test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

No evil gods

13»

Comments

• calanecalane Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Whats funny they try to rip us off and theres isnt even deity for Drow.

You know drow deities might be selectable only by drows and since they are not enabled yet they might not appear as an option.

Does that makes sense to you?
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Hmm, Kelemvor is Lord of Dead. If I remember correcntly. But yeah it seems everything cool is taken away.

Whats funny they try to rip us off and theres isnt even deity for Drow.

Corellon is a drow deity.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    Kelemvor is not an evil deity, he actually despises the Undead with a Divine Passion and sees them as a perversion of the natural order of life and death. Kelemvor is a Neutral Deity and former mortal lover of the mortal Midnight that become the latest incarnation of Mystra.

Corellon is the God of All Elves, as Gill is pointing out, and because of Eilistrasee's sacrifice, he has lifted his curse upon the Drow and they are now able to worship him and receive his blessings once again.

However.... as I keep trying to convey to Cryptic and WotC:

Please Cryptic/WotC, continue adding all the Greater Gods, Gods, Primordials Exarchs, and Archdevils of the Realms! This list should include every power listed in the Forgotten Realms 4e material. As well, it is well known through out history that the peoples of the Abeir-Toril continue following recently deceased gods too, so many of the recently dead gods that were not absorbed into another god's portfolio should also be included.

Most importantly (okay, I may be a teency bit biased in my "most importantly" statement), add Mystra to that list. I am sure you have better sources than I do so you should also very well know she is not "dead." wink.png

Oh yes, we also need a "none" option for those who do not wish to follow any specific Deity.
  • magicelzomagicelzo Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Being able to select evil gods would be great, but it is a thing that should be implemented properly.

SWTOR showed me one thing. It's really hard to offer a good and evil path in an MMO for the same class.
    Playing an evil Jedi didn't make you play evil missions. All it did was making you look like an idiot while you played good missions.

So I'm happy with the "no evil gods" thing as I don't think Cryptic has enough time to implement it properly at start.
  • shadeslingershadeslinger Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If there will no evil alignment option in this game that could very well be a deal breaker for me. The world is not all puppies and roses!
  • tehvaldrtehvaldr Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am a christian and know that asmodeus does not appear in the bible. So unless you have a funky version of the bible you are wrong on this account.

He is a king of demons from the deuteronomical book of Tobit (old testament). This book is canon only for Catholics and Orthodox though.

If you need a more "pop" reference, in The exorcism of emily rose, he is one of the many demons possesing the girl.

The Nine Hells of the Forgotten realms are also home to the archdevils Baalzebul (another name for the devil) and Belial (a demon from the hebrew bible whose name occurs in some parts of the new testament)

Sooooo long story short: I fear Cryptic just wants to avoid the wrath of american bigots

Also, it is not the first time that wackos blame D&D for satanism, the terms Baatezu and Tanar'ri were introduced to avoid using the words devils and demons
  • drowessdrowess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    calane wrote: »
    You know drow deities might be selectable only by drows and since they are not enabled yet they might not appear as an option.

Does that makes sense to you?

I hope your right. I will be very upset if they aren't. But I'm starting to think that won't be the case. After reading the description on the race page for drow, they made it sound like the drow in this game are 'good'. Also after creating a few different races, I noticed they all start in the same zone. That makes this game very linear... I might be able to forgive them if the foundry is good enough that I can make evil underdark campaigns. I was already thinking of making campaigns for Eilistraee. I was sad enough to know I couldn't be a priestess of Eilistraee since she is 'dead' in the eyes of WOTC. But not being able to follow Lolth as a drow is outrageous. And after all the work WOTC did at trying to make the drow as evil and static as they are now... This just was not expected...

I would have much preferred to see this game in development for longer to include multiple paths based on your character's alignment.
  • underdarkhunterunderdarkhunter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    drowess wrote: »
    I hope your right. I will be very upset if they aren't. But I'm starting to think that won't be the case. After reading the description on the race page for drow, they made it sound like the drow in this game are 'good'. Also after creating a few different races, I noticed they all start in the same zone. That makes this game very linear... I might be able to forgive them if the foundry is good enough that I can make evil underdark campaigns. I was already thinking of making campaigns for Eilistraee. I was sad enough to know I couldn't be a priestess of Eilistraee since she is 'dead' in the eyes of WOTC. But not being able to follow Lolth as a drow is outrageous. And after all the work WOTC did at trying to make the drow as evil and static as they are now... This just was not expected...

I would have much preferred to see this game in development for longer to include multiple paths based on your character's alignment.

Evil alignment stories will likely be foundry based, Cryptic seems to think everyone wants to be a hero in their games. They could do a city of Luskan expansion kind of like city of villains was done for city of heroes, would be funny. I all want really is to chose a evil background on character creation and maybe a dark power effects for clerics that we can buy in game store.

The thought of a bunch of goody drow running around on the surface world is insulting to any true drow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... They could do a city of Luskan expansion kind of like city of villains was done for city of heroes, would be funny. ...

No, it wouldn't be funny. I sincerely hope they learned from that mistake the first time.

There is more than one way to add darker sides to the stories without splitting the player base and doubling the work load of the devs.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    ... They could do a city of Luskan expansion kind of like city of villains was done for city of heroes, would be funny. ....
    City of Luskan has been destroyed.

I would recommend city of Amn in its turn. Although Amn is more morally unacceptable place than Luskan ever was.
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My one complaint so far and it is small and workable is the non-existence of Evil or even Neutral Deities in the game. This is something I would like to see added later.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • drowessdrowess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Kelemvor is not an evil deity, he actually despises the Undead with a Divine Passion and sees them as a perversion of the natural order of life and death. Kelemvor is a Neutral Deity and former mortal lover of the mortal Midnight that become the latest incarnation of Mystra.

Corellon is the God of All Elves, as Gill is pointing out, and because of Eilistrasee's sacrifice, he has lifted his curse upon the Drow and they are now able to worship him and receive his blessings once again.

However.... as I keep trying to convey to Cryptic and WotC:

Please Cryptic/WotC, continue adding all the Greater Gods, Gods, Primordials Exarchs, and Archdevils of the Realms! This list should include every power listed in the Forgotten Realms 4e material. As well, it is well known through out history that the peoples of the Abeir-Toril continue following recently deceased gods too, so many of the recently dead gods that were not absorbed into another god's portfolio should also be included.

Most importantly (okay, I may be a teency bit biased in my "most importantly" statement), add Mystra to that list. I am sure you have better sources than I do so you should also very well know she is not "dead." wink.png

Oh yes, we also need a "none" option for those who do not wish to follow any specific Deity.

I'd like to see Eilistraee added to the list too; because by D&D canon she is not dead, unless 4e changed the rules of how a deity dies. But that is more wishful thinking then adding an evil deity like Lolth. And if I can't follow who I'd want, I'd want a "none" option as well. I'd just put my deity in my character description.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    drowess wrote: »
    I'd like to see Eilistraee added to the list too; because by D&D canon she is not dead, unless 4e changed the rules of how a deity dies. But that is more wishful thinking then adding an evil deity like Lolth. And if I can't follow who I'd want, I'd want a "none" option as well. I'd just put my deity in my character description.

Yeah, a lot of people either tend to forget or just aren't aware that the Forgotten Realms rules on Deity Death. If a god "dies" or looses almost all their worshipers and is not absorbed into another Deity, they drift in a dormant and inanimate state within the Astral Sea. They can then come back to life when they either recuperate their lost power (health) or they gain enough followers again.

As far as I know, Eilistrasee was not absorbed into any other Deity, so that means she is out there somewhere, drifting cold and alone trying to regain her power. Since it is clear she had/had a massive following, the issue of worshipers shouldn't be what is holding her back from Resurrection but instead just the fact that she was slain while in a mortal's body and there for suffered unimaginable amount of divine damage. I fully expect her to come back again in the future, unless they write new lore on her being absorbed in a deity or her astral form being destroyed. The only way to truly kill a deity is to both kill them and then somehow manage to find their astral form and destroy that too. That or by being absorbed into a more powerful deity. Even then, there risks the chance of the deity coming back.

FYI, my thoughts and predictions on Elistrasee's return is mere speculation. The rules remain however, until they re-publish the Deities & Demigods rules and re-write them.
  • venomdemmevenomdemme Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 42
    edited February 2013
    I really feel this is alot of BS. They should at less give us the option to skill the god/background story. All the backstory/god picking does is add rp fluff. Which if I want to rp D&D I would join a Larp group. They could at less let you be a god hater. D&D has many god haters.

So they should ether add a skip button to the character creation page. Because picking your background and god is cosmetic. It does not change the campain. Does not change how characters treat you. Also with no evil and few netrual gods. They should remove all character creation options that applies to gods/goddess we can not worship. Like the Cyric tattoos.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    faleth77 wrote: »
    My one complaint so far and it is small and workable is the non-existence of Evil or even Neutral Deities in the game. This is something I would like to see added later.
    There is Tempus God of Battle and War. He is Chaotic Neutral. I would not call him good. Maybe not suitable for a Control Wizard specialization, but generally you must not be Fighter to worship Tempus.

I am Christian, but I don't turn my other cheek. I don't listen to Black Metal, but sometimes rarely to Gothic Metal and well it is sometimes a bit Evil.
    Sirenia - At Sixes and Sevens
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dJdWT2urzM
    Sirenia - The Other Side
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njPWBTIv9qw

Anyway yeah roleplaying neutral and sometimes even Evil can be fun it is not like you are Evil in real life. I like very much horror movies and I would pay certainly if I could play a monster Werewolf or Vampire!
  • ysil6969ysil6969 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »

Anyway yeah roleplaying neutral and sometimes even Evil can be fun it is not like you are Evil in real life. I like very much horror movies and I would pay certainly if I could play a monster Werewolf or Vampire!

Shifters are a 4e race and are mentioned as a race in the Forgotten realms players guide!

@Zeb. I though Elistraee was absorbed by Corellon and that's how he took her seat at the game? Unless I read to far into that moment and Elistraee died, went off, and than Corellon sat down quickly. I guess we won't know until she makes a return O.o

As for gods. I was hoping primordials would be in :( I'm still going to RP a priest of Kossuth! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!
    edited February 2013
    ysil6969 wrote: »
    @Zeb. I though Elistraee was absorbed by Corellon and that's how he took her seat at the game? Unless I read to far into that moment and Elistraee died, went off, and than Corellon sat down quickly. I guess we won't know until she makes a return O.o

As for gods. I was hoping primordials would be in :( I'm still going to RP a priest of Kossuth! YOU CAN'T STOP ME!

I'm not too sure about that. Everything I have read suggests that after she was slain, through her sacrifice, Correllon lifted the curse upon the faithful drow. There are a lot of novels I haven't read though, even though I have read a lot.

Speculation and a DM whose handled the Gods for almost two decades: I do not think Corellon could bring himself to absorb his own daughter. I'd be more apt to believe that he'd want to see her returned someday.

Keep in mind, Cavatina also had her head decapitated by the same sword (which had been broken and mended) and her soul was not destroyed. So, if the sword could no longer destroy a mortal's soul, I doubt it could destroy a god's.

As for the Primordials though, I too hope they're also included at some point.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Corellon is a drow deity.

Corellon is a universal elf deity. I'm pretty sure the poster was refering to a drow specific deity, like Lolth or Eilistraee*

*I REFUSE to accept her supposed demise in 4e :p

PS: I mentioned this in another thread about gods, but they should just let us write our character's god (if any) and background info. Gods and background are purely an RP thing with "0" impact in the game, so they shouldn't pigeonhole us into picking from a limited list our of the countless backgrounds our characters may have or the many D&D gods I'm sure they'll never bother working into that list.

My main has a very specific background: born of a Matron of a minor house in a Lolth controlled drow city, then stolen as a child by her (subsequently killed/sacrificed to Lolth) father to be raised by followers of Eilistraee at the surface. I'm 100% they won't have a background like that in their limited list.

*I REFUSE to accept her supposed demise in 4e :p

PS: I mentioned this in another thread about gods, but they should just let us write our character's god (if any) and background info. Gods and background are purely an RP thing with "0" impact in the game, so they shouldn't pigeonhole us into picking from a limited list our of the countless backgrounds our characters may have or the many D&D gods I'm sure they'll never bother working into that list.

My main has a very specific background: born of a Matron of a minor house in a Lolth controlled drow city, then stolen as a child by her (subsequently killed/sacrificed to Lolth) father to be raised by followers of Eilistraee at the surface. I'm 100% they won't have a background like that in their limited list.

Would be sweet to get some holy symbols on shields/cloaks/tabards etc. though :D Otherwise yeah, I'll just pick a god and say I strayed from them and went to whoever I choose. I'm assuming by launch they'll have either the full pantheon covered or a no choice, uh, choice.

Yeah I don't understand how Cavantina didn't have her soul destroyed, when Qilue, who was possessed by Elistraee, did.
    edited February 2013
    Shifters are a 4e race and are mentioned as a race in the Forgotten realms players guide!
    There are cool Werewolves in the game. I am pretty certain some Devout Cleric players will be tested by powerful Vampires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3zLExMIzE

That said realistically said I believe Half Orc is the last playable race that is announced for release. However many classes and races should be added added after release. I would be willing to pay for priviliege to play as Werewolf or Vampire in this game.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Would be sweet to get some holy symbols on shields/cloaks/tabards etc. though :D

I agree. Though, those can be added as cosmetic items at least, along with some generic symbols for character's whose gods still don't have a symbol. But letting us fill in our own god removes the issue of the devs not being able to add each possible god, then work on a symbol for each to use as an icon on the selection screen.

Additionally, while the game is technically set in FR, the Foundry allows for a lot more, and the Neverwinter name is sure to attract people from the original games, used to be able to make characters from any D&D setting (I even used to frequent a Darksun server, and there were servers based Planescape, Ravenloft, even original settings madeup by the creators hosting the server). Plus there's no reason characters from other worlds couldn't jump to the FR setting, since planar travel is possible in D&D. That means there's potential for followers of just about any god to be in the game, which the devs will never bother (or be able) to include.
    Would be sweet to get some holy symbols on shields/cloaks/tabards etc. though :D Otherwise yeah, I'll just pick a god and say I strayed from them and went to whoever I choose. I'm assuming by launch they'll have either the full pantheon covered or a no choice, uh, choice.

Yeah I don't understand how Cavantina didn't have her soul destroyed, when Qilue, who was possessed by Elistraee, did.
    Indeed, I am still trying to wrap my head around that as well. The only thing I can come up with is using my knowledge of how the Chosens of Mystra live and die, which then makes me believe that her "true death" was due to Qilue being a Chosen of Mystra (which are unlike any other Chosens), they actually become a part of the Magic itself, imbued with the essence of Mystra herself (which she herself is pure raw magic). The power of that sword itself, played no small part, I am sure.

When a Chosen of Mystra dies, their essence is slowly returned to Mystra through Time. Maybe, for whatever reason, Mystra decided to let Qilue remain dead and not return like Sylune or become a servant in Mechanus. Being a Goddess who once ruled over Time itself, it is safe to say Mystryl knows of her entire future's fates and having Qilue's essence slowly returning to her in advance (by just a few years I might add), will quicken Mystra's rise back into power by having part of her essence already in transition. That and by not having Qilue return as a servant in Mechanus, it would save her from being utterly destroyed and not re-absorbed into Mystra. Keeping in mind that when Mystra was slain in her home plane, the entire plane collapsed and destroyed everything still within.

Mind you, this here is just speculation on Qilue's demise and my thoughts on how I understand the way the Mystryl entity exists and all she touches.

I'd also like to take this time to point out that while the last incarnation of Mystra was "Good," she has never barred any alignment from her worship. In fact, her first incarnation was Chaotic Neutral, then shifted to Lawful Neutral and lastly Neutral Good. I remember at one point she was also Chaotic Good. Her alignment is fickle and is subject to change based upon the needs of her portfolio.

So, on that note, we need to also be able to worship "inanimate gods" - Mystra please!
    edited March 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    There are cool Werewolves in the game. I am pretty certain some Devout Cleric players will be tested by powerful Vampires: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xP3zLExMIzE

That said realistically said I believe Half Orc is the last playable race that is announced for release. However many classes and races should be added added after release. I would be willing to pay for priviliege to play as Werewolf or Vampire in this game.

Well I know this game will have excellent PvE due to FOUNDRY and some time after release we will have also Raids!

That said one factor I played WOW for 3.5 years and I also loved both PvE and the PvP. What made WOW PvP excellent was good Battlegrounds AND the two player factions Alliance(good) and Horde(evil). I played as Alliance, but I also loved to play as a cool Worgen(Werewolf) race as Alliance!

While I don't like Guild Wars 2(casual game) it had server vs server vs server PvP. While I see random groups can work for PvP Battlegrounds it would be very nice with Evil gods and an evil Faction.

Honestly we need motivation to both play as Evil or fight Evil!
    Award winning song from year 2011:
    Within Temptation - A shot in the Dark!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akoa0JowJEg
    Choose 720p for good quality!

Proof it is fighting Evil was the subject longer intro version of same song where Evil is mentioned:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81b9-aIM-iE

Passion! Please give that to PvP! Please give freedom to worship Evil gods and that could create excellent reason for PvP Battleground wars! Yeah and then there are those want to play evil for roleplaying reasons, but whatever reason please freedom of choice to choose Evil gods.
    Ok I know maybe not realistic expectation for the release. However I would be happy if that is added also sooner or later after the release.
  • tinypyrotinypyro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 371 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2013
    I browsed through this thread rather quickly, so forgive me if someone said this already and I missed it. But I recall one of the Devs (forget which) mention in the interview they had with Aandre and Deathsicle in the Neverwinter NOCS podcast, that evil gods were indeed something they would like to include sooner than later. I believe they said (initially anyways) that choosing your god would perhaps set your alignment to match the god, and that it would be purely for RP purposes.

I don't recall the details exactly. Feel free to listen to the Podcast though. You can find it here http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?18101-Introducing-the-Nevewinter-Online-Crossroads-Show-podcast-the-quot-NOCS-quot in the Neverwinter discussion forum, or also on Itunes