test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The downside of mounts

Comments

• Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    I can't say a lot about PvP yet because a lot is still changing about it. I can say there will be battleground style PvP maps with large groups, capture point based maps, and... well no I probably shouldn't reveal that part just yet.

We want to allow PvP map creation in the Foundry, but this will likely happen after launch because PvP is one of the last features being added and we need a lot of lead time to add it to the Foundry.

Hah hah :) Thanks!
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I can't say a lot about PvP yet because a lot is still changing about it. I can say there will be battleground style PvP maps with large groups, capture point based maps, and... well no I probably shouldn't reveal that part just yet.

We want to allow PvP map creation in the Foundry, but this will likely happen after launch because PvP is one of the last features being added and we need a lot of lead time to add it to the Foundry.

Ok there is one serious problem with Massive PvP.

"Brute Force" - where pvp is won by domination in numbers of players. Is there something you guys did to solve that problem? I Don't know how much you guys did with pvp but if you create pvp where 2 big groups of people meet at one place no one moves and everyone start casting aoe then it's going to suck hard.

My solution which I believe is best one is to divide people to smaller let say 30 people groups and make them enemies to other groups.

I have that solution in my gvg thread. I don't care if someone don't like my ideas but just think about "Brute Force Problem"

anyway my threads....

Guild Wars (massive PvP and turnaments, reward system, guild house etc.)
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21121-Guild-Wars-End-game-content-%28Work-In-Progress%29

PvP arenas
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?5691-PvP-Altar-of-Ancients
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm betting group PvP will make multiple hold points to limit AOE exploitation, so if one point gets AOE'd the other ones can still be in play.

No clue how (and if now I think about it) they'd handle 1-on-1 PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    3. Having worked on all previous Cryptic titles, I can happily say that no flying mounts are planned. Adding flight to a game presents some crazy challenges for the content and environment art team, and not having flight actually allows us to make the game look better.

I am somehow relieved to hear that, however I hope that campaign specific things about flying are there - e.g. cutscenes of flying when you go to pirates skyhold - or something like that...
  • Options
    edited December 2012

After reading this my jaw dropped to ground and shattered. Making PvP maps in foundry would be awesome.

But the question is can I use PvP and PvE in the same quest(mission) or probably the campaign? Maybe ask this one later.
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Ok here are a few facts about mounts:

1. We can and do control specifically which areas allow mounts. Currently you can only use mounts in persistent exterior zones.

2. I don't foresee griefing with mounts being an issue in Neverwinter, but we will be able to test this during beta.

3. Having worked on all previous Cryptic titles, I can happily say that no flying mounts are planned. Adding flight to a game presents some crazy challenges for the content and environment art team, and not having flight actually allows us to make the game look better.

4. There are already a wide range of horse mounts, as well as other creatures.

5. AFAIK most mounts that are not horses have a reference as a mount in D&D lore. (we have to get these by WOTC anyway)

6. You can currently use mounts in PvP, but you can be knocked off if you are damaged enough and you auto-dismount when you interact or attack.

7. The same auto-dismount policy applies in PvE

OMG

It's like you guys asked me to personally design the mount system.

/brohug

You are now may favorist devloper ;)
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    borisbotborisbot Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited December 2012

:cool: This made my gaming world... I was so worried that you would listen to these RP\LARPers QQ threads to ban PvP or make it into some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> PvP system, /lightingbolt. Theres still hope for good PvP in this game :D
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    borisbot wrote: »
    :cool: This made my gaming world... I was so worried that you would listen to these RP\LARPers QQ threads to ban PvP or make it into some <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> PvP system, /lightingbolt. Theres still hope for good PvP in this game :D

PVP will be similar to PVP in CO and STO with the inclusion of Foundry PVP later on which STO will also get at some point. Also there are no LARPERS in MMO's as there is no Live Action

The more you know.
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Not going to lie here, i want a giant spider as a mount. Even if mounts are strictly non combat travel, it would still fit as a good match for any drow or servant of Lolth to be a spider rider.

As for mounts in general is there any news on if they'll be combat mounts like CO's vehicles, or if they'll just be to get from point A to point B a little faster?

Personally i think that there should be various types of mounts with bonuses to benefit the player.
    Horses: longest sprint duration, medium sprint speed, most durable in combat
    Wolves:medium sprint duration, Highest sprint speed, least durable in combat
    Spiders: Shortest sprint speed, Medium sprint speed, Medium durablility in combat

Depending on if they're combat capable they could also have abilities like
    Horses: trample: single target with hold (since its hard to move) Kick: single target with knockback
    All Horse attacks could be high damage but longer cooldowns
    Wolves: bite: single target with bleed effect Claw: single target with bleed
    wolf attacks could be medium or light damage with a shorter cooldown
    Spiders: Bite: single target, low damage but DoT effect Web: AoE with little to no damage but longer hold effect

Things like that. I can understand no flying mounts for the sake of keeping it simple, but at least give us some variety to match our characters style as well as something more that just from A to B.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Not going to lie here, i want a giant spider as a mount. Even if mounts are strictly non combat travel, it would still fit as a good match for any drow or servant of Lolth to be a spider rider.....

Spider mount has been confirmed by Craigs tweet
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Spider mount has been confirmed by Craigs tweet

Yep and it's either going to look wickedly <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> or horrible...there is going to be no in between
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I heard that on april 1st there will be beta with sarah jessica parker mount.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    adamantium1adamantium1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ohh well guess that confirms no mounted combat.
  • Options
    singularitariansingularitarian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    If there is any kind of faction/reputation system, I would hope that it's negatively affected by riding a giant spider through the city of Neverwinter. I mean, really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    If there is any kind of faction/reputation system, I would hope that it's negatively affected by riding a giant spider through the city of Neverwinter. I mean, really.

I think folks are jumping the gun on the spider personally....looking at the twitter feed it seems like you ride one during a dungeon delve, that doesn't necessarily mean you can ride one permanently, something else to consider Cryptomapolis said that there were a lot of places that you couldn't ride your mount and every leaked video I have seen (which is considerable) shows no mounts in the city proper.....you may have to walk while you're there.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I am not aware of the existence of leaked videos except for one which was reported, but it is alpha. That means they can very well have disabled any mount at all - alpha is not a preview of whole or even near a complete game. They just enable a few feature and let you find bugs. It is more like a unit test than test of a whole system.

And even if mount was there, many of the mounts will be shop item. So unless given to you specifically for test purposes, you may not be able to buy any other mount(considering cash shops are not supposed to be enabled in such tests).

EDIT:
    And no reason for any drow to have a mount other than spider. If drow can climb out from underdark, so can they. If needs be they can be defanged like the horses are saddled.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I am not aware of the existence of leaked videos except for one which was reported, but it is alpha. That means they can very well have disabled any mount at all - alpha is not a preview of whole or even near a complete game. They just enable a few feature and let you find bugs. It is more like a unit test than test of a whole system.

And even if mount was there, many of the mounts will be shop item. So unless given to you specifically for test purposes, you may not be able to buy any other mount(considering cash shops are not supposed to be enabled in such tests).

EDIT:
    And no reason for any drow to have a mount other than spider. If drow can climb out from underdark, so can they. If needs be they can be defanged like the horses are saddled.

Yeah but you have to consider the reaction from people in the towns....I'm sorry a drow (unless you're Drizzt or to a lesser extent Jarlaxle who still has to keep a low profile while in Neverwinter ) riding a spider through Neverwinter would probably be dog piled by the city guard even today where seeing demons is a common site.

And as for no drow should have a mount besides a spider...what about Andahar or the lizard mounts some Drow ride? Jarlaxle doesn't ride a spider....in fact no Drow in the fictions rides one on the surface to my knowledge .
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Yeah but you have to consider the reaction from people in the towns....I'm sorry a drow (unless you're Drizzt or to a lesser extent Jarlaxle who still has to keep a low profile while in Neverwinter ) riding a spider through Neverwinter would probably be dog piled by the city guard even today where seeing demons is a common site.

And as for no drow should have a mount besides a spider...what about Andahar or the lizard mounts some Drow ride? Jarlaxle doesn't ride a spider....in fact no Drow in the fictions rides one on the surface to my knowledge .

I hate to rain on your parade but I don't think that mounts (whether exotic or not) will be considered when it comes to lore. This WILL be where they will sell them in the cash shop, it has been proven that mounts will outsell almost all other things on a cash shop. So whether a drow or non drow should be riding a spider in Neverwinter will be moot it will be allowed. As to leaked videos I have seen some recently (as of the end of Nov) and they were riding a wolf in Neverwinter so like I said it will be allowed whether its lore friendly or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I hate to rain on your parade but I don't think that mounts (whether exotic or not) will be considered when it comes to lore. This WILL be where they will sell them in the cash shop, it has been proven that mounts will outsell almost all other things on a cash shop. So whether a drow or non drow should be riding a spider in Neverwinter will be moot it will be allowed. As to leaked videos I have seen some recently (as of the end of Nov) and they were riding a wolf in Neverwinter so like I said it will be allowed whether its lore friendly or not.

Not raining on my parade at all and yeah I saw that video too and actually that wasn't Neverwinter it was in another location (which I can't talk about or Truth and Zeb will kill me) which has folks wondering about exactly where mounts are going to be allowed, the greater point is that while they will be allowed no doubt there is going to be pushback from certain members of the community and more than likely WotC as well....they pretty much have to check with them about everything that's been said quite a few times and these days WotC is rabidly protective of their continuity...Salvatore and Emmert spoke a bit about this at Gencon.

But honestly if a Nightmare similar to Artemis's Nightmare shows up in the shop I'll be the first to whip out 25 bucks for it.
  • Options
    health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012

First thing ill do is go right to the cash shop.Find the fastest horse,or if they all move the same speed ill look for the cheapest mount :D click buy move to the next tab click buy heal pots and bag of holdings,if these are all buy-able.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited December 2012
    Actually Mapolis said every non-horse mount had to be passed by WoTC to check for lore.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    Actually Mapolis said every non-horse mount had to be passed by WoTC to check for lore.

Yep Jack said the same thing in a very round about way at Gencon he said: "Armor looks items... mounts if we decide to include them..."

So it may well end up being an issue and as I said before that Spider mount may just be a temporary ride in a Dungeon Delve...but it would make a cool reward for successfully completing it.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I have pretty loose limits as to how far the lore can be stretched to accommodate gameplay. I'm usually not a nitpicker.

However I'm pretty disappointed about what I've heard from TESO in terms of lore retcon so far and I have absolutely no interest in SWTOR, among my reasons for not wanting to play butchery of the lore being one.
  • Options
    bitterwinterbitterwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    As to permission from Wizard I'm sure what they require is for Cryptic to submit the concept art/idea say we want a spider mount are spider mounts available in D&D for players...Wizard then responds to yes lore wise you can have a spider mount. However I don't think Wizards (and I could be wrong here) can say yes lore wise you can have a spider mount, however, you can only get it by doing xyz. Don't forget Wizards also wants those cash shop items (a la mounts) to sell as that means future revenue for Neverwinter which means possible future content which means future business with Cryptic which means revenue for them. So I think the most they will do is say yes lore wise you can have x mount in game but I don't think they will but limits on how its given. As to the mount storm I saw it in Protector's Enclave and that's all I'll say.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    As to permission from Wizard I'm sure what they require is for Cryptic to submit the concept art/idea say we want a spider mount are spider mounts available in D&D for players...Wizard then responds to yes lore wise you can have a spider mount. However I don't think Wizards (and I could be wrong here) can say yes lore wise you can have a spider mount, however, you can only get it by doing xyz. Don't forget Wizards also wants those cash shop items (a la mounts) to sell as that means future revenue for Neverwinter which means possible future content which means future business with Cryptic which means revenue for them. So I think the most they will do is say yes lore wise you can have x mount in game but I don't think they will but limits on how its given. As to the mount storm I saw it in Protector's Enclave and that's all I'll say.

We just don't know a lot about it yet...time will tell though.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I'm sure they will charge for some special mounts also. I'd do it and I hate charging!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    i kind of like the idea of consequences to certain mounts. It makes a lot of sense that in the city you would get a lot of stares on a giant spider, or in the under you would get some stares on a horse. It would add an interesting game feature if people respondd a certain way. Remember in the fable games people reacted to you based on what youve done or were doing at the time? walk around naked and they make odd comments, but save the town a few times and ever one seems to accept it and just talk about the deeds you've done WHILE being naked.

Its a great mechanic that a lot of games are really missing out on but would add a whole new level of immersion.

As a side question, how much are you willing to pay for mounts? based on the topics of exotic, standard, and +1?

Standard i couldnt see paying more that 100 zen for. It's not real, so it shouldn't cost me a whole lot of money. I'm not shelling out $25 for a virtual horse.

Exotic things like lizards and spiders or even bar maids with great.... personalities, i wouldn't pay more that 300 zen for. Yes they look better than just a horse, but still, if it's not real, they shouldn't charge out the ear for it.

+1 is the term for ships in sto that come with extra like a special power or better stats. Here we could have things like a combat mount, or a mount that is faster than the rest, or even better, a wagon that acts as a bank as well. I wouldn't pay anything more than 500 zen, because at that point it's just getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    I'm down with that. Even if it's little details, like pedestrians in town saying, "whoa, keep that spider away from me!" as you ride by are the little details that add a lot of immersion to games.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    i kind of like the idea of consequences to certain mounts. It makes a lot of sense that in the city you would get a lot of stares on a giant spider, or in the under you would get some stares on a horse. It would add an interesting game feature if people respondd a certain way. Remember in the fable games people reacted to you based on what youve done or were doing at the time? walk around naked and they make odd comments, but save the town a few times and ever one seems to accept it and just talk about the deeds you've done WHILE being naked.

Its a great mechanic that a lot of games are really missing out on but would add a whole new level of immersion.

This was brought up before - doing so(and similar things) will increase lag. That is why MMOs don't have that level of complexities where interactions with large crowd is involved. If they try to limit it to client side only, they would have to add rootkits as anti-hack measure which usually complicates the things a lot (as bad people will hack anyways while normal people end up having all the technical issues).

That is why adding a lot of detail to character in public area is usually not done in MMO games(even though technically possible).
    I'm down with that. Even if it's little details, like pedestrians in town saying, "whoa, keep that spider away from me!" as you ride by are the little details that add a lot of immersion to games.
    Although this can be implemented without problem of lag by having same animation play for npc to all, while changing one word with a variable like [playername] in their dialog box.
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    This was brought up before - doing so(and similar things) will increase lag. That is why MMOs don't have that level of complexities where interactions with large crowd is involved. If they try to limit it to client side only, they would have to add rootkits as anti-hack measure which usually complicates the things a lot (as bad people will hack anyways while normal people end up having all the technical issues).

That is why adding a lot of detail to character in public area is usually not done in MMO games(even though technically possible).

Actually it was more true five years ago than now, with the exponential increase of bandwidth and the advent of virtual atoms as opposed to polygons to reduce lag things like this are quite easily achievable....oh most MMO devs will still tell you it's not feasible but they are pretty much just sticking to the cheapest path of least resistance however we should start to see some of these technologies in games like TESO and even EQ Next.