test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mechanism for RMT between users

giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
edited November 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Hello,

PWE has stated that the Foundry will allow Zen transfers between users but not Real Money. This is absurd, what is Zen but a layer of abstraction above money itself.

Anyway, a simple workaround is to accumulate your Zen and then transfer it to a new F2P account and then sell that account that is full of Zen to someone else, this would require someone to be wanting much Zen though.

The easier solution is for PWE to simply allow RMT between users ingame. Do you think RMT are good or bad?
Post edited by giggliato on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    giggliato wrote: »
    ... This is absurd, what is Zen but a layer of abstraction above money itself.
    I am not sure but I think the answer to this question should be the question - Can you redeem zen to give you real money? If the answer is no, then this is not a real money transaction - as player giving zen would be the same as giving an in game item to other player.
    If answer is yes, your concern is then valid.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No absolutely not, RMT is very very bad.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hello,

PWE has stated that the Foundry will allow Zen transfers between users but not Real Money. This is absurd, what is Zen but a layer of abstraction above money itself.

Anyway, a simple workaround is to accumulate your Zen and then transfer it to a new F2P account and then sell that account that is full of Zen to someone else, this would require someone to be wanting much Zen though.

The easier solution is for PWE to simply allow RMT between users ingame. Do you think RMT are good or bad?

1. No you can never redeem ZEN for actual cash (at this time.) Unlike things (such as Second life and Linden Dollars) that allow you to gather in game currency to cash in possibly for real money, that option is not done here or (to the best of my knowledge) by any PWE game.
    2. Are you sure they said ZEN and Not Astral Diamonds can be transfered? Where does it state this please no matter what in-game currency it is?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zorbanezorbane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I'm pretty sure we won't be transfering Zen.

In STO you give dilithium tips to authors
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Check out my Foundry missions:
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    Untitled Series - Duritanium Man - The Improbable Bulk - [WIP] Commander Rihan
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Don't you use Zen to purchase dilithium? or astral diamonds? or whatever artificial construct PWE uses to bypass the legalities of RMT?
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Wait was is the purpose of all of this? If this is for the sake of selling a fee account with a bunch of money sunk into it I think that is a practice that needs to be shunned not embraced.....
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    I am not sure what the OP was quite trying to say, but PWE and crytpic games that use zen have mechanisms that you can sell zen for ingame currency or sell in game currency for zen (or equivalent), which I think negates any need to buy an account with zen unless you undercutting what PWE sell it for? which would not be that great.
    Or maybe he was just thinking of how you can transfer zen from one account to another?

Not sure but I think the trade option will mean this is not so likely?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    lyfebane wrote: »
    I am not sure what the OP was quite trying to say, but PWE and crytpic games that use zen have mechanisms that you can sell zen for ingame currency or sell in game currency for zen (or equivalent), which I think negates any need to buy an account with zen unless you undercutting what PWE sell it for? which would not be that great.
    Or maybe he was just thinking of how you can transfer zen from one account to another?

You cannot transfer Zen from account to account in STO.
    The only way to transfer Dilithium between Accounts/Players is through the Dilithium Exchange and it is set up so that all Dilithium or Zen put into the Market sits in a Pool, so you cannot directly buy Dilithium or Zen from any specific player.

It goes like this:
    1) Someone buys Zen for Real Money.
    2) They transfer the Zen into their STO Subscription via the Web Site.
    3) They Deposit the Zen into the Dilithium Exchange.
    4) A player makes a bid on Zen for X-Ammount of Dilithium per Zen and their Dilithium is deposited into the Exchange.
    5) When that bid is met by the system, the Dilithium is transfered to the Zen seller and the Zen is transferred to the Dilithium Buyer.

This also works the same in reverse when selling Dilithium for X-Amount of Zen. You never are informed who's zen/dilithium you bought or who sold you the zen/dilithium.

For example, say I put 500 Zen on the market for 150 Dilithium Each. That 500 Zen will get put into a pool of the same denomination and value that I am selling it for that others have also set theirs for sale for.

There is no way to turn Zen into Real Money. There is no way to turn Dilithium into Real Money.

Dilithium can be earned In-Game by collecting "Unrefined Dilithium" through Daily Missions. That Unrefined Dilithium then has to be converted into Refined Dilithium, eg "Dilithium" in order to put up for sale on the market. Players are limited to converting 8,000 Unrefined Dilithium per day into Refined Dilithium. (Veteran Player Rewards ups this limit to 10,000)

You can buy things in game (not the Cash Shop) with Refined Dilithium. You cannot do anything with Unrefined Dilithium except to refine it.

Tips would be the only way to directly dive Dilithium or to a player specifically. If I recall correctly, there is a limit to this as well and I remember hearing about the in game tips in Neverwinter also having some sort of limit. I do not know for sure how this latter will work in Neverwinter however or what exactly we will be tipping players with in Neverwinter.

If someone can find the video where tipping was mentioned, a link would be greatly appreciated as I cannot find it or remember which video it was in.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    sorry i did not mean you could transfer from account to account, meant more why would you?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
    edited November 2012
    lyfebane wrote: »

Correct me if I am wrong here but I didn't think PWE actually sold its game item mall currency for in game currency and vice versa.

I'm pretty sure they allow PLAYERS to sell/buy the item mall currency for in game "gold" currency in a auction type mechanism, and doesn't this mean the rate of exchange varies depending on its availability?

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that how it was in the few PW game I have played.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kn0ckkn0ck Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    No absolutely not, RMT is very very bad.

Elaborate on why it is so bad?
    edited November 2012
    kn0ck wrote: »
    Elaborate on why it is so bad?

It's the ultimate pay 2 win, take a look at the recent diablo game.

Games are meant to be fun and a leisure not something you log into for 12hrs a day to try and earn a living. Should be pretty obvious.

If RMT was allowed in this game, it would pretty much guarantee I would never ever play it and assure my opinion about it and the company running it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    It's the ultimate pay 2 win, take a look at the recent diablo game.

Games are meant to be fun and a leisure not something you log into for 12hrs a day to try and earn a living. Should be pretty obvious.

If RMT was allowed in this game, it would pretty much guarantee I would never ever play it and assure my opinion about it and the company running it.

Games are everything to everyone, trying to force your conception of what a game is onto someone else is folly.

p.s. There is no win in an MMO, there is only progression.
    edited November 2012
    Games are everything to everyone, trying to force your conception of what a game is onto someone else is folly.

I'm not trying to "force" anything. Discussiion like these are pointless.

I could equally say YOU are trying to "force your opinion" of what a game is on me by telling me my view is wrong.

Your very argument doesn't allow you to defend your point without breaking it and thereby we get into a im right your wrong type discussion.

My OPINION is that games are meant to be fun, not something you can earn a living in, unless your a dev or part of the company etc. You don't need to agree but I still will not touch anything that has RMT with a ten foot pole.

Trying to tell me HOW I SHOULD VIEW something OR trying to tell me what MY opinion should be is the true folly.

I will let you in on a secret EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE tries to "label" or "force" their opinion on others in all aspect of life. Look back at history and you will see we all do it in one fashion or another. Heh just look at your local "honorable politicians" . Heh better yet just look at your first sentence in your post.

Ultimately PWE will decide what Neverwinter Online "should be" and we can only try to "force" our view on them though the word i would use is "convince"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I think you mean Astral Diamond tipping? If so then it's in this video around the 22:55 mark
    zebular wrote: »
    You cannot transfer Zen from account to account in STO.
    The only way to transfer Dilithium between Accounts/Players is through the Dilithium Exchange and it is set up so that all Dilithium or Zen put into the Market sits in a Pool, so you cannot directly buy Dilithium or Zen from any specific player.

It goes like this:
    1) Someone buys Zen for Real Money.
    2) They transfer the Zen into their STO Subscription via the Web Site.
    3) They Deposit the Zen into the Dilithium Exchange.
    4) A player makes a bid on Zen for X-Ammount of Dilithium per Zen and their Dilithium is deposited into the Exchange.
    5) When that bid is met by the system, the Dilithium is transfered to the Zen seller and the Zen is transferred to the Dilithium Buyer.

This also works the same in reverse when selling Dilithium for X-Amount of Zen. You never are informed who's zen/dilithium you bought or who sold you the zen/dilithium.

For example, say I put 500 Zen on the market for 150 Dilithium Each. That 500 Zen will get put into a pool of the same denomination and value that I am selling it for that others have also set theirs for sale for.

There is no way to turn Zen into Real Money. There is no way to turn Dilithium into Real Money.

Dilithium can be earned In-Game by collecting "Unrefined Dilithium" through Daily Missions. That Unrefined Dilithium then has to be converted into Refined Dilithium, eg "Dilithium" in order to put up for sale on the market. Players are limited to converting 8,000 Unrefined Dilithium per day into Refined Dilithium. (Veteran Player Rewards ups this limit to 10,000)

You can buy things in game (not the Cash Shop) with Refined Dilithium. You cannot do anything with Unrefined Dilithium except to refine it.

Tips would be the only way to directly dive Dilithium or to a player specifically. If I recall correctly, there is a limit to this as well and I remember hearing about the in game tips in Neverwinter also having some sort of limit. I do not know for sure how this latter will work in Neverwinter however or what exactly we will be tipping players with in Neverwinter.

If someone can find the video where tipping was mentioned, a link would be greatly appreciated as I cannot find it or remember which video it was in.

Careful you two, this is getting close to flaming level.

I'm not trying to "force" anything. Discussiion like these are pointless.

I could equally say YOU are trying to "force your opinion" of what a game is on me by telling me my view is wrong.

Your very argument doesn't allow you to defend your point without breaking it and thereby we get into a im right your wrong type discussion.

My OPINION is that games are meant to be fun, not something you can earn a living in, unless your a dev or part of the company etc. You don't need to agree but I still will not touch anything that has RMT with a ten foot pole.

Trying to tell me HOW I SHOULD VIEW something OR trying to tell me what MY opinion should be is the true folly.

I will let you in on a secret EVERYONE and I mean EVERYONE tries to "label" or "force" their opinion on others in all aspect of life. Look back at history and you will see we all do it in one fashion or another. Heh just look at your local "honorable politicians" . Heh better yet just look at your first sentence in your post.

Ultimately PWE will decide what Neverwinter Online "should be" and we can only try to "force" our view on them though the word i would use is "convince"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    I think you mean Astral Diamond tipping? If so then it's in this video around the 22:55 mark

There it is, thank you!
    edited November 2012
    So?

The users are the devs, at least we will have access to a content generation toolset that is if not equal to what the original devs have it will be at least good enough.

The pros of RMT far outweigh the cons IMO. I play games for fun too, perhaps my idea of fun is being paid to generate content??

Anyway, if someone needs a billion astral diamonds and someone else has an account just sitting there with a billion astral diamonds...
  • foxybatfoxybat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    The purpose of these faux RMT shenanigans is to try and prevent people from making actual cash from playing the game. Cash is the incentive that drives professional farmers/botters/scammers in several developing countries who in turn inflate the economy, camp resources in the open world, and and are the primary source of account "hackings" as they look for new players to rip items from / accounts to bot on until the ban hammer comes down. Rather than trying to fight the demand that so many people out there want to spend real money on advancing their game character, most modern MMOs are embracing it and trying to shift the supplier to actual players who could want extra cash shop currency. (Something a professional has no use for.)

I know players have long been opposed for RMT due to a "play for win" rationale, but the majority of companies do not really care about that. For them RMT has always been about the professional botters/scammers that mess up their game in other ways - the actions that generate the gold/items for RMT sale, not the sale itself. Siphoning some of that demand into legitimate cash shop trading is how more and more companies hope to reduce these antics.
    edited November 2012
    foxybat wrote: »
    The purpose of these faux RMT shenanigans is to try and prevent people from making actual cash from playing the game. Cash is the incentive that drives professional farmers/botters/scammers in several developing countries who in turn inflate the economy, camp resources in the open world, and and are the primary source of account "hackings" as they look for new players to rip items from / accounts to bot on until the ban hammer comes down. Rather than trying to fight the demand that so many people out there want to spend real money on advancing their game character, most modern MMOs are embracing it and trying to shift the supplier to actual players who could want extra cash shop currency. (Something a professional has no use for.)

I know players have long been opposed for RMT due to a "play for win" rationale, but the majority of companies do not really care about that. For them RMT has always been about the professional botters/scammers that mess up their game in other ways - the actions that generate the gold/items for RMT sale, not the sale itself. Siphoning some of that demand into legitimate cash shop trading is how more and more companies hope to reduce these antics.

Nail on the head for me.

And if the game offer a non RMT built in-game cash option like Astral diamonds instead I can use IG or exchange for Zen to buy other stuff from game store that's fine with me too. It's when we get that fine line crossed and it becomes a "profession" with RMT, then we get the farmers that never leave. And speaking as a crusader who helped bring down the plat farmers in DDO behind the scenes, I saw how bad it got.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    If Astral diamonds are anything like Dilithium in STO they won't be tradable, therefore no way for gold farmers to sell it. If people wanted to use money to acquire astral diamonds they could purchase Zen from Perfect World and trade it for astral diamonds through an in game "Astral Diamond Exchange".

EDIT:

To clarify by the exchange. The way it works in STO is players put their dilithium up for exchange for Zen (or vice versa) so the trading is all between people.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Standalone - The Great Escape - The Galaxy's Fair - Purity I: Of Denial - Return to Oblivion
    edited November 2012
    zorbane wrote: »
    If Astral diamonds are anything like Dilithium in STO they won't be tradable, therefore no way for gold farmers to sell it. If people wanted to use money to acquire astral diamonds they could purchase Zen from Perfect World and trade it for astral diamonds through an in game "Astral Diamond Exchange".

EDIT:

To clarify by the exchange. The way it works in STO is players put their dilithium up for exchange for Zen (or vice versa) so the trading is all between people.

All I have to say is...what is that Avatar from, it's awesome?!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    All I have to say is...what is that Avatar from, it's awesome?!

I found it years ago when Microsoft tried to make comic book style heroes for all of its software. It's pretty much disappeared from the internet now, all I could find is a "newer" version - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa740358.aspx

I picked Visual Studios guy because I use it at work lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    zorbane wrote: »
    I found it years ago when Microsoft tried to make comic book style heroes for all of its software. It's pretty much disappeared from the internet now, all I could find is a "newer" version - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/aa740358.aspx

I picked Visual Studios guy because I use it at work lol

So you you and I using Avatars of long-gone sites.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lorddevilkunlorddevilkun Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2012
    I don't see the problem. If I buy a bunch of astrals with real money to sell to someone else for real money, where's the market? Why buy from some 3rd party when you can easily, safely buy it from the company? I get that- maybe you think you can buy for 10 bucks 50 astrals, then sell those astrals for 1 gold each, then sell 50 gold for 15 bucks, etc.... but I think if someone's willing to buy stuff anyway- they're not going to risk being hacked, cheated, banned, etc... by going to an illegitimate site when they can buy it online.

I see much more market in mmos from what can't be bought with real money from the company- gear, generally currency (though if astrals are sellable, why would people buy gold from sites when they can buy astrals then just sell them- like how GW2 does it), and of course hacked accounts.

It's not so much that this is non-issue, more that it is a small issue overshadowed by all the other things gold farmers/hacker sites bring to mmos- and I'd think if the company offers most of the things people want to buy themselves it should prevent a good chunk of the buying population and thus the sellers too.
    edited November 2012
    I don't see the problem. If I buy a bunch of astrals with real money to sell to someone else for real money, where's the market? Why buy from some 3rd party when you can easily, safely buy it from the company? I get that- maybe you think you can buy for 10 bucks 50 astrals, then sell those astrals for 1 gold each, then sell 50 gold for 15 bucks, etc.... but I think if someone's willing to buy stuff anyway- they're not going to risk being hacked, cheated, banned, etc... by going to an illegitimate site when they can buy it online.

I see much more market in mmos from what can't be bought with real money from the company- gear, generally currency (though if astrals are sellable, why would people buy gold from sites when they can buy astrals then just sell them- like how GW2 does it), and of course hacked accounts.

It's not so much that this is non-issue, more that it is a small issue overshadowed by all the other things gold farmers/hacker sites bring to mmos- and I'd think if the company offers most of the things people want to buy themselves it should prevent a good chunk of the buying population and thus the sellers too.

Legalese warning.

The Terms of Service Section 5 states they own their "in-game currency" in the game:
    5. Proprietary Rights

PWE is the owner of the Website, the Games, the Software and the Service, which are protected by US and international law including copyright laws. All rights and title in and to the Website, the Game, the Software and the Service, all features and content thereof (including without limitation any user accounts, titles, computer code, files, game software, client and server software, tools, patches, updates, themes, objects, characters, character names, stories, storylines, objects, content, text, dialogue, catch phrases, themes, locations, concepts, artwork, designs, graphics, pictures, video, animation, sounds, music, musical, compositions, sound recordings, audio-visual effects, information, data, documentation, , "applets", chat transcripts, character profile information, game play, and recordings ) and the selection and arrangement thereof (collectively the "Proprietary Materials") are the proprietary property of PWE or its licensors and are protected by U.S. and international copyright and other proprietary rights laws. In the event that you make any modifications, adaptations or derivative works of any kind to the Proprietary Materials (the "Modifications"), whether authorized or unauthorized, you understand and agree that you shall retain no rights of any kind in and to such Modifications and that all rights therein shall belong solely to PWE. You hereby assign and transfer to PWE, without any compensation, any and all rights you may have in and to such Modifications.

As well as Section 17 states the ZEN has no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash (in any exchange form it ends up, including transferred to third parties: )
    17. Fees

PWE may charge fees to access and acquire certain game items or participate in game activities on the Website and may allow the purchase of in game "points" that may be applied to the purchase of in game items or activities ("Zen") ANY APPLICABLE ZEN, FEES AND OTHER CHARGES ARE PAYABLE IN ADVANCE AND ARE NON REFUNDABLE AND NONTRANSFERABLE, IN WHOLE OR IN PART, FOR ANY REASON. ZEN HAVE NO MONETARY VALUE AND CANNOT BE REDEEMED FOR CASH. PWE may, from time to time, modify, amend, or supplement its fees, billing methods and terms applicable to Zen or to any purchases on the Website, and post those changes in these Terms, in separate Terms of Sale or in other terms or agreements posted on the Website or otherwise provided to you by PWE. Such modifications, amendments, supplements or Terms of Sale shall be effective immediately upon posting on the Website and shall be incorporated by reference into these Terms. If any change is unacceptable to you, you may cancel your account at any time.
    If you claim a chargeback for any reason, we have the right to investigate and dispute such chargeback. If we believe that your chargeback requirement is spurious, unreasonable, or invalid, we may take the dispute to court. If your chargeback is deemed invalid, you agree to pay for all fees and costs resulting from the disputed chargeback, including but is not limited to legal fees and expenses, damages, monies lost due to non-operation, and chargeback fees.

In game currency is the property of PWE and its sale for money if ever done is at their sole discretion. While you are allowed to trade with no problem for Zen/game items/other future in game currency or other stuff by their permission, they will enforce third party people making profit off of their work (including in-game currency,) which leads to botters, spammers and farmers if left unchecked. This "cost" actually is a payment for a service which is accessing items.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lorddevilkunlorddevilkun Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2012
    Legalese warning.

The Terms of Service Section 5 states they own their "in-game currency" in the game:

As well as Section 17 states the ZEN has no cash value and cannot be redeemed for cash (in any exchange form it ends up, including transferred to third parties: )

In game currency is the property of PWE and its sale for money if ever done is at their sole discretion. While you are allowed to trade with no problem for Zen/game items/other future in game currency or other stuff by their permission, they will enforce third party people making profit off of their work (including in-game currency,) which leads to botters, spammers and farmers if left unchecked. This "cost" actually is a payment for a service which is accessing items.

Seems reasonable and common practice , and I'm not disputing that. I'm merely saying that by having a their own currency be purchasable like this- people will spend money with PWE because it's safe, over buying those same things from a 3rd party, which is why I think it should actually reduce botting/farming, etc... Though of course, no matter what, those types will always infiltrate and get their grubby paws everywhere.

I wasn't so much agreeing with any methods- just theorizing on the reasoning behind buying/not buying- which includes all the dangers like identity theft, bans, lawsuits, hacks, viruses, etc.... that come from dealing with farming websites. Naturally, farming sites which don't care about PWE's terms because they're here to make money, not to care about what's legal or not.

So, I did like your answer :)
    edited November 2012
    Well I'm confused now, but at any rate someone might end up with a bunch of currency that they don't need if they create a good quest.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    They will need it to buy more slots for their quests, especially if they don't play the game.
    edited November 2012
    So you you and I using Avatars of long-gone sites.

I guess so! What's yours?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • paddymaxsonpaddymaxson Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 87
    edited November 2012
    This isn't RMT.

If Zen is only obtainable by paying money, this is gifting someone some ingame currency, that's VERY different, it's not even the same as giving someone an ingame item. I like it, DDO kind of suffers from me not being able to securely buy Turbine points for friends.