test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Peeps from DDO? NwN? PnP? STO?

johnvandintherjohnvandinther Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited September 2012 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
Are most people here coming from the old Neverwinter Nights RPG's? Are there DDO players here?

How many people are experienced Foundry developers from STO?

Curious :)
Post edited by johnvandinther on

Comments

• capntackcapntack Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've played WoW and Guild Wars a bit in the past, but currently I am an avid DDO player. I played a LITTLE of Neverwinter Nights, and want to go back and finish it before I play this new MMO from Cryptic. I've played some PnP, but not near enough to know all the history. So I figure the PC game oughta help me out a little bit. And yourself?

(BTW, I installed but haven't played STO, so I don't have any experience in the Foundry. But am stoked to see it in action in Neverwinter.)

-Tack.
  • zagbertzagbert Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Currently in DDO, before that did all the NWNs, before that all the Baldur's Gates, and before that years and years of PnP. Please don't make me say how many years...

Crossing my fingers that the NWN MMO will be a little more like PnP than most computer DnD games (i.e., less Monty Haul.)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Are most people here coming from the old Neverwinter Nights RPG's? Are there DDO players here?

How many people are experienced Foundry developers from STO?

Curious :)

A lot have come and gone long ago due to lackadaisical communication from Cryptic's part on the state of the game. This game is a year and a half late, due to its change from co-op to full blown "free to play" MMO and a company change.

Stormshade our lone Cryptic crusader has sworn to have lots of good information really soon. Expect a November game release if they stay on target.

I expect this game to be brimming with Neverwinter Nights and DDO gamers. Some will be able to keep both accounts active as they are both free to start.

I have played PnP since 1978, all the gold box SSI games on the Commodore 64 and Amiga. Baldurs Gate Neverwinter Nights, and too many rpg's to count. I've played DDO since beta in 2005.

Our guild is formed already and accepting recruits from the DDO and former Neverwinter Nights communities looking for good camaraderie with a no drama, no zerg play style. We are active in DDO and soon to be Neverwinter.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • capntackcapntack Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I posted on your Guild's recruiting thread.
    edited July 2012
    capntack wrote: »
    I posted on your Guild's recruiting thread.

And responded in kind!

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited July 2012
    I plays the ddo
    cannith server
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • tarrax7tarrax7 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, not playing DDO at the moment, but I did quite extensively when it first came out. As for other D&D games, I've played most of them I think. The NWNs, the BGs, Dark Alliance II & the following series - Ravenloft, Dark Sun, Savage, Eye, Pools, Gold Box & Silver box. I even played a little of the Mattel game on a friend's Intellivision, but was too young to remember very much.

Way back then I also played PnP for several years starting with the D&D Basic Set Red Box version through to AD&D 3.5 edition, although I'd guess nearly half that total time was spent in the AD&D 2nd edition ruleset. :)
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2012
    I have played DDO a bit,and NWN I,BG at a friend.NWN II and its expansions i have played till i bled...that means ALOT.I was addicted to NWN II :D if you can put it like that.Epic game with an epic story!
  • foxomfoxom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    still playing ddo, until this launches that is. thelanis member of legion
  • darksword66darksword66 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I played DDO, and probably every mmo possible since. I just really hope this one holds my attention. WoW did for abit..then you hit end game get bored and they just throw random things in your face. I just hope this one will hold my attention, which would be awesome.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    DDO? Yes. Left an year ago after becoming overly familiar with all the content. Ran all kind of fun things there, like gimped toons (rolled stats), all cleric/rogue/PM epic runs etc. I found that they added new content, but it was not to my liking so I couldn't start it again.
    NWN, yes.
    PnP, YEAH!!! -AD&D, 3e, customized rulesets and lately 4e- Though I couldn't for a long time after my group broke up, but it has sort of semi-reformed since.
    STO? no.

p.s. 4e has lot of bad press, but truthseeker made me realize its not that bad, its just different and new. So I started thinking of 4e as 'in addition to' 3e instead of replacing 3e. That is how I was able to like it.

EDIT: 4e is actually like-able for all the new options for divines. PHB1 is kind of bad but divine classes book later is pretty good.
  • fungus6fungus6 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Current DDO player..in a permadeath guild

Not happy with that games current direction (to become wow) so am
    checking out other options.
  • napherinapheri Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hello there. I played DDO a long time ago on mabar server when level cap was 12. Was in a guild called Grey Company ( were older folks). Played LOTRO for a while after that and a few others. Still, my heart belongs to the Forgotten Realms. Played PnP in the late 70's and 80's. I am really looking forward to playing a good game based on Forgotten Realms once more. I hope they add random elements and outstanding crafting (again, with plenty of random elements). Ill be searching for a guild molded around an older, mature, casual playstyle when the time comes.
    edited July 2012
    napheri wrote: »
    Ill be searching for a guild molded around an older, mature, casual playstyle when the time comes.

You might wish to check out Tyrs Paladium, when you have the time.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=5111

We are in DDO, and soon to be Neverwinter. We are a very organized casual guild, that has a laid back, old school D&D feel to it. We've been hard at work recruiting just the right personalities, and think you may very well enjoy what we have to offer.

Comment in the guild recruit thread linked about, and we'll get you access onto our website so you can see more of what we're about.

Look forward to seeing you in game!

• natalya83natalya83 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Been playing DDO for almost 2 years now. Not happy with the direction of the game for the past 3 months :(

Just waiting for NWN to release...cant wait!! :)

Member of C-L-A-W
    Thelanis, DDO

P.S: Heya Leslie :D Hopping between forums eh! :P
    edited July 2012
    natalya83 wrote: »
    P.S: Heya Leslie :D Hopping between forums eh! :P

Heya natalya! Me too ;)

• mezrael13mezrael13 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have played most of the DnD genre..
    Dungeon Hack and the old 8086 DnD Games
    Baldurs Gate
    Baldurs Gate 2 with Expansion
    Icewind Dale
    Icewind Dale 2
    Planescape Torment
    Etc.
    Have been Playing DDO since 2006 on the Ghallanda Server.
  • deathssickledeathssickle Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    NWN and WoW
    I am usually Deaths Crowbar.

Anyone still searching for guilds you can check out HCG Hardcore Christian Gamers.
    NW FAQ | HCG NW Host Site
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • shonsu5320shonsu5320 Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yes, yes, and yes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I played a lot of MMO's they are my favorite type of game, especially fantasy ones. I was a bit late to the game though, never really got into the MUD's but I did enjoy The Realm and UO. I usually play a wizard b:pleased

DDO was awesome for awhile but their lack of content early on was tough, I hope there are lots of good dungeons in Neverwinter!!
  • skoamrothskoamroth Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Played DDO of and on since beta. Its a great game, and will probably play both, but I'm very excited about this game.
  • nazath3nazath3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Hey all, coming from DDO here. Don't really play it as much now as I don't have the time I did and most of the guild peeps and others I played with aren't really as active as they were.

Anyhow, I played on the Cannith server and was a member of Hella Pro, Loot and Spellbinders throughout the server history. My main characters were Nazath, Nazul, Lorrad and Nazty if they ring any bells.

If anyone from any of those guilds is on (or just someone I ran with on the server), don't hesitate to give me a shout on here!

Lastly I would just like to say I'm very much looking forward to Neverwinter from what I've seen so far :D
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Ahh, one of the threads created while my forum access was stuck.

Old NWN1 player didn't like NWN2, played DDO until I left due to a combination of drama and lag/mechanical issues, and when I returned, was not a fan of the fremium/still bad lag, so stayed away.

ANd while I play STO, have not yet created for the Foundry and do not like their scenario setup limitations so may start with NWO instead. Currently the DIlithium grind in the game got too high with guild starbase costs vs the cost of it for all other things supposedly able to "earn" in free to play methods, so taking a little break there.

Oh, and have played all forms of D&D since the red box, brought kicking and screaming to 4E and was converted, and now liking D&D Next.

Guess that covers it. Nice to meet ya.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    Old NWN1 player didn't like NWN2

I'm with you there. NWN2 was eye candy but I couldn't really get into it. I played the OC and really enjoyed it and while I planned on making content for NWN2 like I did for NWN1 I just couldn't.

I stopped playing shortly after completing the OC. I couldn't deal with having to go out of my way to download pathfinding stuff and the like for every server every time it updated. It was just too much of a hassle to play NWN2 content let alone develop it.

But indeed I was huge into NWN1. I played it from the day it was released to the day NWN2 came out.
    Sadly NWN2 kind of killed my interest in NWN1 and NWN2 killed my interest in NWN2 so I went on to other games.

I only started playing DDO a few months ago because my friend and I were bored with the games we were playing at the time and the first thing that popped into my head when he said "Chris, find me a free to play game to play!" was DDO for whatever reason.
    We really enjoyed it and got 3 other friends to play it with us for a time but ultimately after three weeks or so we got tired of some major problems such as...
    -12 int is apparantly too low for a rogue...what gives!? Apparently somewhere between third edition and 4th edition int became the primary skill for the rogue or so I was told by the players pissed off I couldn't find traps even with maxed search and bonus in and search items...
    -Repeating the same content over and over again for xp
    -I didn't like the quest reward system at all or the fact quests, at least as far as I got, was the only way to play the game.

Let's hope NW will be more like NWN1 to me. It still holds the title as the only game I played for 5+ years and have no complaints about it other than the game being "dated."
    edited August 2012
    -12 int is apparantly too low for a rogue...what gives!? Apparently somewhere between third edition and 4th edition int became the primary skill for the rogue or so I was told by the players pissed off I couldn't find traps even with maxed search and bonus in and search items...
    -Repeating the same content over and over again for xp
    -I didn't like the quest reward system at all or the fact quests, at least as far as I got, was the only way to play the game.

Disclaimer:- The information here is based on 1.5-2 year old information and may have changed or may be doesn't exists anymore.

DDO's enviornment is said to be populated by a Roman general called "Minimus Maximus the III.V". However, existence of rolled characters (also known locally as gimped in DDO) is possible. I would advise you to look for role playing groups in sarlona server who specifically roll the characters and play with gimped toons.

However, 12 INT rog in DDO used to be feasible. The gear and buffs were what was needed to do the traps. Traps had ridicoulous difficulty, but if they do lower the trap DC, anyone with 1 rog lvl could solve any trap.

Also, irrespective of how one feels, there is a lack of content in DDO considering it is a 5+ year old game.

NW would have solved all the issue above, only thing I am not sure is trap DC. Can rogue disable traps in NW?
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Disclaimer:- The information here is based on 1.5-2 year old information and may have changed or may be doesn't exists anymore.

DDO's enviornment is said to be populated by a Roman general called "Minimus Maximus the III.V". However, existence of rolled characters (also known locally as gimped in DDO) is possible. I would advise you to look for role playing groups in sarlona server who specifically roll the characters and play with gimped toons.

However, 12 INT rog in DDO used to be feasible. The gear and buffs were what was needed to do the traps. Traps had ridicoulous difficulty, but if they do lower the trap DC, anyone with 1 rog lvl could solve any trap.

Also, irrespective of how one feels, there is a lack of content in DDO considering it is a 5+ year old game.

NW would have solved all the issue above, only thing I am not sure is trap DC. Can rogue disable traps in NW?

I know him well, and his twin brother or alias (never could confirm which,) Powergamius.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited August 2012
    I heard about Minimus Maximus the III.V but I thought maxing search on a rogue with a decent intelligence and some moderate item buffs would appease Minimus Maximus.

I mean Nevwint the III managed to make a game which allowed rogues to simply max their search skill in order to be effective. I don't think he ever heard of bonus search items or thieves with inteligence to rival wizards.
    And he most certainly did NOT make a wizard a better trap finder than a rogue!

However, on the matter of NW allowing rogues to disable traps...it's really not that hard to balance the game correctly to not cause min-maxing issues. Turbine was just lazy.
    Ok, so the game with static and non-stop repeated content would have made trap detecting too easy to only require maxed search skills...

Solution:
    -Double the amount of traps in each quest
    -Have only half of those randomly be generated and activated for that instance
    -Give the good old AD&D chance to fail finding traps instead of the static pass/fail

Tada! Will Turbine be paying me in hundred dollar bills or twenties? Either way I deserve a lot of royalties for that bit of common sense. *sighs in disdain*
  • surf13surf13 Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    DDO and long-time NwN player here :D
    edited August 2012
    -Give the good old AD&D chance to fail finding traps instead of the static pass/fail

That sounds like 4e, so I thought you would be happy :)
  • derzhaalderzhaal Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I've had my fair share of both PnP and online RPG's. As much as I liked PnP D&D, I didn't like the direction it was going. 3.5 is God-tier, imo.

I've played both NWN and NWN2. NWN2 was great, but there were so many bugs on its first release. I do like what they did with the game. It's so diverse, like every RPG should be. I hope Neverwinter follows in its steps.

DDO was pretty fun, same as LOTRO. But as for MMO's are concerned, I believe WoW had more spunk. It's kept me enthralled for years. It hasn't kept me from other games, though! I give every game a chance. That's why I'm looking forward to Neverwinter.