test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Make NW subscription or p2p because we don't like being discriminated

gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
edited October 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Dear stromshade,

With all your actions you have once again shown by reaffirming my fears that NW-forums is just a mistress of cryptic and can never become wife. First you got angry when we suggested that bear smileys were abomination while talking about lot of deficiency in forums, but in CO you allowed them to use old smileys. And not only smileys, but many other features available to CO forums after merger were not immediately available to NW forums.

NW forums have always been a leech to NW game, never enhancing its reputation. Last action being (and no-actions at all in between) superseding popular choice from community of mod and bringing in a moderator of another forums who posts the introduction the day poll results are declared.

Now I am not a hypocrite to say I would congratulate your actions, but you do have all right to do them. All I ask in turn is that you stay honest to your words. When someone did post earlier being angry at made FR their favourite realm as f2p, you assured that it was AAA game. But compared to your actions on other forums and excuses (Everyone at cryptic has too much work to interact with community - pathetic excuse), why don't you just make it p2p or semi-p2p(LTS and all) like other games so that those who like this game don't feel discriminated against - compared to other games by cryptic.
Post edited by gillrmn on

Comments

• vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Ehm... what? Are you serious?

Yeah, the forums could certainly be better than what they are right now, but how on earth is NW being f2p a discrimination compaired to the other games of cryptic? According to what logic? And how does that even connect with the stuff you said before that?

If anything, f2p is infinitely better than the half-baked freemium model that only exists because games designed as p2p cannot fully support f2p.

And making it p2p? Are you out of your mind? Have you taken a look at what the p2p titles out there are and how they fare?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Did you heard that? It was me facepalming epically.

CO forums are those of a stablished game running for a few years now. The traffic there is surely quite superior to that of this forum (as important as you may consider yourselves).

Stormshade getting angry because the children were complaining about bears? Yeah, I can get behind that. Not that I'm truly a fan of the bears, mind you. b:chuckle But there were quite important stuff to worry about.

"popular choice from community of mod"? So what the "old guard" says is more important than stormshade doing his job of reading all the applications and such? Wooooooow! You have a poll right now where you can get that "popular choice" going on. Exactly working as stormshade said.

Oh, did you bother to read the introduction of bubbabinsky by any chance? Because you don't sound like you read it. Or understood it. But hey, apparently if you are not a certified Neverwinter grognard, you cannot apply to a job as moderator here. Sweet.

I'd offer you a pacifier but... meh. Ask your buddies one. Not that I cannot agree that forums could be better run but this thread is like andre's about $pam.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    So when Andy said that in one of the videos i posted that an collectors edition was going to be (possibly?) offered, that would be an online purchase (cash shop) yeah? or could it be that it becomes a sub thingie?

Im still a sceptic on the whole F2P, im happy to pay sub, or buy the box (without the box) i just wanna beta.

Sorry Gilly to hijack here but i still wanna ask a question about beta key's i have entered my pax key, but i have a TLII key, so if i dont get chosen for Cbeta under my pax key, should i use the TLII key to guarentee non day 1 beta access.
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    LOL ! Pass a key here :D

well i would if i could get an answer ( i know truths sticky, but it doesnt really confirm that scenario), my first question for Zeb or Amb, to ask stormshade when you hit the mod status.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    vindicon wrote: »
    Ehm... what? Are you serious?

Yeah, the forums could certainly be better than what they are right now, but how on earth is NW being f2p a discrimination compaired to the other games of cryptic? According to what logic? And how does that even connect with the stuff you said before that?

If anything, f2p is infinitely better than the half-baked freemium model that only exists because games designed as p2p cannot fully support f2p.

And making it p2p? Are you out of your mind? Have you taken a look at what the p2p titles out there are and how they fare?

Yeah gotta agree with Vindicon on this, I'm not in love with the forums but I don't even begin to see your logic gillrmn.

And making Neverwinter P2P is just avoiding the inevitable, F2P consistently brings in more players and a higher profit margin. People just don't realize how much CO and STO bring in warts and all industry scuttlebutt is that PWE has already made their initial investment back just from Cash shop sales and you never log into STO or CO and see a ghost town....Tera, SWTOR and RIFT can't make that claim.

I dunno sometimes I think you guys make these over the top post just to try and get a response from the devs...b:chuckle
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • subway7850subway7850 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I agree with stormdrag0n.

STO got alot of new players when they went f2p.

It is nice to be able to choose what you pay for. If I dont want the dwarf armour for my elf but the epic knife of backstabber (skinn, not better stats than other ingame weapons) it is a sweet thing to be able to just have to buy that pice of equipment.
  • lyfebanelyfebane Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 312 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2012
    Well you confused me with this topic.

I certainly do not want them to make this P2P, I do not like that method as you tend to feel you need to be on all the time you can to make the most of subscription you are paying. With F2P you do not have that you can leave it come back, just play an odd hour and so on, and do not feel that because you missed a day or week that you did not get your monies worth, or that others get more for their payment because they can (somehow) stay on all day and play.

F2P suits me better, and it is better to see F2P as more pay for what you might actually use. If they do it right then you should be able to do pretty much everything in game free, but then there be that reasonably priced little bit/thing/extra that you think, hmm actually I would like that and its not a huge expense. The trick, i think, is to make it so that you have lots of pretty inexpensive stuff which people will tend lots of rather than few expensive stuff that people will likely not buy mush off.

edit . Mind what they could also do and likely make a lot on would be making little models to put on self or whatever of your character:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I am not evil, I am just cursed.
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    So, a couple of things on this thread:

1) I never got angry because you, or anyone else didn't like the bear smilies. I'm sorry if you felt that, but I believe that what I actually said was something along the lines of, "If bear smilies are the biggest complaint about the forum switch over, then I'd say we did a pretty good job."

I stand by that comment as well. Smilies and emoticons are nice to have, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

However, to put some of your fears at ease, please understand and know that a part of the things which have been keeping me from being more active here has been work on the forums, so that we can improve them for you all. No ETA at this time, but it's something I'm working on.

2) Make Neverwinter P2P because you don't like being discriminated against?

This has to be the most confusing request I've ever seen in my 3.5 years as a community manager.

We're making this game free-to-play so that you can play it, and choose to pay as much, or as little money as you want to pay into it. I honestly struggle to see how this is a bad thing.

I don't know how giving you something you want for free can be considered discriminatory, against you. I also see, from the replies to this thread, that so far, the majority is not in favor of taking Neverwinter pay to play.

3) As far as my mod selections go: If you don't like one of them, please vote for one of the other two. No one has superceded any popular choice of the community, in fact, you guys are getting the final say here.

I've narrowed the field based on the applications I received, and my opinions of those applications. I then narrowed it further by sending out an interview questionnaire, and comparing the responses of those whom responded to that.

There were excellent candidates that I didn't hear back from in time for the poll, some of whom were sure things for the role.

This shouldn't be something to get upset about, it should be something to celebrate. You guys are getting to choose who will be moderating the forums. It's something new that I'm trying with you all first, and I'm hoping it works out well.

If it doesn't, then next time we decide to add mods, I'll just remove the voting portion of the selection process.

The forums here are very important to us. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to be involved here as much as I would like. I'm trying to change that. It's getting better.

However, making threads saying you don't like the direction of the game based on the fact that you feel insulted that we're making a AAA game available for you to play for free, is certainly not helping this community either.

I mean, free is a pretty good price. In fact, I struggle to think of anything which I either want, or desire to use on a regular basis that I would not like to be able to get for free.

So please, let's take a step back, and see what we can do to improve the community, instead of ripping it apart with threads like this.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited September 2012
    stormshade wrote: »
    So, a couple of things on this thread:

1) I never got angry because you, or anyone else didn't like the bear smilies. I'm sorry if you felt that, but I believe that what I actually said was something along the lines of, "If bear smilies are the biggest complaint about the forum switch over, then I'd say we did a pretty good job."

I stand by that comment as well. Smilies and emoticons are nice to have, but it's certainly not the end of the world.

However, to put some of your fears at ease, please understand and know that a part of the things which have been keeping me from being more active here has been work on the forums, so that we can improve them for you all. No ETA at this time, but it's something I'm working on.

2) Make Neverwinter P2P because you don't like being discriminated against?

This has to be the most confusing request I've ever seen in my 3.5 years as a community manager.

We're making this game free-to-play so that you can play it, and choose to pay as much, or as little money as you want to pay into it. I honestly struggle to see how this is a bad thing.

I don't know how giving you something you want for free can be considered discriminatory, against you. I also see, from the replies to this thread, that so far, the majority is not in favor of taking Neverwinter pay to play.

3) As far as my mod selections go: If you don't like one of them, please vote for one of the other two. No one has superceded any popular choice of the community, in fact, you guys are getting the final say here.

I've narrowed the field based on the applications I received, and my opinions of those applications. I then narrowed it further by sending out an interview questionnaire, and comparing the responses of those whom responded to that.

There were excellent candidates that I didn't hear back from in time for the poll, some of whom were sure things for the role.

This shouldn't be something to get upset about, it should be something to celebrate. You guys are getting to choose who will be moderating the forums. It's something new that I'm trying with you all first, and I'm hoping it works out well.

If it doesn't, then next time we decide to add mods, I'll just remove the voting portion of the selection process.

The forums here are very important to us. I'm sorry I haven't had the time to be involved here as much as I would like. I'm trying to change that. It's getting better.

However, making threads saying you don't like the direction of the game based on the fact that you feel insulted that we're making a AAA game available for you to play for free, is certainly not helping this community either.

I mean, free is a pretty good price. In fact, I struggle to think of anything which I either want, or desire to use on a regular basis that I would not like to be able to get for free.

So please, let's take a step back, and see what we can do to improve the community, instead of ripping it apart with threads like this.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Stormshade crits gillrmn for 900K damage b:chuckle
    edited September 2012

Yeah, about that, please let all 3 of them be mods.
  • kinster2kinster2 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    wow I don't think I've ever seen such a nicely put disagreement.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    So when Andy said that in one of the videos i posted that an collectors edition was going to be (possibly?) offered, that would be an online purchase (cash shop) yeah? or could it be that it becomes a sub thingie?

Im still a sceptic on the whole F2P, im happy to pay sub, or buy the box (without the box) i just wanna beta.

Sorry Gilly to hijack here but i still wanna ask a question about beta key's i have entered my pax key, but i have a TLII key, so if i dont get chosen for Cbeta under my pax key, should i use the TLII key to guarentee non day 1 beta access.
    I'd hold on to your extra key for now. It was stated however that entering more than one valid key won't do any good, that once you have a key entered no others would be valid for your account.

Mind you, these are not exact words from the Developers. This is just my understanding from the following two statements by Stormshade:

Everyone will be phased in throughout the Closed Beta Test.

So, what kind of key shouldn't matter so much, just as long as you have one.

Cheers,

Stormshade
    Hey folks,

If you qualify to get a key for the CBT through multiple means, you still will only get one key.

Beta Access isn't transferable, so multiple keys would actually be somewhat redundant.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Whether or not your TLII's NWO Beta Key is tied to the PWE Account that pre-ordered for it, I do not know. Until we know if we can share any extra such keys, I would just hang on to it for now. You might also consider using it for an alternate account, if you're into having more than one MMO gaming account. I know I am an alt-o-holic.
  • kinster2kinster2 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    zebular wrote: »
    I'd hold on to your extra key for now. It was stated however that entering more than one valid key won't do any good, that once you have a key entered no others would be valid for your account.

Mind you, these are not exact words from the Developers. This is just my understanding from the following two statements by Stormshade:

Whether or not your TLII's NWO Beta Key is tied to the PWE Account that pre-ordered for it, I do not know. Until we know if we can share any extra such keys, I would just hang on to it for now. You might also consider using it for an alternate account, if you're into having more than one MMO gaming account. I know I am an alt-o-holic.

lol wrong thread
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2012
    kinster2 wrote: »
    lol wrong thread

Naw, the quote I replied to is very much in this thread. You're just trying to get me to use a winking bear smiley, I know it! I shall not be tempted or lead astray again! Well... maybe if we get a dire bear smiley.
    edited September 2012
    Naw, the quote I replied to is very much in this thread. You're just trying to get me to use a winking bear smiley, I know it! I shall not be tempted or lead astray again! Well... maybe if we get a dire bear smiley.

Naw???

Gotta be a southern dude b:laugh
  • razorrxgdbrazorrxgdb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I think Gillrmn was just over reacting to the fact that 1 of the 3 applicants is basically an outsider, who first posted here AFTER being named as one of the finalists.

As someone who first joined the NW site/forums when the first opened back in the old days, I have seen this community grow, get really excited, have some awesome discussions, dream, etc. then fall apart as the time of blackout came and then the forum merger. We are once again building up and it seemed a bit odd that one of the potential moderators does not come from within. But then, we did pretty much lose a lot of people over the black period.

I am sure whoever gets to be a moderator will do a great job. MY personal preference would for them to be from the existing community (however small that is), but I am sure they will do a good job no matter what.

Gillrmn just seems to be frustrated and probably posted before s/he calmed down.

That said, I do hope there is a P2P option where I can be a VIP and have all the classes, races, etc. unlocked as part of that vs buying each one.
    edited September 2012
    Naw???

Gotta be a southern dude b:laugh

Born in the Louisiana Bayou, raised in Texas, Florida, and Michigan - lived many places in-between. It's been a few years now going without letting loose a, "Ya'all!" Amusing how even the written word can place a person.

For the record, I still feel that F2P was the best move for STO despite my quams about the Dilithium System. With NWO being desiged as F2P from the get-go, I feel this will bring far more customers than a P2P model or a Freemium Model would. Especially in today's economy where many live pay-check to pay-check and it is far easier to buy a small micro-transaction than it is to budget yet another monthly fee.
    edited September 2012
    razorrxgdb wrote: »
    I do hope there is a P2P option where I can be a VIP and have all the classes, races, etc. unlocked as part of that vs buying each one.

Pretty sure there will be an option to subscribe, since you can in both STO and CO.
    They might even sell lifetime subsciptions.
    edited September 2012
    Born in the Louisiana Bayou, raised in Texas, Florida, and Michigan - lived many places in-between. It's been a few years now going without letting loose a, "Ya'all!" Amusing how even the written word can place a person.

For the record, I still feel that F2P was the best move for STO despite my quams about the Dilithium System. With NWO being desiged as F2P from the get-go, I feel this will bring far more customers than a P2P model or a Freemium Model would. Especially in today's economy where many live pay-check to pay-check and it is far easier to buy a small micro-transaction than it is to budget yet another monthly fee.

Texas/NC here ..I recognize the lingo ;)
    edited September 2012
    subway7850 wrote: »
    Pretty sure there will be an option to subscribe, since you can in both STO and CO.
    They might even sell lifetime subsciptions.

Just to clear this up, I would not be expecting this. We're designing Neverwinter to be free-to-play from the ground up.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited September 2012
    Just to clear this up, I would not be expecting this. We're designing Neverwinter to be free-to-play from the ground up.

Thanks,

Stormshade

No chance to subscibe at all?
    damn... gonna be expensive for me since I know I will be wanting alot out of the c-store if its gonna be anything like in STO and CO b:chuckle
    edited September 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade

I do hope there is some type of collectors or Founders edition made available, maybe do a poll for what we would like to see in it??
  • raelishraelish Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    to be fair, im looking forward to nwo alot and have been since i heard about it, herein lies the problem with making it pay to play gillrim, it would be pay to play for about 3 months fail then have to be reworked into free to play and we would be out about 4-6 months before its ready again, ive yet to see a pay to play mmo launch and be successful simply because most of the people looking for a new mmo want the pay as you go features that free to play offers. lots of players in the new mmo market dont like the subscription model, i mean look at tera, was a great game IMO my biggest problem was the lack of content , well being a pay to play game i found it easier to cancel my account and wait for more content before going back much the same happens to alot of pay to play mmos they cant make the money they need for further development because people quit, now if the game is f2p as nwo will be offering people will still be able to play casually without outright cancelling their account. and as for descrimination , Explain?
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade

Hmmm and I had my $300 stashed away for a lifer to this one too...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited September 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade
    I do hope there is some type of collectors or Founders edition made available, maybe do a poll for what we would like to see in it??

SO andy states collectors ed in the end of the pax prime videos, any info on how it will be gained

I dunno sometimes I think you guys make these over the top post just to try and get a response from the devs...b:chuckle

I dont really care whether it dollars to pay sub, box or play F2p, just im a sceptic on the F2P front, there was an thread on this a while back and it was mixed.

but i can say his thread got a response, from SS

ok thanks boss, but is having another account the right thing to do?
    edited September 2012
    ryvvik wrote: »
    SO andy states collectors ed in the end of the pax prime videos, any info on how it will be gained?

Pretty sure he just mentions an "upcoming beta release schedule". We haven't announced any plans for a collector's edition at this time.

Thanks,

Stormshade
  • varrvarrvarrvarr Member Posts: 385 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    Pretty sure he just mentions an "upcoming beta release schedule". We haven't announced any plans for a collector's edition at this time.

Thanks,

Stormshade

Shut up and take my money... why do you keep trying to find ways not to? b:mischievous
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wifeaggr0wifeaggr0 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited September 2012

Thanks,

Stormshade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVblxKjkTDE

3mins 56secs "collectors editions that you can get with more tangible benefits as well"
    edited September 2012
    wifeaggr0 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVblxKjkTDE

3mins 56secs "collectors editions that you can get with more tangible benefits as well"

Nice catch :)