Install Arc
Options

Classes - A quandary

2»

Comments

• Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    After reading Zeb's post #56, I don't believe this has been discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Do we want multiple classes with shallow builds early on, or do we want the 4 release classes expanded upon to some extent first?
  • Options
    eldryth1eldryth1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather have the classes be more flexible first. As far as I know though, we know nothing about Paragon Paths besides the fact they exist- so we may already have that. Right now I really want more info on that!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    eldryth1 wrote: »
    I'd rather have the classes be more flexible first. As far as I know though, we know nothing about Paragon Paths besides the fact they exist- so we may already have that. Right now I really want more info on that!

Yea, they exist, but you're just adding onto the same character. I doubt it does much more than give you new abilities that do the same thing. If you're a control wizard, you go into a paragon path, you're still a control wizard. You just added to your ability repertoire. Not really an expansion in class versatility.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Personally, I'd like to see as many classes represented first and then later expanded upon while also adding Multi-classing Feats and Hybridization. I'd rather not be pidgeon-holed into a few classes with several builds. I'd like to have many classes and then have them expanded and their individual builds represented.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I personally hope to see all of the PBH classes, with at least two builds each and meaningful choice in power and feat selection.

It sounds like I am talking about a full PHB analog. Close, but not quite. Some of what's in PHB is excessive. I'd say about 75% of that.

And yes, I know this game isn't 4e. That's why I said "analog" :)
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Personally, I'd like to see as many classes represented first and then later expanded upon while also adding Multi-classing Feats and Hybridization. I'd rather not be pidgeon-holed into a few classes with several builds. I'd like to have many classes and then have them expanded and their individual builds represented.

See, I like this idea. The problem then is that each class is built for only one thing, and when you see it, people already know exactly what you're gonna do, and they've probably already decided if they even want your class in their party.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm holding out hope that the polishing is to make the best classes possible and the ease to expand other classes and races as well as builds. I do know our feedback has been taken into account apparently with the working on the (now known) Devoted Cleric, and my sources say this is why testing is longer on it internally and they are still working to make a finished class ready for introduction like the fighter and wizard got.

This makes sense for if they were to introduce the cleric then change the powers, there could be cries of nerf or OP when that wasn't the issue at all and could be for issues of playability with its class. After all, it's the ONLY known class we have (so far) that can potentially heal others, so how this works alone could be part of the delay possibly. And then they have to worry about the regular "non healing" combat powers like all the other classes and somehow have an equal number of ready total powers.

That would make my head hurt too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    syfylissyfylis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    From a gameplay view it's all about skill build. Connecting of skills from 2 classes can be a good and bad thing in mmo game. Good one is that characters can be more balanced and all weak points of your class may not be such a problem when connected with other. Bad one is it can make game developer lazy in verry important place where everything have to be finish to high standards. Well designed skill build doesn't need a subclass.

There is also one important design principle. Less classes you create then more independent classes have to be.
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Prejt <<<<<<<<<<

33kel5d.jpg

My work: Heroes Blacksmith - Library
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?21051-Heroes-Blacksmith-Library
  • Options
    zylaxxzylaxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 591 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »

My sentiments exactly.

I am only interested in certain specific types of classes (Offensive Magic using Melee characters, prferebly ones with 2H'ed weapons) and if there is no class that suits me at release, I can honestly say I wont give this game a shot. Everything else about the game looks amazing but if I am forced to play a class I don't like until they introduce a new class will just kill me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Character is what a man is in the dark
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    zylaxx wrote: »
    My sentiments exactly.

I am only interested in certain specific types of classes (Offensive Magic using Melee characters, prferebly ones with 2H'ed weapons) and if there is no class that suits me at release, I can honestly say I wont give this game a shot. Everything else about the game looks amazing but if I am forced to play a class I don't like until they introduce a new class will just kill me.

While I agree with this in theory, my concern is that while we have lets say 14 classes after a while, I'm afraid that they'll make half of those classes feel like they should be second tiers to the original 7 released. That is to say, instead of having 14 classes, it feels more like 7, with 2 builds to each. Where you can play a warlock or a sorcerer, I wonder if they won't accidentally make warlock feel more like a variation of a sorcerer instead of it's own class. In which case, I would have been happier if they'd just made 2 variations of sorcerer instead of giving me 2 "classes" which play the same way. Seems like a cheap way of telling us, "Here's a new class!" Different animations and skins, but the same thing. NOT to say they would do this intentionally, but I've played other games where this was initially the case.
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I had discussed some of this, but from a different perspective in this post.

I don't mind the build approach that they have taken in and of itself. My greater concern is that we launch with so few build options. Of the classes we have and the builds we've heard about I'd like to see more, Great Weapon Fighter, Battle Cleric, Brawny Rogue, War Wizard and the rest of the 4e PHb 1 classes and builds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    I had discussed some of this, but from a different perspective in this post.

I don't mind the build approach that they have taken in and of itself. My greater concern is that we launch with so few build options. Of the classes we have and the builds we've heard about I'd like to see more, Great Weapon Fighter, Battle Cleric, Brawny Rogue, War Wizard and the rest of the 4e PHb 1 classes and builds.
    Most of the 4e audience will be sorely disappointed at the shallowness of mechanical customization in the current builds. My mantra is "it's only alpha, it's only alpha, it's only alpha,...".
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    Most of the 4e audience will be sorely disappointed at the shallowness of mechanical customization in the current builds. My mantra is "it's only alpha, it's only alpha, it's only alpha,...".

seconded. For the love of all that's...just give Drow an Underdark origin already to start.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited November 2012
    I'd rather have greater variation in classes than more classes. I like not knowing what to expect from a player despite his class.
  • Options
    varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    I'd rather have greater variation in classes than more classes. I like not knowing what to expect from a player despite his class.

I'm actually ok with either as long as each provides me with plenty of options. I look at a game like SWTOR, where there is the illusion of different options within the various classes, but I really felt most of them were rather shallow and not distinctive, let alone factional mirrors of each other. Of course SWG holds a soft spot in my heart for the sheer variety of options I had with my characters, but I'm not expecting that here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    I'm actually ok with either as long as each provides me with plenty of options. I look at a game like SWTOR, where there is the illusion of different options within the various classes, but I really felt most of them were rather shallow and not distinctive, let alone factional mirrors of each other. Of course SWG holds a soft spot in my heart for the sheer variety of options I had with my characters, but I'm not expecting that here.

Aye SWG in its prime was phenominal before its death of a 1000 mods.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    seconded. For the love of all that's...just give Drow an Underdark origin already to start.
    For a while there my Drow Rogue almost had an Uthgart Barbarian background :P
  • Options
    kellax3kellax3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    How 'bout dem Warlocks?
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    TWF Ranger
    Tempest Fighter
    Sorcerer
    "Chaser" or "Ninja" Avenger
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2012
    Merged two similar topic threads into this one to keep feedback on unreleased classes focused together.

Thanks,
    ~Zebular, PWE Community Moderator
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    My almost Uthgart Barbarian Drow thanks you :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    I want ghostwise halflings, they're just cool.
    <random post wasn't random until i realized i misread the title, classes not the same as races>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    freekimdotcomfreekimdotcom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2012
    Didn't read whole thread

I'm going to play before I judge, but from what information I have now, I don't like the character building aspect. Too simple, not flexible, there is nothing personal about your character.

But like I said, very little information and I'll give it a go before I drop it.
  • Options
    grimiz1978grimiz1978 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    any word on what the "coming soon" class is going to be?
    "It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything." Tyler Durden
  • Options
    milan83bgfmilan83bgf Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    next would be ranger archer class proly ...atm there is so many NPC's shooting arrows at our arsses right now :D
  • Options
    solthusx2solthusx2 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    milan83bgf wrote: »
    next would be ranger archer class proly ...atm there is so many NPC's shooting arrows at our arsses right now :D

Would be nice to return the favour;)

Although, those hellfire magi could use a taste of their own medicine as well:D
  • Options
    ageoffan123ageoffan123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    Doubt it will be for zen, if a specific class spec will outdo the original class then it forces everyone to go with the zen shop route = loss of customers who might use it for other things. I hope they just make it into a fairly long quest that gets harder and harder.
  • Options
    pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    grimiz1978 wrote: »
    any word on what the "coming soon" class is going to be?

This needed to be Necro'd why?
  • Options
    ooinnooinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It will probably be Druid.

Right now there is no Class that can 'gather' resources requiring the "Nature Kit or skill". Note "SKILL" part. Though this is generic text and just the 'kit name' is replaced based on which resource it is (Religion, Dungeon, Thief, Nature, or Arcane). It would be odd that Nature would be the only kit that every class would need to have.

You also have the 'god' (Forest Father) that would basically be the Deity for Druids.
    fs_pc.png
  • Options
    fwank2k9fwank2k9 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Woah, up from the dead, a thread rises.