test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Call for the Bard Class!

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I have seen wizards get frustrated at bards and calling them spoony, or feel jealous at the three free servants they get or the way they are welcomed in any inn and asked for a free stay.

On the other hand, people regard wizards as maniacs who cause destruction, charging them more. Or they see them as "mad evil mage experimenting with things which should not be messed with". Most of the NPC villains are mages. Or the worst of the disasters are caused by them in their foolish experiments.

However, in D&D, NPCs don't have a lot of say. So even when wizards leave burning a town killing millions of innocent, not much action is taken against them - neither are they asked to pay for damages. Like Elminister, whichever city he goes, he brings destruction - all in the name of "saving the Faerun which only he can save" the collateral damage is justified. If only there was a judiciary system in Faerun, he would be broke after having to pay compensations, and if residents of Faerun had any common sense, they would chase him out of any city he goes to by throwing stones and insults...

Clerics though, are never concerned with such petty things. Depending on which deity they serve, they can be demanding, helpful or the evilest thing possible. An ideal cleric I guess would be Fzoul Chembryl, who served bane until death with complete faith and was made his exarch.
    Even if clerics bring collateral damage, nobody dares to say it on their face because everybody falls sick. And everybody needs healing. Also clerics can be very bigoted about their ways, so NPCs not opposing them is fine.

If ever D&D was made more realistic in terms of NPC interactions, it will be a nice addition to the game - and fun to see mages being chased out of the cities :p

EDIT:
    *Rescinds to his previous life as a Chaotic Good Necromancer of Selune ... ooh! The painful days!*
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    And I never killed millions of people! Only ten tho...err, no further comment!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    And I never killed millions of people! Only ten tho...err, no further comment!

But he(or she) did. Wiping out the whole clan, cities with one single spell - ooh! The horror. Even Cyric is embarrassed.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013

That video is absolutely priceless, thanks for the laughs ruinedmirage. Not that I agree that bards suck, if done right they can be one of the most fun classes to play.
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    I hate Bards.

That said (if/when they include more than 4 classes) I would be fine with Bards getting added. I always felt like they made some very flexible parties.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »
    ...if/when they include more than 4 classes....

They are.

And bards are too cool to notice your hate - they are too busy spreading love in the beds of the tavern of Sword coast.
  • jedidethfreak823jedidethfreak823 Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    They'll likely give you the option to buy the Bard class in the C-store for $25.

Maybe more, actually, since $25 is the price for a ship in STO, and a class is arguably more "important" gameplay-wise in NWO than a ship is in STO.
    edited January 2013
    They'll likely give you the option to buy the Bard class in the C-store for $25.

Maybe more, actually, since $25 is the price for a ship in STO, and a class is arguably more "important" gameplay-wise in NWO than a ship is in STO.

*Sigh*
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?8661-Answers-from-the-Developers
    Classes and adventures will always be free.
    No energy to say anything else...
  • jairyn1083jairyn1083 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I registered just so I could chime in and emphatically state that my interest in Neverwinter is predicated upon inclusion of the bard class (ideally with something akin to Cunning/Summer Rhymer). For me, it's not D&D without the bard. I felt kind of ripped off with 4e, when bards were relegated to "player's handbook 2" along with druids in favor of weirdness like warlock and warlord.

Upon further reflection, I would consider a swordmage as an alternative to a bard but, in a perfect world, a game based on 4e Forgotten Realms really should have both.
  • thedrakkosthedrakkos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 228 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    *love* bards.

agree.
    Looking for a mature guild to play with?

www.guildmedieval.com

Courtesy, Integrity, Fair Play.
  • tethiyeltethiyel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 31
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    And bards are too cool to notice your hate - they are too busy spreading love in the beds of the tavern of Sword coast.

No, the only Bard I ever met definitely noticed my hate. And my dagger at his throat. We made friends eventually. When he stopped being a Bard.
    "What greater weapon is there than to turn an enemy to your cause? To use their own knowledge against them?"
    edited January 2013
    tethiyel wrote: »
    No, the only Bard I ever met definitely noticed my hate. And my dagger at his throat. We made friends eventually. When he stopped being a Bard.

A black mage using a dagger ... pppfftt... those who wear dresses should only handle tableware... hope you didn't cut your own hands. <mage>
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    Since the thread is a call FOR bards, rather than against, I suppose I should say something nice....
    hmmm....
    Well, I've always had trouble telling the difference between football players and bards. They both dress in colorful tights, they try to showboat whenever the spotlight is on them, they spend most of their time running and hiding from the enemies, and usually go down with only one hit. But I noticed that if you kick them in the balls hard enough, the bard will get a +2 to his Performance checks.
    edited January 2013
    Since the thread is a call FOR bards, rather than against, I suppose I should say something nice....
    hmmm....
    Well, I've always had trouble telling the difference between football players and bards. They both dress in colorful tights, they try to showboat whenever the spotlight is on them, they spend most of their time running and hiding from the enemies, and usually go down with only one hit. But I noticed that if you kick them in the balls hard enough, the bard will get a +2 to his Performance checks.

You have never met a true bard my friend. A true bard has Dragonballz.

So they get +10 to Kamehameha

Check D&D books. Bards got dragonblood in them.
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Time to break some hearts.

Every class and build announced so far is from PH1. Bard isn't in PH1... They'll undoubtedly do Bard at some stage tho...
    edited January 2013
    You have never met a true bard my friend. A true bard has Dragonballz.

So they get +10 to Kamehameha

Check D&D books. Bards got dragonblood in them.

In which version did the dragonblood thing start? As long as they keep updating to new editions and stuff, they can keep adding more about the bard to make it sound cooler. For example: D&D next - OH YEAH! Didn't you know? Bards can <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows, too. And play 4 instruments at the same time. They've always been able to do that.
  • jairyn1083jairyn1083 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Everyone knows that bards have been able to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows since at least 2nd edition, come on.
    edited January 2013
    In which version did the dragonblood thing start? As long as they keep updating to new editions and stuff, they can keep adding more about the bard to make it sound cooler. For example: D&D next - OH YEAH! Didn't you know? Bards can <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows, too. And play 4 instruments at the same time. They've always been able to do that.

What? Didn't you play NWN1? It had bards take dragonborn prestige class.

By Lore, Bards and Sorcerers get their power (or basically most CHA based arcane classes) due to dragon's blood. Now, Dragonborn is separate race, but Sorcerer and Bards are different than dargonborn as only classes to have dragon's blood. Their classes and powers represent that.

However, strongest bards are Satyrs from Feyworld.

Curse your fate for never meeting a true bard.
    edited January 2013
    What? Didn't you play NWN1? It had bards take dragonborn prestige class.

By Lore, Bards and Sorcerers get their power (or basically most CHA based arcane classes) due to dragon's blood. Now, Dragonborn is separate race, but Sorcerer and Bards are different than dargonborn as only classes to have dragon's blood. Their classes and powers represent that.

However, strongest bards are Satyrs from Feyworld.

Curse your fate for never meeting a true bard.

Maybe, but when you said to grab a book, I opened my Complete Bard (2E) after looking through the PHB (also 2E). They were the two closest to me. So unless NWN1 pre-dates my AD&D cores, I'm not sure where this dragonborn thing comes from. The requirements I remember can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard_%28Dungeons_%26_Dragons%29
    AD&D was my initiation to the bard class, and those are the bards I remember. Now, you might be right that rules have changed, but you might have to specify which edition you're referencing.

And @jairyn1083, I think in D&D next they're just making it official that it's a legitimate, strategical, beneficial power that can be applied in battles to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rainbows. (sarcasm, btw)
    edited January 2013
    AD&D was my initiation to the bard class, and those are the bards I remember. Now, you might be right that rules have changed, but you might have to specify which edition you're referencing...

You should already know that only 4e edition is relevant to any discussions related to the game.
    edited January 2013
    You should already know that only 4e edition is relevant to any discussions related to the game.

I can't argue with that, I guess. XD

Okay, so the comment I made about kicking the bard in the balls to get the +2 to Performance, I take that back because I was thinking of the wrong edition. My bad. Apparently they don't even take damage or get hindered from being kicked in the groin. I don't know if going THERE is much better, but .... eh, whatever. *shrug*
    edited January 2013
    I can't argue with that, I guess. XD

Okay, so the comment I made about kicking the bard in the balls to get the +2 to Performance, I take that back because I was thinking of the wrong edition. My bad. Apparently they don't even take damage or get hindered from being kicked in the groin. I don't know if going THERE is much better, but .... eh, whatever. *shrug*
    And bard are quite seriously the Ultimate Powah!!! in 4e. Check my lore info for multiclass.

If I have 13 INT, I can train in any wizard power. With 13 STR and CON I can take any fighter power, while keeping wizard power.

Not to mention my own bard powers are cool. You remember my paragon path on Euphonic bow on bard - the build closest to arcane archer?

FEAR TEH GODS!!!!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    I am always tired as a bard because we're always doing it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I've never been attracted to the bard class before, but in another thread people were talking about having to actually play a tune, like a sort of mini game, a la Ocarina of Time style, where bards could really make songs and different music. I could see that being very fun and rewarding.
    Lots of good opportunity there.
  • ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited January 2013
    I take that back actually, I did play a really fun bard in PnP once. He was a POS. Started with a 6 strength and used a cursed whip - something like a -1 whip, that made you use that whip whenever it was in your inventory. And I would always use it to try to disarm opponents. This was a 3e or 3.5 campaign, where any time you tried to disarm someone, if you failed, your opponent would get to roll immediately to disarm you. So my opponents always ended up with my cursed whip in their hands.

Fun times.
    edited January 2013
    I am always tired as a bard because we're always doing it.

A good bard can probably seduce Lady of Pain too.
  • pregnablepregnable Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    A Bards is like the beautiful stepdad that you always wanted to knock your teeth out at your junior prom.

They make Michael Jackson's Moonwalker out of golems, dragons and coffee cups alike.

They always live to tell about how badly other people died.

Put them in game nao please.
    edited January 2013
    First thing I will do when bard class is released is make a foundry mission concerning bard and a spoon. But I am sure many others are waiting to do the same.

YAY! Spoony bard!

EDIT:
    from old times
    FF4-SpoonyBard_zps4b086e54.png
    edited January 2013
    I wonder how many people know what "spoony bard" is referencing. Certainly not those who don't want an "eastern influence" on our D&D setting.....
    edited January 2013
    I wonder how many people know what "spoony bard" is referencing. Certainly not those who don't want an "eastern influence" on our D&D setting.....

The love for retro games spans through all boundaries and all cultures.

They remade it for PSP, I heard. I want to play it. I played the remake of crystal though(ff1) It was nice.
This discussion has been closed.