Install Arc
Options

Henchmen

2»

Comments

• Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I usually think of henchmen as the disposable NPCs that do whatever I want all the time, don't talk back with limited AI functionality, either have no equipment or waste it, and have a usage timer. Companions are NPCs that have personalities, complain when I do things that don't match their alignment, whine when I send them headfirst into sure death, and make me think I want to give them a shiny new weapon or piece of armor.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I would love to see this game have a robust companion system. I agree with the poster above, I see henchmen as disposable NPCs.

What I would hope for is the ability to customize my own companions, including their backstories. They could use a system similar to GW2 by providing a bunch of questions to determine what kind of backstory the companion will generate, as well as their personality. Or the player could just hit random. And depending upon the player's relationship with the companion, specific quests could be generated.

If we are truly ambitious, allow players to create custom companions for others to select. They could have unique quests using the Foundry system.
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    In classic DnD Henchmen were non player characters who serve as permanent retainers of a player character. Each Henchman has his or her own personality and quirks. If miss treated they would leave. These non player characters were generally controlled by the dm.

In every campaign i have ever played these were the characters which took care of your estate which you carved out of the wilderness. Uchtred Filius Scott had 7 henchmen each of which had responsibilities running my estate which included a small castle, orchards, ranch and a large village with outlaying farmsteads . They became the Steward, Chamberlain, Chancellor, Constable, Chaplain, Marshal and Banner Bearer.

In AD&D there was a detailed section on construction times and cost of building whatever one would want to build. Something we as a group kept using with 2nd and 3rd editions.

There is more too DnD than dungeon crawling. Building ones own estate in the wilderness tops the list weather its a temple, castle, fortified town, Inn, Wizards Tower, Mine, Cottage, Cabin etc etc.
  • Options
    spectralhuntspectralhunt Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Classic DnD also had followers once a character reached high levels. I know fighters could eventually lead a small army with officers to assist.
  • Options
    xearrikxearrik Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    At the very least I want a pack mule of some sort. I hate having to carry around all my heavy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Hell in most games I would kill for even this little fella.

Magiks-Rat+Pack+Final.png
    Da kitties don't speak for me, deez kitties speak fur us all!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'll Keep this up till beta goes live. I'll improve it soon.
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    xearrik wrote: »
    At the very least I want a pack mule of some sort. I hate having to carry around all my heavy <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Hell in most games I would kill for even this little fella.

Magiks-Rat+Pack+Final.png
    or you could get one of these
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT2lM-y0oeOXVSrC7k9mmJTOnvpjPVREVFiQ1xSkyuLZjE4zRwEjA

He can hold your stuff in his stomach and puke it up when you need it... sure there may be a little bile but who cares.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ill be fine as long as none of the pets or animal companions look like this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-qfTBIRoqiB43sgGMcrFz-rSY4y5qKeI6mP2Yl_DP9e9TUrXy
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ^^^^ That's the Necro pet.
  • Options
    morbicmorbic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Yeah, that does look a little bit like good ol' fluffy.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I want Henchmen and companions to be something other than pack mules, the entire encumbrance thing can not be practical or realistic to begin with; to actually loot one of these dungeons it would take an army workers and or a hell of a lot of trips in and out, if you're going to suspend your disbelief to say I can do that with one henchman/pack animal you might as well go one step further and have it not matter in the first place. If you want more inventory storage buy it at the C store.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I want Henchmen and companions to be something other than pack mules, the entire encumbrance thing can not be practical or realistic to begin with; to actually loot one of these dungeons it would take an army workers and or a hell of a lot of trips in and out, if you're going to suspend your disbelief to say I can do that with one henchman/pack animal you might as well go one step further and have it not matter in the first place. If you want more inventory storage buy it at the C store.

We always used the encumbrance rules and never seemed much of a problem of course our campaigns were never monty hallish either.