test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Online Q&A (For Everybody)

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Moved to Q&A thread.
    People, I made my FAQ for a reason. Do peruse it frequently, as this questioned was answered months ago.

See this section here:

What about Alignment? How does that work in the 4E game? How does it work in this MMO?

Again, all D&D Game Rules will be this color, while Gameplay Control and UI Information will be this color.
    Regarding alignment in the 4E Tabletop or PnP system, this archived post quote explains the basics best.
    Alignments in 4e are as follows:

Lawful Good
    Good
    Evil
    Chaotic Evil
    Unaligned
    Unaligned does not mean Neutral. It basically means you haven't chosen a team or that you, as a player, just don't want to use alignment. 4e is big on not enforcing alignments, with the only game element I know of that depends on alignment being if you are a Divine power source character that worships a deity. In that case you have to choose a deity that is the same alignment as yourself. There are no rules-based penalties for violating your alignment and there are really no rules about forced alignment changes either.

While this quote from a post where I clarified the game mechanics on Alignment and Factions based on an unchanged position since 2011 explains they are not used in the game.
    As for used in this game:
    From the How Many Factions Will Neverwinter Have? thread.
    Pretty much, it was confirmed waaaay back in a 2011 Neverending Nights article I don't even remember that gillrmn re-quoted once:
    NeN: ... What about Alignment? Will selecting an Alignment be available? And will it impact how NPCs within the game interact with you? Or will there be Factions within the game that you can gain or lose favor with?
    JE: Neither alignment nor factions play a role in Neverwinter.
    that alignments were not going to be used in this gaming system, and this position has not changed since. Of course I welcome any Developer update on alignment if applicable.
    If this position should ever change, it will be updated in the FAQ.

I'm sorry but all I can say about the article is what they meant is you'll be meeting important groups influencing Neverwnnter's fate but not at the very beginning of the story. Details are in certain novels and campaign settings, but I couldn't mention the main quest-line details if I knew them even as that would be spoilers.

ryvvik wrote: »
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/neverwinter/b/pc/archive/2012/10/31/neverwinter-interview-what-to-expect-in-the-upcoming-mmo.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

by Matt Miller on October 31

"There are not factions that you make immediate decisions about at the beginning of the game; you are not of the Horde or Alliance faction or something like that, everyone comes into Neverwinter basically answering the call of an adventurer to explore and help the city, so it?s equal footing there.

But there are some factions and groups that you might join up with? is that how it would work?

We haven't specifically started talking about in what ways there might be other faction related stuff yet."

Sorry Zeb, Truth, Amb, this may need to be moved to Q and A thread

Okay, Andy meant they haven't "introduced" the races like they did when they revealed the details. The other ones are still in the game. Poor wording there.
    adaram648 wrote: »
    Interesting ... from the article (emphasis added):

Now, taken from the main "Race" page for the forums Here, they mention Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling.

The interviewee seems to have added Halfling and removed Dwarf and Tiefling ... can anyone confirm if this is true, or, if it's just an error by GameInformer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dudeman3kdudeman3k Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Despite all my search efforts and reading through all of the Q&A's.... I did not see a single question OR mention of multi-classing (which , in my opinion, is what makes DnD different *and better* from the rest of the RPG genre) ....

so is there multi-Classing? or are we expected to slave with "variants" and cookie cutter builds?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    4th Edition "Multi-classing" is far different than previous editions. Instead of taking a class, you choose a "Multi-Cass Feat" that allows you to start gaining the Feats and Powers of other classes. At this time, there has been no word on how this, or if it will, work in Neverwinter.

Check out this article for more information: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20080430a
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    dudeman3k wrote: »
    Despite all my search efforts and reading through all of the Q&A's.... I did not see a single question OR mention of multi-classing (which , in my opinion, is what makes DnD different *and better* from the rest of the RPG genre) ....

so is there multi-Classing? or are we expected to slave with "variants" and cookie cutter builds?

Well maybe you missed a few Q&A's...

What is Multi-Classing and/or Hybrid Classes? Will they be in Neverwinter also?

Updated 10/12/2012: Multi-classing and Hybrid classes as related to the Fourth Edition Tabletop game is explained in detail at the link here and a multi-class summary here. However, at the time of this entry, these features were not converted over to Neverwinter Online.

(Note: This answer will be updated if we receive new information.)

What about Paragon Paths?

Update 10/12/2012: So Far, we have exceptionally limited information on this, but it seems it will be handled in a "talent tree" format like many MMO games; once you get to a specific level, you are awarded and spend "points" to build up your chosen Paragon Path. We don't know how many paths one can choose from yet or it it's only linked to the class, but we have video of the Spellstorm Mage at 7:00 from this Athene video talking to Andy Velasquez.

Feel free to ask if something is in my FAQ. It's in that stickied location in this Neverwinter Discussion section and is also linked in my signature.

I also made this Q&A stickied thread for questions. Feel free to ask there (now here) in the future which I moved this thread to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Also, what was multiclass in 3e is more like hybrid in 4e where you "hybridize" with another class of your choice. However, you will not retain all starting abilities(feats, bonus etc.) of both classes but only some from both.

Thus you will not get unfair advantage by hybrid from two classes and will be as strong as (or weaker) as a pure class.
  • lorddekar82lorddekar82 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Questing Question:

I know in DDO the quests had a lvl assigned to it and as you completed it you unlocked a harder version of the quest which was set to a higher lvl. For example, a lvl 1 quest could be done on easy then you could run on normal which would make it a lvl 2 quest and then on hard which would make it a lvl 3 quest, which allowed you to run a lower lvl quest several times without out lvling it. Thus enabling a lvl 4 char to run a lvl 1 quest on hard mode and still get exp rewards and good loot but once that player turned lvl 5 was to high for the quest and no longer received good exp from the quest run.

I believe the quests in this game will have lvls assigned to them as well, first off will the quests be repeatable and if they are will there be difficulty lvls for the quest like easy, normal, hard. Also, if a quest is labelled as lvl 4 can a lvl 8 char still do it and gain normal exp and rewards or will they be less than normal due to lvl difference.
    edited November 2012
    Questing Question:

I know in DDO the quests had a lvl assigned to it and as you completed it you unlocked a harder version of the quest which was set to a higher lvl. For example, a lvl 1 quest could be done on easy then you could run on normal which would make it a lvl 2 quest and then on hard which would make it a lvl 3 quest, which allowed you to run a lower lvl quest several times without out lvling it. Thus enabling a lvl 4 char to run a lvl 1 quest on hard mode and still get exp rewards and good loot but once that player turned lvl 5 was to high for the quest and no longer received good exp from the quest run.

I believe the quests in this game will have lvls assigned to them as well, first off will the quests be repeatable and if they are will there be difficulty lvls for the quest like easy, normal, hard. Also, if a quest is labelled as lvl 4 can a lvl 8 char still do it and gain normal exp and rewards or will they be less than normal due to lvl difference.

The reason for that was lack of content. I remember that from earliest of days there had been demand for content which was not met by cryptic (though new updates have quite a lot of content). They had to make everybody do the same quest over and over. I hope that there is enough content so that I don't have to repeat a quest I have already done again.

Instanced quest:-
    The instanced quests will be scalable - that is an encounter will increase its difficulty level based on your level. So if a quest s designed to be easy - it will be easy for all. If it is designed to be tough - it will be tough for all.
    Thus if I make a foundry quest, and put elite encounters ambush as soon as you step in the quest - I can make "elite" difficulty quest which will remain "elite" whether you are level 1 or level 20.
    Or I can make it easy so that you can kill all mosters with a hand tied behind your back irrespective of your level.

Open areas:- Open areas will have set monsters of particular level. So if you are level 8 and want to get killed by level 30 beholder, go to the level 30 open area location and fight the beholder :p
    Or you are level 30 and want to kill level 1 rats, go to level 1 open area and kill rats by sneezing at them.
  • lorddekar82lorddekar82 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    That sounds awesome, I never really enjoyed having to repeat all the quests especially since they kept track of which quests you did and on what difficulty made me feel like I had to have them all done on the hardest difficulty just for my completion-itis. Also I love the idea of scalling the quests to your lvl that is just genius :P

I just thought of another question, I remember one of the issues I had with playing my chars in ddo was that due to the fact that there are so many feats and ways to build your chars that I would build a char get them to lvl 8+ and realize I did it wrong or selected the wrong feats and would have to start over lol must have started my warrior like 6 times to just get the right build down. While I understand this is awesome for replay value I was hoping this game would have a way to reset the skills/feats you had taken at lvl up either in game or via a cash shop option.
    edited November 2012
    ... I was hoping this game would have a way to reset the skills/feats you had taken at lvl up either in game or via a cash shop option.

There should be a way to respec your character, I would be very surprized if there is not. This is because there is a way to do so in CO - another game of cryptic based on 'older' version of engine.

Hence even if there isn't at launch - it should be easy to add one at alter stage.

However, I am also sure that respecing your character (or resetting the character completely) would be a cash only item.
    edited November 2012
    If DDO is any indication, you'll likely get to do one respec for free and pay rare items/collectable items or in-game secondary currency (Astral Diamond for here) for future respecs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Questions are only allowed what can be discussed publicly, just a reminder.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Questions are only allowed what can be discussed publicly, just a reminder.

Hmm are we not allowed to speculate of a certain date if we have not received information and thus are not part of the club?

Consider when IN fight club the first rule is not to talk about fight club but if your not actually in fight club...does the rule actually apply lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    I heard a rumor that in the game in a tavern we hear about Drizzt Do'Urden and Barrabus the Gray. OMG please tell me we get to see them in the game. Im a huge fan of Neverwinter and Forgotten Realms and it would be absolutly awsome to see Drizzt and Barrabus in action in the game (as npc's ofcourse)!!!!
  • mandodo69mandodo69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Also the Foundry ordeal, will you be able to alter the world as well as make quests and such? Kind of like the The Elder Scrolls construction set you got way back when Morrowind came out? Or just quests and story?
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mandodo69 wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that in the game in a tavern we hear about Drizzt Do'Urden and Barrabus the Gray. OMG please tell me we get to see them in the game. Im a huge fan of Neverwinter and Forgotten Realms and it would be absolutly awsome to see Drizzt and Barrabus in action in the game (as npc's ofcourse)!!!!

According to the Neverwinter campaign guide there is supposed to be a camp in Neverwinter that Drizzt and Jarlaxle have used in the past. So there is a good chance we'll see some of these characters, STO has some pretty good cameos of Trek characters here and there and they have lots of likeness licensing issues to deal with to get those to happen, so I can imagine they'll be able to work with Salvatore to make a few cameos happen in Neverwinter.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    mandodo69 wrote: »
    Also the Foundry ordeal, will you be able to alter the world as well as make quests and such? Kind of like the The Elder Scrolls construction set you got way back when Morrowind came out? Or just quests and story?

I don't believe you'll be able to alter the persistent part of the game world. This being an MMO, that would be too much power to put at player's/author's finger tips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    It's been talked about publicly so I can say there will be persistent "zones" that have set enemies in level, and instances that have adjusting enemies based your your solo or group level at the time of entry (and technically can adjust should another player join you.) An example of the persistant zone would be that district where the tiefling wizard was battling orcs the Blackdagger zone or the players were battling werewolves. Those enemies are static. Any dungeons shown (but they could be outdoor if you zone out to a mission,) are instanced.

Foundry missions are currently only instanced, but it's wish-listed to make it possible to have persistent zoned Foundry assignments where communities could play.

Persistent maps remain a goal for the Foundry team, though I can't say weather this will be in at launch. From our early design discussions, we essentially want it to be a type of map you can publish that functions as a social map, but with contacts and doors that you can link other foundry quests to. This will allow authors to use persistent maps for a whole slew of purposes, from social maps to quest hubs to guild housing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    I don't believe you'll be able to alter the persistent part of the game world. This being an MMO, that would be too much power to put at player's/author's finger tips.

Like to add:-
    You cannot "alter" any official content. But you can create your own content.
    Hence, technically and theoretically it is possible to have persistent maps in the game world - without putting extra power in players hands.
  • dragoblackwingdragoblackwing Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9
    edited November 2012
    Not sure if this has been ask but being a action game, will there be an option to use a controller?
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2012
    Not sure if this has been ask but being a action game, will there be an option to use a controller?
    Check out this thread. ;)
  • ruinedmirageruinedmirage Member Posts: 440 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Will partying up be limited to those around the same level as you? What if I create a new lv1 character and want to join my lv60 friend for a quest? How would the enemies be scaled?
    edited November 2012
    Will partying up be limited to those around the same level as you? What if I create a new lv1 character and want to join my lv60 friend for a quest? How would the enemies be scaled?

No details on this have been revealed. But you might want to check out sidekick option of CO for possible scaling of enemies. As the engine is similar, it would be possible to implement that system in NW.
    edited November 2012
    Will there be any times when it's REQUIRED that you need the special skills of another class to progress? Like only the rogue class can find hidden doors, only wizards can activate this magic puzzle, only someone of ____ faith can enter this place, etc.?
    edited November 2012
    Will there be any times when it's REQUIRED that you need the special skills of another class to progress? Like only the rogue class can find hidden doors, only wizards can activate this magic puzzle, only someone of ____ faith can enter this place, etc.?
    It won't be so in official content as devs have said that it would be solo friendly. Hence only optional areas will be where specific class can enter.
    In foundry, it hasn't been revealed yet but they would also not like bad ratings. So the missions will have it in their description if something like that is there or it would be optional where solo has a difficult route while some particular class can use less tough route.
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure an evil Foundry author could make a trap-heavy module all but impossible to progress if rogues aren't in it (and can remove traps,) but see bad ratings. So far, I have absolutely never heard of any Cryptic mission "requiring" a class, but some places that don't have a balanced party have been said they would be very tough. And of course delves at the end of a location's "chapter" do require multiple people minimum, but no specific class types are required.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    I'm sure an evil Foundry author could make a trap-heavy module ....

For me evil foundry author means having probably just one trap in the game, but if you are unlucky enough to find that trap, you will panic and drink potion.
    So if you are having a tough combat, and you require mobility - but there is just one trap in the region which you trigger - you will become suspicious of the location and try not to be very mobile. The trap has served its purpose of tying you in. Something like that.

An evil foundry author who is good at traps, makes you you always find that trap...
    edited November 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    For me evil foundry author means having probably just one trap in the game, but if you are unlucky enough to find that trap, you will panic and drink potion.
    So if you are having a tough combat, and you require mobility - but there is just one trap in the region which you trigger - you will become suspicious of the location and try not to be very mobile. The trap has served its purpose of tying you in. Something like that.

An evil foundry author who is good at traps, makes you you always find that trap...

So, two traps then? ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    If I wanted to get caught up on the most recent D&D lore and 4.0 happenings, what are some good media I should check out (including books, games, websites, and movies)? Also, do you go strictly for canon lore, or do you suggest stuff like fanfics?

Actually, maybe this should go in the New User's FAQ...
    edited November 2012
    If I wanted to get caught up on the most recent D&D lore and 4.0 happenings, what are some good media I should check out (including books, games, websites, and movies)? Also, do you go strictly for canon lore, or do you suggest stuff like fanfics?

Actually, maybe this should go in the New User's FAQ...

Too much lore due to 100 year gap between 3e and 4e. I would say best way is drizzt novels till gauntylgyrm because this is an extension of gauntylgyrm novel by ra salvatore.
    After that, maybe 4e FR campaign setting and NW camapaign setting books. These should bring you up to date with a lot of lore relevant to this game.
  • anieanie22anieanie22 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    hi i have a question here.... is there going to be an archer type class here or similar play style?? or the wizards are the only range type? because i like playing my character with a bow or crossbow... and with some archer abilities or skills as well...