test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Race Would be Best For Cleric

perth74perth74 Member Posts: 29 Arc User
edited April 2013 in PvE Discussion
Hello all, So I really don't know that much about the new rules set for D+D, so was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas about what would be the best race for a Cleric, was think an elf at the moment.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by perth74 on

Comments

• Options
    garrettroguegarrettrogue Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2013
    perth74 wrote: »
    Hello all, So I really don't know that much about the new rules set for D+D, so was wondering if anyone could give me some ideas about what would be the best race for a Cleric, was think an elf at the moment.

Probably Human or Dwarf they always tend to have more Constitution and are better at thriving in combat. For pure healing power you will want a race with more Wisdom I think Elves get +2 Wisdom.
  • Options
    noshmeknoshmek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited February 2013
    Dwarves in 4e get +2 Constitution and +2 Wisdom. Whether they will receive that in Neverwinter is yet to be verified. If true, however, they would make the best clerics.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Thanks for the information.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Elves get +2 wisdom now? For ages it used to be +Dex and -Con. Except for a couple of sub-races, which gave +Int and +Str. High Elves and Wood/Wild Elves, respectively.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    keaoliankeaolian Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Evil Drow Cleric FTW. Muhaha
  • Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I just looked up some information online, it looks like elves get +2 Dex and +2 Wis in 4th Ed.... Interesting.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    cgorocgoro Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The best race for any class is subjective, the main deciding factor except aesthetic and role-playing arguements are what bonus does this race give to the chosen class. In the clerics case, depending how they adapt things in the game your main stats are: wisdom or strength and main secondary stats: charisma and constitution. As Neverwinter has only the devoted cleric included at start (str is optimal for battle cleric builds), I assume you would have to focus on wisdom as main stat and charisma\constitution as secondary. So any race that improves wisdom and one secondary stat is adequate.
    This is my arguement for chosing elf as the race for my cleric (+2 to wisdom, +2 to dexterity and Elven accuracy), ignoring the aesthetical factor (that and the fact that I played 3 elven clerics and one elven favored soul for 5 years in DDO, habits are hard to change...).
    The following links, while not being adaptable to the Neverwinter game, can give you an idea on how 4th edition clerics work, hope it helps you as much as it helped me.

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19648822/The_Clerics_Bible_Making_a_4e_Cleric
    http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1590.0
    "There is no such thing such as a moral phenomenon, only a moral interpretation of a phenomenon." - Friedrich Nietszche, Beyond Good and Evil, Part IV, 108, Antet publishing house, p. 74.
  • Options
    sparrowofshadesparrowofshade Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    awesome, thanks for those links cgoro
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm probably not adding any value to answering the OP question but I'm just gonna play the race that I like the look of the best when I go through the character creation.

Until we play some beta and try different builds, it'll be hard to know how much the racial traits will effect gameplay until numbers are crunched for different builds.
  • Options
    zynk0zynk0 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If the MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE gets the same stat's as a Drow +2 DEX and +2 Wis/Cha then it might make a good choice.
  • Options
    tronc8463tronc8463 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    zynk0 wrote: »
    If the MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE gets the same stat's as a Drow +2 DEX and +2 Wis/Cha then it might make a good choice.

Pretty sure that the MENZOBERRANZAN RENEGADE is purely a story and a additional de-buff (Farie Fire) so any racial they gain would be identical to those of the normal Drow.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Yeah drow or elf could be good choice if they both get the +2 wisdom. have to decide on beta when we have move information on the drow stats.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Unlike the previous 3rd edition, racial stat bonuses aren't vital for class selection Take your time when the description comes up and pick what you want to play.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    daventry23daventry23 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 103 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I'm just hoping each class has a variety of ways to build them up. I don't like cookie cutter builds in mmo's I like diversity. I like the option to go either full blown healing abilities / feats etc or possibly a combat cleric if I want. Same goes for the other classes with a small 5 classes to start and them not having much variety 2 dps / 2 support / 1 tank I really hope to see variety come into play.

Great weapon tanks , control mage pure dps , rogue support ( maybe debuffs / stuns ) just would love to see each class branch off a good bit.
    Blue, green, grey, white, or black; smooth, ruffled, or mountainous; that ocean is not silent.
    H. P. Lovecraft
  • Options
    unsaltedazunsaltedaz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In 4th ed its pretty easy to blur certain lines and harder with others. For example, turning your controller wizard into a striker is a matter of spell selections. Turning your defender Fighter into a striker(Great weapon fighter) or a controller light(Tempest fighter) is easy also.

In my experience turning anything into a leader or a defender is much, much harder. Turning a Wizard into a defender? Probably not going to happen, even in 4th ed. Its not for lack of will or options, but because the leader and the defender have certain mechanics built into those classes that make them the obvious choice for those roles.

In 4th ed there is a mechanic called marking, owed to the defenders. This mechanic offers the defenders a way to punish or hinder monsters that dont specifically attack the defender. Other classes lack this mark punishment feature in whole or in part, and it's not a feature that is easily impersonated with other abilities or feats(player choices).

Similarly, leaders are better equipped mechanically to take advantage of healing surge exploits. Allowing other players to heal hitpoints by spending a limited resource while buffing or changing how effective that healing resource can be is generally reserved to a special few classes. Again, its considerably harder to imitate a leader's ability to exploit this mechanic than it is to make a leader able to hold its own as a striker.

One of the things I like most about this edition of dnd is that the races are homogenized without being homogenized. Wait what? Well...

Let me explain - There are certain races that just make sense for certain classes mechanically(and thematically even!). There are also certain races that would not normally make sense, in turn. 4th ed does not punish the player for their race/class but rather rewards pairings that make sense. Dwarven fighters, Elven Rangers, Halfling Rogues, etc...

Since there are no negative ability modifiers any more - the bottom line of character "effectiveness" for odd race/class combos is no longer degrees below the obvious choices or normal pairings. The bottom line is now a set line that applies to all class/races and you can only improve from that point based on your choices.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    There will be marking and the cleric and other future leaders will specialize in optional healing powers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My worry/question is how much are the racial stat bonuses really worth going for. In Pen and Paper 4th Edition those 2 stat points put in the right spot mean a LOT.

How important are they in NW here? How much do your primary stats modify things like mana and such? How many items are there of +5 Con, +5 Wis, and things like that?

I guess those are all questions we'll get answered in a few days.
  • Options
    crithappycrithappy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'd say dwarf would be best
  • Options
    discordinationdiscordination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 34
    edited February 2013
    Is it weird that I can't get over the fact that dwarves are short? Give me an ugly half-orc Barbarian anyday, just not a short little bundle of awesome that I admit dwarves are. Beards, ale, axes, mining, greed, metalworking; I love it all. But I'll be damned if I have to look up everyone's noses for the rest of my life.

So yeah, I'm making a human cleric.
    Essence of Aggression member
    Former 666th Devil Dogs Neverwinter Co-Commander
    16.6k BiS TR Flosstradamus
    15.8k BiS CW Veria Noying
    17.8 BiS GWF Carnage Asada
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »
    My worry/question is how much are the racial stat bonuses really worth going for. In Pen and Paper 4th Edition those 2 stat points put in the right spot mean a LOT.

How important are they in NW here? How much do your primary stats modify things like mana and such? How many items are there of +5 Con, +5 Wis, and things like that?

I guess those are all questions we'll get answered in a few days.

Don't sweat over it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    something about a drow holy cleric disturbs me...im thinking unholy would be better :)
  • Options
    malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm planning on a half-orc cleric, myself. From the hints being dropped there will be enough attribute bonuses later in game that I probably won't be gimping myself, but if not...well, I'd rather find out in beta. =)
  • Options
    shadow71shadow71 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 50
    edited February 2013
    blizzid wrote: »
    something about a drow holy cleric disturbs me...im thinking unholy would be better :)

Drow

More commonly referred to as Dark Elves, drow have characteristics similar to their elven kin, but can be easily identified by their midnight black skin. A matriarchal society, drow tend to live in the Underdark, where they serve their evil deity, Lolth. However, some drow choose to reject this way of life and flee to the surface of Faer
  • Options
    aznlaznaznlazn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited February 2013
    blizzid wrote: »

Hah, but there are evil deities and thus, evil clerics! :D

Not sure if we'll be allowed to select such a deity, especially if it would go against the storyline by creating conflicts for characters going against designs of their deity. :P
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Drow male cleric of lloth, or how ever you spell it, well the deity is a pipedream but rest should be doable eventually :)
  • Options
    crestieecrestiee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I don't want to get off topic about clerics and all, but if someone could tell me which race would have best stats for a wizard, I would really appreciate it, thanks.
  • Options
    bedwyerbedwyer Member Posts: 85 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Human should be the best...imo
    Silverhand
  • Options
    pwrobert722pwrobert722 Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malagarr wrote: »
    I'm planning on a half-orc cleric, myself. From the hints being dropped there will be enough attribute bonuses later in game that I probably won't be gimping myself, but if not...well, I'd rather find out in beta. =)

Not as bad as you may even be thinking. Since in 4e, there are no -# stats, only +# stats.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Tiefling if you want to get the int bump stat match and the damage links for wizard....now back to cleric.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ethicerethicer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just think about it: Even a cleric has to kill stuff sometimes. I don't think there is a full "heal" build or strategy.