test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How much is everyone willing to pay for a F2P Game?

Comments

• foodlefoodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If the game is good and the cash shop is not pay to win. I would spend 5-10 bucks a month on average. If the game is pay to win I am gone faster then a candy bar in a fat camp. Opening month of GW2 I did drop 50 bucks on the gem shop.
  • mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Keeps deleting my text, so cant reply to post.. -.-
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • banaancbanaanc Member Posts: 472 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    i guess some 0~20$/month depending on how good the game is. and how well that money is spent, would be willing to pay subscription(or similar) if the game is good and client is free, or b2p

atm i dont spend my money on games but dont mind buying for in game currency from other players, and supporting company that way.

• ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I tend to spend money pretty frivolously on mounts and cosmetics :)
    But once the pay2win line is crossed I'm out. Different people have different tolerances for this.
    I also don't care for a game where devs dont care to fix bugs. I remember back when you could expect a game to actually WORK when it first came out. Those were the days.

Which reminds me: has there been any word on Mounts in this game?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I tend to spend money pretty frivolously on mounts and cosmetics :)
    But once the pay2win line is crossed I'm out. Different people have different tolerances for this.
    I also don't care for a game where devs dont care to fix bugs. I remember back when you could expect a game to actually WORK when it first came out. Those were the days.

Which reminds me: has there been any word on Mounts in this game?

Thanks to the incessant tweeting of Craig, not only will there be mounts (plural) there seems to be a spider mount option too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    Sweet :)
    .... how about flying mounts? :P Maybe a little down the line.
    I might have to make a twitter account just to follow this guy. It seems like a much better source of information than this websight (sadly).
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    Sweet :)
    .... how about flying mounts? :P Maybe a little down the line.
    I might have to make a twitter account just to follow this guy. It seems like a much better source of information than this websight (sadly).

Yeah a pretty pretty Pegasus...I mean *manly clearing of his throat* AHEM AHEM! YEAH A GRIFFION! A BIG TOUGH GRIFFION!

But fear not! You can always follow Craig logged in or not at this location!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Yeah a pretty pretty Pegasus...I mean *manly clearing of his throat* AHEM AHEM! YEAH A GRIFFION! A BIG TOUGH GRIFFION!

But fear not! You can always follow Craig logged in or not at this location!

Yeah I went ahead and made a twitter account to follow him heh.

And don't worry I won't tell anyone about your ponies.
    But seriously pegasus can be manly... right?
    I have this vision of a white wizard/ eldritch knight who fights mounted then takes to the sky to launch fireballs.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    myliuttlepony_zpsa2156518.png

enough said...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    mewbrey wrote: »
    Keeps deleting my text, so cant reply to post.. -.-
    Looks like you were using special characters. The forums do not support "special" characters and when used, that character and everything following will get omitted. Stick to US-English letters and characters and you should be okay.
    edited November 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    myliuttlepony_zpsa2156518.png

enough said...

Wait is that the pretty or manly version?
    It has tattoos but of shiney bowed bells
    It has cool jewelery...but has jewelery
    It has leg warmers, but manly turquiose pins on 'em.
    It has manga-eyes, but they are soooo saaaaad and forlorn

*Haz been confusez*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Wait is that the pretty or manly version?
    It has tattoos but of shiney bowed bells
    It has cool jewelery...but has jewelery
    It has leg warmers, but manly turquiose pins on 'em.
    It has manga-eyes, but they are soooo saaaaad and forlorn

*Haz been confusez*

That was the goody goody manly version, when I get a hold of them and get done tort... erm modifying them they look more like this:

demonic_pegasus_small_zps85d0c22e.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • geladongeladon Member Posts: 6
    edited February 2013
    I see a very mistake in the Headline of the OP.

F2P <-> Payment ..
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I budget $30 a month for online gaming (after box purchase). I limit myself to that so I don't get all excited about new shiny things in cash shops and spend more than I should. That's more than enough, IMO, for MMO spending in a month. If this game is good and the items in the cash shop are worth it to me I might spend $30 here, I might not.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Necromancy! Get the torches!
  • castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Necromancy! Get the torches!

I didn't even notice. :/
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    How much is everyone willing to pay for a F2P Game?

Nothing, because they're free :p

F2P games are not about specific monthly spending or "buying" the game (that would be B2P), they're about buying specific items/options/features or services "a la carte" as they become available if/when you want them, assuming that you 1) have the money and 2) feel that the asking price is worth it. Whether I'm willing to spend whatever they're asking for something depends on whether or not I feel that the price is reasonable for whatever specific item/option/feature or service they're selling, I have the money and I want it at that time.

Since specific items/options/features or services, what they offer and their percieved "worth" can vary widely from game to game (even when they're the same type of specific items/options/features or services, such as character slots, costume parts, respec tokens, character housing, etc.) it is impossible to place a specific price figure.

Character housing with extensive customizability and useful features (bank access, training area [assuming the game requires training to learn new abilities], access to zones, etc.), for example, could sell for a higher cost (or at least I'd be willing to spend considerably more) than one with limited customizability and/or features. But alternately, limited housing could be sold as a package, while housing with extensive customizability and features could be "free", but all furniture and features be sold separately (and eventually cost comparatively more than packaged, limited housing, depending on the number of "furniture packs" and/or features you buy). It all depends on what the game offers and how they choose to monetize the features they sell.

I tend to use the typical B2P price tag of $60 for an entire game to gauge whether or not I feel that the asking price for specific items/options/features or services is worth it. If a feature is too close to $60 or more I tend to pass unless it offers something comparatively big (compared to a whole game), such as a game expansion with access to new zones, etc. I may go as high as $10 or so for costume sets and other customization options, depending on the number of pieces and their quality (how much work I perceive would go into making them and how well they turn out), as well as amount of customization allowed (non-recolorable costume parts are a hard sell for $10 for me, and I'd likely not buy them unless I absolutely WANT them for my main).

Things like character slots and respec tokens, however, are up for grabs, since they depend highly on the game (some games are more alt-friendly than others, or offer more extensive customization of character abilities), but tend to be on the $5-$10 price range. And I'm generally willing to pay more for character slots (since they're a permanent, reusable service) than respecs (since they're a one time use consumable). In a game like D&D, I suppose I'd be willing to pay $10+ for new classes or races.

PS: Sorry if these points have been made, since I didn't have time to read the whole thread.
    It really depends on the game. The more pay to win it is, the less I am willing to spend (usually $0 if at an extreme). It also varies with how it is implemented in terms of information made available at time of purchase, for example, I bought a founder's pack in Mechwarriors Online but then got a full refund and have not given them a dime since because several very important facts about how the founder's packs would be implemented were left out. The dealbreaker there was they announced they would start premium time when the game entered open beta. Under pressure from many refund requests they changed this, but it was too late to save me as a paying customer. I have spent significant money on World of Tanks because I like the game and their payment model is within reasonable limits although some items are ridiculously priced and occasionally too pay to win. I have been talking up this game for months and trying to talk some of my WoT buddies into playing as well as some Rift buddies but have been appalled at the founders program here and the paid only beta weekends (first weekend completely restricted, others weekends partially restricted, and lowest pack not even including access). I am now much more closely following Elder Scrolls Online development and while I may still play NW am thinking my money will be heading to ESO unless they make similar mistakes. At least with F2P, a model being mishandled by so many companies, the consumer can still play the game while protesting the payment model. Had the founders packages been properly done here I would already have a purchase made and be cranking up for beta.

I am really unsure why companies think that the F2P model means they have so little obligation to provide value for money spent. $200 would have covered an entire year of playing EQ, including purchasing the game, where the game was completely functional and the player would have no testing obligations. Of course, in NW I cannot imagine one should feel any obligation to test after paying $200 to play in an incomplete game.
  • xantrisxantris Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    F2P's target what the industry terms "whales", which ultimately spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on a game. Those players pay the bills.
  • horrorscope666horrorscope666 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 415 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I spend on Inventory Increase, access to chat/trade/auction. If the games need any of those, that's about it. Some I get away with $15 overall. DDO I usually sub when I play, but I have dropped more coin there. Here's the trick to getting my money in FTP... I have to really like it. I have to want to play if for an extended time. Almost all have been, bare bones... tire and quit, zero spent. I will never be the guy where I blow huge amounts, that simply isn't going to happen for many reasons. One sense, two don't have it to blow.

PvE games I don't need boosts, they all are stupid easy enough as they cater to a low common denominator. So buying boosts just make it even worse. Catch 22 for them, haha!
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Well, since Foundry isn't monetized at all, that won't be coming out of my budget.

Honestly, until the cash shop is up, I honestly won't know. I spent about $22 on CO, and I've been completely happy since. One or two costume packs I've wanted, but otherwise, not much really grabs me.

Of course, if a mage pack comes out, bingo. I'm on it like white on rice. Same with Swordmage.
  • hardicon1hardicon1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    if i like the game then i will pay some money. no idea how much. im using this as a second game specifically because it is free to play and doesnt require that monthly fee. so if i like it ill spend some money, all depends on the enjoyment i get out of the service. if i dont like it then I wont play it.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    For me the fact that it is F2P is irrelevant. This is a AAA game title with as much or more invested in its development as any P2P game. It is simply a choice of revenue model. If the game is fun, I am willing to play the same amount I would pay for a subscription based game. So, about $300 annually. Thats $20/month plus the average $60 cost of one box or expansion.
  • arkonagadearkonagade Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would gladly pay 500$ a year if the game is very good :)
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    I already spend a couple hundred a year on PWE games. I don't see that decreasing because of this; I've already spent that much on this game and it hasn't even launched yet.
    edited February 2013
    Okay due to the Founder packs I'll allow this thread to return but in the future make a NEW thread please. Carry on, interesting discussions.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aevicaevic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I used to ABHOR the free to play cash shop business model, as I was less than optimistic that all of the content I would personally consider "core" would be in the free to play portion, and that just to actually enjoy the game (fluff aside) I would end up having to spend more money. I have since pulled a 180 on my thinking, ...mostly.

One thing I hate is when a free to play business model simply gives you a watered down crappy version of the game, such as the free to play version of EverQuest 2 where none of my characters can equip any of their awesome gear unless I pay that month, or buy these consumables that let you individually unlock pieces of gear to be usable on free to play. And while playing for free, your inventory might as well be a coin purse heh. Fortunately I don't foresee these types of F2P limitations becoming genre standards.

In contrast to what someone previously said about preferring to pay for additional content but not for silly hats etc, I personally disagree. I'm thinking about cash strapped college students or the family man/woman that has several mouths to answer for: and these guys/gals probably want to play all the "playable content" without having to purchase anything, like a dungeon DLC for example. This way, they can play all the actually playable stuff while still being under the F2P moniker, yet the developers still get a paycheck because of the playerbase willing to drop some $$ on silly hats, or amazingly awesome looking armor/mounts/whatever.

But for the most part, I completely back the new free to play movement for one simple reason: multi-mmo gaming. Having played several dozen MMOs since 1996, it has been painfully apparent over the years that not everyone in your gaming social circles enjoy the same games. Hell even your own genre tastes may sway from fantasy to sci-fi etc. And god do I hate remembering a great friend online and thinking damn I haven't seen so-and-so since X-game. A lot of guilds/groups/clans/friends find moderate to even great success in staying in touch via websites/IMs/VOIPs/Email or whatever, but for a lot of folk, relationships are still lost via transitions from one game to another. What I truly love about F2P games is that I can keep Meridian 59 installed, GW2 installed, TSW etc etc all installed, and login and check out what's going on in any one of them at any time without having to worry about which games I want to cancel or subscribe to in any given month.

I like being able to go back into a game I haven't played in sixth months, getting excited about content patches and the like, and somehow getting vested/hooked for another month. If the game were subscription based I would have to watch YouTube videos and read articles about all the updates to various games and changes in content/mechanics then decide whether or not I'd be willing to resubscribe and try it out. There's no spontaneity with P2P, except spontaneity that costs you $$ and sometimes leaves you pissed at yourself wondering why you just dropped another $##.## on said game when you were done with it after two days.

All that being said, I personally love spending money on cosmetic things and the like in F2P games if 1) I'm having a blast and I feel like whichever item I want to buy isn't gonna break the bank, and 2) if I'm optimistic about the possibilities of the game's future, content and mechanics that I at the time think "OMG there's so much potential in XY for YZ if they just actually toss this into the priority mix of development". Nothing sucks more than actually being in a game that you truly love more than anything else, and find out it's being canned or that there will be no more new content because the publisher's aren't generating enough income to pay developers.

But then again I also make sure I buy Blu-Rays of the shows I love, or CDs or payed digital downloads of the songs I love, because I feel like a such a beyotch cancerous cell sucking the life of the arts I love if I don't help support them. Maybe I'm naive, shrug.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I would buy account enhancement items like char slots, bank space ect ect. As for cosmetics... not a super fan but would but the occasional good stuff like that armored nightmare mount in the stream vid. What I would definitely not buy is convenience items like is shown in the helper pack like rez scrolls, xp pots, ect ect unless it was an incredibly grind-some like DDO's cannith crafting. Crafting XP boosts are the only things I bought in the DDO that were convenience/time efficiency item.

In short I would drop $5-$10 bucks a month on items if they caught my attention.
  • voqarvoqar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No idea but I don't mind throwing money at a good dev for a good game.

I think the idea of paying 60 or 200 for founder paks that have ridiculously overpowered stuff in them is...ridiculous, both for the price and the stuff - in a F2P. I could see paying 60 ahead of time for beta access and trivial perks if there was a box price, ala GW2, but for a F2P it seems rather insane. Paying 200 without even playing a game is beyond insane

The 200 prepay reminds me a numerous failed games that either had lifetime subs or other idiotically priced early plans. I don't think any game that has ever had this scam has ended up worth a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. So, as someone who has high hopes for this game the whole pricing scheme and 200 money grab scam makes me nervous.

Drop 200 over time, years if the game is that good? Possibly but it better be one utterly amazing game that keeps me around for a LONG time. Dropping 200 on a game nobody has played yet? I have plenty of money but I'm not into flushing it down toilets.

Personally, I'm sick of F2P. I think it's worse than subs. B2P where you buy the box and deal with less extreme cash shops is the best model IMO. Guaranteed money for the devs, no utterly useless freeloaders (player quality tends to dip way down low in F2P), and less gateway/blocked stuff you end up having to pay for to really enjoy a game.

Rift might have been worth a 15/mo sub when it first came out - they were putting in new stuff at a ridiculous rate. No other MMORPG these days is worth a 15/mo sub. But on the flip side, F2P is as equally lame. B2P seems to be the happy medium.
  • aevicaevic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    voqar wrote: »
    Personally, I'm sick of F2P. I think it's worse than subs. B2P where you buy the box and deal with less extreme cash shops is the best model IMO. Guaranteed money for the devs, no utterly useless freeloaders (player quality tends to dip way down low in F2P), and less gateway/blocked stuff you end up having to pay for to really enjoy a game.

I'm not trying to argue with your opinion here, but I would like to simply disagree in part to this one statement here. I disagree in part only due to my experiences in World of Warcraft, where everyone's paying $15 a month and the VAST majority of random players I meet or have the displeasure of conversing with (players that I don't already know or am affiliated with via guilds etc) are complete wastes of immoral life. I have come to believe, over time, that paying for a subscription in no way filters the quality of character in the playerbase. Edit1: I do concede in part that this opinion of mine is biased because of WoW, and also concede that obviously other players will have had differing experiences. I do challenge however anyone with drastically differing results to start up a random conversation in general chat, and compare the ratio of trolling/abusive/sexual/racist responses to anything remotely constructive.

Maybe it's cynicism, but I'm really starting to think that today's average online gamer is far more likely to fall into this category than not: Google "John Gabriel's Greater Internet Theory" and click on the Penny Arcade link. (expletive purposefully deleted so as not to have this post itself deleted)

Edit2: Another example I just remembered of people online, not necessarily gamers, who are probably vastly more immoral online than IRL, when the Fine Brothers are questioning the normal group of teens in their Teens React series about Amanda Todd, and the replies from the teens regarding why people online would continue to leave ridiculously hurtful comments on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VF6cmddWOgU