FIVE. It's disgusting. So now those of us with Zero interest in these not even base classes need to wait months or years to even get a crack at something we actually want to play.

How was this decided on????? Bless and other mmos coming out in 2013/2014 are featuring up to 15 classes on launch why the hell did someone think 5 basic classes with no advanced class function was a good idea in the series that gave us more then then basic 3? You haven't even doubled the classic healer tank dps roles. You have given us some pretty terrible <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in the classes department. I don't know how I can support the game with money if this is the garbage we are expected to keep getting.

There's two choices:

Have fans wait 4 years for a full development cycle and 15 classes

Or launch when the core game and classes are ready and add to it over time

The second approach is going to be the standard launch procedure for future online games. It works well for both the developer and the players. It both gives the developer time to gather feedback to use on further development and a product to customers to enjoy and give feedback on.

More importantly, it lets the developer adapt to changing trends and technology. Look at TOR- took forever to develop, had way too long of a hype train, and was incredibly outdated when it eventually released.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    There's two choices:

Have fans wait 4 years for a full development cycle and 15 classes

Or launch when the core game and classes are ready and add to it over time

The second approach is going to be the standard launch procedure for future online games. It works well for both the developer and the players. It both gives the developer time to gather feedback to use on further development and a product to customers to enjoy and give feedback on.

More importantly, it lets the developer adapt to changing trends and technology. Look at TOR- took forever to develop, had way too long of a hype train, and was incredibly outdated when it eventually released.

But we have games coming out that have been in a shorter development cycle with more content. Specially classes. So I doubt that can be used as a full excuse.
  • Options
    bringthenoise001bringthenoise001 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just give me my Barbarian and I'm ready to rock!
  • Options
    shadoweatingyoushadoweatingyou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    GF is a Defender, GWF id a Striker. Apple, meet Orange.

What about Apple meet Windows?...... 8]
  • Options
    losian2losian2 Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm hurt you didn't believe me. :(

Glad There's something something recent to link to Haha but this hasn't been a secret.

To be fair there's a lot of stuff that feels up in the air to long-time followers of this game. Cryptic changing hands, very little information up front.. I mean, heck, we've got 1st edition D&Ds class lineup - Punchy person, healy person, casty person, stabby person. It's exciting for those of us who like what 4th has to offer (Artificer, Warlord, Warlock, etc. etc. etc.) to get some actual confirmation that this game won't just fall by the wayside with a tiny bit of what 4th ed has to offer! I think it's also fair to say that at least some of us are a bit worried about how the game is going to come together.. Will the 'official' developed content last, or will it be a week or two of play and then everything else will be sub-par player created content, focused on min-maxing XP gain or some such, with only a handful coming out weeks later, once dedicated people really start working, that is genuinely fun or well-done. It makes some folks preeetttty worried about the quality and breadth of game that might be coming down the line - worse yet when NWN and NWN2 were some of the most fun games we may have played growing up and all.. I'm not saying I feel the team is way in over their heads, but there's a looooooot of material in 4th ed that many of us would love to see, and so far the tiniest scratch of the surface seems to be on display, with a worrisome focus on "let the players build stuff instead."

Not to mention there's quite a camp of us that would love to see more of the base-rulebook's playable races.. rather than just humans, pointy-eared humans, half-pointed-eared humans, and horned humans. 4th edition has so much neat stuff, we want to see it worked with!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    losian2 wrote: »
    To be fair there's a lot of stuff that feels up in the air to long-time followers of this game. Cryptic changing hands, very little information up front.. I mean, heck, we've got 1st edition D&Ds class lineup - Punchy person, healy person, casty person, stabby person. It's exciting for those of us who like what 4th has to offer (Artificer, Warlord, Warlock, etc. etc. etc.) to get some actual confirmation that this game won't just fall by the wayside with a tiny bit of what 4th ed has to offer! I think it's also fair to say that at least some of us are a bit worried about how the game is going to come together.. Will the 'official' developed content last, or will it be a week or two of play and then everything else will be sub-par player created content, focused on min-maxing XP gain or some such, with only a handful coming out weeks later, once dedicated people really start working, that is genuinely fun or well-done. It makes some folks preeetttty worried about the quality and breadth of game that might be coming down the line - worse yet when NWN and NWN2 were some of the most fun games we may have played growing up and all.. I'm not saying I feel the team is way in over their heads, but there's a looooooot of material in 4th ed that many of us would love to see, and so far the tiniest scratch of the surface seems to be on display, with a worrisome focus on "let the players build stuff instead."

Not to mention there's quite a camp of us that would love to see more of the base-rulebook's playable races.. rather than just humans, pointy-eared humans, half-pointed-eared humans, and horned humans. 4th edition has so much neat stuff, we want to see it worked with!

This is a point that is told again and again and again and it's frustrating that the devs are ignoring us about them. Not only that but their focus seems to be only half-hearted in giving us a full 4th E game. Which honestly sucks. I have been looking and waiting and wanting to pay lots and lots of money for a 3d version of table top play for ever. I still get together with friends to play these games and it is what we hoped and waited for since NWN. This HAS the potential to do just that but every day it gets more disappointing.

I've heard that old song and dance before "Oh we are gonna release TONS of new classes/races Post Launch!" Yeah right. I've yet to see this happen. We got promised more classes for STO a thousand times and I've never seen anything come out. So hard to believe the liar the seconds and third time around. >.>
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    But we have games coming out that have been in a shorter development cycle with more content. Specially classes. So I doubt that can be used as a full excuse.

Which MMOs are these?

I don't know of any western MMO with a confirmed launch this year.
  • Options
    oziumozium Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20
    edited February 2013
    from http://www.f2p.com/exclusive-qa-with-the-developers-of-neverwinter/

Q. On the subject of races, just how many do you plan on launching with? There are quite a few in D&D and Forgotten Realms. Will we perhaps see beings like the Dragonborn, or Genasi?
    A. Eight races at launch. We want to keep adding them post launch of course.

what are the two unknowns i wonder...
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Besides, the good news is that by splitting traditional D&D classes into separeate builds, then those builds can be designed to have really unique mechanics since the class doesn't have to satisfy so many archetypes. I think this is a place where what works for the PnP game needs to be approached differently for an MMO.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Which MMOs are these?

I don't know of any western MMO with a confirmed launch this year.

Funny where did I say "western"? I don't see it anywhere.

As for this year I believe Bless will be the big heavy hitter as far as direct competition. But the point is this is a D&D IP. And correct me if I am wrong but isent this game shipping with "FEWER" character classes and races then D&D 1.0 Edition? That seems like a Massive step backwards.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And correct me if I am wrong but isent this game shipping with "FEWER" character classes and races then D&D 1.0 Edition? That seems like a Massive step backwards.

I might normally concede that point, but the particular video in question in this thread has, what I feel, is a fairly reasonable explanation for this.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    aavarius wrote: »
    Besides, the good news is that by splitting traditional D&D classes into separeate builds, then those builds can be designed to have really unique mechanics since the class doesn't have to satisfy so many archetypes. I think this is a place where what works for the PnP game needs to be approached differently for an MMO.

Ok... so that is 2 "talent trees" basically for 1 class. Where as before in 3.5 you could take a "Class" in several direction. That is what we are saying. It is scarey to see this.... Limitations by the truck load coming into a game that was build and made with hundreds and hundreds of options to go into. From crazy mixed race creatures to class combos that you could write books on. That IS what FR and D&D was built on. Now we are making it cheap and pointless. Very few races. Fewer yet classes. :(
    aavarius wrote: »
    I might normally concede that point, but the particular video in question in this thread has, what I feel, is a fairly reasonable explanation for this.

I will watch that video then. But It still seems weak. I mean STO have a "unknown" Race creator at the very least they could have given us a version of that. But as it stands my "favored" class and race combo the one I spent most of my time playing for 15 years the one that I've written lore and stories about is not even close to being in game yet. And might never be. Or I will need to pay 200$ for? I mean they have already done that with the drow.... and btw I am pretty sure 200$ unlocked drow is one of the 8 races promised. So there goes that All content F2P model. I don't mind that I really don't. They need to make money I respect and encourage that. I would pay 100$ easy if I could have my race my class with the effects and style I want to play. I might even think about spending 200$ for that. But 200$ per extra race just seems in very poor taste.

So how are you going to deal with players that won't be active with their guilds because they are waiting for their prefered class to come out that might take weeks or months or years to come out? Do you understand how that makes the D&D fans feel? By limiting their class selection.

And when the classes do...(If... Because we were promised more classes in STO and that NEVER happened).... come out I am re-rolling and cant do things with my guild and friends because I am trying to rebuild my main character. How will that be handled?