test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Henchmen

ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
Henchmen have been an integral part of every single player Dungeons and Dragons game I ever played. They were fully fleshed out characters, with captivating and witty dialogue, their own agendas and quests. It was hard to decide between which ones I wanted, not because of their powers, but because of who's company I preferred.

That being said, I despise Henchmen in just about every MMO I've ever played. They're bland, nondescript, and disconnected, and out of place. They're just placeholders for what SHOULD be a real person in a group.

So I'm wondering what Henchment will be like in this game. Just a tool to use so you don't have to group? Or will they have personality? Will they level up with us? Will we be able to equip them with custom gear? Choose their powers? Will we be able to control their every move, or will they just have a few settings?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Ok. Somebody suggested this idea to me{not thought by me so am not taking any credit} - (doesn't wants to come out with it, it seems so I type instead) - What do you think of making one of your own character your henchman?

How much will you pay for it?

EDIT:
    i.e. Make an alt as a henchman for another alt.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    One of the reps at Gencon simply said that they put a lot of thought into Henchmen and they weren't simply going to be pets or lifeless entities.

Whatever that means.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    That's a pretty neat idea, but at the same time it's like being able to powerlevel yourself. Not sure I'd support it.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    What I think is, it will be great roleplaying idea. Am not sure if many of you remember this old forum thread which was the most viewed thread of earliest times (b4 merge).

I quote: link
    This character bio made a few romantics mad :)
    After losing both her parents to a devastating plague as a child, Mai drew close to her older brother as the two struggled to find a way to survive. Life was harsh, and it became an unbearable nightmare when she awoke one day to find her own brother had betrayed her, selling her into slavery while she slept.

As she grew, she patiently waited for the opportunity to free herself. When it came, she wasted no time in making her escape, only to find herself alone and helpless, on the run from her would-be captors. The day they caught up to her, her heart sunk. She was trapped between continued slavery and what was certain to be a ghastly punishment, or the freedom and peace of the certain death that lie just beneath the surface of the raging river at her back.

Before she could hurl herself into the torrent, a figure stepped between her and her pursuers.

She never saw it happen, it was all over so quickly...silently. But when the attacker turned and looked at her, her fear abated with the kindness she saw in the eyes of the monk standing before her. Though she never saw him again, she never forgot his name...

Fargo...

From that day forward, she vowed she would never again be helpless fodder for evil, She would become like her savior...she would become justice...she would avenge the weak and helpless. And she promised herself that the first to feel the sting of her vengeance would be her own brother. Then...perhaps then her heart could find some peace. Perhaps then she could find the one who had saved her so long ago and, somehow...someday...repay his kindness.

*** Explanation ***

It's a bit embarassing to post such a corny bio, but the results are a little funny. I kinda threw that back story together when I made the character. She and the Monk character referenced in it were on the same account. As a result they could NEVER meet in-game. :eek: A few of the more romantic players on the server at the time got a little mad at me because these two would never be able to meet in-game. :o Somehow...pointing out that this was an action server and not an RP server did not satisfy their wish to see these two have a romantic resolution to their shared history. :confused:

Now I am going to go hide for a few weeks until this post is forgotten...or at least so buried that I can deny ever writing it with some degree of believability. >.>

I think for RP purposes, it is a nice idea. till good if they block levelling or something from the alt during times when he/she is henchman.

EDIT:
    Mandatory disclaimer
    Also, again that thread was not by me, nor this idea. They were by other people.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The partners (i.e. Templar, Rogue and Enchantress) in D3 are one of the highlights in that game, imo. Something similar in Neverwinter would be welcomed by me, though with more control.
  • Options
    lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    You could end up just leveling 2 classes at once and play the one you like or need for the situation. Which might be quite fun. Though setting a characteristic speech for the times that alt is henchmen would be nice.
    You could not have the alt not level or you would end up with a weak henchmen, unless the alt became the level of the main until used as the main.

Or, and I think more likely, you could meet them as you level probably via special solo quests where you group up with them for their aid then they offer to join you, possible have more than 1, also would make some prehaps difficult choices later on. Accept new henchman over that one you leveled with?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • Options
    galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I love the idea of making my own henchmen , i can make them fit in my character's story properly and not "some random people i met one day and never left"
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I'm interested in the henchman vs companion details myself!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shredstallion33shredstallion33 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    What fun is there in creating your own henchman, like in real life u cant create your own coworkers wouldn't it be more interesting to think u have a solid friendship with somebody only to find out that they are backstabbing turds, or vise vera.
  • Options
    mnaticmnatic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 233 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    ok thats sunds aweosme, although i imagine it would be quite OP.
    Great idea none the less.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mewbreymewbrey Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 517 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    In guildwars 1 you could use your own chars that were max level as henchmen, it worked fairly well.
    ~*~ Foundry missions: Stronghold Branax : Goblin menace : Forwyn crypts ~*~
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I hate and loathe henchmen in MMOs, I play MMOs for the MULTI-PLAYER aspect not for a single RPG experience.

I like how originally DDO was a very group focused game. Then came the solo difficulty so one can experience an quest, then can the god awful henchmen with the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> AI. While it does come in handy at times to fill that healer slot since no one likes playing a healer or how those that can heal tend to forget that they need to play their class and you know... actually heal someone. Mostly I despise the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> AIs, that has always been an issue for me.

Henchmen or companions serve no purpose in MMOs imo as they detract from the multiplayer and people become more isolated. Case n point, SWTOR.

In PnP you had one char that you controlled and the rest were other players and the DM. You were not in control of a whole party. That belongs in games like BG or DA and not in MMOs like NW.
  • Options
    devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    mewbrey wrote: »
    In guildwars 1 you could use your own chars that were max level as henchmen, it worked fairly well.

Yes except that henchmen was so counterintuitive and were used in completely the wrong manner that ANet decided to not do henchmen in GW2. Henchmen were causing players to become solo on everything which was not their intention.
  • Options
    aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I see henchmen in MMO's differently. To me a MMO is just a multiplayer computer game like any other, but I share the virtual space with a multitude of other people from around the globe. And being able to use henchmen is a great tool. I play with a small band, myself and two others, I rarely solo, and we meet a couple times a week to play. As a group, we prefer to not bring in others to join us. So being able to take in a henchman that fits the needs of this quest or that, is ideal. And so, why shouldn't I be able to play the MMO, if it has all the fun atmosphere I enjoy (we enjoy), just because some other person feels I need to group with more people? We're a tight group and we play very well together as a unit. Opening up to random visitors breaks that unity and cohesiveness among our core group and throws our game off, thus often taking away from the fun for us.
    I really hope they have henchmen and companions/pets, and I hope they have some personality.
    Besides, why should a MMO tell players they are not welcome if you don't want to group with people you don't know? Why should they leave out the solo'ist? That makes no sense to me. If you want to group, then group. But if somebody prefers not to group, then well, let them play too, who are they hurting? I for one prefer not to "Solo", but I still see a huge benefit to henchmen! I mean the same can be said for roleplayers. Don't leave them out just because they prefer to play the game differently than some others do. Nobody is forcing anybody to play with any other person.
    My 2 cents.
  • Options
    galvayragalvayra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    What fun is there in creating your own henchman, like in real life u cant create your own coworkers wouldn't it be more interesting to think u have a solid friendship with somebody only to find out that they are backstabbing turds, or vise vera.

Well i might have confused henchmen with companion
    "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
  • Options
    edited January 2013

Hell I only wish I could create my own co workers :p
  • Options
    crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I hate and loathe henchmen in MMOs, I play MMOs for the MULTI-PLAYER aspect not for a single RPG experience.

I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. MMOs do not mean forcing all players to group, they are merely a world full of other players, adding the opportunity to both group and go solo in a world populated by real people. Companions do not make grouping less attractive, they make solo combat more interesting. A good group will never be a replacement for an AI companion, especially if the AI is as primitive as the bridge officers in STO.

IMO companions add another layer of character development to the game which is always a welcomed addition in my book.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I play MMOs for the MULTI-PLAYER aspect not for a single RPG experience.
    Henchmen or companions serve no purpose in MMOs imo as they detract from the multiplayer and people become more isolated. Case n point, SWTOR.
    . Companions do not make grouping less attractive, they make solo combat more interesting. A good group will never be a replacement for an AI companion, especially if the AI is as primitive as the bridge officers in STO.

IMO companions add another layer of character development to the game which is always a welcomed addition in my book.

I think in henchmen do detract from group play, but I also see their appeal. I think that they offer an opportunity to add another element to the game, but that's an opportunity a lot of developers miss out on. If you are going to have them - have them detracting from group play - you might as well have them adding another layer of gameplay. We can see what they add to games looking at single player DnD titles of the past, like BG1 and 2, and the NwN series that this game is the spiritual successor to. In other titles, we can see how they've done nothing but detract from group play - I don't think anyone who ever played DDO talked about how much they enjoyed the witty dialogue of their hirelings.

I think it's a moot point to argue whether or not henchmen are healthy for the game, or whether they should be there or not - because it's obvious they ARE going to be there - but there are certainly things that can make them much more interesting to be around.

For instance, in BG2, I would often make multiplayer games so that I could create custom characters to fill my party slots. But I never made too many, because the crafted dialogue responses from the existing characters were so damn fun most the time.

I hope the henchmen in Neverwinter Online are just as interesting to be around as those from the games which have led us to this point. If they're going to have henchmen - and they are going to - I'd like to see them done right. It's going to take more than a functional AI, gear and statistics to make Henchmen appealing to me.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    If they could take the way that SWTOR does companions (IE with grouping up and the henchmen being replaced and such) mixed in with some great dialog and interaction with other NPCs and other henchmen (IE NWN and Mass Effect) then they would work out.

My main reason for not having henchmen in an MMO is not the general "it detracts from grouping up with other players" but more along the lines of "Another character to gear out and I dont eveen get to play as that one". Having the extra DPS or Heals in solo play will help out but when things are dropping for my companion or are "companion only" then it is taking loot away from me or my friends.

TLDR:
    Im greedy give me mah lewts!!
  • Options
    crashodditycrashoddity Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    ranncore wrote: »
    In other titles, we can see how they've done nothing but detract from group play - I don't think anyone who ever played DDO talked about how much they enjoyed the witty dialogue of their hirelings.

I'm not sure what your point is here, as this sentence contradicts itself. How does the companions in DDO being bad/annoying lead to people preferring them over groups? I would think it would do just the opposite.

The only case I could see companions stopping me from joining a group is if they allowed me to get through content I wouldn't be able to get through without a group. Even then, I have to choose between taking a dumb AI companion or try to get a PuG together, which could have mixed results. I'm going to choose whatever is more fun with less hassle. I almost always prefer to group with friends, but sometimes they're not online when I need a group, so companions offer an alternative to just logging off and giving up.

So I guess I answered my own question there. Companions might detract from group play some of the time, but they only seem to detract from the not-fun parts of group play. I see it as a positive addition overall.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Companions might detract from group play some of the time, but they only seem to detract from the not-fun parts of group play. I see it as a positive addition overall.

And that's where I'm agreeing with you, but what I'm saying is that companions should be more than a placeholder for a real person. They're much more interesting when they have their own personalities and sidequests, and gear that I can customize. I think SWTOR and GW1 took it a little too far.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I like options and as long as the game realistically doesn't put me in a position so I'm forced to always/never have hirelings, I'm okay with it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I'm not sure what your point is here, as this sentence contradicts itself. How does the companions in DDO being bad/annoying lead to people preferring them over groups? I would think it would do just the opposite.

DDO is a complex game... almost like a human being. Very hard to understand with common logic.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I found an old post by Mapolis (bless his heart) that answers a lot of the questions here, so I'll just do some copy pasting.

"Henchmen are essentially AI companions that will fight alongside you. There will be a nice variety of henchmen and pets at launch that have a wide range of abilities. Some will heal you, some will tank for you, some will do some heavy damage, others are just quirky and interesting. Your henchmen will also level with you, and you can augment their abilities with enchantments and gear as well as change their appearance.

You can use them pretty much everywhere except for team instances. I'm not sure if they will be used in PvP or not, but I know they were testing companions in PvP before the holiday break (they do their wrap-up meetings right outside my office, it's cool)

They're mostly useful for soloing. I loved having my fighter do some tanking for me while I was leveling my Control Wizard."
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I would like to see the game roll around having real interaction without the need for henchmen. maybe a squire, and lots of swooning women, but not henchmen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ariusdecimusariusdecimus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013

What he's saying isn't contradictory IMO.
    In other titles, we can see how they've done nothing but detract from group play

Here he's referencing how in other MMO's, companions have somehow detracted from group play. I believe he's implying that companions are effective enough in combat situations to fill the roll that a fellow player might otherwise be required for.
    I don't think anyone who ever played DDO talked about how much they enjoyed the witty dialogue of their hirelings.

Here he's talking about how companions in other MMO games did not have good dialogue. Unless I'm wrong in what he's implying, there's no contradiction.

As to the topic at hand, I find companions overall to be a very, very welcome addition to any game. I prefer companions you don't create if they have unique personalities and dialogue (Baldur's Gate 1/2, Dragon age 1/2, Mass effect 1/2/3) over companions you have to design yourself (Icewind Dale 1/2, Star Trek Online). However, if the developer can't put enough time in to add a good amount of dialogue, then I'd rather just go with create your own party.

The nice thing about companions that the developers create is that it gives you way more options in the future. Diablo 3 is a good example. Your party (the Blacksmith/Jeweler, and then the Enchantress/Templar/Rogue) have some very interesting tales. They did it just right in Diablo 3, they left your companion's stories unfinished and now I'm excited to see if they'll revisit that in a future expansion. In fact, that's pretty much what I'm most interested in for an expansion in that game. I got pretty attached to those guys during the 4 playthroughs of Diablo 3 I did solo, and having them there not only made me enjoy the game way more, it made me far more interested in future content.

But, either way, companions are very important to me personally. I enjoy MMO's because when and only when I'm in the mood I can group up with others. I understand that we need to make it required to group up for things like raids, but other than that I feel it's better overall if we allow people to choose their own playstyle. Sometimes I want to go play with others, sometimes I'd rather just go solo so I don't have to deal with other people.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    I like options and as long as the game realistically doesn't put me in a position so I'm forced to always/never have hirelings, I'm okay with it.

Bingo!

On both sides of the fence forced anything sucks (forced grouping forced henchmen) and today's player will just walk away...I'm pretty sure we all remember what a huge <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> failure the whole DDO friends don't let friends adventure alone campaign was, and honestly the folks who are screaming for forced grouping today are the vast minority. I love playing with my friends and meeting new people, but only because I choose to, force me to and I'll give the game the finger and go elsewhere.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Without henchmen, who will carry the 10' pole? Caltrops? Metal Spikes? Who will always open chests when a rouge can't be found, or go in and see if the dragon is sleeping? We need henchmen.
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Without henchmen, who will carry the 10' pole? Caltrops? Metal Spikes? Who will always open chests when a rouge can't be found, or go in and see if the dragon is sleeping? We need henchmen.

You're cruel :) Working for you is dangerous!
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    Bingo!

On both sides of the fence forced anything sucks (forced grouping forced henchmen) and today's player will just walk away...I'm pretty sure we all remember what a huge <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> failure the whole DDO friends don't let friends adventure alone campaign was, and honestly the folks who are screaming for forced grouping today are the vast minority. I love playing with my friends and meeting new people, but only because I choose to, force me to and I'll give the game the finger and go elsewhere.
    I gave them the finger...of Vecna. Then they tried to claim I was responsible for mass deaths or something. Whatever.

muzrub333 wrote: »
    ranncore wrote: »
    You're cruel :) Working for you is dangerous!

Reminds me of this. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]