test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Which Race Would be Best For Cleric

13»

Comments

• Options
    tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    xcammi wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to be any race that gets you bonus points to both a primary and secondary stat so I went with primary and racials that fit my play style. With all the gear and enchantments possibilities, a few points shouldn't matter much at max level.

I think this is the main "problem" as not a single one of the races stands out. Some of the other classes have obvious races that get 2 out 3 or even 3 out of 3 stat bonuses. NONE of the races = 2/3 for DC. All of them get 1 out of 3 and that's it.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    tekaru wrote: »
    I think this is the main "problem" as not a single one of the races stands out. Some of the other classes have obvious races that get 2 out 3 or even 3 out of 3 stat bonuses. NONE of the races = 2/3 for DC. All of them get 1 out of 3 and that's it.

This is definitely a problem. As it stands now you can get +2/+2 stats in the following combos (sorted by first stat choice, with repetition):

If you want Str:
    - Str/Con (Dwarf)
    - Str/Dex (Half Orc)

If you want Con:
    - Con/Str (Dwarf)
    - Con/Dex (Half Orc, Halfling)
    - Con/Wis (Dwarf)
    - Con/Cha (Tiefling)

If you want Dex:
    - Dex/Str (Half Orc)
    - Dex/Con (Half Orc, Halfing)
    - Dex/Int (Elf)
    - Dex/Wis (Elf)
    - Dex/Cha (Halfing)
    (Yes Dex goes with everything.)

If you want Int:
    - Int/Dex (Elf)
    - Int/Cha (Tiefling)

If you want Wis:
    - Wis/Dex (Elf)
    - Wis/Con (Dwarf)

If you want Cha:
    - Cha/Con (Halfing, Tiefling)
    - Cha/Int (Tiefling)

Edit: Forgot Half Orc under Str/Dex
  • Options
    lurkersxlurkersx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The three extra feat points from humans seems powerful though. Not sure how many you would get by max level but it gives you the option to choose what bonus you want.
  • Options
    wardenmwardenm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 41
    edited April 2013
    tekaru wrote: »

It means waiting or buying the HotN pack, but there's a fair bit of speculation that the second stat option for Drow are +2 Cha/+2 Wis, as compared to the normal +2 CHA/+2 Dex. Haven't played Clerics since... well, AD&D Not sure what all bonuses they get from CHA, but it might be an option.
  • Options
    unspecifiederrorunspecifiederror Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 315 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    wardenm wrote: »
    It means waiting or buying the HotN pack, but there's a fair bit of speculation that the second stat option for Drow are +2 Cha/+2 Wis, as compared to the normal +2 CHA/+2 Dex. Haven't played Clerics since... well, AD&D Not sure what all bonuses they get from CHA, but it might be an option.

I will be thrilled if it's +2 Cha and +2 Wis instead of another +2 Dex +2 something else.

A Wis/Cha combo on a cleric is pretty strong. Cha gives Recharge speed, Action point gain, Companion stat bonus, Combat advantage bonus. The first 2 being the biggest selling points but Companion Stats aren't too bad either, especially with the rune to gain X% of a companion's stats for yourself (stacks with the Ion Stone's natural stat gifting for what it's worth).

I'd actually prefer Wis/Cha over Wis/Str.
  • Options
    tekarutekaru Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've read in a few posts that Drow will be +2 Dex and either +2 Charisma or +2 Wisdom.
    Which puts them in the exact same boat as everyone else: they can pick DC but will only get 1 out of 3 bonus stats (Wisdom OR Charisma).

I've read other posts that said it might be either +2 Charisma or +2 Intelligence. which still means 1/3 bonus stats for CW.

(remarkably, Half Orc get THREE out of THREE if they choose GWF or GF!! O.o )
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    lurkersx wrote: »
    The three extra feat points from humans seems powerful though. Not sure how many you would get by max level but it gives you the option to choose what bonus you want.

Yea this is my sentiment as well. Humans can choose their +2 stat allotment and then the additional feats allow for further customization. I'm not saying they make the best clerics, but human would be my first choice based purely on a min/max pov. Having said that, I have tried a tiefling recovery based cleric and it fit my playstyle better than a wis/power focused cleric.

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    nikadaemusnikadaemus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I made both, a human for W2 and then a Tiefling rec build for W3

The 3 heroic feats are most likely going to be used in the 4th tier, since you only ever get 20 normally to put in there (or 23)

Armor Pen buff, Cleanse and extra Divinity are the T4 feats. AR is mainly for dps builds, Cleanse would work very well with healer build & Divinity accrual bonus fits most builds :)

Did manage 9% AP by L34, 12% while the buff was up. Scales quite well imho for damage
  • Options
    njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited April 2013
    I can't make up my mind for which race to pick in BW3 I played a Half-Elf and had a lot of fun with it... but not sure if that was the best race to choose... I'm leaning towards Human for the 3 feats thing.
  • Options
    deahamletdeahamlet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I like half-elf because I don't ever like playing human (was bad enough having to play human sorc and FvS in DDO sigh)... and dwarves do not appeal to me. WIS/CON I can live with. I wish there was a possibility for WIS/STR or WIS/CHA but wisdom is always the ugly middle child that everyone ignores. In DDO wisdom on items at max level offered only 2 items choices while every other stat had myriads of options.

Was there any race in PnP that had wis/str or wis/cha? I can't recall, always went for looks :P
  • Options
    kilo418kilo418 Member Posts: 823 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Drow has wis/cha
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    kilo418 wrote: »
    Drow has wis/cha

No, they have Dex; Char or Int.
  • Options
    gregreidgregreid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Played three Clerics in BW2 and BW3... For me the Dwarf was the best. More for my playstyle (80%+ Solo)... In one on one battles, the other races were getting knocked prone way too much, the Dwarven racial abilities kept him on his feet... For me...

Dwarf FTW!
  • Options
    roninthehoodroninthehood Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 184 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    DROW....nuff said
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited April 2013
    Tiefling is a good option for the DPS shy classes, because the 5% extra damage when target is below 50% health is a pretty big boost. Their other ability - when struck 10% chance to lower the power of the attacker by 5% - is also pretty good for clerics. Their primary stat is Charisma, with either Dex or... something, Int maybe.

Anyways, they make good clerics.

If you're looking to min/max tho, Human is almost always the best way to go for every class/build. The 3 feat points is almost always better than any racial bonus. Basically, it assures you taking Toughness to maximum. +9% HP > any racial bonus.

It's worth noting, tho, that the racial bonuses are small enough to always be overcome by gear. Min-maxers will appreciate the subtle bonuses different races offer, but in the end, your race is very much an aesthetic decision. Pick one you like: if you build, gear and play your character right, he'll be just as powerful as any.