test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Online Q&A (For Everybody)

painy13painy13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
can someone tell me. beta started? if i buy in RaiderZ pack for 20$ i can play now?
Post edited by painy13 on

Comments

• gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    painy13 wrote: »
    can someone tell me. beta started? if i buy in RaiderZ pack for 20$ i can play now?
    You can ask the question in this thread.You can also pm one of the mods:-
    here
    zebular, iamtruthseeker, bubbabinsky, ambisinisterr
  • uniqueviluniquevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited October 2012
    hi the link for mac requirements in the 1st page is gone anyway to pos the link so i can prepare my mac for it?
    im running ddo with just minor issue like teleporting to dungeon failed just need to reclick
    so hoping my system is able to play this game when its out
    edited October 2012
    uniquevil wrote: »
    hi the link for mac requirements in the 1st page is gone anyway to pos the link so i can prepare my mac for it?
    im running ddo with just minor issue like teleporting to dungeon failed just need to reclick
    so hoping my system is able to play this game when its out
    There is no link for mac requirements and the old 'leaked' requirement for windows may have changed.

However speculative requirements are given on truthseeker's FAQ.
    What are the minimum system requirements?

Update: 6/23/2012: This information is not yet finalized, and is not guaranteed 100% accurate. Keep checking the official Neverwinter FAQ for current updates and more information.

CPU: 2GHz Dual Core processor
    RAM: 2GB RAM
    Video and Audio: GeForce 8800 GPU or equivalent, minimum resolution 1024x768, DirectX 9.0c
    HD Space: 10 GB

(Note: This answer will be updated as we receive new information.)
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    We Moderators have decided to make a new section (and moved a few old threads) where all members can ask questions, and anybody can answer about Neverwinter Online (or NWO for short.) This includes PWE and Cryptic employees wanting to ask any questions to the playerbase.

Unlike my New Users FAQ, this is for all members of all levels of experience. Of course Developers and PWE/Cryptic employees' answers trump everybody when it comes to this game's final answer, but consider this an "Entire Community Support" section not limited by things like "technical support" "User Interface (or UI) information" or "forum support" only. If it's related to this specific game, it can be asked here.

That written, off-topic conversations have the risk of being moved elsewhere in the forum (preferred,) have the non-relevant parts edited out, or could be outright deleted in its entirety. While we encourage information and discussion of all things, this section is about the Neverwinter MMO game (and all its members' questions and answers.) If something branches off from an answer, we'll be lenient to a point if it goes to a tangential connection (and will likely nudge the questions back to the questions and answers,) but if we start getting posts like "Why SWO should have had Wookie Groomers," that's when we hit the brakes. No offense to Wookies and their grooming, but that's clearly a non-NWO topic.

So don't post them here and you have been warned!

So without further ado, welcome to Neverwinter Online Q&A (For Everybody)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jadescimitarjadescimitar Member Posts: 716 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay first question that comes to mind

In EQ1, I remember a chat window in the middle lower of the screen and it was pretty much an integral part of my head's up display.

In all the videos I have seen there has been no chat section. Any idea where, how it's going to be implemented?

Just curious where I am going to continually type in my wise-cracks and bad jokes...

JS
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    | R. A. Salvatore | My Minions | Forgotten Realms Wiki | Elven Translator |
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Okay first question that comes to mind

In EQ1, I remember a chat window in the middle lower of the screen and it was pretty much an integral part of my head's up display.

In all the videos I have seen there has been no chat section. Any idea where, how it's going to be implemented?

Just curious where I am going to continually type in my wise-cracks and bad jokes...

JS

The default location likely will be the lower left corner and it can be "accessed" by hitting the return key or possibly mouse clicking on its location area. Since demos don't have any reason to show chat, this is why the window was in "invisible mode" Besides key-mapping any key or combo you want to "pop up" the window, the configuration allows you to move the HUD windows to any liking you wish as done in STO and CO programs. That default method (or the quickest at least) is often hitting the esc key and choosing that option, then moving the windows to wherever on the screen you like, including overlapping other windows, then exiting the move windows screen.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The default location likely will be the lower left corner and it can be "accessed" by hitting the return key or possibly mouse clicking on its location area. Since demos don't have any reason to show chat, this is why the window was in "invisible mode" Besides key-mapping any key or combo you want to "pop up" the window, the configuration allows you to move the HUD windows to any liking you wish as done in STO and CO programs. That default method (or the quickest at least) is often hitting the esc key and choosing that option, then moving the windows to wherever on the screen you like, including overlapping other windows, then exiting the move windows screen.

Indeed. If CO and STO are of any representation of how the UI will function, then it is safe to say we'll have a chat box as well as a UI that is thoroughly movable and customization, especially considering this is also on the Cryptic Engine which uses the same UI functionality.

I really like how much the UI customization has grown in both STO and CO and both are almost spot-on the same in regards to functionality, features and customization. I haven't seen anything that suggests that NWO would stray from this.

My main hope, in this regard to the UI, is that NWO comes built with a hot-key setting to toggle UI Custimization Mode. STO has been lacking this for far too long.
    edited October 2012
    Next question,

Okay so henchmen, hired npcs will be a part of soloing pc's parties; this has been discussed, but what about non grouped npc , can they be set to attack other non grouped npcs?

Say I want to create the scene in "Dancing with Devils..." Where after 30 seconds a group of hill giants crash into the clearing and start attacking everything insight not a giant in a certain set radius, Pc or non party npc alike.

Wonder if this is possible?
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
    This city promises death for the meek, glory for the bold, danger for all, and riches for Jade!
    Elven Trickster Rogue: Two-bladed elf, tons of stabby stabby and that sort of thing...
    edited October 2012
    Next question,

Okay so henchmen, hired npcs will be a part of soloing pc's parties; this has been discussed, but what about non grouped npc , can they be set to attack other non grouped npcs?

Say I want to create the scene in "Dancing with Devils..." Where after 30 seconds a group of hill giants crash into the clearing and start attacking everything insight not a giant in a certain set radius, Pc or non party npc alike.

Wonder if this is possible?

Actually since the conversion to MMO I have not heard anything specified about henchmen. Companions once but not henchmen. And it's not clear if you can have placed NPC's (in Foundry right) attack other NPCs. I think that's an excellent Dev question!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • girlbrushgirlbrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    Will there be opportunities for skill checks in NWO like during conversations and perceiving the environment? Not sure if this was ever covered.
    edited October 2012
    girlbrush wrote: »
    Will there be opportunities for skill checks in NWO like during conversations and perceiving the environment? Not sure if this was ever covered.

In one of the foundry videos with Andy "the bad" V, he mentioned skill checks "might be" incorporated in npc conversations but they haven't figured out how they wanted to do it yet
    Z2DEDiN.jpg
  • girlbrushgirlbrush Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    Cool, thanks for answering.
  • adaram648adaram648 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 366 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Actually since the conversion to MMO I have not heard anything specified about henchmen. Companions once but not henchmen. And it's not clear if you can have placed NPC's (in Foundry right) attack other NPCs. I think that's an excellent Dev question!

Just so I am clear on my understanding (nomenclature can be fun), I think what you are saying is that there is no knowledge of how this will actually work (henchmen or companions, or neither), but you do recall companions being mentioned since the conversion to MMO.

For clarity, I assume a henchman is a temporary party member that you would hire for a specific mission/task, and a companion would be a more permanent addition to your party (aka SWTOR)?

Thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    Just so I am clear on my understanding (nomenclature can be fun), I think what you are saying is that there is no knowledge of how this will actually work (henchmen or companions, or neither), but you do recall companions being mentioned since the conversion to MMO.

For clarity, I assume a henchman is a temporary party member that you would hire for a specific mission/task, and a companion would be a more permanent addition to your party (aka SWTOR)?

Thanks

Yep to all. Companion is like a combat pet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • thalazar1thalazar1 Member Posts: 163 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    two questions:

1) will we be able to multi-class?

2) will the be a window or space for us to create a short (500 character limit maybe) back story for our characters?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The Lost Keep NW-DS1XBAK7D An experiment Daily Foundry
    The Ruined Temple NW-DBHC7MUBL Latest and last one Daily Foundry
    edited October 2012
    thalazar1 wrote: »
    two questions:

1) will we be able to multi-class?

2) will the be a window or space for us to create a short (500 character limit maybe) back story for our characters?

Your post was moved to this thread. Please make sure all questions like this go to this thread or the New Users FAQ (if asking about something you read in or are requesting in that thread.)

From my New Users FAQ second section:
    What is Multi-Classing and/or Hybrid Classes? Will they be in Neverwinter also?

Updated 10/12/2012: Multi-classing and Hybrid classes as related to the Fourth Edition Tabletop game is explained in detail at the link here and a multi-class summary here. However, at the time of this entry, these features were not converted over to Neverwinter Online.

(Note: This answer will be updated if we receive new information.)

1) Multi class in Fourth edition is not the same as what was in First through third edition and could mean the Fourth edition Multi class or the Hybrid Class. At the time of this reply, neither are mentioned to be included in launch.

2) While no information has been specifically included at this time, every Cryptic game has included a biography section and Neverwinter Online should include one. If Star Trek Online is any guide a minimum 2000 character biography should be applicable.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    http://www.gameinformer.com/games/neverwinter/b/pc/archive/2012/10/31/neverwinter-interview-what-to-expect-in-the-upcoming-mmo.aspx?PostPageIndex=2

by Matt Miller on October 31

"There are not factions that you make immediate decisions about at the beginning of the game; you are not of the Horde or Alliance faction or something like that, everyone comes into Neverwinter basically answering the call of an adventurer to explore and help the city, so it’s equal footing there.

But there are some factions and groups that you might join up with – is that how it would work?

We haven’t specifically started talking about in what ways there might be other faction related stuff yet."

Sorry Zeb, Truth, Amb, this may need to be moved to Q and A thread
  • viledeeds77#8676 viledeeds77 Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Good find, nice article with lots of questions answered more definitivly. I also agree with the near to the bottom comment about class customizations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2012
    Interesting ... from the article (emphasis added):
    The races that we?ve publicly announced are Human, Elf, Drow, Halfling, and Half Elf. That?s one of those things ... <snip>

Now, taken from the main "Race" page for the forums Here, they mention Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling.

The interviewee seems to have added Halfling and removed Dwarf and Tiefling ... can anyone confirm if this is true, or, if it's just an error by GameInformer?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    adaram648 wrote: »
    Interesting ... from the article (emphasis added):

Now, taken from the main "Race" page for the forums Here, they mention Human, Half-Elf, Elf, Drow, Dwarf, Tiefling.

The interviewee seems to have added Halfling and removed Dwarf and Tiefling ... can anyone confirm if this is true, or, if it's just an error by GameInformer?

Halfling is in truths stickied faq thread, was confirmed raging nerds interview.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Interesting, Elder Scroll Online has NPC guilds as well, are they becoming the standard of the genre.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    hmm factions you can join (and some that will not allow you to join others, such as joining a lawful faction might mean you can not join an unlawful one) which you gain ratings with and then can say buy certain equipement or maybe even skill would certainly add to character developement.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2012
    Lets hope they arent moving away from player made guilds what is in my opinion very possible. Kinda awesome if its somekind of specialization.
    edited November 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Halfling is in truths stickied faq thread, was confirmed raging nerds interview.

OK -- so just not on the official Race page yet- got it. Thanks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • torgaardtorgaard Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Presumably they're going to be inspired from the factions and character Themes that come with the 4E Neverwinter Campaign sourcebook. Just a guess, but it would make sense (and be pretty cool).

I can't remember all of them off the top of my head (I'm at work), but I recall a Harper theme, another theme for an outcast Red Wizard of Thay, one for being a scout for the Bregan D'aerthe (the drow mercenaries). One theme was for being a member of the Dead Rat thieve's guild or something like that (but you had to become a wererat). Stuff like that.

The factions stirring the pot in Neverwinter were pretty varied:
    • Netheril*
    • Thay*
    • The Abolethic Sovereignty*
    • Lord Dagault Neverember of Waterdeep

And a bunch more I can't remember.

* All part of the new series of books by R.A. Salvatore
    edited November 2012
    torgaard wrote: »
    Presumably they're going to be inspired from the factions and character Themes that come with the 4E Neverwinter Campaign sourcebook. Just a guess, but it would make sense (and be pretty cool).
    To chime in, inspire is a very faint word. The pnp and this game were supposed to be release together and a lot of work between WotC and cryptic's NW team has been done in collaboration.

So the world of NW is supposed to be a lot similar to NW pnp book alongwith its story being the default lore/official story or cannon in future D&D works.
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    I expect a fast paced action oriented mob combat mmo. With very little advanced character progression. I do hope that sort of thing is patched in though. The foundry is more important, at least to me.
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    giggliato wrote: »
    I expect a fast paced action oriented mob combat mmo. With very little advanced character progression. I do hope that sort of thing is patched in though. The foundry is more important, at least to me.

How do you define advanced character progression, that is a bit of a nebulous statement so clarification would be appreciated. I mean I consider advanced character progression a bit different than most, I would actually like to see games shift genres, so you might start out at lvl 1 with a action oriented RPG, shift into a more tactical style RPG and then shift again into an RPG with RTS flavors (yes that's my fantasy game).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    giggliato wrote: »

I really do NOT want another Guild Wars 2 where you max your character in less then 2 weeks! I prefer "build wars" and if there is a powerplateau(character can not get more powerful) then it should take a very long time to reach it!

This game is maybe not so hardcore in character progression as WOW(everlasting lootmill never max character), but neither is it so silly casual as Guild wars 2!
    edited November 2012
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    ! I prefer "build wars" and if there is a powerplateau(character can not get more powerful) then it should take a very long time to reach it!

I likes itb:victory