test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Online Q&A (For Everybody)

Comments

• kronicmastrbaitkronicmastrbait Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    What module is Neverwinter running off of?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    I'm not sure what you mean? Neverwinter is the game itself, we will be making "modules" called User Generated Content, (A.K.A. "UGC" or "Foundry Missions") that are accessed through the game world itself. It is not going to allow player-ran servers, for this is not Neverwinter Nights 3. It is not a continuation of that series but instead it's own, based off of not the prior games but off of the literary works by R.A. Salvatore's "Neverwinter Saga" novels and WotC's 4th Edition "Forgotten Realms Neverwinter Campaign Setting" source material.

If you mean game engine: Neverwinter is running off of a modified and updated version of their Cryptic Engine. Earlier versions of this Engine are used in STO and CO. Neverwinter's version also has incorporated new technologies that sets it apart from the earlier versions of the Engine.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    dnier69 wrote: »
    i payed into raiderz forsaken and pw any chance of me getting a key i also beat the original neverwinter and would love to get in on this
    if not when is estimated release date?

Unfortunately, the only RaiderZ beta offer was when they were offering Founder's packs and that promotion has ended a while back.

When the game here gets close to Closed Beta there will be more offers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    I wonder will there be a in game mail system where we can swap stuff between characters, or send things to other characters? Sorry if this has been answered before, I couldn't find it.

Also, we have all seen the trickster rogue (thief) videos, but has there been any hint that they (rogues) will have classic abilities like picking pockets, setting traps and having a better then normal chance to spot hidden things?

Ah, I also wonder how death is handled in NWN? Is it standard MMO, Rez by party member or to a graveyard? Any loss in gear durability or skill?
  • health002health002 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 154 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012

Forgotten realms ?????
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    valandur1 wrote: »
    Ah, I also wonder how death is handled in NWN? Is it standard MMO, Rez by party member or to a graveyard? Any loss in gear durability or skill?

No solid answer for this yet that I have seen, but there is a thread debating what a death penalty should be.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    No solid answer for this yet that I have seen, but there is a thread debating what a death penalty should be.

We were told rez scrolls would be used so everyone would need plenty just in case.
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valandur1valandur1 Member Posts: 89
    edited December 2012
    We were told rez scrolls would be used so everyone would need plenty just in case.

Nice, I really hope they allow for possible spell failure based on Int. check! *fizzle* "your Intelligence of 4 causes the spell to fail" "Grrrrrr! Growls the Barbarian". :)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    valandur1 wrote: »
    Nice, I really hope they allow for possible spell failure based on Int. check! *fizzle* "your Intelligence of 4 causes the spell to fail" "Grrrrrr! Growls the Barbarian". :)

Spell failure left around the time of 3rd edition. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing an illerate barbarian try and cast a scroll! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Spell failure left around the time of 3rd edition. Not that I wouldn't mind seeing an illerate barbarian try and cast a scroll! :)

Yeah, especialy if it's your lifeless form he's trying to rez, right?
  • zander0of0azurezander0of0azure Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    how do you get a key and get into beta?
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    how do you get a key and get into beta?

This has been asked a zillion times , and answered a zillion times as well. Reading the start of this thred might have answered your question, as well as reading the New Users FAQ thred.
    But to answer you, Beta has not started yet, so you can not get into it now at this time. And by registering for this forum so you can post here in the forums, you have already registure for a chance to recieve a randomly drawn beta key.There is also the possibility that some time in the future there will be more opportunities for bete key give aways.

Hmmm, hey Mods, maybe yall shoud create a thred labeled something like Beta Info, and sticky it. That way all those who come to the forums can see it plainly, and these 2 questions won't have to be answered 5 times a day.
  • zeoxzzeoxz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    Yeah, especialy if it's your lifeless form he's trying to rez, right?

to use as punch'g bag again??

punch kick punch.. oppps
    rezz..
    continue with "training"
    another oppps
    another rezz... :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Sadly at this point I have simply conceded defeat that people just don't read. If they ask, answer, and it's much appreciated when you all answer the questions too :)

The point of the Beta Anxiety Thread is to provide Beta Info and a location for people to vent about the Beta Release...and despite the entire first post completely devoted to answering when the Beta will be released we still have people posting questions of how to access the non-existent Beta Test in that very thread.

The information isn't buried or hard to find. Some people just won't read.
    And at this point I've heard every excuse in the book about it so I simply answer and consolidate. Nothing more can be done.
    *Defeated*

And no spell failure makes for a very sad Ambisinisterr. I don't care if the dumb barbarian is my only hope haha.
    Some people hate randomness and the possibility of bad luck...but to me that literal translation to the real world of the chance of fgailure, no matter how practiced or planned, added depth to the game.
    *lights a candle to mourn the loss of good content*

Next they'll take away Critical Failures in attack rolls :(
    You laugh now but mark my words...!
    edited December 2012
    Ummm, there is no crit failure in 4E just failure. Did you want a good cry? No shame at all in it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Fumbles are excellent for pnp and roleplaying, but in a game, it just makes Smash Brothers Brawl suck with that freaking random trip mechanic.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Does anyone have any links, knowledge of post-spellplague merchantile elements near neverwinter?

e.g. I am aware that Calimshan needs human slaves which Amn and Waterdeep(black market) provides, and that there are mines near calim which give black stone, but what about other resources near neverwinter?

Also what about finished products? [New Neverwinter no longer has clockworks as the technology is buried deep in House of knowledge's archives not yet recovered]

Also, although Amn, baldur's gate and waterdeep do a lot of trade but any incomplete exhaustive list of products we have?
  • catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Are there other spell casting type of class besides than control wizard? This is a very noob question because I don't know most of those D&D things. I'm not hooked by the control wizard mainly because of it's animation.

Or is it the only type of spell casting class and it has other skill trees?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
    edited January 2013
    Are there other spell casting type of class besides than control wizard? ...

Lots of more spellcasting types. We don't know if they would be at launch but over time they will be released. There is devil-magic(hellfire), god-magic(shiny shiny), telekinetic and telepathic magic, time stop magic, throw spells like dragon magic, singing magic, nature magic, dark magic(dead bodies) etc...
    edited January 2013
    I'll note the Devoted Cleric s a spell-based cleric we hope to see examples of soon, and the other classes will all very likely have one other build, so other spell-type classes will be out upon release.

After release, I expect things like warlock and maybe even sorcerer to be released
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • viaxusviaxus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 66
    edited January 2013
    Bah edit...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • charliedeath1995charliedeath1995 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    if nwo works out will there be a nw3?
    edited January 2013
    if nwo works out will there be a nw3?

D&D:Neverwinter has nothing to do with NWN series. It is the first and only part of the series. It is based on same city at which one of the previous series was based on, but it has as much else common with NWN series as with BG or Planescape:Torment series.
    edited January 2013
    Sorry if this has been asked many many times already, but I have been unable to find an exact answer to my question.

Lets say someone tries to create Menzoberranzan as an area. Is there a population cap on that UGC? As in, how many players will be able to access that area at any one time? I believe the cap in NWN 2 was around 60-ish players per persistant world. Any word on the numbers here? Thanks in advance!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked many many times already, but I have been unable to find an exact answer to my question.

Lets say someone tries to create Menzoberranzan as an area. Is there a population cap on that UGC? As in, how many players will be able to access that area at any one time? I believe the cap in NWN 2 was around 60-ish players per persistant world. Any word on the numbers here? Thanks in advance!
    For custom maps:-
    1 party per instance and as many instances as you want. 1 party is 5 people. All the people on server may be playing same quest in their own instances.

For public maps:-
    No limit.

~~~~
    The cap is in number of objects, number of map and number of encounters per quest. The limits for NW foundry have not been revealed, but STO foundry's limits are out there somewhere(if you search around for them).

i.e. When you create your own map, if the number of objects (say/assume/hypothetical) exceeds 15,000 - you will need to break your map into two.

If your quest has more than (say/assume/hypothetical) 7 maps, and you need 10, you will need to break them up to two quests. etc.
    edited January 2013
    Ahh alright, so basically it would be impossible creating an area where say 50 people could hang out together and roleplay as being drow in the Underdark? Thats a shame. But hopefully things will change one day!. Thanks for the reply though. This thing has cut away my post 3 times now...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2013
    viaxus wrote: »
    Ahh alright, so basically it would be impossible creating an area where say 50 people could hang out together and roleplay as being drow in the Underdark? Thats a shame. But hopefully things will change one day!. Thanks for the reply though. This thing has cut away my post 3 times now...

Not at launch - this is in devs wishlist. And they have said on track "would be implemented not anytime soon."
    ~~~~
    However, if there is a public map of underdark (official public map where you take your quests etc.) you can design your quest in that area. But your public area design is very limited. You can use an object to start another quest in instance(for 5 player party) or can let them talk to some npc with your predefined dialogs. But basically thats it.
  • zarkaz123zarkaz123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    Foundry question

So, there is quite a bit of gaps about the foundry. What kind of limitations will be put in place to avoid someone from making a super easy dungeon with really good loot drops for people to just come in and do an easy farm? I am very concerned about this type of thing going on.
    edited January 2013
    zarkaz123 wrote: »
    Foundry question

So, there is quite a bit of gaps about the foundry. What kind of limitations will be put in place to avoid someone from making a super easy dungeon with really good loot drops for people to just come in and do an easy farm? I am very concerned about this type of thing going on.

IT can't be done! <<link>>

p.s. (for how read answers by crypticmapolis in sticky answers from developers where he talks about foundry and this specific question).
  • zarkaz123zarkaz123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2013
    gillrmn wrote: »
    IT can't be done! <<link>>

p.s. (for how read answers by crypticmapolis in sticky answers from developers where he talks about foundry and this specific question).

Well, I am unable to find that question and answer so I am asking again. Posting weird troll videos of a word not said is very rude btw.