What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community Voice-Chat Invite

Comments

• Options
    mysterionamysteriona Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey guys and gals, Aeternys here with an invite in hand for the rest of you!

To put it simply I'd like to invite everybody to our Raidcall server just to talk, hang, RP or whatever you feel like doing in these blank days leading up to the eventual Neverwinter beta.

Raidcall is FREE. The group ID is 4624242.

The only rule is to not be a total jerk, but otherwise you're totally welcome and I personally really hope to see some of you jump in and say hi sometime. This isn't me trying to pull people from the site or anything either just to make that clear, but it'd be really nice to get the community together on a different level and I think this could be nice.

I will be on later after i check out all my youtube pages im subrscribed too!

If people are cool then i will join whatever guild u guys create as well in raiderz.
  • Options
    aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    mysteriona wrote: »
    I will be on later after i check out all my youtube pages im subrscribed too!

If people are cool then i will join whatever guild u guys create as well in raiderz.

haha I hear that.. I have like 20 subscriptions on there and it probably takes 3 hours of each of my days to go through the videos I'm interested in. Gonna grab dinner in 10 minutes then I'll be back on, but I'll be in the lobby if anybody wanted to join and leave a message for whatever reason!
  • Options
    kittymofokittymofo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I tried running PWI with RaidCall last night while we were chatting. Noticed RaidCall was eating up a big amount of memory. I thought RaidCall was suppose to be easy on the memory? Never had problems with vent like this. Any ideas?
  • Options
    jankowskijankowski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    Hmm thats strange... what version of Raidcall do you have? I just did a comparison and raidcall was lower for me...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I think it may have something do with the latest version of Flash since RaidCall uses a Flash based overlay. I downgraded to an earlier version of Flash since the newest update was also causing problems with video playback on websites. I'll see if that will help.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So downgrading made it better or worse?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Flash in general has been having issues but I personally don't even use the overlay whatsoever. Just run in admin and play my games. Also I've never seen raidcall go above 5k memory usage which is far less than vent so I have no idea what was going on over there, but I hope you fixed it man!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Daily re-invite to everybody to jump in and say hi via txt/voice!

No need to be shy, there's only 2 of us on right now and we're pretty friendly!

Oh make sure to check out our guild post as well!

http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=14441
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    another day without anybody comin in to say hi!

come on guys, why so antisocial? :(
  • Options
    pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hi, and my 3 year old is sick, hes running a fever, has been a long day....

...is good the neighbors have been quiet tonight cause I feel like ripping out some intestines with a white hot poker
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Aw that sucks man! hope your minion feels better asap!!! and definitely hope you get a long night of rest because I'm sure you need it.
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content that linked to copyright material, which has also been taken down for violation of international copyright laws.
    ~Zebular
  • Options
    ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Hey, Asterny, just keep the server running for a couple weeks, give folks a chance to use it and get used to it. Myself, I'll have to wait till this weekend to chat, been working to late this week to even check out this forum site, so have only just now seen you have this RC server up. I'm sure there are a few more who won't see this thread for a day or two, so hang in there.

One thing I have noticed about the DnD crowd, is that they are not very voice chat inclined. Never have figured out why, seeing as how PnP DnD is all about using "voice". As to a 12 year old ruining the immersion factor, hmmmm how many of us started out as 12 year olds playing PnP DnD, and never having our immersion ruined? Maybe we have just "grown up" and become more "mature" ? ( yes, that was sarcasm ). But i hope that once the game goes live, and folks start playing together, that more will see how useful a voice service is for gaming.

Hope to "hear" from some of yall soon.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ghosty2a wrote: »
    Hey, Asterny, just keep the server running for a couple weeks, give folks a chance to use it and get used to it. Myself, I'll have to wait till this weekend to chat, been working to late this week to even check out this forum site, so have only just now seen you have this RC server up. I'm sure there are a few more who won't see this thread for a day or two, so hang in there.

One thing I have noticed about the DnD crowd, is that they are not very voice chat inclined. Never have figured out why, seeing as how PnP DnD is all about using "voice". As to a 12 year old ruining the immersion factor, hmmmm how many of us started out as 12 year olds playing PnP DnD, and never having our immersion ruined? Maybe we have just "grown up" and become more "mature" ? ( yes, that was sarcasm ). But i hope that once the game goes live, and folks start playing together, that more will see how useful a voice service is for gaming.

Hope to "hear" from some of yall soon.

ANd here I thought it was all those males playing females would have their cover blown :p

Look. The written post is a differnt media than vocal communication. You'll find a lot of Forum people who choose to "talk:" this way only.

As for the D&D crowd, if we have the social courage to meet others, we will play our characters to others Having voices talking only is tantamount to a phone call, and most D&D players I know are not big phone call fans.

The social gap ironically is as CONSOLE gaming improved a lot of console gamers (and many do this are younger) got into the Live chat this way, so you won't find those willing on the PC as much as on the console.

Finally those who use the social media to check these sites, forum included...and I'm trying not to laugh at this because it's a freakin' SmartPHONE most of the time...don't have access to a microphone to CHAT on APPLICATIONS. Yes, they can use their phone to record voice clips or audio, but it's not set up to do headset application voice parity most of the time that computer use. Now, some tablets do this, but many still have phones.

So, be patient everybody, wait for the times when people are (or if they are) on a computer, and accept it might not be their thing and failing here should it happen, is not your fault; just a choice or inability of others to do so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Was on earlier but you guys seemed afk. RaidCall seems to be working better for me now. Reinstalled it and downgraded Flash (since I was having problems with it anyways with my web browser.) The overlay doesn't seem to work with PWI.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    couple of interesting posts.. lol

muzrub - no, just want to be able to talk to you guys in a more spontaneous instantaneous way

ghosty - I intend on keeping a server up for a long time and you guys are always invited

truth - not sure what you're talking about but okay

just wanted to add that the people who come into our raidcall so far are all 18+ so its not like we have random 12 year olds screaming on mic or anything.. lol

kittymofo - I saw you were on but i had just missed you!!! Hope to see you on again soon man
  • Options
    muzrub333muzrub333 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    couple of interesting posts.. lol

muzrub - no, just want to be able to talk to you guys in a more spontaneous instantaneous way

Haha sorry, thought a little song would cheer you up. Don't worry, this site is still kind of unknown in the wide wide world of gamers. The absolute lack of feedback, makes it tough for many to stick around. Once the devs start releasing little bits of info, and those get picked up by some of the MMO blogs, people will show up.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    muzrub333 wrote: »
    Haha sorry, thought a little song would cheer you up. Don't worry, this site is still kind of unknown in the wide wide world of gamers. The absolute lack of feedback, makes it tough for many to stick around. Once the devs start releasing little bits of info, and those get picked up by some of the MMO blogs, people will show up.

Hey man don't be sorry, the song was awesome lol It's cool the community is kinda small right now, I just wish some more people were available to hang while the tight community feel is still there. In any case, it's nice to get responses on the forum at least... even if they're just links to Team America songs!
  • Options
    jankowskijankowski Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    The social gap ironically is as CONSOLE gaming improved a lot of console gamers (and many do this are younger) got into the Live chat this way, so you won't find those willing on the PC as much as on the console.

what... if you are saying that people who play the console are more likely to go on a voice chat software then people who are accustomed to playing on a PC kind of seems <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> backwards...
  • Options
    yolksonuyolksonu Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 61
    edited October 2012
    jankowski wrote: »
    what... if you are saying that people who play the console are more likely to go on a voice chat software then people who are accustomed to playing on a PC kind of seems <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> backwards...

Truth may have a good point for older players. Last console I owned and played was a Sega Genesis. Had a PC too and stayed with the PC. Voice integration in consoles came later and was easy enough for lots of people to use. PC users typed before voice and continue to do so.

I have a surround sound set up in my PC room, I don't own headset or mic. Bought a standalone mic to use for in game chat with a friend with limited results. So I type chat in game. I will listen to others for group direction but I do not voice chat.
    Einstein - "We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    yolksonu wrote: »
    Truth may have a good point for older players. Last console I owned and played was a Sega Genesis. Had a PC too and stayed with the PC. Voice integration in consoles came later and was easy enough for lots of people to use. PC users typed before voice and continue to do so.

I have a surround sound set up in my PC room, I don't own headset or mic. Bought a standalone mic to use for in game chat with a friend with limited results. So I type chat in game. I will listen to others for group direction but I do not voice chat.

Being somebody who grew up being primarily a console user until counter strike starting tilting my hand I can't see what you guys are talking about. There was virtually no voice chat for anybody on console until xbox live in 2002 which was right around the time games like counter strike came out on PC and were mega popular with voice chat as well.

In my opinion you guys aren't talking difference between console and PC gamer because both generally use voice chat when playing a multi-player titles. Especially like an FPS or MMO. You're talking about the difference between a VERY old school gamer that used to play games like Neverwinter Nights back in the 90s and new Call of Duty type gamers as well as bringing up game styles like somebody who prefers to be more solitary within their gaming experience or what have you.

Regardless this conversation is pointless and if anybody would like to go off topic and talk about why voice chatting is or isn't what they want that's fine but do it somewhere else. This thread was made to plainly invite people to come into our raidcall server to voice chat OR text chat and get to know each other on a different level.

Hope I'm not coming off rude or anything but I don't really like where my thread is going and these sorts of conversations don't lend a hand to anything constructive.
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    jankowski wrote: »

The first time I voice-chatted whlie playing a game was on the 360. I had been in out-of-game voice chats prior, but very seldomly and generally only for the work I did with Stratics. In addition to my earlier comments, I find typing to be an easier form of communication for me, as my brain thinks faster than my mouth and I generally get ahead of conversations or change them unintentionally while speaking. Also, I use voice recognition software for my gaming on PCs, so that interferes with in game chat software.

I really prefer forum chatting as such allows me to see my statements and make corrections to them. Here, my only issue is the bear smilies. I refuse to use them and since I do not, I am not conveying much emotion since I omit smilies. Instead, I resort to emote sentences which can be just as misleading as it is without.

*the mage winks with a slight grin*
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Look, just explaining how gamers can think, there's no need for anybody to get upset why people may or may not show up on a chat or start complaining off topic. As a matter of fact, it doesn't help the recruitment for anybody to say that. I wrote what I wrote, useful or not. People will show up or they won't, if they feel like it. I simply offered a why.

So I do hope people show up, but can understand if they choose not to, but hope they will give it a try.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Come chat with us. We got cheetohs and mountain dew! The group ID is 4624242.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Daily reminder - everybody is still invited to pop in whenever!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Anti-spam bump and reinvite to the community to pop in and say/type hi sometime.
  • Options
    futurefoilfuturefoil Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    another day without anybody comin in to say hi!

come on guys, why so antisocial? :(

I might venture a try, but after using Ventrilo once for a shooter game, I shy away from anything not as simple as Skype. My days of figuring out new software are gone. Was getting overloaded. Now if the application you mentioned was guaranteed user friendly, I might give it a shot next week. Maybe posting a link to download and some user friendly setup instructions will help your population grow.
  • Options
    ezrasteel1ezrasteel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 109 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Having grown up in a gaming community that didn't have voice capabilites, I learned to type and think fast. I was a forum administrator for an online RPG in AOL for a number of years and a player as well. I would often have several IM windows open at the same time, under two different screen names, all the while rping under my main character. This was multitasking at a whole new level for me. I spent 8 years in the Air Force, with a primary job as an Air Traffic controller, so multitasking wasn't all that new to me.

When I started to play more MMO's and with various releases of Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and such voice programs, more and more gamers switched over to those mediums to communicate with their members and to coordinate things. When involved in fleet battles while playing EVE, with several hundred people involved in the fight, voice chat was the only way you could keep command and control clear and effective. There was no way you could hope to keep up with the rapid flow of information with typing. Channels were set up for logistics folks, recon folks, capital ships, and others, all relaying key information to the command group. I quickly came to appreciate what voice chat brought to the table. Normal corporation (guild) chat would be set up on various channels and often times had rooms set aside for just BS'ing in. I've built some interesting friendships over the years in those rooms let me tell you.

I still prefer to type but I do realise the benefits of using voice during gaming. Each has its pros and cons. I am looking forward to the release of this game and how the players choose to implement the various options available to them.

My Best,

Ezra Steel
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »
    Having grown up in a gaming community that didn't have voice capabilites, I learned to type and think fast. I was a forum administrator for an online RPG in AOL for a number of years and a player as well. I would often have several IM windows open at the same time, under two different screen names, all the while rping under my main character. This was multitasking at a whole new level for me. I spent 8 years in the Air Force, with a primary job as an Air Traffic controller, so multitasking wasn't all that new to me.

When I started to play more MMO's and with various releases of Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and such voice programs, more and more gamers switched over to those mediums to communicate with their members and to coordinate things. When involved in fleet battles while playing EVE, with several hundred people involved in the fight, voice chat was the only way you could keep command and control clear and effective. There was no way you could hope to keep up with the rapid flow of information with typing. Channels were set up for logistics folks, recon folks, capital ships, and others, all relaying key information to the command group. I quickly came to appreciate what voice chat brought to the table. Normal corporation (guild) chat would be set up on various channels and often times had rooms set aside for just BS'ing in. I've built some interesting friendships over the years in those rooms let me tell you.

I still prefer to type but I do realise the benefits of using voice during gaming. Each has its pros and cons. I am looking forward to the release of this game and how the players choose to implement the various options available to them.

My Best,

Ezra Steel

Best description I've read yet. Nicely done.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ezrasteel1 wrote: »

Got to agree. I also like to type but during some tough dungeon delves, voice chat is just required. Though most of the times, only one person(leading the team) talks and others listen and type - I find that way the most effective.