Install Arc
Options

No Deity Option

13»

Comments

• Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Need either Alignment or Deities. Seems 4E has shifted from one to the other. Where before you had a (Lawful, True, Chaotic) Evil Necromancer, now you have one that is shunned by certain Deities for giving others a second chance in battle (summoning undead) and sending their zealots to try to kill him/her.
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The cleric first appeared in the first 1974 edition of DnD and it specifically said that they gained there powers from a divine source. The Divine source or sources was left up to the dm which always involved gods and goddesses in my experience.

The cleric was based on a crusading priests during the crusades. Catholic dictum required that they use blunt weapons such as maces and hammers which do not draw blood.

According to the second edition Player's Handbook, the cleric class is similar to certain religious orders of knighthood of the Middle Ages such as the Teutonic Knights, the Knights Templars, and Hospitalers, which combined military and religious training with a code of protection and service.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2013
    In 4th edition, Clerics no longer are granted their access to Divine Power from the Deity.
    As a cleric, your deity does not directly grant you powers. Instead, your ordination or investiture as a cleric grants you the ability to wield divine powers. Clerics are usually formally ordained by existing clerics who perform a special ritual to do so, but on rare occasions a deity moves to directly ordain a worthy worshiper with out any sort of priestly hierarchy involved. What you do with your powers once you are ordained is up to you, although if you flagrantly and openly defy your deity’s tenets, you quickly earn the enmity of the faithful.
  • Options
    argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mask is Dead back in 2007 in Edition 3.5, so there was no chance ever of him being in 4E.

Mask is still active in Paul Kemp's Godborn book, which sets helps set up the 5th edition setting, so arguably a priest/thief of mask would be possible :p

I don't think we'll see any sort of devotional role for our characters, but I'm sure we'll see quests (official and foundry made) that we'll have us working for devotees of various deities.

Religion was one of the many little flavor pieces that EQ offered. Influenced how some npcs related to you, which was immersive.
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    In 4th edition, Clerics no longer are granted their access to Divine Power from the Deity.

4th edition sucks:p
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    argoylet wrote: »
    Religion was one of the many little flavor pieces that EQ offered. Influenced how some npcs related to you, which was immersive.

Yup, you had Religion, Alignment, Race, and Faction influence in the game which caused all sorts of interesting situations. I still wish a game would bring back all those elements combined in that fashion and not move away from it later on like EQ did.
  • Options
    argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    morbic wrote: »
    Yup, you had Religion, Alignment, Race, and Faction influence in the game which caused all sorts of interesting situations. I still wish a game would bring back all those elements combined in that fashion and not move away from it later on like EQ did.

If I recall correctly, you could also bribe the guards with stuff like alcohol. A very rich game. UO and EQ were both more "worlds" than any mmorpg since (except perhaps SWG, didn't play).
  • Options
    theincarnadine42theincarnadine42 Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Definately not a Forgotten Realms expect, so will be speaking on general D&D and my own experiences.

I think 3.5 had some interesting mechanics with clerics (memory on this is a bit fuzzy since I have been doing 4e for years now), where depending on your god (or domain?) it could do some slight modifications to your characters, like if you worship this person you can wield longswords, even though most clerics cannot. I think this is pretty cool, it gives a bit of flavor and helps with backstory, in those temples they train with longswords. I seem to remember something like this coming back in D&D Next, I need to look at that stuff again, but that sort of mechanic I find to be pretty cool.

Personally, my campaigns are home campaigns, not set in existing worlds (though currently I am doing one where we are world hopping all over the place, I'm sure FR will come up soon). I am all about the characters and their stories, I usually worship a god I created if I am a religious type, and I have a friend who's characters all worship himself (the player). I am in a campaign where one of the other players worships my character, thinking that he is a god who took mortal form and forgot and the sacred rule of the church is that my character can never be told of this.

This stuff is gold, it is so much fun, and honestly I am perfectly fine with not having a drop down menu where I HAVE to choose something, because it opens up so many more options.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    Yeah and your quote explained it. It is the Church i.e other priests with a ritual or rarely the Deity directly that grants divine power. When they do it they certainly ask and make the candidate to swear faith to the deity.

Well I don't know if an Atheist Cleric could bluff their belief in the Deity during ritual. That said if a priest would say to me ... help me in this holy quest then I would answer what is your deity? If the answer would be two or more deity that is still acceptable because some people actually worship more then one God in Forgotten Realms.

However if the priest would say I follow no deity but for the good... at that point I would interrupt the Priest and say... go away you are no priest. You should burn in hell if you do not gain faith, but that is not for me to judge, but your quest means nothing to me. I do respect other religions but I will not cooperate with atheism from Priest or Paladins in a Dungeons Dragons game.... oh and sigh with great effort I don't talk how I feel about real world.
    Very nice "Holy" music... they sing in Latin but everybody should know what Messiah means:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs
    I play a Warpriest in GURPS fantasy pen and paper roleplaying. Without mercy I slay Evil creatures and faithless. People with other religion I might cooperate and respect, but faithless people mean very little to me.
  • Options
    ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Yeah and your quote explained it. It is the Church i.e other priests with a ritual or rarely the Deity directly that grants divine power. When they do it they certainly ask and make the candidate to swear faith to the deity.

Well I don't know if an Atheist Cleric could bluff their belief in the Deity during ritual. That said if a priest would say to me ... help me in this holy quest then I would answer what is your deity? If the answer would be two or more deity that is still acceptable because some people actually worship more then one God in Forgotten Realms.

However if the priest would say I follow no deity but for the good... at that point I would interrupt the Priest and say... go away you are no priest. You should burn in hell if you do not gain faith, but that is not for me to judge, but your quest means nothing to me. I do respect other religions but I will not cooperate with atheism from Priest or Paladins in a Dungeons Dragons game.... oh and sigh with great effort I don't talk how I feel about real world.
    Very nice "Holy" music... they sing in Latin but everybody should know what Messiah means:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WnjVUBDbs
    I play a Warpriest in GURPS fantasy pen and paper roleplaying. Without mercy I slay Evil creatures and faithless. People with other religion I might cooperate and respect, but faithless people mean very little to me.

Who will you worship in NWO? Or if you play pnp, who's your preferred deity?
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Who will you worship in NWO? Or if you play pnp, who's your preferred deity?
    That has a lot to do with what kind of character I want to create. For example a Warpriest then Tempus God of Battle
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tempus
    would be a good choice. I also like to play Chaotic Good characters.

As for deities pick whatever you like. I am not GURU on which deities are alive in 4th edition but if you are a mage then Mystra would be a good deity. I will have many characters and likely pick a deity I like.

If the game would allow that you could be affected by lycantrophy then if you want to play Evil:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Malar
    or if you want to play good lycantrophe then Selune:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sel%C3%BBne

So means pick a deity that you like. In real life I am Christian but this is not about real life. In DD games I simply pick up a deity that I like. One of my characters will be a Priest... and I like Tempus...

I have not played 4th edition. However in DD 3.5 each deity granted different powers. For example Pelor priest made good undead hunter in DD 3.5. As I have understood no domain powers really in DD4th edition so it will be mainly what I like.

UPDATE FORGOTTEN REALMS DEITIES LIST:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities
    Some of them are dead like Bane. So read the description.

The Pelor god I mentioned does not exist in Forgotten Realms. However Lathander Lathander: God of spring, dawn, birth, youth, vitality, athletics. Neutral Good. Lathander reminds me very much of Pelor and sounds good to me.'

As for a Druids neihter Malar or Selune is perfect... rather Silvanus, but sure there are exceptions there is no rule to pick a certain Deity. Mystra(Midnight) deity is also good for Rogue characters I think. After all she is besides magic also goddees of Mystery.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ... on which deities are alive in 4th edition but if you are ...

Check my signature - All the deities belongs to us.

|deities|Temples

Also contains missing deities and temples list in the end...

*sees his thread*
    gotta update using the last post ...
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'd love to worship Asmodeus if I summoned demons or Sseth if I summoned undead. Then I could be chased around by over half the other worshipers out there. Maybe sneak into a temple of Kelemvor.....
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    removed my unnecessary comment.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Checking list... nice list gillrmn. As always you show that you are a GURU:).
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?23281-Deities-of-New-Neverwinter-Detailed&p=354801#post354801
    WHERE is Midnight the NEW Mystra:rolleyes:? I can not find her and she is perfect for arcane spell users.

I found the answer. Second Mystra the Midnight was murdered by Cyric.

Midnight was not long the goddess of magic and in 1385 DR, in the Year of Blue Fire, Cyric supposedly murdered her, at the behest and with the aid of Shar, who sought to obtain control over the Weave.

I hate Cyric for sure. I would rather even worship Bane then Cyric.

Well these Gods I like and I am familiar with all of them from Forgotten Realms Fantasy books:
    Tempus: God of War and Battle. Chaotic Neutral.
    Tymora: Goddess of luck... good something
    Selune: Goddess of Moon and none evil Lychantrophes
    Corellon: God of Elves... if I play an elf character.
    Oghma (also called Curna):[17] God of knowledge, invention, inspiration, bards. True Neutral. Since Mystra reincarnated as Midnight was killed by Cyric there is no other God for Arcane magic users that I am familiar with from Forgotten Realms books. Oghma is god of knowledge and best suitable for Wizards and Bards. Oghma is ok though Mystra was my favorite.

These gods I respect but don't want to play likely:
    Bane... yeah pretty cool but only if I want to play very evil character
    Malar only if I am affected by Evil lychantrophy and really want to play as evil lycantrophe.. for good or neutral Lychanthropes then Selune.
    Kelemvor... Neutral lawful God... such a boring lawful god..

Torm... uhm Lawful Good... only if I play Paladin...

What Gods do I hate?
    Cyric who murdered Mystra!
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mask is still active in Paul Kemp's Godborn book, which sets helps set up the 5th edition setting, so arguably a priest/thief of mask would be possible :p

I don't think we'll see any sort of devotional role for our characters, but I'm sure we'll see quests (official and foundry made) that we'll have us working for devotees of various deities.

Oh sweet! Here's to D&D NEXT Mask followers again!

As for this game, pretty much so far what you listed.
    morbic wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, you could also bribe the guards with stuff like alcohol. A very rich game. UO and EQ were both more "worlds" than any mmorpg since (except perhaps SWG, didn't play).

And I do miss those EQ good old day options....
    Definately not a Forgotten Realms expect, so will be speaking on general D&D and my own experiences.

I think 3.5 had some interesting mechanics with clerics (memory on this is a bit fuzzy since I have been doing 4e for years now), where depending on your god (or domain?) it could do some slight modifications to your characters, like if you worship this person you can wield longswords, even though most clerics cannot. I think this is pretty cool, it gives a bit of flavor and helps with backstory, in those temples they train with longswords. I seem to remember something like this coming back in D&D Next, I need to look at that stuff again, but that sort of mechanic I find to be pretty cool.

Personally, my campaigns are home campaigns, not set in existing worlds (though currently I am doing one where we are world hopping all over the place, I'm sure FR will come up soon). I am all about the characters and their stories, I usually worship a god I created if I am a religious type, and I have a friend who's characters all worship himself (the player). I am in a campaign where one of the other players worships my character, thinking that he is a god who took mortal form and forgot and the sacred rule of the church is that my character can never be told of this.

This stuff is gold, it is so much fun, and honestly I am perfectly fine with not having a drop down menu where I HAVE to choose something, because it opens up so many more options.

Yeah, from the 2nd ed the spheres of access were supposed to limit the cleric's powers yet give them unique access based on specialty roles for example, certain weapon access as a possibility, or greater turning and turning other beings besides undead was another. Keeping the generic cleric class also did NOT limit this "reduction of power" though and eventually, it was adapted in the FR Faiths and Pantheons as specialty priests outright.
    That has a lot to do with what kind of character I want to create. For example a Warpriest then Tempus God of Battle
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Tempus
    would be a good choice. I also like to play Chaotic Good characters.

As for deities pick whatever you like. I am not GURU on which deities are alive in 4th edition but if you are a mage then Mystra would be a good deity. I will have many characters and likely pick a deity I like.

If the game would allow that you could be affected by lycantrophy then if you want to play Evil:
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Malar
    or if you want to play good lycantrophe then Selune:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sel%C3%BBne

So means pick a deity that you like. In real life I am Christian but this is not about real life. In DD games I simply pick up a deity that I like. One of my characters will be a Priest... and I like Tempus...

I have not played 4th edition. However in DD 3.5 each deity granted different powers. For example Pelor priest made good undead hunter in DD 3.5. As I have understood no domain powers really in DD4th edition so it will be mainly what I like.

UPDATE FORGOTTEN REALMS DEITIES LIST:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Forgotten_Realms_deities
    Some of them are dead like Bane. So read the description.

The Pelor god I mentioned does not exist in Forgotten Realms. However Lathander Lathander: God of spring, dawn, birth, youth, vitality, athletics. Neutral Good. Lathander reminds me very much of Pelor and sounds good to me.'

As for a Druids neihter Malar or Selune is perfect... rather Silvanus, but sure there are exceptions there is no rule to pick a certain Deity. Mystra(Midnight) deity is also good for Rogue characters I think. After all she is besides magic also goddees of Mystery.

Nicely listed. For the record domain access for 4E clerics was introduced in the Warpriest Essentials build and what you got depended on the deity you followed....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mok33mok33 Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Mystra still exists in 4e according to Ed Greenwood's book Elminster Enraged. She's in the process of a "renewal" and is now a combination of Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    mok33 wrote: »
    Mystra still exists in 4e according to Ed Greenwood's book Elminster Enraged. She's in the process of a "renewal" and is now a combination of Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight.
    This was posted in other forums, and is too esoteric for me to remember where I did, but while Mystra is existing in 4E NOVELS she is not in 4E GAME CANNON returned, but will almost guaranteed be so in D&D NEXT cannon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    This was posted in other forums, and is too esoteric for me to remember where I did, but while Mystra is existing in 4E NOVELS she is not in 4E GAME CANNON returned, but will almost guaranteed be so in D&D NEXT cannon.

Her ashes are there, and they can always introduce other NPCs like Simbul and Elmnister.

Infact, Simbul has her own Paragon Path in 4e, so tying the story there for a silverfire user will be nice (What was it called again? Simbite? Simbulite?)
  • Options
    amok200amok200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi everyone,

As a fervent NWN and NWN2 player, I'm excited to be returning to Neverwinter !

Question is: During character creation, is it possible to pick "no deity", like NWN, or is there a custom option ?

Thanks
  • Options
    maho4200maho4200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 526 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I've always wondered why people feel the need for the game to have some special selection for a deity. I would prefer that remain an element associated with personal roleplay rather than something the game lets you classify yourself as.

In real life, I am a Christian. Compared to others, my faith does not give me "stat buffs". I still remain human and my base stats are the same. So what is the point to choosing a Deity in a game? A means to get some stat bonuses? How about this. What are the qualities of followers of whatever deity you want your character to also follow? If you know the answer to that question, ROLEPLAY your character as conforming to those qualities. The game does not have to hand you everything by adjusting stats through buffs and debuffs. Back in the day when I used to have time to do the PnP RPG thing, My character was what I defined him as by my choices, far more than by his stats.

RPG stands for ROLE playing game, not ROLL playing game.
    Seems to me like you don't follow your own advice.

You are role-playing within the rules of the Forgotten Realms setting, gods in the forgotten realms setting (unlike in this world) is a Fact and there are no atheists, so it makes sense to follow some kind of deity.

Again we are playing a setting there are rules, this isn't a sandbox where you make up your own stuff.
    amok200 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

As a fervent NWN and NWN2 player, I'm excited to be returning to Neverwinter !

Question is: During character creation, is it possible to pick "no deity", like NWN, or is there a custom option ?

Thanks
    No you have to pick among the 10-12 or so listed but it doesn't really matter since it's only flavor it has no influence on actual gameplay.
    Neverwinter Online Open Beta is an ongoing success
  • Options
    amok200amok200 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    maho4200 wrote: »
    No you have to pick among the 10-12 or so listed but it doesn't really matter since it's only flavor it has no influence on actual gameplay.

Thanks maho4200. I understand. It'd be nice if they would add these options though, for customization and personal preference.