test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make NW subscription or p2p because we don't like being discriminated

Comments

• plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    I wouldn't mind a subscription if it was subscription quality.

I would prefer it being free with subscription quality.

I HATE COMBO GAMES. if something is free to play, auctions should eb available all quests and classes should be available and if races matter for balancing then all races should be available. (at least you should be able to grind for them in a reasonable amount of time).

Hell put ad's in the game if you need to but having to pay for content that affects game-play makes the game not free to play no matter how you try to spin it.

The reason LoL is so successful is that you can get into it without having to spend money, YOU NEVER FEEL LIKE YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

It actually is a choice.

Ive played LoL for almost three years now and have close to 5,000 games played. I have spent $80 dollars on the game and only have purchased skins. Since I play so much I have more IP than I know what to do with. But the reason the game is successful is that you can get attached to it without spending that money to jump in.

I really hope I am never put into a situation that I have to spend money to play a class I want to play. That would seriously kill my day and my love for the game.

I have been saying the same thing.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I wouldn't mind a subscription if it was subscription quality.

I would prefer it being free with subscription quality.

The reason LoL is so successful is that you can get into it without having to spend money, YOU NEVER FEEL LIKE YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO.

It actually is a choice.

Yea, one way or the other. That's why I think Cryptic was brilliant for acknowledging free2play so early on, then elaborating that the game will be all access, except vanity and consumables. If they stay true to their supposed plan, it will draw so many more to try out the game.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    well it's a good thing for the people who actually want a LoL type model that they already admitted to not being interested in ever making you pay for content in terms of classes, powerful gear, the foundry or races.

Sounds like everything they put up for real money will be cosmetic and totally optional which is nice. Looking forward to it being a REAL f2p game and not p2p, p2w, sub or whatever else.
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Btw if they really go with this plan NWO will be the first MMORPG whitch is not a MOBA to do sutch a thing,this will draw alot of players.
    edited October 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    Btw if they really go with this plan NWO will be the first MMORPG whitch is not a MOBA to do sutch a thing,this will draw alot of players.

Indeed. I would go so far to predict that by the end of year one, this game should be able to eclipse the DDO playerbase, which will be no easy task. That is of course if the Foundry is as good as it looks, and we have enough willing to develop good UGC.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The only thing which truly bothers me about DDO's system is that I run around looking for things to do, and there's plenty, yet I have to truly struggle to find something *free* to do.

I wouldn't mind it if I didn't have to sift through everything to enjoy my time playing.
    Rune scape for instance basically has 90% of the member's only content in members only areas so I really didn't mind that. Of course the free game was so ungodly slow paced I don't think many, if any, people could enjoy it but still going through as a free player and only having access to a small part of the map, while saddening, is liberating compared to my experience with DDO.

I truly hope for a LoL/MOBA style cash shop, but as long as I'm not running through the world being blasted with 'in order to access this content you must pay for this' or feel like in order to advance I have to pay for equipment/boosts I'll be a happy camper.
    edited October 2012
    The only thing which truly bothers me about DDO's system is that I run around looking for things to do, and there's plenty, yet I have to truly struggle to find something *free* to do.

I truly hope for a LoL/MOBA style cash shop, but as long as I'm not running through the world being blasted with 'in order to access this content you must pay for this' or feel like in order to advance I have to pay for equipment/boosts I'll be a happy camper.

I think a lot of former and current DDO folks are going to be thrilled when they realize that all content is really free (if the current f2p plan goes thru as described). I'd say over 90% of the non guildies I speak to in DDOland just don't believe it.

• vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I think a lot of former and current DDO folks are going to be thrilled when they realize that all content is really free (if the current f2p plan goes thru as described). I'd say over 90% of the non guildies I speak to in DDOland just don't believe it.

I really don't get why they wouldn't believe that all gameplay content in the game is free... it's not a novelty or anything... that's like every game that was designed as f2p... EVER...
    Even the WoW playerbase is not that blind to other games, and that says a lot...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    I really don't get why they wouldn't believe that all gameplay content in the game is free... it's not a novelty or anything... that's like every game that was designed as f2p... EVER...
    Even the WoW playerbase is not that blind to other games, and that says a lot...

I'll tell you why:

Because over in DDO-land, 90% of content is not free. Imagine growing up in the the monetized world of DDO-Inc and being told when you want to play a new game chapter even if you pay monthly for VIP status to "all" content you have to pay a minimum of $50 for bugs...err, a new release. Then imagine you're grown up in that thing for years upon years and you're told that there's a game that is smooth running and totally free no matter what for all adventurers.
    Wouldn't you have your hope crushed too much to take it seriously?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

Hmm ya that will be cool what I really will be looking forward to is the sexy fashion wear that is most likely going to be sold in the cash shop, like they have on forsaken world and perfect world etc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    No. Not everyone wants to spend every month.

And we have a thread winner.
  • seu1seu1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    If anything, f2p is infinitely better than the half-baked freemium model that only exists because games designed as p2p cannot fully support f2p.

This.

Not sure what OP was going for really, but the above statement accurately depicts what is plaguing our beloved MMO market these days. They start strong, oh-so-strong, but in mere months, most get whittled down to a f2p model, with a cash item shop in hopes of eeking out a few more months of profit. You can see it happen. Development dies. The community is no longer catered to or listened to. I am hoping that Neverwinter stays true to the model they have set out for. Any change from that could result in tragedy, make these words.

Either way, I am really eagerly awaiting this game. I can;t tell you how many times I have watched the rogue trickster video from PAX, lawls.
  • zoooperzoooper Member Posts: 30
    edited October 2012
    I'll tell you why:

Because over in DDO-land, 90% of content is not free. Imagine growing up in the the monetized world of DDO-Inc and being told when you want to play a new game chapter even if you pay monthly for VIP status to "all" content you have to pay a minimum of $50 for bugs...err, a new release.

OMG, what you are describing is a horrible, monstrous world. b:sad
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So correct me if I'm wrong here, but this discussion is centered on the fact that there has been very little discussion from the Devs?

This seems to happen with Cryptic games, they go into silent mode shortly before beta and then as beta ramps up and comes to a close there are spurts of info.

I also think that based on what happened from Dev posts in STO, that you're not going to see a lot of this information on the forums, most of it will come from interviews or blog posts. It is great to have a lot of developer communication on the forums, but for the company it is a double edged sword.

One good thing about less communication from the developers is the fact that there is less chance of miscommunication and raised expectations of the product.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    varrvarr wrote: »
    One good thing about less communication from the developers is the fact that there is less chance of miscommunication and raised expectations of the product.

Sounds great "on paper" Varrvarr, and for sure there's been mistakes made in the past by some developers/moderators in other games. I agree with parts of what you had to say, especially related to Cryptic past marketing practices.

However, if I followed that reasoning in my sales and marketing endeavors I would have been fired years ago. I believe one should never be scared of talking about your product. Get your facts straight, and be about it. Talk about it. Give people a reason to buy in. What are the pros/cons. Most importantly, listen to your consumer. Marry the product you are selling to the wants and needs of the consumer. Integrity matters.

In order to do all of that, consumers need information. We need to know if its worth our time that we choose to invest. There should be nothing to hide.

Now one can say there is something to hide. How about if Turbine finds out Cryptic will be doing "A." Well, they can also work on doing "A", and beat Cryptic to the punch. I say go for it because a development battle royal between D&D online developers would be a big win for both playerbases.

Now, Turbine has a game and an audience. So far, Cryptic has had a very small audience that even though seems to be growing at record speed, continues loosing people due to the lack of information.

It's a bad strategy in my book, as Duke Nukem vaporware/Wow-clone comments unfairly paint this game on the greater interwebs, by those not following as closely as many of us are.

Hopefully, marketing continues to loosen the ropes, a bit more than they have thusfar, as further transparency will help those of us interested in this game spread the word more decisively with family and friends.

• varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    My comment was more of a little dig at what happened to STO during the development process and some of the problems that accompanied so much communication with the community, especially in the forums. I don't blame them out right for the miscommunications, I don't think they were trying to deceive anyone, I just think that they've been burned by these kinds of incidents, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do more interviews and blog type posts than forum posting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So correct me if I'm wrong here, but this discussion is centered on the fact that there has been very little discussion from the Devs?

This seems to happen with Cryptic games, they go into silent mode shortly before beta and then as beta ramps up and comes to a close there are spurts of info.

I also think that based on what happened from Dev posts in STO, that you're not going to see a lot of this information on the forums, most of it will come from interviews or blog posts. It is great to have a lot of developer communication on the forums, but for the company it is a double edged sword.

You're right I think, and we are starting to see more information come in, I have never been a huge fan of the hype train as it always ends up biting the developer in the rear.

Accusations of vaporware and making analogies to Duke Nuke-em is just over the top nonsense in my opinion.

Gamers have been so condition to the hype machine that there is an almost Pavlovian expectation for it, we are five or six months away from release (I'm betting it's going to be released the second week of March 2013 ) so my guess is you are looking at "closed beta" (most folks know that the games been in testing for quite sometime) opening up around December or January between now and then the information will ramp up, it's started already, but I don't think that we are going to get the tell all that some people are demanding...they will probably follow perfect worlds release strategy which is pretty subdued. I could be wrong but we'll see.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
    edited October 2012
    Accusations of vaporware and making analogies to Duke Nuke-em is just over the top nonsense in my opinion.

Just a few seconds on google I found these mentions from gamers with alternate opinions than the poster above, who drew links to none other than Duke Nukem Forever. Naturally I disagree with each poster, but insinuations are being made.

http://www.padinga.com/2012/06/09/e3-never-fear-for-neverwinter/
    http://raiderz.perfectworld.com/news/?p=530691
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/324275/page/3
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=156621

As far as vaporware insinuations for NWO, we have:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/d-d-4th-edition-discussion/299853-neverwinter-next-setting-did-we-know.html
    http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/27716205/Neverwinter_=_Vaporware__Part_2GDN_Cryptic_Sold_to_China?pg=6
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5175981

On Neverwinter's own Facebook page...
    https://www.facebook.com/NeverWinterGame?filter=1

A good read of an official video that was played over 50,000 times on Youtube is exhibit A, why you need to sell yourself as a company, as well as give reasons why the general gaming community public should be interested in the product.

http://youtu.be/-5A_-hxtSqs

My point is that perceptions made of the gaming community at large is not "over the top nonsense". It's an observation of fact. Minute as it might be. Heck, it may be very short sighted of these posters to make these comments, in fact that exactly is my problem with releasing so little information. You not only stunt the growth of the community here (we still have little to talk about other than whats been released in very controlled snippets), but you foster preconceived notions on different platforms that will be very hard to overturn.

I believe Cryptic's decision recently to release more information about Neverwinter has been rewarding. Looking forward to seeing more information released as time goes on. September's been as good a month as ever for information flow... they just need to keep going.. and perhaps open those channels of communication and interaction a little wider in future months.

edited October 2012
    It must be hard to live in a world where everything is about you. /eyeroll

My comment wasn't an insinuation, it was an admonishment to those who are saying that the game is vaporware and who were comparing it to Duke Nuke-em. Once again you need to let things go dude..or maybe change your meds.

Keep providing the entertainment Aandre.
    edited October 2012

You did make this statement 2 posts after my comment didnt you?
    It's a bad strategy in my book, as Duke Nukem vaporware/Wow-clone comments unfairly paint this game on the greater interwebs, by those not following as closely as many of us are.

Therefore, its natural to expect you might have been discussing my comment. Apologies if you weren't.

I might be completely mistaken, but you might need to realize that these forums are for everybody, not just yourself.

edited October 2012
    You did make this statement 2 posts after my comment didnt you?

Yes and like always you jumped to conclusions.

Therefore, its natural to expect you might have been discussing my comment. Apologies if you weren't.

Or you could have actually realized I was talking about the people who were making the comment and not you, that way you wouldn't look like you have a persecution complex.
    I might be completely mistaken, but you might need to realize that these forums are for everybody, not just yourself.

Right back at you..... here I am trying to avoid confrontations with you and here you are making sure they happen. Next time just PM me, we can work it out there.
    edited October 2012
    Or you could have actually realized I was talking about the people who were making the comment and not you, that way you wouldn't look like you have a persecution complex.

If I was mistaken, than you've already received my apologies. Your statement can be read more than one way. There is no excuse however for belittling statements such as "change your meds" commentary. That can also be perceived as "over the top" and completely uncalled for on these forums.

EDIT: This will be my final response on yet another series of uncalled for, deprecating accusations of yours. No need to go back and forth and fill page after page with replies about it.

edited October 2012
    If I was mistaken, than you've already received my apologies. Your statement can be read more than one way. There is no excuse however for the belittling statement such as "check your meds" commentary. That's what is really "over the top" and completely uncalled for on these forums.

Well Aandre stop trying to start these dramatic confrontations and I'll stop recommending therapy.

I really don't want your apology, because you'll just turn around and do it again the first opportunity you get. I just want you to please stop jumping on everything I say and using it as fuel for drama.
  • presbytier7presbytier7 Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I have been a pretty heavy critic of Cryptic games over the last few years, but one thing even i have to admit is they communicate pretty well once a game is launched(one only has to look at the CO and STO forums to see). Now the other thing is with every new game Cryptic launches an olser game gets tossed to the wayside, so don't expect much to come down the pipeline for STO or CO once NWO launches.

P.S. The crappy bear thing has to do with the fact that NWO forums are somehow maintained by the PWO forums, and those bears are just a Chinese thing.
    "Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson
    edited October 2012
    I have been a pretty heavy critic of Cryptic games over the last few years, but one thing even i have to admit is they communicate pretty well once a game is launched(one only has to look at the CO and STO forums to see). Now the other thing is with every new game Cryptic launches an olser game gets tossed to the wayside, so don't expect much to come down the pipeline for STO or CO once NWO launches.

Yep, I have to say that the communication in both STO and Co is pretty damn good and really that communication started right when the launched beta, which is probably what will happen here.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012

My comment was more of a little dig at what happened to STO during the development process and some of the problems that accompanied so much communication with the community, especially in the forums. I don't blame them out right for the miscommunications, I don't think they were trying to deceive anyone, I just think that they've been burned by these kinds of incidents, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them do more interviews and blog type posts than forum posting.
    You're right I think, and we are starting to see more information come in, I have never been a huge fan of the hype train as it always ends up biting the developer in the rear.

Gamers have been so condition to the hype machine that there is an almost Pavlovian expectation for it, we are five or six months away from release (I'm betting it's going to be released the second week of March 2013 ) so my guess is you are looking at "closed beta" (most folks know that the games been in testing for quite sometime) opening up around December or January between now and then the information will ramp up, it's started already, but I don't think that we are going to get the tell all that some people are demanding...they will probably follow perfect worlds release strategy which is pretty subdued. I could be wrong but we'll see.
    [multiquote maxed out so I might as well stop here before bickering begins]

Considering my last response when somebody who reviewed D&D stuff mentioned beta players I'll answer carefully here not to cause a backlash.

What is being looked at is if we are going to do things the "way they are expected" or "a different way."

One of the good things to "things that didn't work" is they give the companies here a chance to see what they can do differently and from the ground up.

Cryptic and PWE have embraced that in some areas...and other areas are more traditional. This includes Cryptic's wall of silence appearance until said Beta.

But the problem is they HAVE begun to open up, many of the things from our suggestions. Stormshade is community manager here and not elsewhere focusing on THIS community and it's planned rise. He ALSO is posting SIGNIFICANTLY higher now that so many of those events and conventions have been finished. And finally, the development blog has been consistently releasing information on things about the game as we have requested (heck I was one of them.)

But there is the perception of this silence due to the time there was nothing, and perceived is always harder to shake when it's a bad image even if it's done for the "right reasons." But sometimes a controlled release is the right way. Yes, there are things even I won't talk about and I hope you can respect the need for secrecy both on a personal and company level sometimes.

So can the company up its dialouge and release rate? Yes. Should they? I'm leaving that up to marketing and public relations to make new forecasts and to do closed surveying on subscribers to see what they think on several ideas, but while I have family in it, Commercials and PR/Marketing isn't my wheelhouse. But I'll gladly learn from anybody who wants to train and hire me :)

And AAndre/Stormdrag0n, I don't know whether to put you two in an arena or hotel room together!

*They both turn and look at him united in their anger and begin to draw weapons*

Umm,, nevermind? *bolts*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012

And AAndre/Stormdrag0n, I don't know whether to put you two in an arena or hotel room together!

*They both turn and look at him united in their anger and begin to draw weapons*

Umm,, nevermind? *bolts*

No anger at all truth..I have honestly tried every tactic I know with Aandre and it always leads up to confrontation, what went down in this thread is a prime example he has this atavistic need to chest thump and Google everything I say, when we get ignore buttons I will gladly use it, but until then no matter what I post he'll take it as an insinuation against him.

I honestly don't have issues with Aandre as a person in fact I think he has been a really good contributor to this community, it's just how he goes about things that usually causes the friction and not only with me but with Stormshade and several other community members . I'm trying to stay out of his way, but he has an axe to grind.

Show me one other person that I have had a issue with in the past month, now look at Aandre, I know it takes two to argue but I really am trying to avoid it.
    edited October 2012
    No anger at all truth..I have honestly tried every tactic I know with Aandre and it always leads up to confrontation, what went down in this thread is a prime example he has this atavistic need to chest thump and Google everything I say, when we get ignore buttons I will gladly use it, but until then no matter what I post he'll take it as an insinuation against him.

I honestly don't have issues with Aandre as a person in fact I think he has been a really good contributor to this community, it's just how he goes about things that usually causes the friction. I'm trying to stay out of his way, but he has an axe to grind.

Show me one other person that I have had a issue with in the past month, now look at Aandre, I know it takes two to argue but I really am trying to avoid it.

Look, I normally do this with PM but when I got thiiiis close to both of you sending a "cut it out" PM can you both agree in the future if bickering starts to take it to PM please? I'm posting this publicly because while technically it was one of who who replied like this both of you have responded this way abut the other in posts. But that's all I'll say publicly on the manner from now on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Look, I normally do this with PM but when I got thiiiis close to both of you sending a "cut it out" PM can you both agree in the future if bickering starts to take it to PM please? I'm posting this publicly because while technically it was one of who who replied like this both of you have responded this way abut the other in posts. But that's all I'll say publicly on the manner from now on.

Honestly I don't want anyone else getting dragged into it If you noticed I already suggested taking it to PM and have been asking to let's just avoid each other but he can't let it go, if it continues I'm just going to ask Stormshade if he will deal with it which I don't want to do because the guy has enough on his plate.

And that's all I'm going to say on it.
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I hope they don't have a ignore button in these forums, I firmly believe people need to learn to act like adults and learn to deal and find common ground instead of figuratively putting their fingers in their ears n saying nana I can't hear your.

I mean I'm far from perfect and I know it and I like to think I've worked on that and improved on some of my bigger faults and I hope that shows in my post compared to some of my earlier ones.

It would be much harder to improve oneself if we had access to an ignore button. I'm ok with an ignore button in game but in forums naw.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild