test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Guild Benefits

jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
So, we have any information about how guilds will work for the players?

What we can wait for? Leveling guilds? A secret base to the guildies? Exclusive buffs and skills? A periodic huge server guild battle?
Post edited by jogoskanindragon on

Comments

• iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

What we can wait for? Leveling guilds? A secret base to the guildies? Exclusive buffs and skills? A periodic huge server guild battle?

I can say we know about much as crafting as we do guilds.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jogoskanindragonjogoskanindragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 143 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I can say we know about much as crafting as we do guilds.

And you call yourself "Truthseeker"????

For God, go send your ninja sect to investigate this!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Sorry, sometimes my humor wanes...sardonic.

We know nothing on Guilds (and Crafting) except we know crafting is in game. Guilds are currently on the wish-list. Now you know what we all do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    someone played wow recently
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Truthseeker doesn't actually means truthteller.

EDIT:
    *A few ninja's climb on the roof of my house*

EDIT:
    secret: I am being forced to write this by ninjas on keyboard.

Guilds and crafting have not been discussed yet. Many of the features may not yet be finalized as closed beta hasn't yet been announced. Once the beta starts, the features most likely would be final unless the community suggests popular changes. Until then all must practice patience.

*The ninja's disappears with smoke bombs*
    *whispers* The cake is a lie...
  • trollololloltrollolollol Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 120 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Meet friends and have good time? b:chuckle
  • zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    Probably they will work like in most MMORPGS.
  • leopardladyleopardlady Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zoooper wrote: »
    Probably they will work like in most MMORPGS.

Seen as guilds work differently (some have a place to meet up and storage, some have buffs, ect.) in each MMORPG, I am guessing you mean it will be different in NWO as well?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Regardless of guild system in game they'll work exactly like leopardlady said... "Differently". Depends on the group you find yourself being a part of! I know my guild is shooting for a tabletop type relationship where we're all tight-nit and can call each other by first name but have our in-game RP kinda relationship as well!
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Sorry, sometimes my humor wanes...sardonic.

We know nothing on Guilds (and Crafting) except we know crafting is in game. Guilds are currently on the wish-list. Now you know what we all do.

Bah "Guilds are currently on the wish-list." so sad....it's also worrisome as the implications could be meh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • iamruneiamrune Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Just look at the existing other Cryptic Engine 2.0 games, Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

I fully expect that guilds in Neverwinter Online will be very similar to...

Open the door
    Get on the floor
    Everybody walk the dinosaur

[Stealth Text] Happy Meme Day!
  • aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    iamrune wrote: »
    Just look at the existing other Cryptic Engine 2.0 games, Champions Online and Star Trek Online.

I fully expect that guilds in Neverwinter Online will be very similar to...

[Stealth Text] Happy Meme Day!

i really don't like the other cryptic games i find them kinda crappy clones :)
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »

I am not trying to flame here at all, but I think anyone expecting a game that is completely unlike other Cryptic games will likely be disappointed. I could be wrong this is my opinion based on an educated guess, but I still think that Cryptic holds a very specific design philosophy that NW winter appears to follow as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • valas625valas625 Member Posts: 195 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I see people are actually worried about not having guilds....I mean, of all the things I've seen so far, guilds are the last thing I'm worried about. Races, classes, etc these things haven't been fully outlined and most likely won't be till later on down the road, but why do guilds matter? Do you really NEED to be in a guild to feel like it's an MMO? Are you gonna say it's no good cause you can't be in a guild? Personally, I think something like the Citadel for Assassins guild or the Thieves guilds in calimport would be cool to join, or maybe a mercenary guild. Something players don't control. Something that no 1-3 people have COMPLETE control over. Don't argue, we all know the top three people decide everything for a guild. The only things I've ever gotten out of guilds were headaches because the top 2-5 leaders of the guild ninja'd everything for their friends or alts. I'd be happier with a game where guilds weren't required to run anything. I don't wanna have to join a guild to do a raid, or miss out on benefits because I didn't stay in a guild where I'm required to be on at 11pm SHARP or be kicked, and then lose all the guild "abilitys". Anyone who thinks I"m being paranoid clearly has never played an MMO where guilds are a big deal "cough "wow" cough" In some MMO's, being guildless means people won't even look at you to join an almost finished raid, simply because "Well, he's not in a guild so clearly he's no good at this game." Yea, I've heard that multiple times. And every other time after the raid, you hear how the pug didn't get loot cause he wasn't in their guild. No, screw that. When end game content becomes whether or not to be screwed by random people or people you're in a guild with, the choice is clear. Don't play the game.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Guilds could introduce interesting gameplay mechanics IF a political system and guild law system were introduce inside the guild. It would make it a lot more interesting. Of course there will be tons of drama that come from that but honestly that will make it interesting. That said I think it would be interesting to have gameplay mechanics based on specialty guilds. Fighters, thieves, wizards, and clerics all having specific gameplay mechanics if they have a guild that specifically caters to those professions.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I remember Pokket ask about guilds at PAX East 2012 convetion, Andy didnt directly answered about guilds but he mention neverwinter will be a full feature MMO so i expect guilds will be in game lol Although i might be wrong :)

There wont be raids in nevewinter (at least at launch) so guilds can play a diferent role from what we used to have in WoW, DDO, STWOR, etc... Maybe we can get the old Ultima Online feeling of guilds on OSI servers

Maybe for once after the last 5-6 years we will have somethings new to an MMO and not only about guilds... As for me, im rly expecting neverwinter will fill my desire :)
    edited October 2012
    OK. This is where I have to ask since though I tried Ultima and I am fascinated with many of the gameplay mechanics the game engine itself always felt to atrocious by todays standards to really dig in. And since I am on my days off from work I can't ask my Ultima playing co-worker I will ask here. What were guilds like in Ultima?
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    I am not trying to flame here at all, but I think anyone expecting a game that is completely unlike other Cryptic games will likely be disappointed. I could be wrong this is my opinion based on an educated guess, but I still think that Cryptic holds a very specific design philosophy that NW winter appears to follow as well.

What you say is a strong possibility but keep in mind PW now owns cryptic and as such may have a word on what "they" feel is good in a mmo, at least that my hope as I prefer the PW approach to some things over cryptics
    aeroth001 wrote: »

I more or less agree, and i really wanted to love STO too
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
    edited October 2012
    Let's hope the "different way" learned from both good and bad experiences from Cryptic/PWE games permeates to guilds then too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't think this game needs guilds in a traditional sense though I think there should be ways to distinguish player groups.

However in WoW at least some raid leaders did abuse the system but if you werent on for every raid at an acceptable time then I don't care what bull**** excuse you have you should not get loot priority over someone who is more reliable. REAL LIFE WORKS THE SAME WAY and if you prioritize real life over a game (which most of us do) then accept the fact that that is your priority and let it go.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think guilds that are formed form friendships tend to do well, guilds formed to gain as many perks and as much uber loots possible...not so much. To me at least when you start adding game enhancements (increase XP increased, increased speed) and items (mounts and such) you are fostering guilds for the wrong reasons and will end up with guilds just there for the perks.

If they are going to give benefits make them more social or cosmetic any time you build in exclusivity to something as simple as being part of the guild you are diminishing the overall community.

Being part of a awesome guild is it's own reward.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    Here's my two cents on the topic and I hope I can keep it short.

My opinion of guilds is no different than raids. They have their place and bring a lot of enjoyment to the game.
    However the encouragements to join a guild should have a minimal effect on those players which choose not to be in a guild.

Guilds should be rewarded but the benefits shouldn't compromise the enjoyment of those who do not enjoy being in a guild. It's a narrow slope which few games balance well.
    While it's a nice concept to reward guilds, developers and guild members should always remember that any rewards implemented are no more than punishments to any players not in guilds.

And my opinion only dictates that any player's enjoyment with the game shouldn't rely on their enjoyment of guild atmospheres.
  • ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I have mixed feelings about guilds, some good, some bad. Having been playing MMO's for a number of years, I think I have seen the best they have to offer and the worst. I played EVE for a number of years and belonged to one particular corporation (guild) for the bulk of my playing time. While members got together for various things, they relationship between members was one of friendship and mutual respect. Each member brought something unique to the corporation which strengthen us as a whole. I remember long nights chatting with one another, swapping yarns and generally enjoying each others company while we played. I guess that would be what I'm looking for in a guild for this game.

I like the notion of tackling a dungeon that requires a group effort with rewards equal to the challenge presented. I like the team work and the satisfaction of seeing all the pieces come together to achieve the impossible.

I loath gear checks and holier than thou attitudes.

I haven't been a member of a guild in a long time. Having played WOW, STO, SWTOR, GW2 most recently, none of them had guilds that appealed to me and the mechanics of the game didn't require me to join one. I could do most game content either solo or with Pugs.

I do want to join a rich guild, filled with members of a like mind, that want to enhance their game play through the friendships that can develop in a guild. Time alone will tell if I am able to locate a guild like that when this game is released. I am looking forward to it.

My Best,

Ezra Steel
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Guilds could introduce interesting gameplay mechanics IF a political system and guild law system were introduce inside the guild. It would make it a lot more interesting. Of course there will be tons of drama that come from that but honestly that will make it interesting. That said I think it would be interesting to have gameplay mechanics based on specialty guilds. Fighters, thieves, wizards, and clerics all having specific gameplay mechanics if they have a guild that specifically caters to those professions.

With so many factions in neverwinter campaign guide this could make this very interesting and for the PVP side of it as well i feel, i just hope devs can utilise that for there system, as im concoctoing some ideas, wether its implementable well thats another thing.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Guild benefits:

Most people play games to have fun. Guilds can offer a gamer a whole 'nother layer of fun and entertainment. Logging into the game knowing there will be guildies that are ready and willing to shoot the breeze and/or go adventuring harks back to the earliest days of Dungeons & Dragons. If you are fortunate enough to find a guild of like minded players, headed by a guild leader and officers that actually care about their guildies, and are well organized and active, great times are almost guaranteed every day and night. A small or medium sized guild that shares information can do what larger more established guilds can do (such as that really hard quest or raid that you dont know how to do) by utilizing teamwork and sharing knowledge.

I agree with some others here that state guilds should not get a big advantage over those that do not choose to join a guild. Throw em a bone if you must, but dont make it so shiny that people want it so bad that they are willing to say/do anything just to be in a guild.

Guild cons:

Would you believe the biggest, yet least recognized con I think I've ever heard about joining a guild is this: "I couldn't find a good guild". Its true if you think about it. Most people that say they have had only bad experiences in guilds are saying in essence, "I havent found a good one yet." And its not easy. Imagine ensuring you've found the best guild to join if your favorite game was Guild Wars 2. The myriad of possibilities are nearly endless.

Cons besides trying to find a guild that will enhance your play experiences? "A Boys Club" (the guild leader and his/her buddies play, you are left holding your weapon every night, like you dont exist), ego, greed, in-fighting, various drama.

The best advice I think I can give to a guild leader is this. Talk with all your guildies and Run with all your guildies.

Take the role of guild leader seriously or just don't do it. If you dont give a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> about your guildies, dont expect a cohesive guild. Expect headaches every day.

Pick a theme. Promote it. Be about it. Be organized. There is no "I" in leader. Have fun! Chances are, that's the most important thing your guildies will never ask you for.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • uniqueviluniquevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited October 2012
    vangald wrote: »

i think your concern may not be wrong as dnd or nverwinter should be an open world concept being adventurers you live where you travel
    yah guilds is inevitable but pls do not make guilds benefits into some game changing effects like bonus damage in pvp or pve thus forcing ppl to MUST join a guild
    while you can have guilds benefits maybe constrain them to guilds v guilds scenario or cosmetic adds on imo
  • uniqueviluniquevil Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 51
    edited October 2012
    uniquevil wrote: »
    i think your concern may not be wrong as dnd or nverwinter should be an open world concept being adventurers you live where you travel
    yah guilds is inevitable but pls do not make guilds benefits into some game changing effects like bonus damage in pvp or pve thus forcing ppl to MUST join a guild
    while you can have guilds benefits maybe constrain them to guilds v guilds scenario or cosmetic adds on imo

this is nice ,a good read
    yah forming guilds actually need real commitment effort and time
    its not easy due to real life events happening
    and most guilds aint interactive enough mainly just an easy way to group up for raids etc
    as this is nverwinter/dnd lore community is so important
    hence guilds out there must do more compare to guilds in other mmo wheres guild is just so shallow imho
    edited October 2012
    Well you could make it so that you get a bonus and an equal negative. This way being in a guild specializes you and gives a trait and possibly a play style that makes your guild stand out. Though generally the type of bonus's I expect might be skill bonuses or trade bonuses like stuff for crafting or merchant features or a bonus against a type of creature.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think we should take a cue from history. What the guild were in medivial world?

Guild were basically the same what we have "clubs" now. They had influence. SO for example, say merchant guild. You would have to give a very small fee to the guild every month or so in return, if anyone steals your goods, any merchant dupes or cheats you etc., the guild would go and take care of it. If you run away with someone's else money, the guild will hunt you down as it had presence in every town.

In short, guilds were your bank, your insurance policies, your police etc. when you are outside of your hometown (as when you are in foreign city, your can be denied your rights due to influence in old times) but having guild ensures that you are treated fairly everywhere.

Hence you have an upper hand in bargaining, reporting theft, taking loans and stuff.

Adventure guilds similarly should be able to negotiate more for your jobs getting you more money. However the guilds also should take fees for the upkeep. Hence a person doing 7 jobs a week may be in loss if he is benefiting 1 gold per job from bargain but giving 10 gold per week as a fee. 7gold-10gold=loss of 3 gold.

But a person doing 30 jobs a week will profit immensely : 30gold-10gold=20gold profit

The guild system in game should take an example from that.
    edited October 2012
    But then the question is what does the guild as a whole spend their cut on. Keep in mind we are talking as far as a game mechanic.