test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What will you be? Evil, good, or in between?

theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Personally, I like playing bad guys. I often find that an evil character with a good story behind them can be far more interesting than your standard "I fight for what is right and defending cute puppies" kind of character. Don't get me wrong, I like heroes, but sometimes I get bored with the "well you have to kill undead, they are undead and therefore must be purged" and jump to the Dark Helmet standpoint of "Good is dumb" and start rubbing my hands together while cackling like a mad man. In character of course.

Usually. I'm not crazy!

I think back to some of the most fun characters I have played in other games or in PnP, some were evil, some were not quite that far but not good people. I had an alien in City of Heroes who was of a clone breed bent on universal domination. In SWTOR my favorite character was an assassin who was pretty much insane, but with a really detailed tragic story that got her to that point, mostly due to her Sith master, another one of my characters who had a thirst for chaos inspired by the Joker. In D&D I am playing a rogue who, while not necessarily evil, is certainly there for his own gains, is not above stealing from his allies, and may have accidentally killed half the population of a town by selling them a potion made up of strange goo he found in a dungeon.

Not all of my characters are evil, a very small percent of them are, but they always turn out to be the most fun...

So what do you guys think? How do you prefer to play?
Post edited by theincarnadine42 on

Comments

• devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Well in video games I would like to be an in between neutral char but that is not an option. Games practically force you to play the goody lil two shoe hero. Would love to have some variety in gameplay style. Definately some evil characters would be great and refreshing. For instance Dalelands and Beyond NWN2 PW did a great job of allowing evil char to play with a strong presence of the Zents or how the BG NWN2 PW had the Underdark and enforced true RPing of Drow.

Just tired of the whole alignment not reflecting at all in a game.
  • quorforgedquorforged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    "Good" isn't boring. Alignment is boring. Trying to stuff morality into well-defined boxes, and trying to classify all decision-making according to those boxes is just poison to interesting characters and stories.

Alignment started out really as more of a faction system, with two sides labeled "Law" and "Chaos", not a morality classification system. Putting "Good" and "Evil" into it ruined it and turned it into the ridiculous monstrosity that is the "classic" 3x3 system. 4E got rid of some of the more pointless alignments, and got rid of almost all of the mechanical implications, but I wish it had gotten rid of it entirely.

In PnP roleplaying, my characters are whatever they are. Sometimes they do "good" things, sometimes "bad" things, depending on the perspective who's doing the judging.

In a video game like this, though, I don't really give any thought to my character's morality or lack thereof; that's not what I'm here for.
  • morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I've always had this opinion and even found it in book form from the Sword of Truth series. Evil maybe classified as such, but from their point of view they don't see themselves as evil when they have strong convictions and motivations. A lawful good character might switch somebody across the knuckles for a minor infraction; whereas, a lawful evil character might just cut off the individuals finger. From the evil character's standpoint, a swift cut and a permanent reminder might be more effective then a lingering punishment which fades away over time.
  • meldrothmeldroth Member Posts: 137 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    My half-elf Roth Meldroth will be a rogue, but really, he's just using skills he learned from a corrupt bringing up. Now, he's ruthless and hard, but considers himself an avenging angel rather than a monster. He's "good," yet he worries about the path of destruction he leaves in his wake. He's lawful-evil turned chaotic-good, and seeks to use his underworld skills to destroy the underworld, while at the same time he finds himself drifting ever closer to the fine line that separates chaotic-good from lawful-evil.

In the end, he's a killer, and whatever "alignment" he chooses, that's what he'll always be. And deep down, he hates that.
    "Truth is absolute, so if you truly seek it, you can find only one answer."
  • denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'll be LG or Good, if alignment axis follows 4e rules (but i sincerely hope it WON'T)
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Chaotic Evil. Be afraid, be very afraid !
  • neoyoshineoyoshi Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Lawful Good or Natural Good are the alignments i always stuck to the most. But i wouldn't mind taking the opportunity to experience the Evil Alignments.
  • theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ust tired of the whole alignment not reflecting at all in a game.

That is the beauty of the Foundry system, we can make whole stories designed for the bad guys to fill any gaps the regular game may have *evil grin*
  • ahrimavizxahrimavizx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm generally chaotic neutral.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    My heart is but a lake which reflects the Moon at night.

I will go with whatever alignment Selune has. Good thing that now I can try monk class and still worship Selune. I always had problems with monk class for they were not reflecting my goddess.
  • sakuda13sakuda13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Monk is in the game?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ill be anything you want me to be, if the price is right ;)

bearded_cosplay02.jpg
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
    edited January 2013
    sakuda13 wrote: »
    Monk is in the game?

Not confirmed, not denied - just like any other class. Plus more classes than these four would be at launch.

Once can hope for it, especially if one is monk of Selune for she is the light in darkness, the Lady of hope (ok, not her name but her folio at least).
    edited January 2013
    bluesteel8 wrote: »
    Ill be anything you want me to be, if the price is right ;)

bearded_cosplay02.jpg

A dwarven female in wedding dress? Cool!
  • bluesteel8bluesteel8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Haha oh Gillrmn you crack me up.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
    The Older Gamers (25+) - Never too old to play games
  • blizzidblizzid Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 170 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    i prefer to be chaotic neutral so i can do whatever i want, oh wait or is that chaotic evil like in the gamers dorkness rising :mad:
  • chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    As a completionist, I don't care much for alignments. If you are forced to choose one, your in-game choices are going to be limited to those. With opposing alignments and objectives, your character will ALWAYS be excluded from SOME content. That's why I dislike any morality systems. Of course, you can always just play the game as if you're NOT in rp.

Like if you were playing a Lawful Neutral Paladin, and you found a (wrongfully) convicted criminal in a dungeon, what can you do? He wants to tell you what really happened to him, but justice has already been decided and you're blocked from a potential quest. To get all the content and quests done the first time around in an RPG (which is what I always shoot for), I have to change my alignment on the fly depending on the situation.
  • rahverahve Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 35
    edited January 2013
    Bad guys only exist so good guys can kill them and get the loot.
    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll.
    I am the master of my fate:
    I am the captain of my soul.

- W.E.H.
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Did they ever confirm if they are using the old alignment system ( L/N/C + G/N/E) or the 4e one? 4e went down to just 5 iirc. Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil, Chaotic Evil.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    True Neutral.

Pretty much most people are it in real life so... why be any different in a game?
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    rickman wrote: »
    True Neutral.

Pretty much most people are it in real life so... why be any different in a game?

Because I don't want to be me in a game.

I haven't met anybody I would consider true nuetral in real life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
    edited January 2013
    No Neutral in 4e, Just Good, LG; evil, CE

This is because alignments are guidelines now and not govern how your character is compelled to act - in order to give more flexibility to DM. Unfortunately it means that a campaign has become more dependent on DM.

i.e. a bad DM like me can manage a 3e campaign but I still don't have confidence to manage 4e campaign

One more - Unaligned is there - which basically means that your character shows a finger to alignment(does not mean neutral).
  • ragnarlawlragnarlawl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    One more - Unaligned is there - which basically means that your character shows a finger to alignment(does not mean neutral).

Yeah I always pictured Unaligned as Han Solo-- or some of the Rifts' alignment system of handling the alignment shades o grey.

Alignment in a MMO though just seems to come down to what gear you can/cant wear. It did in DDO at least. I hope they make some more use of alignment in the campaigns. At least make Divine classes have the alignment of their deities.
    [TMG] Ragnaruss www.topmarksgaming.org
  • muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Neutral Evil. Just like I am in real life; unless Kittens or Puppies are involved, then I morph into a Chaotic Good spazz. J/K

Edit: Actually, I'll probably be Chaotic Neutral with Good Tendencies. Going to basically run around exploring every nook and cranny in game, and letting the Wind carry me wherever it will.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    truthseeker the PC is more true neutral than most characters ever can be. Blance is key to him, whether he fully iunderstands it or not.

Other characters alignment's will vary.

And the MMO will not be using alignments, or do we get factions to side with, officially speaking.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • runamonkrunamonk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Evil Drow all the way. (=
  • daosagedaosage Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 62
    edited January 2013
    I plan on being morally ambiguous.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Chaotic Good always been my all time favorite or Neutral Evil. Chaotic Good is what Im IRL too...