Options

Make NW subscription or p2p because we don't like being discriminated

Comments

• Options
    vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wifeaggr0 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVblxKjkTDE

3mins 56secs "collectors editions that you can get with more tangible benefits as well"

My guess is that it will be some big boost/fluff/unlockables pack that you can buy. Think something like the Collector's Edition of LoL.
    Idk, we'll see - he did say "possibly"...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wifeaggr0wifeaggr0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Nice catch :)

Thankyou Mr Stormdragon. Mr Ryvvik posted it here http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=194441#post194441
    vindicon wrote: »
    he did say "possibly"...
    and heading states Mentioned.
  • Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    So, a couple of things on this thread:

1) I never got angry because you, or anyone else didn't like the bear smilies. I'm sorry if you felt that, but I believe that what I actually said was something along the lines of, "If bear smilies are the biggest complaint about the forum switch over, then I'd say we did a pretty good job."

I stand by that comment as well. Smilies and emoticons are nice to have, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

However, to put some of your fears at ease, please understand and know that a part of the things which have been keeping me from being more active here has been work on the forums, so that we can improve them for you all. No ETA at this time, but it's something I'm working on.

ok i apologise for that
    2) Make Neverwinter P2P because you don't like being discriminated against?

This has to be the most confusing request I've ever seen in my 3.5 years as a community manager.

We're making this game free-to-play so that you can play it, and choose to pay as much, or as little money as you want to pay into it. I honestly struggle to see how this is a bad thing.

I don't know how giving you something you want for free can be considered discriminatory, against you. I also see, from the replies to this thread, that so far, the majority is not in favor of taking Neverwinter pay to play.

I wouldn't go as far as to judge the opinions of majority, but I still stand by my points. The merger with CO forums was better and more flexible compared to here and most of the feature available to CO forums immediately after merger were not available to us for long. Even when the traffic on this website was low, meaning it was much convenient to do it - not to mention low priority of something going wrong.
    3) As far as my mod selections go: If you don't like one of them, please vote for one of the other two. No one has superceded any popular choice of the community, in fact, you guys are getting the final say here.

I've narrowed the field based on the applications I received, and my opinions of those applications. I then narrowed it further by sending out an interview questionnaire, and comparing the responses of those whom responded to that.

There were excellent candidates that I didn't hear back from in time for the poll, some of whom were sure things for the role.

It is not the mods choice which irritated me, it was the motivation behind the choices. Already I find that these forums are low priority compared to other games, and on top of that your motivation is not how much helpful the mods actually are here on these forums but their experience on other forums. And of course it rattled -though your choice may be logical as those mods are already present on Internet a lot so can be more present - but your complete reliance on that factor also shows that for those choices these forums may not be a priority at all but just something to tab-click and check.
    This shouldn't be something to get upset about, it should be something to celebrate. You guys are getting to choose who will be moderating the forums. It's something new that I'm trying with you all first, and I'm hoping it works out well.

If it doesn't, then next time we decide to add mods, I'll just remove the voting portion of the selection process.

The forums here are very important to us. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to be involved here as much as I would like. I'm trying to change that. It's getting better.

However, making threads saying you don't like the direction of the game based on the fact that you feel insulted that we're making a AAA game available for you to play for free, is certainly not helping this community either.

I mean, free is a pretty good price. In fact, I struggle to think of anything which I either want, or desire to use on a regular basis that I would not like to be able to get for free.

So please, let's take a step back, and see what we can do to improve the community, instead of ripping it apart with threads like this.

Thanks,

Stormshade

I do agree that this discussion does not help at all so I would like to drop it. I perhaps shouldn't even have started it, but I felt like sharing my honest opinion. Also I am not saying your choices of mods are lacking - only thing I am concerned about is that priority of "Neverwinter community formed here" seems pretty low. If you are saying I am wrong, then I would like to take a step back and watch while you prove me wrong. And if you do prove me wrong, I will be happy and congratulate you while apologising for being a skeptic. But until you do prove me wrong, I will be skeptical.
  • Options
    aeroth001aeroth001 Member Posts: 420 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn is to nice to continue but i am not that nice.

you and the rest of the cryptic (at least the ones that develop NW) posts here on the forum or interactions with the fans are like water in the desert.

Most of the information here and most of the work on this forum was made by the fans.
    How can we trust a game that it's comunity manager spoke to us like once a month ?

There were allready allot of question marks with this game and the lack of comunication only raises other question marks. I really hope the acctivity of the cryptic development managers & the mods,admins,comunity managers here on the forum increases significantly.

It takes 10 minutes to browse around the forum and post some answers or have a friendy chat with the fans.

All the companies go to hell an back to get hype around they're games they spamn social sites and comercial it everywere and NW got a huge D&D fanbase but you guys to nothing to get people attracted to the game you keep it a mistery and hoping that a magical djin will promot the game for you

p.s. please please add more emoticons
  • Options
    stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I personally think Stormshade gave very logical explanations, folks just don't get what it's like to work as a MMO dev, it's a labour of love because the pressure is enormous, you are usually wearing at least three hats and your average work day is fourteen to sixteen hours a day and that isn't when you're in crunch time.

And despite that some devs still find the time to take on special side projects (like improving the forums) mostly on their own dime...and you're doing all that while being berated by your so called fans.

Unless you have actually wore those moccasins, you really can't know what it's like, the company I consult for has many many people who use to work in the industry including me, long hours low pay and a fickle consumer base makes enterprise software development very lucrative, example it's Friday and I'm sipping a Iced tea in the comfort of my own home, because I knocked off at noon today....that would never happened when I was consulting with SOE or Turbine.

My wish is for folks to try and understand the nature of the business before screaming "not good enough!!!!"
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • Options
    aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,366 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, a couple of things on this thread:

1) I never got angry because you, or anyone else didn't like the bear smilies.

Are you really defending the bear smilies again? The smiles werent the biggest complaint about the forum. There were plenty of other complaints and suggestions, ALL which have been ignored by your staff.

However, to put some of your fears at ease, please understand and know that a part of the things which have been keeping me from being more active here has been work on the forums, so that we can improve them for you all. No ETA at this time, but it's something I'm working on.

Couldnt you just of said Soon(r)? ;)

2) Make Neverwinter P2P because you don't like being discriminated against?

This has to be the most confusing request I've ever seen in my 3.5 years as a community manager.

I didnt agree with it either, but insulting a future customer/fellow forumite isn't good technique. Continually excusing yourself from these forums have been heard and quite frankly is old news. He's got a right to feel angry, and should be allowed to express it as long as he doesnt break any forum language rules.

I don't know how giving you something you want for free can be considered discriminatory, against you. I also see, from the replies to this thread, that so far, the majority is not in favor of taking Neverwinter pay to play.

My concerns focus more on pay to win and that "grab bag" boloney you offer on CO and STO. I hope neither sees the light of day in Neverwinter.

3) As far as my mod selections go: If you don't like one of them, please vote for one of the other two. No one has superceded any popular choice of the community, in fact, you guys are getting the final say here.

I've narrowed the field based on the applications I received, and my opinions of those applications. I then narrowed it further by sending out an interview questionnaire, and comparing the responses of those whom responded to that.

There were excellent candidates that I didn't hear back from in time for the poll, some of whom were sure things for the role.

So you excluded admittedly good candidates because THEY failed to get back at you, after they already got back to you? Maybe your method was wrong Storm.

This shouldn't be something to get upset about, it should be something to celebrate. You guys are getting to choose who will be moderating the forums. It's something new that I'm trying with you all first, and I'm hoping it works out well.

If it doesn't, then next time we decide to add mods, I'll just remove the voting portion of the selection process.

You seem quite angry. I think you need a good vacation. Or, maybe PW/Cryptic needs to pony up and pay someone to get stuff done.

The forums here are very important to us. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to be involved here as much as I would like. I'm trying to change that. It's getting better.

Do they mean a lot to you? I havent noticed. By what measure is it getting better Storm? You are still apologizing so how much better did it really get?

However, making threads saying you don't like the direction of the game based on the fact that you feel insulted that we're making a AAA game available for you to play for free, is certainly not helping this community either.

Why shouldn't he give his opinion? I dont agree with it very much, but I see where he is coming from. I like the direction of the game - but please dont browbeat us that Cryptic cares about this forum. Its been a ghost town for a year. Its getting better, but its not because of ANYTHING Cryptic has done to this forum.

I mean, free is a pretty good price. In fact, I struggle to think of anything which I either want, or desire to use on a regular basis that I would not like to be able to get for free.

I agree 100% here. However, I wish to support you guys for a great game. I can buy consumables (I dont care much about vanity, personally), and I can donate $$ for good Foundry content providers. I will be supporting this community. My concerns are pay 2 win, exploiters, custom build creation/leveling options, and having enough class variety.

So please, let's take a step back, and see what we can do to improve the community, instead of ripping it apart with threads like this.

I think communication would have alleviated most of Gill's comments, and those of us that have left this forum long ago, haven given up on broken promises and "no comments" from marketing.

Here's my comments in yellowgreen.

This might seem harsh Storm, but I really do like you, its just that you seem extremely tense of late and hopefully the mods you've chosen for us (sorry, but that's the truth) will have a brighter outlook.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Dear stromshade,

With all your actions you have once again shown by reaffirming my fears that NW-forums is just a mistress of cryptic and can never become wife. First you got angry when we suggested that bear smileys were abomination while talking about lot of deficiency in forums, but in CO you allowed them to use old smileys. And not only smileys, but many other features available to CO forums after merger were not immediately available to NW forums.

NW forums have always been a leech to NW game, never enhancing its reputation. Last action being (and no-actions at all in between) superseding popular choice from community of mod and bringing in a moderator of another forums who posts the introduction the day poll results are declared.

Now I am not a hypocrite to say I would congratulate your actions, but you do have all right to do them. All I ask in turn is that you stay honest to your words. When someone did post earlier being angry at made FR their favourite realm as f2p, you assured that it was AAA game. But compared to your actions on other forums and excuses (Everyone at cryptic has too much work to interact with community - pathetic excuse), why don't you just make it p2p or semi-p2p(LTS and all) like other games so that those who like this game don't feel discriminated against - compared to other games by cryptic.

I agree with the majority of what you said here Gill, but that last part. We do not want p2p. A GOOD free to play model will be best for this game. That means no pay2win, no grab bags.

Also, I'd rather give Stormshade a pass for now. Poor guy's always apologizing. The problem isnt him, its the suits above him that's the problem.

I just think Cryptic is onto something here - I think they've got a winner of a game-to-be. Its just the lack of communication and interaction with the community that's really been an eyesore.

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    My wish is for folks to try and understand the nature of the business before screaming "not good enough!!!!"

Well pardon me for asking the comunity manager to manage the comunity...mea culpa
    Or even worse to ask an game developing studio to market it's product better...they probably wanna not make money...mea culpa again

here take an ugly bear instead of the classic potato b:bye
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Here's my comments in yellowgreen.

This might seem harsh Storm, but I really do like you, its just that you seem extremely tense of late and hopefully the mods you've chosen for us (sorry, but that's the truth) will have a brighter outlook.

I really think your'e out of line for saying he chose the mods for us, if that was the case the two mods would have just showed up and started laying down the law, what all of us wanted were mods that were non-biased and could keep the forums free of trolling rants and spam...he gave us three very good candidates to choose from and really getting bent out of shape because he didn't choose someones favorite pick makes his decision all the better in my point of view.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    aeroth001 wrote: »
    Well pardon me for asking the comunity manager to manage the comunity...mea culpa
    Or even worse to ask an game developing studio to market it's product better...they probably wanna not make money...mea culpa again

here take an ugly bear instead of the classic potato b:bye

I will name the ugly Bear Ranty Overthetopski and give him the attention he so desperately craves. b:pleased
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lol he's not beeing out of line he just expresing his oppinion !!!

May Oghma lay his hand on you young one.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Lol he's not beeing out of line he just expresing his oppinion !!!

May Oghma lay his hand on you young one.

"Opinion's" are great, but telling someone they seem too tense when they have been quite nice in explaining the situation and then accusing them of choosing mods for us (please don't speak for me) is quite more than an opinion.

Also...Twenty three year old's should never call anyone "Young One" /eyeroll
  • Options
    catburger003catburger003 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    No. Not everyone wants to spend every month.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I want to HAMSTER in Neverwinter, whenever I want, for as long as I want.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I really think your'e out of line for saying he chose the mods for us, if that was the case the two mods would have just showed up and started laying down the law, what all of us wanted were mods that were non-biased and could keep the forums free of trolling rants and spam...he gave us three very good candidates to choose from and really getting bent out of shape because he didn't choose someones favorite pick makes his decision all the better in my point of view.

And I think Stormshade is out of line jumping on a poster as he did here. I have a right to my opinion. I'm not bent out of shape or even upset, but I think his tact was off here. I do agree with your "need to understand a devs life" stream, it definitely is not easy.

I just feel there's been some poor decision making thus far, amongst some very good ones. The forums I dont consider to be one of Cryptics crowning achievements thus far.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    "Opinion's" are great, but telling someone they seem too tense when they have been quite nice in explaining the situation and then accusing them of choosing mods for us (please don't speak for me) is quite more than an opinion.

Also...Twenty three year old's should never call anyone "Young One" /eyeroll

My body is young but my mind is older than you can imagine. And this is not a joke or a roleplay, But enough talking about me or you, let's not get personal.
    The point is that we all can speak our minds as long as we are civilized and he was civilized so let the man speak.
    As you can tell me that you disagree with me i can tell you that i disagree with you.

Here take another bear so the first don't get lonely b:laugh
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Can I donate a bear too?

b:lipcurl <--- ElvisBear?

• Options
    edited September 2012
    My body is young but my mind is older than you can imagine. And this is not a joke or a roleplay, But enough talking about me or you, let's not get personal.
    The point is that we all can speak our minds as long as we are civilized and he was civilized so let the man speak.
    As you can tell me that you disagree with me i can tell you that i disagree with you.

Here take another bear so the first don't get lonely b:laugh

Ohhhhh I will name him Mr. Stumpy-paws

And yeah we agree to disagree.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Ohhhhh I will name him Mr. Stumpy-paws

http://socialmediaseo.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/gary-coleman-video.jpg

(I'm probably old enough to be Mr Crumbly-paws! :))

• Options
    edited September 2012
    http://socialmediaseo.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/gary-coleman-video.jpg

(I'm probably old enough to be Mr Crumbly-paws! :))

*sniff* I don't expect everyone to understand my bear collection :P

"More Tea Mr. Stumpy-paws?"
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    *sniff* I don't expect everyone to understand my bear collection :P

Didn't a young rising music star say something like that once upon a year? ;)

http://youtu.be/E9yTFhoKe_c

"Thank you, Thangya very much!"

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I have to be honest, I don't get the whole "Make NW subscription or p2p because we don't like being discriminated" argument Gill. The title of the OP is inflammatory (which I think is the bulk of what a few in here had a problem with), and just dont get where the discrimination part comes in.

I would like to see this... "peace and love" thread....... end with some positive incite, err insight. ;)

• Options
    gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I have to be honest, I don't get the whole "Make NW subscription or p2p because we don't like being discriminated" argument Gill. The title of the OP is inflammatory (which I think is the bulk of what a few in here had a problem with), and just dont get where the discrimination part comes in.

Actually my logic was simple. It had often been said that devs are too busy for forums but compared to other cryptic game forums, in those games devs are busy too. Their forums get better treatment than us. What is the difference? -> LTS -> we should have LTS too to be heard. I felt that perhaps having only free players makes community insignificant.

Maybe it was stupid, maybe it was not - but I do agree with stromshade that this thread is not helping the game. Lets just drop this discussion here and see if having mods changes the treatment as compared to other cryptic forums.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Actually my logic was simple. It had often been said that devs are too busy for forums but compared to other cryptic game forums, in those games devs are busy too. Their forums get better treatment than us. What is the difference? -> LTS -> we should have LTS too to be heard. I felt that perhaps having only free players makes community insignificant.

Maybe it was stupid, maybe it was not - but I do agree with stromshade that this thread is not helping the game. Lets just drop this discussion here and see if having mods changes the treatment as compared to other cryptic forums.

Ahh ok. That's an altogether different way to explain things. I'll agree with the way you just stated it (except again the f2p statement, but its ok to have a difference of opinion), and also believe this thread should probably be closed and/or be done away with on that note.

• Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    SO andy states collectors ed in the end of the pax prime videos, any info on how it will be gained
    Pretty sure he just mentions an "upcoming beta release schedule". We haven't announced any plans for a collector's edition at this time.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    wifeaggr0 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVblxKjkTDE

3mins 56secs "collectors editions that you can get with more tangible benefits as well"
    but I do agree with stormshade that this thread is not helping the game. Lets just drop this discussion here and see if having mods changes the treatment as compared to other cryptic forums.[/COLOR][/B]

Some good things came out of it, guess marketing isnt talking to mods? or that bit wasnt supposed to be released yet.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    [/COLOR][/B]

Well, here's the real difference between these forums and the other Cryptic games forums: They have a game to talk about. We don't.
    Yeah, they have lifetimers, so what? We'll have certain people spending a LTS's worth of cash on the game each month... In the end of the day, both f2p and p2p games have lots of people spending loads of cash on them. And in fact, f2p games make more money. So I'm sorry, but your line of thought is completey flawed...

Until NW's beta is out, the people over at Cryptic and PWE have better things to do than worrying how awesome their forums, and so do the actual forum people. And this forum is not even that bad - the only things it lacks are avatars and proper smilies - in other words, fluff. In regards to actual functionality it is more or less as good as it needs to be. We have proper subforums, stickies, a fully functional search, we'll soon have mods filtering out the trash... besides the fact that it could look a bit better, which is not all that important, what else do you really need out of this forum at this specific time, when the beta is not even in the horizon yet?

You could at least be appreciative to the fact that we even have a forum. If this was Frogster or ArenaNet there wouldn't be any forum at all until the game was good to go...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Well, here's the real difference between these forums and the other Cryptic games forums: They have a game to talk about. We don't.
    Yeah, they have lifetimers, so what? We'll have certain people spending a LTS's worth of cash on the game each month... In the end of the day, both f2p and p2p games have lots of people spending loads of cash on them. And in fact, f2p games make more money. So I'm sorry, but your line of thought is completey flawed......

Look based on the info the F2P model seems to be the way to go, but if there was merger of the two a paid sub, box whatever some would like it as well, IMO that the title was more to express dissapointment and grab the attention, of somebody!

Until NW's beta is out, the people over at Cryptic and PWE have better things to do than worrying how awesome their forums, and so do the actual forum people. And this forum is not even that bad - the only things it lacks are avatars and proper smilies - in other words, fluff

Yeah i dunno man, i would have thought this is part of an attraction, to posting and hype level, Imo that they have decided to put more into mobile advertising, than desktop pc base. most hits facebook/titter before it gets updated here.
    In regards to actual functionality it is more or less as good as it needs to be.

Yeah its functional, but Truths Faq sticky how many times to people cut and paste that to new guys that ask the same questions again and again, i mean this sticky should stick out like a set of great danes Nutz, it needs flashing lights or something, the forum lacks some sort of divisional setup, maybe its the rezz im running my monitor at.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Didn't a young rising music star say something like that once upon a year? ;)

http://youtu.be/E9yTFhoKe_c

"Thank you, Thangya very much!"

Thangya everybody, Thangaya Colonel Parker...Priscilla I wantcha back b:lipcurl
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Thangya everybody, Thangaya Colonel Parker...Priscilla I wantcha back b:lipcurl

I prefer this performance

Tank yew berry much!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I prefer this performance

Tank yew berry much!

The best, although Eddie Murphy's take on Elvis was hilarious too, but that one's a bit too risque to post here.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    Yeah its functional, but Truths Faq sticky how many times to people cut and paste that to new guys that ask the same questions again and again, i mean this sticky should stick out like a set of great danes Nutz, it needs flashing lights or something, the forum lacks some sort of divisional setup, maybe its the rezz im running my monitor at.

Welcome to every forum ever, where people are too lazy to search and too stupid to realise that seaching for the answer is much quicker than posting and waiting for a reply...

Not even Neon signs are gonna reverse humanity's colletive idiocy...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]