test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Elder Scroll Online?

2»

Comments

• Options
    kadlenakadlena Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298
    edited January 2013
    Is it just me?
    .....or......
    Is it a bit odd that a game has begun accepting beta apps, but has not yet announced the payment model? I couldn't find it on any of the sites...did I miss it??

(It has been a couple of years since I've been on beta watch, so I don't know if that's the norm right now.)

Ahh, whatever, I went ahead and signed up anyway. :) Now I have two games to ~watch and wait~
  • Options
    zadenadoszadenados Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    are u not watching firefall aswell? my top 3 games are nw firefall and eso ;o
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    zadenados wrote: »
    are u not watching firefall aswell? my top 3 games are nw firefall and eso ;o

Firefall has long way to go, they have no partners, nothing.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kadlena wrote: »
    Is it just me?
    .....or......
    Is it a bit odd that a game has begun accepting beta apps, but has not yet announced the payment model? I couldn't find it on any of the sites...did I miss it??

(It has been a couple of years since I've been on beta watch, so I don't know if that's the norm right now.)

Ahh, whatever, I went ahead and signed up anyway. :) Now I have two games to ~watch and wait~

Seconded on odd. I *suspect* it was subscription, saw the Fallout (okay pun intended,) from the last few games to do this, and is reworking everything to be F2P option ready, but isn't so yet.

Again, pure speculation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    naughtylilgirlnaughtylilgirl Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    kadlena wrote: »
    Is it just me?
    .....or......

Big companies likes attention, more hype the merrier, you see.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Seconded on odd. I *suspect* it was subscription, saw the Fallout (okay pun intended,) from the last few games to do this, and is reworking everything to be F2P option ready, but isn't so yet.

Again, pure speculation.

Whats so odd? They asking for TESTERS not customers. Business model will be at a later date and business models change. Like right now more and more were are seeing F2P/B2P conversions, i.e. TERA, TSW, SWTOR.

Not announcing the payment model till closer to launch or at least have stuff to demo is standard practice and the game is a long ways off. They are, I'd wager, watching the business model market very closely right now since P2P is dying out it seems like (name a successful P2P MMO that's maintained it's P2P model besides WoW).

Whats really odd is how the game is about a year from release yet they are accepting Beta applications and say "soon" for a small group of testers and yet Cryptic which is supposedly only a few months from release has of yet given anything out besides a few alpha keys. Not beta schedule, not details, nothing but silence for the most part.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Big companies likes attention, more hype the merrier, you see.

As opposed to utter and complete dead silence like here?

I'll take attention, hype <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> companies any day over silent dead ones as I can decide for myself about a game but at least I have actual info about the game.
  • Options
    chili1179chili1179 Member Posts: 1,511 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Whats so odd? They asking for TESTERS not customers. Business model will be at a later date and business models change. Like right now more and more were are seeing F2P/B2P conversions, i.e. TERA, TSW, SWTOR.

Not announcing the payment model till closer to launch or at least have stuff to demo is standard practice and the game is a long ways off. They are, I'd wager, watching the business model market very closely right now since P2P is dying out it seems like (name a successful P2P MMO that's maintained it's P2P model besides WoW).

Whats really odd is how the game is about a year from release yet they are accepting Beta applications and say "soon" for a small group of testers and yet Cryptic which is supposedly only a few months from release has of yet given anything out besides a few alpha keys. Not beta schedule, not details, nothing but silence for the most part.

I agree, I think they are looking at the f2p from all angles to best decide how they are going to proceed. P2P is a dying breed because people like me do not want to pay to play game x when game y is just as fun but free (Which is why after 8 years I am letting my WoW sub expire next month). I expect it to go the road that GW2 did, pay once and no subscription. (The Secret World recently dropped it's sub but still requires you to buy the game).

As for subscription based games, WoW and Eve are the only subscription games that I can think of that have stood the test of time. Rift is also hanging in there I believe.
    There is a rumor floating around that I am working on a new foundry quest. It was started by me.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    Just a note on the last reply, despite me having strong emotions against it the game, Ultima Online has never left the building either and is still a subscription only MMO. Its been around since 1997 (longer if you count development and testing).

If a game is good and I can afford it, I'll pay a monthly sub. However, it won't be a continuous thing as I cannot afford to always have a game subscription running, which is why I prefer free to play games now. Such usually let me pay how much I want when I want for what I want. I like that.
  • Options
    trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    chili1179 wrote: »
    I agree, I think they are looking at the f2p from all angles to best decide how they are going to proceed. P2P is a dying breed because people like me do not want to pay to play game x when game y is just as fun but free (Which is why after 8 years I am letting my WoW sub expire next month). I expect it to go the road that GW2 did, pay once and no subscription. (The Secret World recently dropped it's sub but still requires you to buy the game).

As for subscription based games, WoW and Eve are the only subscription games that I can think of that have stood the test of time. Rift is also hanging in there I believe.

I think both exist is the future, sub based, F2P, also B2P. Blizzard's Titan is gonna be the one what ultimately choose how its in the future.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I thik they are not saying TESO release is "soon" really but it's being hyped that way by users...but I certainly can be wrong and will have to recheck (dang it will I have to actually de lurk) the posted messages on their sites to be sure.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edgecuttedgecutt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    TESO is launching later this year ( my guess is Oct-Nov) but they said beta would start in the weeks and months to come. So I'm hoping the later half of February :)
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    edgecutt wrote: »
    TESO is launching later this year ( my guess is Oct-Nov) but they said beta would start in the weeks and months to come. So I'm hoping the later half of February :)

Thats my guess too, then polish little bit and do some marketting for Christmas.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    TESO is going to be epic
  • Options
    warcwarc Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have signed up for beta, hope to get selected.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It will be an experience that's for sure. hoping for good. After all, we don't have NWO 24/7 yet :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dequixoticdequixotic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm worried about the "content locust" phenomenon especially since they are splitting the leveling zones in thirds. I'm more hyped up for NW at this point especially because I'm a huge proponent of UGC in all games and I like that they aren't splitting the playerbase and content by factions.

ESO better start thinking about it too, they have a group of dedicated modders with the TES community, so having UGC is a no-brainer.
  • Options
    dizzy000dizzy000 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited January 2013
    dequixotic wrote: »
    I'm worried about the "content locust" phenomenon especially since they are splitting the leveling zones in thirds. I'm more hyped up for NW at this point especially because I'm a huge proponent of UGC in all games and I like that they aren't splitting the playerbase and content by factions.

ESO better start thinking about it too, they have a group of dedicated modders with the TES community, so having UGC is a no-brainer.

I personally like the 3 realm/country/Faction thing. Worked very well in DAoC till ToA expansion did alot of harm to the game. If one side gets too big for their britches the other 2 can knock em down. Also, the devs said they strongly encourage playing all 3 sides as they all have different lore and stories so its not the exact same *&^ every time you roll an alt. Im an alt wh65e so this appeals to me greatly
    The Liver is Evil and must be punished!! Drink More Beer!
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I agree the 3 faction realm is a genius idea
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    It's been done. May they do it well there however.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nexus7000nexus7000 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    If it can pull of in an MMO what it does as a single player experience it will be worth a shot but can it ? :) Also with Neverwinter imminent the timing is not great right now.
  • Options
    neutralevilneutralevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 69
    edited February 2013
    I too am looking forward to TESO, i am glad that it looks like neverwinter will be out first as it is the one that makes fidgit in my seat while i watch videos anticipating the day that i can hit that DOWNLOAD button!!!
    [SIGPIC] KREETURE [/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    geddings12geddings12 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope they have a sort of founders package deal or something id pay to get in the beta of that too :-). We'll see. I signed up and wrote a nice writeup on why i shoud be a tester so hopefully ill get selected when the beta comes. We will see!
  • Options
    ganiriesganiries Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I filled out the beta application as well. I just hope the person that reads them has a sense of humor. I do hope that the releases of TESO and NWO are somewhat staggered. Like others, I'd love to invest some time in both.
    Ornament-3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    nexus7000 wrote: »
    If it can pull of in an MMO what it does as a single player experience it will be worth a shot but can it ? :) Also with Neverwinter imminent the timing is not great right now.

Basically the main story is 100% and worth to see alon. (every npc is fully voiced too..) Molag Bal stole your soul, thats the main ploy. Also because of megaserver you can play it alone or with your friends only. Thats what I personally love about megaserver, if you want to play with your guild exclusively its possible.
  • Options
    arundooarundoo Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will try TESO aswell, next to Neverwinter ofcourse.
    Neverwinter Roleplay community: http://www.NW-RP.com
  • Options
    yoazismynyoazismyn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    It will be epic!
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It will be Legend....waitforit......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    ...dary! /10char
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]