test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I Have My Doubts...

sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
edited August 2012 in General Discussion (PC)
Ok if you have been playing STO recently, you know that every time they "upgrade" something it is never received well. The Foundry has been running in beta on STO for more than a year and the recent "upgrade" is very lack luster. So it makes me doubt they will have this game up and running by the end of this year.

I joined PWE to play THIS game and then found out it wasn't even ready, so I played STO since April to learn more about the Foundry. But the tool is way beyond crippled. I can make missions but you are not granted access to the entire database of game assets. They seem to be having manpower issues with just the one MMO. I just have my doubts about ever playing this game now.
wb-cenders.gif
Post edited by sandukutupu on

Comments

• quetumquetum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The mess that is STO was created by Atari. They are a terrible publisher and have done nothing positive for the gaming industry in the last 25 years. Also, Bill Roper was the head of Cryptic when when STO was in its infancy. "Epic Fail" is that guys middle name.

Neverwinter is PerfectWorld's baby. They are the ones that want this game to be a full fledged MMO. They have deep pockets and lots of time to make sure the playerbase gets what it needs.

Don't hit the panic button just yet. ;-)
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    quetum wrote: »
    The mess that is STO was created by Atari.

So was Neverwinter. STO was originally created by Sony. Then tossed around like a football. Cryptic still had 2 years to work on it before release... so they had plenty of time to do things right.

Neverwinter will make or break them. If Cryptic screws this one up, then I'm not sure they will recover.

I do believe there's a very good chance this game will actually MAKE them, but we shall see. So far communication with its community has been slightly less then abysmal.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • tuukkasalonentuukkasalonen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So was Neverwinter. STO was originally created by Sony. Then tossed around like a football. Cryptic still had 2 years to work on it before release... so they had plenty of time to do things right.

Neverwinter will make or break them. If Cryptic screws this one up, then I'm not sure they will recover.

I do believe there's a very good chance this game will actually MAKE them, but we shall see. So far communication with its community has been slightly less then abysmal.

The communication with its community was fine before these "new forums" where these bear smileys came. And i've seen less dev posts in some communitys *points at League of Legends EU West community*
    And while we're at it, its somewhat true that bear smileys are terrible but I'd rather have bear smileys than beer pint smileys
    I am inactive and I know it
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is another TOP SECRET project they are working on besides neverwinter. If you go on cryptic website, it says so... but I agree - NW will make a lot of difference on how cryptic is viewed. With Atari gone, it is the first game they release - if it is not successful, almost everyone will say 'Well it is cryptic'.

Oo the pressure!
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    There is another TOP SECRET project they are working on besides neverwinter. If you go on cryptic website, it says so... but I agree - NW will make a lot of difference on how cryptic is viewed. With Atari gone, it is the first game they release - if it is not successful, almost everyone will say 'Well it is cryptic'.

Oo the pressure!

Yup And the worst thing is people are already saying 'Well it is cryptic'. And we get the same mistakes repeated here as on their other forums.. maybe even worse.

So this is going to come down to the game. And with a "plot" as large as the D&D universe at their disposal, if they get NW wrong, they'll be a real laughing stock.

And that wouldnt be cool, because the D&D universe needs a kick <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> cool D&D game about now! ;)

No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    "No access to database" ? You mean like modding and creating new spells, creatures, etc? Not gonna happen - would ruin the balance, although I would like to see something like DOTA 2 workshop.
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »

Oo the pressure!

True....and the guys at Cryptic have three big loves

D&D
    Warhammer 40k (they actually have game tables set up in the studio)
    and anything Cthulhu

We know that they are covering D&D, the question is will the next MMO be 40K or Cthulhu.

My money is on 40K due to the rumors of Cryptic talking to GW last year then THQ suddenly canning/re-tooling Dark Millennium....but time will tell.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • vindiconvindicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012

D&D
    and anything Cthulhu

We know that they are covering D&D, the question is will the next MMO be 40K or Cthulhu.

My money is on 40K due to the rumors of Cryptic talking to GW last year then THQ suddenly canning/re-tooling Dark Millennium....but time will tell.

They could just make an Illithid expansion for NW.

That would tick 2 out of the 3 items off the list. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited August 2012

D&D
    and anything Cthulhu...

Hmm... interesting. Coincidentally, those are my loves as well...

Especially, I would like if they make clerics like space mahrines. The space mahrines are da real clerics. For the gods... sorry... for the emperorahh!!!
  • plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Ok if you have been playing STO recently, you know that every time they "upgrade" something it is never received well. The Foundry has been running in beta on STO for more than a year and the recent "upgrade" is very lack luster. So it makes me doubt they will have this game up and running by the end of this year.

I joined PWE to play THIS game and then found out it wasn't even ready, so I played STO since April to learn more about the Foundry. But the tool is way beyond crippled. I can make missions but you are not granted access to the entire database of game assets. They seem to be having manpower issues with just the one MMO. I just have my doubts about ever playing this game now.

I didnt play any of PW or cryptic games but im also concern about NWO, but my concerns are a bit diferent. Dont get me wrong, from what i see so far the game looks great to me but im still worry about the features of the game, lets hope the next weeks with gamecon we will get more especific info about the game ;)

Cant wait for alot more info and ofc beta key heheh
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012

The communication here is no different than any other game in development. Everything here is pure speculation and amongst fans or potential customers. Rift's public forums during beta are pretty much identical here minus the massive population difference. Really there is no communication to speak of as there are only a handful of people posting here, all of Cryptic responses are from SS who is just a PR guy it seems like and who is also invested in the STO forums from some accounts. No actual Dev responses or there are very few which are not detailed at all to questions. A mere fraction of what will be when the game launches and at that time the forums will change drastically.

Really there is not much point in getting to involved in marketing atm, TSW recently released, GW2 is about to be released which will likely take up most of the marketing/hype. In the fall I would expect were real marketing for the game to start and some correspondence on the forums between Devs or the Cryptic staff to really start.

No one here can say whether or not this will make or break Cryptic as no one here has the slightest ideal how well the studio is doing financially so let's not go spewing assumptions as facts. STO launch was abyssal by various view points and yet Cryptic still continued, which the game got much better later on from some perspectives.

However, with SWTOR (I know apples and oranges) going F2P this fall could cause a potential predicament for NWO. But NWO at first glance could be a potential giant F2P MMO as the quality seems to trump most if not all F2P MMOs.
  • ausdoerrtausdoerrt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    and anything Cthulhu

A Cthulhu-themed MMO?

Shut-up-and-take-my-money.jpg

If there are two themes that are criminally underexplored in the gaming world, it's steampunk and Lovecraftian horror.
    So this is going to come down to the game. And with a "plot" as large as the D&D universe at their disposal, if they get NW wrong, they'll be a real laughing stock.

True enough, though the snippets they released on lore and design so far have been great.
  • sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 2,285 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    "No access to database" ? You mean like modding and creating new spells, creatures, etc? Not gonna happen - would ruin the balance, although I would like to see something like DOTA 2 workshop.

Read up on the Foundry it is supposed to be a vital part of this game. They use this same editor on STO and you can create new aliens using it so I imagine same here.

I also care about RP and PVE, my husband and I are big paper, pencil and dice fans of D&D. So I have concerns that go beyond the Foundry editor. I am currently most active in STO and Guild Wars. I don't like science fiction so I plan to drop STO when this becomes available. I joined STO to learn to use the Foundry.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited August 2012
    The communication here is no different than any other game in development.

That's just denial.
    Everything here is pure speculation and amongst fans or potential customers.

As is your opinion. Speculation is natural before a major game launch. Even more so when there's a lack of communication.
    Rift's public forums during beta are pretty much identical here minus the massive population difference.

Huh? NO comparison! There's 272 PAGES of dev posts!!!!
    Really there is not much point in getting to involved in marketing atm

Naah, who'd want to promote now, just 3-4 months before a promised game launch!? How crazy can ya get! WoW promoted on the Diablo game for two YEARS and we know how much of a fail that silly game was, what it get like 2 or 3 hundred players total!?
    GW2 is about to be released which will likely take up most of the marketing/hype.

Correction. GW2 forum has been LIT THE FORK UP. JohnnyV, the lead mod over there, has 20 PAGES of posts in last 7 DAYS alone! By the way that site launched 06-10-2010.
    And the mods have been communicating at an insane rate the entire time.

No one here can say whether or not this will make or break Cryptic

A NW fail would be a terrible embarrassment. Their past history has already began to shape the minds of gamers. They need a big win here by all accounts. Now grant it, I believe they have a winner in NW. But it's more complicated than just designing "a good game". It wont be perfect at launch. They'll need our help to make it better. Communication and respect goes a very very long way here, to keep people playing for the long haul..
    no one here has the slightest ideal how well the studio is doing financially
    Financials shouldn't be really important to the discussion here. They should have plenty of cash infusion from PW to get this game launched right.
    so let's not go spewing assumptions as facts.
    Opinions. We all have em. That's what the forum is for. I see no one here "spewing assumptions as facts". Even you are giving your opinion, which even tho I completely disagree with, doesnt mean you dont have the freedom to post them. I say the more opinions the better!

STO launch was abyssal by various view points and yet Cryptic still continued, which the game got much better later on from some perspectives.

Yeah they got better. But how long did it take? How many people did they lose? How much bad PR was created by Cryptic decisions. It was too little too late, which was a shame. STO was a fail. Even failed mmos will linger as long as they keep bringing in enough cash to keep their servers juiced and the payroll paid.
    However, with SWTOR (I know apples and oranges) going F2P this fall could cause a potential predicament for NWO.

Naah, two totally different games. SWTOR going free to play shouldn't hurt NW at all. People that want to play a D&D online game will come take a look. That's a garandaymnTEE. As long as NW is good, we are set.
    But NWO at first glance could be a potential giant F2P MMO as the quality seems to trump most if not all F2P MMOs.

I want to agree with you on this, I really do. But its going to take more than a game release for that to happen. It would need massive promotion.

edited August 2012
    Read up on the Foundry it is supposed to be a vital part of this game. They use this same editor on STO and you can create new aliens using it so I imagine same here.

I think qumi was talking about custom content. However, it is excluded by design(to avoid IP complications) and not excluded due to technology. I don't think it matters a lot if they release a set of large and diverse tilesets and included animations, models etc.

p.s. Also NW's foundry was called workshop before (iirc). They renamed it to foundry later when they announced it will be MMO.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    I won't be so quick to dismiss SWTOR. Different game yes much many people who will flock to NWO are likely to care less whether or not it's D&D inspired but more interested in the F2P aspect. Good attention getter but it will take more than that to sustain the customers. SWTOR has a tremendous single player gaming experience and good all round MMO but lackluster and not P2P worthy which might put some keen competition in the F2P market.

SWTOR had massive marketing and look how that ended. Massive marketing isn't needed but effective presentation is. One of the reasons GW2 is doing so well in their marketing is not solely in their advertisements but in their presentations. They listed their philosophies and goals which they have stayed true to. Many MMOs claim this and that but in reality make false claims. And much of the marketing building in GW2 has been done by the fans/followers.

As far as the GW2 website... the game is a bit unusual case. Many many concepts of the game are unique which lead to so many blogs and articles. Really unique case. TSW on the other hand didn't really build up their hype via articles and what not till relatively close to launch which is what a new MMO will do on average.

Fall sounds bout right for some real articles from the devs about the game. Marketing right now is the looney bin trait. GW2 is massively anticipated and that's an understatement and to market when GW2 is at it's peak is a highly poor decision as it will receive skepticism in light to GW2. Waiting till the aftermath is the right decision once the "ohh shiney" effect wears off a little bit.

In any case Cryptic has nothing to show yet of the game, demos so far have nothing substantial to promote the game with especially since it leaves more questions than answers. There is a major convention in two weeks with the final unveiling of the foundry is when any real marketing could start but not for a bit of time to allow the reception of what talks and demos they do to settle in and wait for the mass reception of GW2 to settle down a bit.

And I wouldn't call D3 an epic fail, it set record sales.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Well I am beginning to think I should have sold my shares back in March when it was hovering around $16 to $17 dollars because it dropped in may and has been roughly $10 all summer. I bought 200 shares at $11 back in January which mean I am down $200 on my stock portfolio.

If NWO is a huge success then maybe I can have a better 2013.

Anyone interested in investing, the stock is PWRD.

Just killing time...
    edited August 2012

Devotedoftempus makes a sarcasm check...
    *rolls* d20
    Devotedoftempus rolls a 1 - critical fail!
    Devotedoftempus takes 3 internetz damage

b:chuckle

Aandre obviously meant to say that D3's success bears a strong relation to the hype and strong publicity during the long development period, and that it's an example to follow.
    Fall sounds bout right for some real articles from the devs about the game. Marketing right now is the looney bin trait. GW2 is massively anticipated and that's an understatement and to market when GW2 is at it's peak is a highly poor decision as it will receive skepticism in light to GW2. Waiting till the aftermath is the right decision once the "ohh shiney" effect wears off a little bit.

There are a number of MMOs currently in development and being marketed, despite GW2. I think NWO is different enough, and attracts a different enough audience to make marketing worthwhile. Besides, there's no 'bad' publicity, and so far I don't think there are many people who even have this game on their radar at all.
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012

SWTOR had massive marketing and look how that ended. Massive marketing isn't needed but effective presentation is. One of the reasons GW2 is doing so well in their marketing is not solely in their advertisements but in their presentations. They listed their philosophies and goals which they have stayed true to. Many MMOs claim this and that but in reality make false claims. And much of the marketing building in GW2 has been done by the fans/followers.

DOT, id like to agree with everything you say, you almost write what i want to say, but as for SWTOR im not sure if its Australia being in the middle of knowwhere, but for us aussies, it was EPIC FAIL, most of us that were interested, had to pre-order, from overseas, myself on ebay, then waiting for it to come, but got ripped of as the scammer seller 100%feedback (just decided to go bad, 1st time ever), was allowed to sell pre-order, so that when the time came to disputeing the 40 days was up after the item was supposed to ship, but thats my bad luck. But the game was not available to purchase in any of the EB stores chains we have here, we were told that we wouldnt be able to get it until 3-6 months after release in america, but they started shipping US retails of the game in the EB stores after a few months or so. there was no promo work done in store, again as nothing could be confirmed on having the game shipping here or not, we were all just hanging on to hype any news. In the end we actually got our own dedicated aussie server, but the maintainence was always US based, and believe still is, (our Friday nights, your thursday), same for game updates ect ect but thats going of the track.

i will say that people here (australia) didnt even know about Neverwinters existance, i actually had thankyou's from members on our 2 top gaming magazines, with regard to letting them know that there was another neverwinter/D&d game coming

Im happy to see that PW/Cryptic is hitting the roads now, overseas to promote themselves and there games, but is this becasue PW has given them the power to do so?, so i believes the promo work is starting, as suggested GW2 is hypeing big time, but im not in for it, heart isnt there, its not D&d. if people think it will be the end for cryptic it maybe in some peoples eyes, but not as a developer, its the person who will write them off, cryptic will still be cryptic, backed with a good financer PWE.
    edited August 2012

Which quote are your referencing of mine?

This one?
    Naah, who'd want to promote now, just 3-4 months before a promised game launch!? How crazy can ya get! WoW promoted on the Diablo game for two YEARS and we know how much of a fail that silly game was, what it get like 2 or 3 hundred players total!?

I was giving a tongue-in-cheek example of the benefits of advertizing early and getting your product's name out. I was referencing, with satire, that Blizzard wasted appx two years advertizing WoW to the Diablo II community (not to mention the War__craft legion of gamers). Jokingly I call WoW a fail, with 200-300 subscribers total, so "clearly" promoting early was a total waste! To this day, they still have 9.1 million subscribers. :)

Do I think D3 failed? Their real money auction house is a disgrace, but that's another topic. As a long time Diablo I and II player, the game was a tremendous letdown to me. Just didnt feel like a continuation of the Diablo series. Did the game fail tho? Of course not. It was expectedly a good hit. But after 8+ years of promises they had the name recognition and all the free promotion any publisher could ever ask for.

• plamgarplamgar Member Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited August 2012
    Which quote are your referencing of mine?

This one?

I was giving a tongue-in-cheek example of the benefits of advertizing early and getting your product's name out. I was referencing, with satire, that Blizzard spent appx two years advertizing WoW to the Diablo II community. Jokingly I call WoW a fail, with 200-300 players total. To this day, they still have 9.1 million subscribers.

Do I think D3 failed? Their real money auction house is a disgrace, but thats another topic. As a long time Diablo I and II player, the game was a tremendous letdown to me. Just didnt feel like a continuation of the Diablo series. Did the game fail tho? Of course not. It was unexpectedly a good hit. But they have the name recognition.

Yea i think Diablo III made its profit because of its title.To me Diablo II was the final of the seriese.Although i like the pony level.
    edited August 2012
    plamgar wrote: »
    Yea i think Diablo III made its profit because of its title.To me Diablo II was the final of the seriese.Although i like the pony level.

Well, Neverwinter and D&D are also rather significant IPs, even if not as huge as Diablo. Ain't gonna do no good if it's not fully utilized through marketing though.
  • foodlefoodle Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have played many a Cryptic game and they do the same mistake over and over. They start a new project and go full steam at it but leave a small crew to look after updates for their older projects. I am sure thats what happening with STO and it will happen with NWN when they find a new project to work on. In short, NWN is getting most of Cryptics resources right now.
    edited August 2012
    I originally played WoW for about 2? years until I stopped wasting money and wised up about the other less expensive MMOs available. I am not exactly a WoW hater it just got to the point people kept asking my character why I was RPing... Content, missions, and graphics failed to improve over time. So I purchased a GW account for $30 roughly a year ago. I am still very active there every day and have no plans to purchase GW2 from what I am hearing from the beta testers.

I only heard about PWE by word of mouth and was disappointed by Jade Dynasty. That MMO plays itself and is not challenging at all. I tried Forsaken World with the same results. I really want to play this game, the Foundry was/is a bonus. When I read about Star Trek, I quickly built up 2 characters to try out the Foundry and see what a Cryptic made game is like. I was very disappointed by Star Trek game play. It is far too easy to generate income and level up to 50 meaning this was just another version of PvP and not RP.

Cryptic needs to make this VERY different from the STO model.
    wb-cenders.gif
  • nightfallrobbnightfallrobb Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Fortunately this game is F2P from the start, so if it isn't what we're looking for we can just leave it. The only thing invested is time. That's one of the things about this game that appeals to me: I get to test-drive it before I pay for anything.

And WTH is up with the bear smileys lol?
    edited August 2012
    I know what you mean they don't fit the whole menacing D&D theme at all. :D
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited August 2012
    I know what you mean they don't fit the whole menacing D&D theme at all. :D

Well, it's the same smiley set for all PWE forums, and if you look at the rest of their games/players, it stars to make sense. At least it's not pandas b:avoid
    edited August 2012
    Well boys... looks like I should end this thread since I started it. Cryptic has pushed the date back to sometime in 2013, it somewhat confirms my doubts about this game. I really hope I am wrong and I hope to see all of you in the game sometime next year.

Until next year, see you around.
    wb-cenders.gif
    edited August 2012
    ausdoerrt wrote: »
    Well, it's the same smiley set for all PWE forums, and if you look at the rest of their games/players, it stars to make sense. At least it's not pandas...

They used to have terrible smileys before. I think it was pigs. So when they introduced bears, people embraced them with open hearts. Give the worst scenario to the masses first and then introduce the worse and worse shall become good :-)

But now from recent posts it seems that PWE is giving more attention to NW because of 'overwhelming response'. Lets hope the forums are redesigned properly - at least to the level of CO forums.