test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fighter Sword and Shield only?

popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2013 in The Militia Barracks
I am not 100% up on the D&D 4e classes and it's been a long time since I played in the world of D&D specifically but I am a fan of the style with magic, dragons, swords and shields etc.

Can someone enlighten me. Is the Fighter limited to just the sword and shield or can they use two handers or dual wield as well? I am asking because in at least one of the videos they mentioned that each class will have an avoidance tactic (teleport for the wizard, roll/tumble for the rogue for example) and they mentioned it would be using the shield for the fighter. Logically this eludes to the fact that without one you have no avoidance tactic.

i guess my questions would be:

1. Are they sword and shield only?
2. If not, will there be (or what will be) there alternative for avoiding special damage attacks?

Maybe it will be a question that will be answered in due time but I was curious so I wanted to throw that out there.

Thanks in advance,

Cideus
Post edited by popsook69 on

Comments

• Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    In 4th edition you have other types of weapons and the like. In Neverwinter.....
    Honestly from what I have seen I am starting to get worried about the ability to customize our characters. I mean I have faith in cosmetic customization but...
    Someone chime in here.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Click on dev reply link on my sig and go through the dev post. Seach the thread for the word "scythe" and "great weapon fighter".

Even when character customization has not been discussed, that concern has since long been addressed by devs.
  • Options
    felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well after seeing every video i can find and reading every bit of information i can find on the game in my opinion there will be other types of fighters as the sword and shield belongs to the "Guardian Fighter" so presumably there will be other types of fighters, and i assume the dodge/block mechanic would change with what weapons they use, they could get dodges or maybe they'll block with a two handed sword or cross their dual sword to block or might get a roll/dive. Though nobody can answer this question with fact at the moment, just opinion/speculation. :)
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
  • Options
    felix1252felix1252 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Just to add i did see a video just now where the COO said there will be the great weapon fighter with a two handed axe lol
    Looking for a friendly english speaking EU Guild.
  • Options
    popsook69popsook69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    thanks guys. I think it makes sense that for different variation of fighters would have other options to mitigate/avoid damage, like the weapon block or roll like some of you have mentioned.

the Great Weapon Fighter mentioned sounds pretty cool if indeed it make it in for launch.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The devs have mentioned how "awesome" the "Greatweapon" fighter build is, but that build has not been demonstrated yet. So yes they can use other weapons, but builds may be "restricted" to certain swords and shields.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    The devs have mentioned how "awesome" the "Greatweapon" fighter build is, but that build has not been demonstrated yet. So yes they can use other weapons, but builds may be "restricted" to certain swords and shields.

Any build able to use scythe is awesome by definition.
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012

Is looking like guardian will be restricted too one hand swords and various shields, great weapon fighter looks like ti will be restricted to two handed weapons, I am hoping the martial classes will all have a two weapon fight option but I am feeling a little dubious about it and have this feeling that only "ranger" will have the twf option :/

It's all guesses on my part though and I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,847 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I was wondering something like this myself. As of yet, all i've heard is "Guardian fighter", "trickster rogue", and "control wizard". I was starting to worry the game would kind of bottle neck players into specific rolls unless of course they pay money for new classes, which frankly wouldn't surprise me with how STO and CO are going at the moment. A lot of unpopular decisions are being made and it makes me uneasy about how NW is going to turn out.
  • Options
    surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    According to the china NWO site there's also Devoted Cleric and I suspect Two-weapon Ranger is on it's way - guessing at the TBA class.

Hopefully a second build for each class will get released not too long after go-live... Or maybe even in beta.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    According to the china NWO site there's also Devoted Cleric and I suspect Two-weapon Ranger is on it's way - guessing at the TBA class.

Hopefully a second build for each class will get released not too long after go-live... Or maybe even in beta.

I know Mapolis almost went ga-ga over the Great Weapon fighter, so it eventually will come out. And I'm betting I will get all their weapons...when playing a wizard solo of course.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I bet 100 euros that there will be a tempest fighter, maybe in a second time.
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »
    I'd say maybe third round...
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I know Mapolis almost went ga-ga ...

Gaga muhmamamara muim moh rump pah!

Oh wait! Is that crypticmapolis??? Really!!!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Gaga muhmamamara muim moh rump pah!

Oh wait! Is that crypticmapolis??? Really!!!

Now THERE'RE some costumes they can charge Zen for *buys...latex crown hat gold-plated chin guard multi-colored...bedazzled outfit and the red lingerie set if it includes the masks?* :) But skip the chest-spitting sparking brassiere please!

8186566568_0d32e6e6e9_m.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Hmm... is it bad that I'd buy that white crown full skin outfit for my priestess? The bearskin-cloak too... hmm :eek:
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    Hmm... is it bad that I'd buy that white crown full skin outfit for my priestess? The bearskin-cloak too... hmm :eek:
    You can keep the white crown and bearskin cloak. I will keep the rest of "pop priestess". m-kay?
  • Options
    aznlaznaznlazn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 44
    edited November 2012
    denkasaeba wrote: »

Fourth time please, I'd love to make a Dwarven Battlerager. Pretty please?
    ;)
  • Options
    denkasaebadenkasaeba Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    aznlazn wrote: »
    Fourth time please, I'd love to make a Dwarven Battlerager. Pretty please?
    ;)

Heh, ok ;) Even if the tempest fighter is so good... (Well, the whole class is probably the best in 4e)
    Dilige, et quod vis fac (Love, and do what you will)

St. Augustinus
  • Options
    vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Oh oh. How about a buckler and war club combo.
    CS92PGS.jpg
    buckler_glove_spike_iron_shield.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Oh oh. How about a buckler and war club combo.
    CS92PGS.jpg
    buckler_glove_spike_iron_shield.jpg

*Orders 4 regular and 1 Halfling sized.*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Check out the Neverwinter Gameplay Demo Gamescom 2012 - ESL TV at around 20:00.

Looks like Great Weapon Fighter will be in at some time. Another PHB fighter build!
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    19:56 and with a Two-Handed axe you say Craig?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    If you look at around 8:00 for the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNMqSWF1aU

He talks about the "utility" powers = Dodge for Trickster Rogue, Teleport for Control Wizard and Block for Guardian Fighter.

My question is this - Will the Guardian Fighter's Block utility power have a cooldown between activations, or, will it have a time limit (i.e. Block only works for 3 seconds before automatically shuts off), or, will Block be usable with no time limit and no cooldown? I only ask due to the presentation on this vid noting that the Control Wizard does have a cooldown for his teleport.

I am hoping the Guardian Fighter's Block ability has no cooldown and no time limit, but based on what was said about the Rogue and Wizard's utility powers, I just don't know. It does seem realistic to think that the Guardian Fighter should be able to block indefinitely and block anytime the player wants.

Your thoughts on this issue?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    ruikesan85ruikesan85 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I think i've seen a few videos where the block was used rather quickly and didn't seem to fade from being held, it just locks out your attacks. </speculation>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    If you look at around 8:00 for the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vNMqSWF1aU

He talks about the "utility" powers = Dodge for Trickster Rogue, Teleport for Control Wizard and Block for Guardian Fighter.

My question is this - Will the Guardian Fighter's Block utility power have a cooldown between activations, or, will it have a time limit (i.e. Block only works for 3 seconds before automatically shuts off), or, will Block be usable with no time limit and no cooldown? I only ask due to the presentation on this vid noting that the Control Wizard does have a cooldown for his teleport.

I am hoping the Guardian Fighter's Block ability has no cooldown and no time limit, but based on what was said about the Rogue and Wizard's utility powers, I just don't know. It does seem realistic to think that the Guardian Fighter should be able to block indefinitely and block anytime the player wants.

Your thoughts on this issue?

This video (at about 1:57 mark), the guy describes how the blocking mechanic will work. He will describe the blocking mechanic as a block meter that fills up when you do attacks and deplete when you use block to absorb/deflect damage.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xs8lf_xJbsQ
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    I will confirm this as correct it is metered and when runs out the blocking ends. I like it over twich reactions.

Maybe this will show up elsewhere on other classes too?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    surf13 wrote: »
    Check out the Neverwinter Gameplay Demo Gamescom 2012 - ESL TV at around 20:00.

Looks like Great Weapon Fighter will be in at some time. Another PHB fighter build!

Just for discussion purposes...what type of Utility power would a Great Weapon Fighter have?

Let's have a look see at the others first:
    Guardian Fighter - Block power
    Rogue - Roll/Dodge power
    Wizard - Teleport power
    Great Weapon Fighter - ???

Maybe ....

Great Weapon Fighter - Weapon Parry (What? It could happen...)

Any thoughts on this?

Edit:
    I just found this.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-16-cryptics-neverwinter-for-early-2013-looks-in-good-shape

It is from August 2012, but it does show a "bulky" Fighter holding a large two-handed sword and taking out mobs with a very wide cleaving motion (at 00:48), and, it shows the Fighter hefting a massive sword on his right shoulder (from 01:06 to 01:08).

...Anyway...Something to ponder...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    edited December 2012
    Glowering Threat or maybe Boundless Endurance would be quite thematic...
    Glowering Threat (HotFL) - ...Wow. A nice area of effect, and a penalty that puts most marks to shame (bear in mind that it does requre training in Intimidate, and that it stacks with your mark penalty). A very strong choice, and recommended for the majority of Fighters.
    Boundless Endurance (PHB) - A Daily Stance for a formidable amount of regeneration while bloodied. One of the better emergency buttons you can have as a Con-based Fighter, though it does compete for what will soon be a crowded slot.
  • Options
    aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    I just had a brainwave. We need a polearm fighter! Or even better, a guardian fighter variant you can form a phalanx with!