test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Race/Class combos?

barkynbarkyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
can all playable races select any class in the game? not a fan of mmos where races are restricted from using certain classes.
"Just because im short and stumpy doesnt mean im not fast and nimble. my thirst for treasure keeps me...shall we say...more athletic than most dwarves" Dakoldin Quiverbeard (Dwarven Ranger)
Post edited by barkyn on

Comments

• Options
    meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    barkyn wrote: »
    can all playable races select any class in the game? not a fan of mmos where races are restricted from using certain classes.

Judging from the videos, it looks like there will be no restrictions on that. Though some race bonuses lend themselves to certain classes better than others.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yes. As per devs, classes are not gender or race locked.
  • Options
    wildchild2405wildchild2405 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2013
    I think u can change race when you reach a certain lv in this game .
  • Options
    edited January 2013

I don't really believe they will allow such a thing as it will break the lore of the game.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    I highly doubt that. In D&D, the only way to change your own race is either by a (was) Wish Spell or by a Reincarnation spell. That or divine intervention or some other design, determined by the DM.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I haven't heard of any race change option both in 4e and in this MMO. Also checked and confirmed all classes are available for all races as per the theme of 4th ed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    m1ndfr1km1ndfr1k Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    so can we hope for other races or i better look for another mmo?????
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I still hope i won't see eladrin paladins or dwarf rogues... but i know i will be disappointed.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    mastrshadowmastrshadow Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    On the topic of race changing... One thing I would love is the ability to class change. I hate having to have 24357 characters all with different names if I want to play another class. FF XIs Job system is the best class system I've ever experienced (100% my opinion, yours will vary.) I doubt it will be the same here but as someone who never had enough friends to actually play any DnD, did the 4th ed rule set allow for class changes?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    On the topic of race changing... One thing I would love is the ability to class change. I hate having to have 24357 characters all with different names if I want to play another class. FF XIs Job system is the best class system I've ever experienced (100% my opinion, yours will vary.) I doubt it will be the same here but as someone who never had enough friends to actually play any DnD, did the 4th ed rule set allow for class changes?

This would mean make a completely different character with completely different abilities and role. No, it's not possible.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    tehvaldrtehvaldr Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I still hope i won't see eladrin paladins or dwarf rogues... but i know i will be disappointed.

What's wrong with dwarf rogues? We had Dorna Trapspringer in NWN: SOU and if I remember correctly Aribeth was supposed to be full elf in early designs. Those combos seem to fit perfectly in the lore
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    tehvaldr wrote: »
    What's wrong with dwarf rogues? We had Dorna Trapspringer in NWN: SOU and if I remember correctly Aribeth was supposed to be full elf in early designs. Those combos seem to fit perfectly in the lore

What's wrong is that dwarf lore hardly fits rogue fluff, at least imho. But, i guess that my example was "viable". Then i'll put in the fray a mythical figure: the halfling wizard.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would love to be an Elf Ranger but Cryptic left out a lot of the starting classes. Monk, Druid, Bard, & Ranger to be more specific. Yet we end up wit two fighter classes. Go figure. Reminds me of their mistakes with the launch of star trek online to be honost. Leaveing things that should in the game at launch out is never a wise choice. I warned Cryptic of that dureing the STO beta and I guess they didnt learn from their mistakes.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    ... Then i'll put in the fray a mythical figure: the halfling wizard.

Made me remember the "Yo!!" wizard in Daggerdale game :p

I was going to say dwarven wizard instead of rogue, but then I remembered part 2 of NWN-OC.

You see, stories like to have characters who break norms - like good drow for example. Then slowly they become so overused that they become the norm.

So I completely am with denkasaeba with it :D
  • Options
    barkynbarkyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What's wrong is that dwarf lore hardly fits rogue fluff, at least imho. But, i guess that my example was "viable". Then i'll put in the fray a mythical figure: the halfling wizard.
    sorry but your out of luck on that. Forgotten Realms was full of dwarf rogues. 2 I know of in the games and 1 in the books
    "Just because im short and stumpy doesnt mean im not fast and nimble. my thirst for treasure keeps me...shall we say...more athletic than most dwarves" Dakoldin Quiverbeard (Dwarven Ranger)
  • Options
    vagrantzerovagrantzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »
    I would love to be an Elf Ranger but Cryptic left out a lot of the starting classes. Monk, Druid, Bard, & Ranger to be more specific. Yet we end up wit two fighter classes. Go figure. Reminds me of their mistakes with the launch of star trek online to be honost. Leaveing things that should in the game at launch out is never a wise choice. I warned Cryptic of that dureing the STO beta and I guess they didnt learn from their mistakes.

Because all the classes have been announced and what we have is final yes?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Because all the classes have been announced and what we have is final yes?
    I know you were being sarcastic here but I'd just like to clarify for others:

Cryptic has stated that they really are only limited to the Classes and Races that WotC allows them to put into the game and that they plan on continually adding new races and classes as the game progresses after release. Whether the classes and races we see now are the ones at release, not even us Moderators know for sure if there will be more Classes and Races prior to launch. We just know they plan on continuing to add more after release, for sure. Heck, we were just as surprised and happy at seeing the Great Weapon Fighter announced as many of you were!
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    Remember baldurs gate 2 for console had a rogue dwarf, but he was more of a treasure hunter.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dwarves are probably the second most diverse race to humans in the D&D universe. anyone who says a dwarf cant be a mage, or rogue, anything other than a raging drunk with a 2handed axe...truly doesn't appreciate the broad spectrum that Dwarves have to offer. they are a race of vast intelligence where they govern huge underground cities of flabbergasting magnitude that "Dwarf" that of a typical elf city. They are and forever will be my favorite race, and a dwarf rogue has always been my play style (always playing that class/race combo that isnt often played) heck my Barbarian in everquest 2 is an assassin :D.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    and cheers to the first half-orc paladin!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    the Dwarves are probably the second most diverse race to humans in the D&D universe. anyone who says a dwarf cant be a mage, or rogue, anything other than a raging drunk with a 2handed axe...truly doesn't appreciate the broad spectrum that Dwarves have to offer. they are a race of vast intelligence where they govern huge underground cities of flabbergasting magnitude that "Dwarf" that of a typical elf city.
    Indeed, that was one of the cool things The Realms brought that other Campaigns and Base D&D back in the day restricted. In the Realms, any race could be of any class and alignment and this even extended to all sentient life. It would not be unheard of to find a good Black Dragon or an Evil Gold Dragon, because in the Realms.. almost anything was possible and is possible still to this day.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dwarves are probably the second most diverse race to humans in the D&D universe. anyone who says a dwarf cant be a mage, or rogue, anything other than a raging drunk with a 2handed axe...truly doesn't appreciate the broad spectrum that Dwarves have to offer.

I perfectly know that Dwarves are the third most common race in FR, after human and halflings. I have never said that dwarves need to be only 2handed drunken wielders. I just find weird, as most old school players do, dwarven rogues.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Thanks, Zebular. Anyway, i'll just leave the thread. I know from experience that this argument makes people really angry.

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Dwarves are probably the second most diverse race to humans in the D&D universe. anyone who says a dwarf cant be a mage, or rogue, anything other than a raging drunk with a 2handed axe...truly doesn't appreciate the broad spectrum that Dwarves have to offer. they are a race of vast intelligence where they govern huge underground cities of flabbergasting magnitude that "Dwarf" that of a typical elf city. They are and forever will be my favorite race, and a dwarf rogue has always been my play style (always playing that class/race combo that isnt often played) heck my Barbarian in everquest 2 is an assassin :D.

That was not the actual meaning :)
    When dwarves were first introduced they were (and still are to some extent) more bent towards divine stuff. So instead of choosing arcana, they chose divine or martial category. As a dwarf in NWN2 says (Khedgar) - "A dwarven monk?".

Even the evil dwarves who were bad, took up powers from evil gods - those who left Moradin.

However, as I said before, when something is rare, it tends to be overused in stories and ends up being "too commonly uncommon". Drizzt is a fine and most recent example of it. Emo and Good drow are norms now. Dwarves were a popular race and people liked to break the norms making dwarf arcanists. Not to say it is not possible, just that it was rarer than rest.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

Dwarves can't be wizards...in D&D to D&D 2nd ed. It was a restricted class based on race and other classes had level limits. Ahh those were the days and see my earlier posts if you hunt for it about auctioning off a dwarven wizard for the RPGA (charity) in those Living City days.

Now of course, since 3rd edition all races may be all classes. But it always wasn't that way. In this game 13 years wasn't that long ago!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    jim1771jim1771 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Personaly I would love to see a MMO made out of ravenloft.
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Made me remember the "Yo!!" wizard in Daggerdale game :p

I was going to say dwarven wizard instead of rogue, but then I remembered part 2 of NWN-OC.

You see, stories like to have characters who break norms - like good drow for example. Then slowly they become so overused that they become the norm.

So I completely am with denkasaeba with it :D

If there were restrictions on playable race/class combos, this is a perfect way to make special NPC. This is why such characters appear in stories.
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    I highly doubt that. In D&D, the only way to change your own race is either by a (was) Wish Spell or by a Reincarnation spell. That or divine intervention or some other design, determined by the DM.

Polymorph Any Object also works well if you're just Race/Gender jumping.

[ Edit ]
    Blargh, that would be up until 4e anyway, which would be replaced with DM fiat given the nature of that spell. So Cookies!
  • Options
    nordicbastardnordicbastard Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    jim1771 wrote: »
    Personaly I would love to see a MMO made out of ravenloft.

That would be amazing! Sadly, I think I have a better chance of being sucked into the mists myself than seeing a Ravenloft MMO....
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like to have one "normal" run of the mill character, and one "odd bird" character. I will have to wait until release for specifics, since we don't know all the races/classes yet. I foresee a Tiefling GWF, (would love a Tiefling Blackguard), in my future, and a Human Ranger, (would love a Human Druid), as well.

Guess we'll see.