test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are you doing while you wait?

Comments

• remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    So was I in the minority in school for always writing my own essays? I have always thought English to be one of the most important subjects. Mainly because the entire subject is about being able to express ideas clearly and making it seem like your ideas are the right ideas.

This may sound pretty shallow and ignorant but from what I have experienced,

What you have to say isn't nearly as important as how you say it.
  • salle123salle123 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    im playing drakensang and LOL,also waiting for Age of Wulin
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    Do they even read what they copied ?My teachers at the university fobid us to copy stuff from the internet..it has to be hand written.

It is against the rules where I work as well and it is an issue of academic dishonesty so it can result in their dismissal from the school. Many of our assignments are turned in digitally specifically so we can use the plagiarism software we have, the old days of hand written work meant if the student was sneaky enough about it we might miss it, now the software does a comparison of words as well as other things and give us a percentage match and the source.
    So was I in the minority in school for always writing my own essays? I have always thought English to be one of the most important subjects. Mainly because the entire subject is about being able to express ideas clearly and making it seem like your ideas are the right ideas.

This may sound pretty shallow and ignorant but from what I have experienced,

What you have to say isn't nearly as important as how you say it.

I don't think that is shallow or ignorant. For my undergrads I don't expect amazingly original thoughts, especially for those in the introduction classes. I would take a student who was unoriginal in their ideas, but knew how to express themselves and cite their sources over an extremely original, but undecipherable student any day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • remedialhappymanremedialhappyman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    I don't have any evidence to back this up but I still would be willing to bet that the higher concentration of students and people able to problem solve to original solutions is much more dense with the students capable of presenting information clearly.

I still need to strengthen my knowledge of syntax even though I have a decent grasp on structuring paragraphs and essays.

I have a very tough time with coma splicing and run on sentences.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    The only time I ever plagiarized was as a freshman in HS. It was a five person group project and I got assigned to be with four...academically incompetent...classmates. Since I was the only one who cared to hand in the paper let alone do well on it I got bogged down and took around a page or two from the internet and reworded every sentence.

Sucked and as soon as I handed it in I expected to be hauled off for doing it but retribution never came. I think the teacher just felt bad for me since he knew exactly what was happening. Just dumb luck for the best student in the class to end up with the worst four.

But even since then plagiarism detection tools have advanced tenfold. There's always a few freshman college students every year who try to cheat the system and fail miserably. And I am sure it's quite an expensive failure as well.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    zoooper wrote: »
    Amen brother! I'll take Tom and Jerry over pokemons every day.

I pretty much dislike anime and manga and all that japanese and corean fantasy. Sadly, most f2p mmo borrows heavily from some asian subcultures and use anime like graphics with oversized weapons, weird looking characters and and series of big colored flashy numbers arising over mobs heads when you hit mobs.

If you're going to do some MMORPGS for western market, please do it in western way, using western fantasy and western style of drawing.

WOW, LOTRO, Rift have more success than anime based <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, thus proofing my rant.

It's Korean BTW

Please, calling Pokemon "Anime" is like calling Terrence and Phillip serious carton commentary. Anime is a distinct storytelling genre in the video animation world, while Manga is the written/drawn one. Just because something is animated, doesn't mean it all is in the same genre. This is what annoys me with the Western world of thinking that animation=children. That's as true saying any book that has a picture must be dumb. It's a cultural hurdle I have to get past many, and the habit of this side of the world running animation only for kids including the Asian imports perpetrates it more than D&D is occult worship even.

Anime is to Film Noir what Pokemon is to Rush Hour 3. Love it or hate it, fine. But don't lump the steak with the Jumbo Jack.

And it's the WESTERN people who often propagate this in their "newer" games. Yes, many Western World people who see only the "Kiddie Cartoon" animation then make the animation over-sized and ridiculous. Eastern gaming companies do this too, marketing to young kids sometimes more than the adults. Then everybody copies the last success and...miserable.

But Japan is known for this style too, and they really need to ask if what works for their shows and game shows always ports internationally.
    Case in point: Just because they can sell undergarments from a vending machine that are...let's say used and from a particular gender and age group, doesn't mean it works anywhere else just because it's successful enough for a certain marketing population of a sub-culture.

We'd never buy undergarments used form a vending machine in this country, and only fools think because it makes money it must work anywhere. Just because it's not so "extreme" an example, doesn't mean companies can't do due diligence before blasting us with these ideas ad nauseam. Such a concept for any location must be remembered, and I still pray movie makers will remember that before inundating us with that one plot concept that seemed a bit new since showing it 37 more times makes it as tired as they are trying to avoid.

But not holding my breath.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • seu1seu1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Playing alot of TSW. Guilty pleasure in playing DBZ Ultimate Tenkaichi, the idea of making my own saiyan seemed pretty cool. Doing New Game+ on Dragon's Dogma. And killing myself in DayZ. Painting my Chaos Warrior army for some weekend Warhammer fantasy battles.

Keepin' busy ^_^
  • nachinekonachineko Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Please, calling Pokemon "Anime" is like calling Terrence and Phillip serious carton commentary. Anime is a distinct storytelling genre in the video animation world, while Manga is the written/drawn one. Just because something is animated, doesn't mean it all is in the same genre. This is what annoys me with the Western world of thinking that animation=children. That's as true saying any book that has a picture must be dumb. It's a cultural hurdle I have to get past many, and the habit of this side of the world running animation only for kids including the Asian imports perpetrates it more than D&D is occult worship even.

Anime is to Film Noir what Pokemon is to Rush Hour 3. Love it or hate it, fine. But don't lump the steak with the Jumbo Jack.

Technically speaking there is no difference between Pokemon and any other Japanese animation. The term is used to define any animation originating from Japan, or animation in general to the Japanese themselves. Regardless of their artistic style, or content, you could argue that there is no difference between Urotsukidōji and Pokemon. They might come from different genres, but they're both anime.
  • seu1seu1 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Urotsukidōji and Pokemon. They might come from different genres, but they're both anime.

Lol, so true...but still, Urotsokidoji/Legend of the Overfiend is QUITE the stretch from Pokemon, but I see the comparison you were going for.

Anime is, in fact, Japanese animation. Pokemon was animated by Japanese folks, so anime.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    But Japan is known for this style too, and they really need to ask if what works for their shows and game shows always ports internationally.

Thing with the Japanese gaming market is, it's rather insulated, and 99% of developers/publishers aren't interesting in Western localization and therefore don't design games with that in mind. Their games do also seem to be aimed at younger audiences than in the West. Very little of what comes from Japan is designed to suit the tastes of Western consumers, so you basically either like it or you don't. There's a niche for it, but it'll never be AAA mainstream.

P.S. There are actually significant differences between Japanese and Korean comic-book art style, even if the latter borrows much from the former.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    nachineko wrote: »
    Technically speaking there is no difference between Pokemon and any other Japanese animation. The term is used to define any animation originating from Japan, or animation in general to the Japanese themselves. Regardless of their artistic style, or content, you could argue that there is no difference between Urotsukidōji and Pokemon. They might come from different genres, but they're both anime.
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Thing with the Japanese gaming market is, it's rather insulated, and 99% of developers/publishers aren't interesting in Western localization and therefore don't design games with that in mind. Their games do also seem to be aimed at younger audiences than in the West. Very little of what comes from Japan is designed to suit the tastes of Western consumers, so you basically either like it or you don't. There's a niche for it, but it'll never be AAA mainstream.

P.S. There are actually significant differences between Japanese and Korean comic-book art style, even if the latter borrows much from the former.

We'te both right in regards to all animation and a specific genre or style it seems seu1. I hate quoting wikis but it's hard to find novels that talk about the progression of the late 70's early 80's popularity wise for cultural identification, and scan it. Instead of me doing that for a forum post, I'll accept this

From the Wiki Anime entry:
    Anime (アニメ?, [a.ni.me] (13px-Speaker_Icon.svg.pnglisten); 11px-Speakerlink.svg.pngi/ˈ?nɨm/ or /ˈɑːnɨm/) are Japanese cartoons and computer animation.[1] The word is the Japanese abbreviated pronunciation of "animation". The intended meaning of the term sometimes varies depending on the context.[2]
    While the earliest known Japanese animation dates to 1917, and many original Japanese animations were produced in the ensuing decades, the characteristic anime style developed in the 1960s?notably with the work of Osamu Tezuka?and became known outside Japan in the 1980s.
    Anime, like manga, has a large audience in Japan and recognition throughout the world. Distributors can release anime via television broadcasts, directly to video, or theatrically, as well as online.
    Both hand-drawn and computer-animated anime exist. It is used in television series, films, video, video games, commercials, and internet-based releases, and represents most, if not all, genres of fiction. As the market for anime increased in Japan, it also gained popularity in East and Southeast Asia. Anime is currently popular in many different regions around the world.

and
    Visual characteristics

Many commentators refer to anime as an art form.[24] As a visual medium, it can emphasize visual styles. The styles can vary from artist to artist or from studio to studio. Some titles make extensive use of common stylization: FLCL, for example, has a reputation for wild, exaggerated stylization. Other titles use different methods: Only Yesterday or Jin-Roh take much more realistic approaches, featuring few stylistic exaggerations; Pok?mon uses drawings which specifically do not distinguish the nationality of characters.[25]
    While different titles and different artists have their own artistic styles, many stylistic elements have become so common that describe them as definitive of anime in general. However, this does not mean that all modern anime share one strict, common art-style. Many anime have a very different art style from what would commonly be called "anime style", yet fans still use the word "anime" to refer to these titles. Generally, the most common form of anime drawings include "exaggerated physical features such as large eyes, big hair and elongated limbs... and dramatically shaped speech bubbles, speed lines and onomatopoeic, exclamatory typography."[26]
    The influences of Japanese calligraphy and Japanese painting also characterize linear qualities of the anime style. The round ink brush traditionally used for writing kanji and for painting, produces a stroke of widely varying thickness.
    Anime also tends to borrow many elements from manga, including text in the background and panel layouts. For example, an opening may employ manga panels to tell the story, or to dramatize a point for humorous effect. See for example the anime Kare Kano.

And yeah that was what I was implying ausdoerrt what you quoted me on. I will claim ignorance on differences between countries' manga. I like them occasionally, but nowhere near the Anime..err, video Anime I know much more on.

It would just be nice if the stuff now exported wasn't for 6-year olds in their home country video-wise. While I'd now order it online via the net over a specialty store, it still feels esoteric if I'm looking for quality programming in this venue without people expecting it to be a cartoon level development western-world speaking. But then again, now everything is the oder of the niche, so maybe this whole paragraph is moot.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • beatrixareforkidsbeatrixareforkids Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    ~ In like 3-4 days playing XCom til the wheels fall off

~ PvP in Guild Wars 2

~ Getting busy with the new Wild Mage in Baldur's Gate EE

~ Trying to find any/all info i can on Project Eternity

But Mostly....

~ Performing voodoo rituals to get a higher up to slip me a Neverwinter Beta Key
    edited October 2012

~ PvP in Guild Wars 2

But Mostly....

~ Performing voodoo rituals to get a higher up to slip me a Neverwinter Beta Key

Keep me posted on Xcom...and oh,, you're a BG wild mage fan too?!

Sorta sad they moved the wild mage to sorcerer in 4th ed, but it makes sense.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    Look folks. The important thing is that we agree on one thing. Adult Swim's version of Shin Chan was fan-freakin-tastic.
    edited October 2012
    It would just be nice if the stuff now exported wasn't for 6-year olds in their home country video-wise. While I'd now order it online via the net over a specialty store, it still feels esoteric if I'm looking for quality programming in this venue without people expecting it to be a cartoon level development western-world speaking. But then again, now everything is the oder of the niche, so maybe this whole paragraph is moot.

*Shrug* Fansubs or official streams. Simulcasts are the new industry standards, which means you get the stuff within a week of its air time. The infrastructure for basic anime localization is very well-developed these days, unlike, say, videogames.
    edited October 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    Look folks. The important thing is that we agree on one thing. Adult Swim's version of Shin Chan was fan-freakin-tastic.
    Seconded!

ausdoerrt wrote: »
    *Shrug* Fansubs or official streams. Simulcasts are the new industry standards, which means you get the stuff within a week of its air time. The infrastructure for basic anime localization is very well-developed these days, unlike, say, videogames.

True, true. It may take years to see how this affects the whole Anime culture internationally.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2012
    Well, streams and simulcasts have certainly already brought many of the anime fans who shunned fansubs for various reasons a lot more up-to-date with current trends and shows. 50-80% of every new anime season is being streamed officially these days. I'd say that's a big change in awareness. I highly doubt there'll be a backward feedback anytime soon though, because ultimately the Japanese make anime for themselves and earn very little from overseas fans.

As for BG, I never found it in me to complete the first installment, but in BGII the Wild Mage was one overpowered SoB, especially considering ToB "cheese". As chances of harmful "wild effects" approached 0, being able to cast level IX-X spells as often as level I spells seemed very unbalanced.

And yeah, now that you say it, moving them to sorc makes perfect sense. There's little in the Wild Mage description that agrees with the way a wizard would behave or operate.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited October 2012

~ PvP in Guild Wars 2

But Mostly....

I thought Baldurs Gate EE wasn't due out till November???
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • pilf3rpilf3r Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Messed around in cs5 last night, I'm not very good at it though lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Neverwinter Thieves Guild
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    pilf3r wrote: »

As someone who knows his way around Photoshop, it looks like you did pretty darn good to me. Nice sig!

PS: just spent 5 minutes on it for kicks & giggles, and came up with several funky variations, for your amusement :)...

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2evtdme.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2yo7edg.jpg

and a cleaned/smoothed up version.. just up a tad..

http://oi48.tinypic.com/332z5sz.jpg

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • pegoliuspegolius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited October 2012
    What are you doing while you wait for your invite (hopefully) to closed beta?

Playing DDO. Which I've done on and off since its release. Our small group of 4 friends has tried so many other MMO's over the years but we always went back to DDO after some time.
    "It is a mistake to bow to the wishes of munchkins who whine." - E. Gary Gygax 1938-2008
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012

Loving that sig. Very well done!
    edited October 2012
    As someone who knows his way around Photoshop, it looks like you did pretty darn good to me. Nice sig!

PS: just spent 5 minutes on it for kicks & giggles, and came up with several funky variations, for your amusement :)...

http://oi50.tinypic.com/2evtdme.jpg

http://oi47.tinypic.com/2yo7edg.jpg

and a cleaned/smoothed up version.. just up a tad..

http://oi48.tinypic.com/332z5sz.jpg

Cool thnx. Keep in mind the "fire resource" i used is from resurgere from deviant art and when used outside DA you have to give credit to them and let them know on @DA

I will most likely redo it at some point with my own fire sources! This was the first time I used cs5 so was a get to know the ui run. Have to say I fracking hate the teeny ui font size on wind 7 64bit on my 47" hdtv screen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Cool thnx. Keep in mind the "fire resource" i used is from resurgere from deviant art and when used outside DA you have to give credit to them and let them know on @DA

I will most likely redo it at some point with my own fire sources! This was the first time I used cs5 so was a get to know the ui run. Have to say I fracking hate the teeny ui font size on wind 7 64bit on my 47" hdtv screen

If you are having problems with credits on Asmodeus with fire, probably I can make one for you on gimp. My fires aren't exceptionally good, but are done from ground's up. I will post the link here once I am finished.
    edited October 2012
    Here is a simple burn image of Asmodeus. Let me know if you want different font, more red, etc.

EDIT: A better one.
    edited October 2012
    Thxs guys :) but I just do this cause it's fun and passes the time, I'm not really looking for peeps to make me a siggy.

That's is very nice though gillrmn, I prefer the scriptina font I used though
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Here is a simple burn image of Asmodeus. Let me know if you want different font, more red, etc.

EDIT: A better one.

they are nice man, nice job
    edited October 2012
    One last one. 2

Though it would theme with Neverwinter. I don't have your font though ...
  • ghosty2aghosty2a Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Anti-Spam bump ;)
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2012
    I was surprised with and gifted a copy of Mists of Pandaria a few days ago and a months' subscription for both of my accounts there... so yeah.. I'm back to playing WoW for a month, while waiting for Neverwinter.

DDO keeps on trying to temp me back... Just got an email from them about a new Netherese update... Update 16: The Netherese Legacy.

Oriphanun Huntsilver is not the only disappearance! His journal, containing a fabled Nether Scroll, has also vanished and the Harpers are in need of your help to retrieve it!
    Use caution as you voyage down the High Road, as Netherese agents will stop at nothing to gain possession of the Scroll!

Sadly, too little too late for me. DDO should have been Forgotten Realms from day one... Thankfully, I keep winning my willpower checks.