test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Call for the Bard Class!

aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
The reason I believe the Bard was removed from 4e initially was the emphasis on 4e of giving every class a distinct role. Several classes, particularly, the bard, were impossible to fit in to this shallow a paradigm. Then there's the legendary WotC "market research", which even Mike Mearls admitted was probably bad science.

Hence in PHB 2, upon popular demand, the bard class was inducted into 4e.

The 4e Bard's at will and encounter spellsongs are so unique and diverse, that I believe this quite possibly will be the most popular class addition to the game in due time.

I also believe bards can be AN INSTRUMENTAL CLASS, that Cryptic can showcase to the world as proof 4e, and hence, Neverwinter, isnt just a "shut up and play your role" game.

Bards are indeed NEVER about playing a single role, and ALWAYS about variety, balance and multitasking. Many who took the time to get to learn to play a bard will say that it was their most fun class to play, including the author of this thread. So lets take a look at how the bard class BREAKS THE 4e MOLD.

* You are the master of positioning. You have a knack for making sure your allies are in the right place at the right time. After all, it doesn't matter how good your party's nova potential is if they're not in a position to unleash it, and you can get a party into position more consistently and expediently than any other Leader can. And not only do you get your allies into the right place, but you also tend to force enemies there.

* You tend to cripple the enemy as much as you help your allies. With your alternate role as Controller, this isn't really a surprise. You like to jinx the enemies' attacks, strip their defenses, inflict status effects, and generally do a lot of nasty things to their survival chances. You're still a team player, but you can't help but get some satisfaction yourself as your powers have more of a direct effect than those of other Leaders. There's something about dominating a foe and making him do your bidding that just sounds really cool. You are the master of the mind.

* You are extremely versatile. Want to lead from the front with a shiny blade in hand? You got it. From the back? You got it. With a conductor's baton? You got it. With a bow? You got it. Strumming a lute? You got it. And it doesn't stop there. You are free to dabble in as many other classes' abilities as you'd like to tailor your arsenal as you see fit. Want more healing? You got it. Want things to die faster? You got it. Need more control? You got it.

* You are a master of skills. In fact, only three of the skills in the entire game aren't on your class skill list. Moreover, you start with the second-most number of trained skills after the Rogue. Because you're charismatic, you excel in conversational skill challenges involving skills like Diplomacy and Bluff. And to top it all off, you have the ability to make the skills you didn't train almost as good as the ones you did train.

So I ask our community, who wants to see bards make an early appearance in Neverwinter?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
Post edited by aandrethegiant on

Comments

• stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    You may have your Bard class....just as soon as I get my Ranger class :P
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Haha! Fascinating idea! :) {pun purely accidental.. heh heh heh}

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I love interesting support classes so the Bard is one of my favorites.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Love the bard, Ddo's was the best interpretation, lotro = fail apart from playing enter the sandman on the lute. so lets hope they can configure this to be even better.

so bring out the bard after the Druid b:laugh
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Correction, Twin Strike Range. Add Tempest Fighter to that ;)
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Love the bard,..so bring out the bard after the Druid b:laugh

I heard from someone once that druid was coming... Soon (tm)

Now... where was that........:)

• ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I heard from someone once that druid was coming... Soon (tm)

Now... where was that........:)

Such an Underated Class they have A real chance of making this Primo one if they put the time and dedication to it, i cant say i played any game where this has outstood, was hoping the bear shaman IN A0C was gonna rock= Pfffttttttttt FAIL.

Sorry in advance for the hijack.

Back to the bard, yeah they ROCK literally.
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Back to the bard, yeah they ROCK literally.

Don't I know it!!! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZEcNpcTwUM

• perdidurperdidur Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2012
    Never played a Bard in any game and the last time I played PnP DnD many years ago there weren't any Bards so I am very ignorant about them. Closest thing to a Bard I have any association with is the Skald from **** and they were a sweet class so I assume a Bard in NWO would be somewhat similar. The more the merrier I say and I will repeat the Stormdragon's sentiments and say that the Bard is most welcome right after my Ranger. I assume that most potential classes will be available eventually but some will cost some coin. I just hope that Ranger is in at release.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Love the Bard!!!!

But also show your love by supporting this very active Original Bard Thread. Huzza to our Magical Musician!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    I want a battle drum bard. Or a violin bard.

Battle drum unlocking unique defense buffs and violin being a more jack of all trades spellcasting.
  • djibouti262djibouti262 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Bard class,

Let me just start off I am in complete favor of your post. I have played many mmo's in my day. Anarchy online, to Dark age of Camelot, UO, FF11, and so on. It is my belief that if mmo rpgs wish to give a fresh spin on the gameplay experience. They need to look to more exotic class options. Just because they are exotic classes doesn't mean they need to be OP either. Games are awesome when everyone feels equally capable, yet through whatever the classes role maybe the player can show the group their abilities in that fashion. I would really love to see a capable bard class. Yes they bring unique abilities to a group, yet so many times in games that include a bard they just feel awfully gimped to their role compared to everyone else. Some of that is based on the game mechanics other is players unaware what a bard can bring. If this game could introduce Such classes and change or show players something new, then they would have something really refreshing to online gaming if not groundbreaking. To give a quick list of such classes Arcane Warrior, Duelist, Alchemist, Gladiator, and Red Dragon disciple. The list isn't by no means exhausted, but just a small start.
  • elemberq333elemberq333 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I always like running my bard in Dark Age of Camelot because it gave us extra speed on the Frontier where all the PvP took place in that game. Mounts were disabled on the Frontier to prevent players from getting back into the battle to quickly so the motivational song of the bard was very useful on the Frontier as it allowed your entire group to run at a much faster speed then a normal run, still not too fast but faster.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Has it been raised from the dead?

4e bards are quite strong with their multiclassing ability. They are very very versatile and powerful. One of the paths can make a great substitute for arcane archer too.
    edited January 2013
    My wife has serious issues with Bards, it all started back when one player insisted on Role Playing his character, I mean really Role Playing him...dress/Instrument/really really bad signing.

Ever since then Bards are Backstabbed by her character as soon as possible...Bards tend to be the Red Shirts of our campaigns...she actually did a Snoopy dance when she found out that 4e didn't have them and was bummed when they were reintroduced in PHB 2....but it all evens out since Trickster rogues are backstabbing machines.
  • mrbuttflakesmrbuttflakes Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    That's hilarious Storm. Wow, that would be annoying as any having to deal with that lol.
    New rule: If you can't sing, dress and play... no bard fo you!
    edited January 2013
    ...e: If you can't sing, ...!

Don't judge me! You don't understand my art!

*Runs off crying like a little girl with manly tears in his eyes*
    edited January 2013
    My wife has serious issues with Bards, it all started back when one player insisted on Role Playing his character, I mean really Role Playing him...dress/Instrument/really really bad signing.

Ever since then Bards are Backstabbed by her character as soon as possible...Bards tend to be the Red Shirts of our campaigns...she actually did a Snoopy dance when she found out that 4e didn't have them and was bummed when they were reintroduced in PHB 2....but it all evens out since Trickster rogues are backstabbing machines.

Fascinating.... never met a rogue I couldnt charm... see the milkman's even a bard... and the wifey still tells you she hates bards?? Better check to see if she got a milk mustache, heh heh hehh.....

Lesson: Never leave the wife home when the milkman delivers!

• xlebonilxlebonil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    i only hope it will not be like the bard ninja in Diablo3 hehhe.
    edited January 2013
    Fascinating.... never met a rogue I couldnt charm... see the milkman's even a bard... and the wifey still tells you she hates bards?? Better check to see if she got a milk mustache, heh heh hehh.....

Lesson: Never leave the wife home when the milkman delivers!

Ummmm okayyyy either I'm missing something or you have been at the gaffers homebrew again

:eek:
    edited January 2013
    That's hilarious Storm. Wow, that would be annoying as any having to deal with that lol.
    New rule: If you can't sing, dress and play... no bard fo you!

Pretty much, and yeah the guy was super annoying...was trying way too hard to impress people.
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2013
    I have the same issue. It's that creepy LARPing, with over the top, egotistical point of view that makes me see red and instantly put a big fat "X" on the character's forehead. They can do EVERYTHING, and that's reason enough to show them that they're NOT all that and a bag of chips. DEFINITELY the last thing I want to see is the whole NWO server as a huge bard orgy. If that's the case, then I'll GLADLY welcome open world PvP!!
    edited January 2013
    I have the same issue. It's that creepy LARPing, ...

What is the difference between LARP and LRP anyways? I see the two terms being thrown a lot...
    edited January 2013
    I've never heard the acronym LRP before, but LARP is pretty much what I associate with the SCA.
  • runeskaldruneskald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    The Bard is a fantastic class, Jack of all trades and master of none is just interesting enough to keep me playing. Inspiring songs and Curse songs are key to the class making them capable, if they use all the tricks in their tool box, to on their own or with a party ensure a victory (much longer fight on their own but that is half the fun). I have kept up pew pewing with the best of the rangers in some games, Kited dragons to death in others, and musically enthralled and charmed hordes of monsters (making the enchanters blush with envy). I think that the First class before Rangers and Druids should be Bards.
    Player of many games, Master of none...
  • korogorkorogor Member Posts: 2
    edited January 2013
    Bards Eh? Hmm there is only one thing I can say to this idea... Frig yes!!! In PnP I play mostly bards; I also subscribe to the theory that every bard level you have also nets you 6 levels in the Awesomeness PrC so long as you stick to primarily bard. So how can I put this mildly? Bards or I'll sic a soul eating squirrel on poor defenseless kittens, puppies and Kobold hatchlings?
    edited January 2013
    edited January 2013

Meh... I'd have that Zorro-clone dancing like Michael Jackson in a Coke commercial... but you get an E for effort none-the-less! ;)

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    they're NOT all that and a bag of chips.

Wait, we get chips too?!

*Goes off and demands his bag of chips.*
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Wizards rock too! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.