Options

Death Penalty?

Comments

• Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »
    Which it is ;)

The death penalty should be the same for everyone regardless of whether you have a fat wallet and are willing to use it. It's a pretty basic mechanic that shouldn't be played with.

Opinion

There is going to be a cool down on those potions regardless so it isn't like you can kill one mob die guzzle a potion kill another mob die guzzle another one and so on until you win, it really is no different than a battle res spell in WoW except you pay a few Zen for it but you are still bound by the cool down.

That would be pay to win.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Opinion

There is going to be a cool down on those potions regardless so it isn't like you can kill one mob die guzzle a potion kill another mob die guzzle another one and so on until you win.

That would be pay to win.

Opinion ?

Perhaps but look at the hordes of mmos out there and how they deal with death penalties. Look at how many have light death penalties and those few that actually have perma death or severe penalties.

Which one is more prevalent lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Opinion ?

Perhaps but look at the hordes of mmos out there and how they deal with death penalties. Look at how many have light death penalties and those few that actually have perma death or severe penalties.

Which one is more prevalent lol

I really see no difference in Neverwinters Resurrection potion than a battle res in WoW, except I pay a few zen for it, I'm still bound by the cool down, still can't power my way through content with them, it's a slight convenience for those people who have to go to work the next day and really don't have time or want to start back at the beginning of a Dungeon.

And we know they are already in so if you take them out now I would suspect you would get quite the backlash...kinda like the "War on fun" debacle that CO had when it first launched.

Trust me when Ronnie rouge dies 3/4 through Blackdagger keep he damn well better have a Resurrection potion if he wants to be invited back.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I really see no difference in Neverwinters Resurrection potion than a battle res in WoW, except I pay a few zen for it, I'm still bound by the cool down, still can't power my way through content with them, it's a slight convenience for those people who have to go to work the next day and really don't have time or want to start back at the beginning of a Dungeon.

And we know they are already in so if you take them out now I would suspect you would get quite the backlash...kinda like the War of fun debacle that CO had when it first launched.

Trust me when Ronnie rouge dies 3/4 through Blackdagger keep he damn well better have a Resurrection potion if he wants to be invited back.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be res scrolls only that they should be acquired in game not in the cash shop is all. Buy via in game gold and let them works as a small gold sink.

Eh I'll make believe I didn't see the word rouge

Part of this post has been removed, please remain civil and do not degrade other player's opinions.

Thanks,
    ~Zebular, PWE Community Moderator
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    If people feel that there must be a death penalty then the worst I'd like to see it be is a debuff on players' DPS/heals that is slowly removed as players gain XP from kills and objectives. Cryptic implemented this in Champions Online and I don't believe NWO should have any worse.

Personally I could never work that one out. People tend to die because they're doing something stupid, or they're pushing the limit of what they can accomplish. The immediate response shouldn't be to gimp them slightly so they'll struggle even more. Penalise, don't punish.

Just deduct some XP, gold, durability, or a combination of the three.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Personally I could never work that one out. People tend to die because they're doing something stupid, or they're pushing the limit of what they can accomplish. The immediate response shouldn't be to gimp them slightly so they'll struggle even more. Penalise, don't punish.

Just deduct some XP, gold, durability, or a combination of the three.

I've always thought when you're in a party and face-plant dead in the middle of a battle that the humiliation of it was enough lol especially if it causes a wipe.

Also many just make it so your gear takes damage and you have to repair it thus costing you hard earned gold.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This post has been removed for consistency to keep the thread on topic.

Thanks,
  • Options
    mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Thanks,
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Thanks,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This post has been removed, please remain civil and do not degrade other player's opinions.

Thanks,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I liked FFXI's death penalty which is a set amount of XP lost and you can De-Level.

I like it a lot more than Debt.
  • Options
    tinyishtinyish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Part of this post has been removed, please remain civil and do not degrade other player's opinions.

Thanks,

Warning: Wall o' Text. 9/9 wall creature. Flying. First strike. Geek humor.
    Back on topic: Getting the death penalty right is a lot about player retention. You want people to feel the effect of dying so that they won't just go kamikaze into every fight, but you also don't want to make it hurt so much that they'll rage quit and/or kill themselves IRL. (See EQ) In fact, you don't want them to quit at all. From the developer standpoint, you want them to think about your game all the time, not about thier fear of the death penalty. If you think of a game and the first thing that comes to your mind is how terrible the death penalty is, then you're likely not going to want to play the game anymore, which means that you'll stop playing, which means that there's no more chances for the developers to ask for your money in the cash shop, which means they lose thier job, which means they live on the street and beg for money and start taking drugs and commiting crimes and live the rest of thier lives in jail. So you see that its really a big incentive to the developers to make you not fear the game's death penalty. (Them's jokes. Don't hate.)

I think that either WoW's and DDO's death penalties are both just about right. In both games you have to spend the most valuable resource of all, your TIME, to get back to where you were when you started. In DDO that is also true. DDO also adds the fact that after someone in your group dies (not necessarily even you) then you don't get the 10% bonus. That's all. The experience PENALTY for re-entering the instance might seem like it is linked to the death penalty, which is true if you're soloing, but if you're with a group then you don't necessarily need to re-enter if they can rez you.

Having a penalty for a failure to bring all the necessary equipment and supplies on an adventure makes complete sense.

And then there's the small amount of equipment damage that occurs during death, which is as much a slightly annoying death penalty as it is a money sink. I suppose from an RP perspective this can be seen as the fact that when you got scorched or stabbed or shot or slashed or melted, then so did your armor. And as your party dragged your butt back to town maybe they didn't keep up on oiling your armor for a day or two. So that makes sense. Also, there has to be money sinks in the game, which is really another topic altogether.

Maybe the death penalty should scale based upon the selected difficulty. Perhapse if you run it on solo difficulty then the experience bonus for not dying should be 5%, whereas if you run it on extreme difficulty then the experience bonus for not dying should be 25%.

In a per-adventure system I cannot imagine a per-death experience penalty working. If I die once then I'd lose the bonus, but if I die 10 times and lose 10% experience each time then there is literally no more experience reward for me upon completing the adventure. If it were a PUG many people might just drop the group, which is really bad for the feeling of community if people just abandon you. You need to give any player who completes something some sort of reward as positive reinforcement so that they'll continue to play, especially if they stuck it out and finished the adventure even after being killed ten times and incurring other parts of the death penalty.

I haven't heard whether Neverwinter will go on a per-kill or per-adventure or even per-encounter experience point system. Maybe half of us are suggesting things that aren't even applicable because they're for the other rewards structure.

If the game goes on a per-kill system for experience then I think experience point debt is the way to go, so that if you die continually then you'll start leveling at half speed until a certain amount of experience points are spent to repay the debt. In this case you never actually stop leveling, and you never level backward. There may need to be some amount of leniency built into this. For example, if your first death each day was forgiven with no debt.

Experience point loss is no good. You don't want to take something away from someone when they die because you can't always determine if it was thier fault, and it is wasn't thier fault then a harsher penalty is especially bad for player retention. In EQ I fell off a faulty 8-foot ladder, died, and leveled down from 46 to 45. When I went back for my corpse I fell off the same ladder and died again. Another time I fell off a 30-foot lift and got stuck on the edge of the lift and when I finally hit the ground I died instantly, whereas if I'd jumped clean off the top of the same lift I'd have survived with mere scratches. The experience point loss was too harsh and I felt it was undeserved. I never played that character again. That is NOT what any designer wants to happen in thier game.

Also, as I mentioned that in DDO when ANYONE in your party dies you lose the bonus. It makes sense to me because you're supposed to be keeping your party alive, but on the flip side there's no stopping human stupidity and only one cure for inexperience. It will just make people not want to play with strangers who may suck at the game. I think DDO got it right when they made this experience point bonus a small one. If someone in the group dies the reaction is "Meh, oh well."

In 4th edition when you're ressurected then you gain a -1 penalty to all attacks and skill checks for six encounters. In Neverwinter, there would instantly pop up a Foundry-made adventure called "Kill 6 rats" and there would be no more death penalty. I guess this isn't a great option.

And last but not least: Perma-death. From my point of view the amount of players that would prefer perma-death is really, really small. And if you're of this tiny minority you can go ahead and delete your character; I won't stop you. If they do make the game perma-death you can bet there'll be some criminal druggie developers rotting in jail for the rest of thier lives. (See the slippery slope fallacy above.)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This post has been removed, please refrain from replying to anything you feel may be in violation of the PWE Community Rules.

Thanks,
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I feel that the death penalty should be the same for ALL regardless of whether you have to work the next day or not.

I don't think ANY one group should be able to bypass such a basic game-play mechanic by throwing money at it, no matter how entitled they FEEL they should be allowed too.

There I'm fairly certain this explains my feelings on the matter without degrading anyones opinions or breaking any of PWE rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    i honestly like a game better with a nasty death penalty. don't want the penalty? don't get in over your head! go prepared! and bring friends!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I feel that the death penalty should be the same for ALL regardless of whether you have to work the next day or not.

I don't think ANY one group should be able to bypass such a basic game-play mechanic by throwing money at it, no matter how entitled they FEEL they should be allowed too.

There I'm fairly certain this explain my feeling on the matter without degrading anyones opinions or breaking any of PWE rules.

PWE, Cryptic, and a lot of players on this forum disagrees with your assessment, that may be a deal breaker for you, I'm sure there will be those that continually complain about it, just like they continually complain about items in the STO store.
    mosnacky01 wrote: »
    Snip

Sorry to see you go Mosnacky01, but I think it's the wrong choice I'm sure there are one or two that would love to see me stop posting but it isn't going to happen, drop me a PM when you get to beta and we will run some delves together.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2012
    PWE Cryptic and a lot of players on this forum disagrees with your assessment, that may be a deal breaker for you, I'm sure there will be those hat continually complain about it just like they continually complain about items in the STO store.

im actually in agreeance with him here... if the mechanic is meaningful, you shouldnt even have the option of bypassing it with money.

ile continue to be extremely skeptical of any game with an in-game store. ide much rather pay for a subscription game where players are all playing the same game with the same mechanics. in fact, if it were up to me, you'd only be able to access the store while logged out, just to insure that the items in the store didnt affect your ability to alter game mechanics.

most in game stores start out by promising cosmetic and vanity and convenience only, but in my experience so far, they all end up being pay-to-win. itd be sad to see it START as pay to win here.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ranncore wrote: »
    im actually in agreeance with him here... if the mechanic is meaningful, you shouldnt even have the option of bypassing it with money.

ile continue to be extremely skeptical of any game with an in-game store. ide much rather pay for a subscription game where players are all playing the same game with the same mechanics. in fact, if it were up to me, you'd only be able to access the store while logged out, just to insure that the items in the store didnt affect your ability to alter game mechanics.

most in game stores start out by promising cosmetic and vanity and convenience only, but in my experience so far, they all end up being pay-to-win. itd be sad to see it START as pay to win here.

Again not everyone considers it pay to win and some thinks anything that isn't 15.00 a month is pay to win, each person has to make up their mind if they are willing to participate or not..all in all I think the game will be successful with or without them.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    PWE, Cryptic, and a lot of players on this forum disagrees with your assessment, that may be a deal breaker for you, I'm sure there will be those that continually complain about it, just like they continually complain about items in the STO store.

Sorry to see you go Mosnacky01, but I think it's the wrong choice I'm sure there are one or two that would love to see me stop posting but it isn't going to happen, drop me a PM when you get to beta and we will run some delves together.

Oh I didn't realize you spoke for PWE or Cryptic or for "a lot" of the players here.

I only speak for myself but from what I have seen I believe there are many that feel as I do even if that may be a deal breaker for you and Likewise I'm sure there will be some that will continue to whine that cash shops are a good thing and have absolutely no p2w items in them.

I won't try to speak for them though. On a side note I truly look forward to buying some nice new pimped out threads in the cosmetic section ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Alright guys, let's just agree to disagree.
    There are a lot of people on both sides of the fence and nobody can prove that their opinion is superior. While all of you are welcome to your opinions repeating them in a loop is only leading to another flame match which I truly don't want.

Please let's find a new direction to take this discussion. Afterall we're still not even sure what will be in the Cash Shop or not and for exactly what cost so we're really only getting upset about speculation.
  • Options
    urbanskill1991urbanskill1991 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I got this from http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20110510

This is death and dying penalty for 4e.
    4th Edition extended the death threshold to a negative number equal to half the character?s maximum hit points. In addition, rather than lose hit points each round, a character must make a death saving throw. Fail three of those, and the character dies.

If you got cleric in your party who can use raise dead. The 4e use this:
    In 4th Edition, raise dead became a ritual that required 500 gp to cast. In addition, the target suffered a -1 penalty to most d20 rolls for six encounters of adventuring.

*shrug* If Cryptic say they are make NW true to 4e. They might use this rule.
    3.jpg
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    They are not. The game will only be heavily based on 4E D&D and not a literal translation.

Also the thread is more of a discussion on what kind of punishment, if any, should be applied to a player after they die. I do like the concept of having a "fear/sluggish" penalty added after death though. It makes logical sense that somebody who had a brush with mortality wouldn't be too well off in combat for a while ;-)
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I got this from http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20110510

This is death and dying penalty for 4e.
    4th Edition extended the death threshold to a negative number equal to half the character?s maximum hit points. In addition, rather than lose hit points each round, a character must make a death saving throw. Fail three of those, and the character dies.

If you got cleric in your party who can use raise dead. The 4e use this:
    In 4th Edition, raise dead became a ritual that required 500 gp to cast. In addition, the target suffered a -1 penalty to most d20 rolls for six encounters of adventuring.

*shrug* If Cryptic say they are make NW true to 4e. They might use this rule.

Aye it will be interesting to see what they do.

They have from what we know so far changed some things to suit the mmo platform though like healing pots instead of surges if I am not mistaken and it seems to me they have in some of the newer clips stated NWO was going to be based on 4e rather than strictly follow 4e rules.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Alright guys, let's just agree to disagree.
    There are a lot of people on both sides of the fence and nobody can prove that their opinion is superior. While all of you are welcome to your opinions repeating them in a loop is only leading to another flame match which I truly don't want.

Please let's find a new direction to take this discussion. Afterall we're still not even sure what will be in the Cash Shop or not and for exactly what cost so we're really only getting upset about speculation.

It wasn't a flame match, (removed comment) This is my last post on these forums so I'm just going to say this and leave, (removed comment) because I love Forsaken world and PWI and thought this community would be as amazing as those communities, I was terribly wrong.

You guys could learn a thing or ten from your sister forums.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    This post has been removed, please remain civil.

Thanks,
    -Ambisinisterr
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    People, do not insult or mock another person no matter what they said. if I see this kind of language or inappropriate commentary which is rude this thread gets locked. No more warnings. And if you have an issue with another user PM us PRIVATELY about it to all moderators.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    dridiadridia Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    perdidur wrote: »
    I hope there is some sort of death penalty. Newer games have been watering this down to the point that nobody cares if they die so being careless or outright stupid is not discouraged at all. As long as it stings enough to make player's consider their actions and not allow them to always blindly rush into any situation with a complete lack of caution, I will be happy.

I agree with this poster 100%
  • Options
    valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I was gonna say that whoever had the idea of temporary stat loss because of death had the right idea. Couldn't find the post, but that'd be awesome. I don't want the exact D&D rules put into this game, because in D&D, it takes an hour just to get to a dungeon, and a few more to get done and out. In video games, everything's faster, so we need debuffs that are quick, but to the point. Make a 2 minute debuff of whatever your character's main stat (based of off class, e.g. wizard) and if they die again in the next say, 15 minutes, increase it by another 2 minutes, or however much they decide. I like this idea, it keeps you from intentionally killing yourself, but also doesn't gimp you from playing for 10 minutes, in which case you're kicked from the group because they're impatient. Resurrection rules are still the same. No debuff with res.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    You might be thinking of this post. I agree whole heartedly with post death debuffs and I actually like the concept better if it is per encounter/per xp simply because it prevents people from simply avoiding the penalty.
This discussion has been closed.