test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PC Customization

vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
edited January 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
What level of detail is going to make you folks happy when it comes to your characters? I hope we have the ability to really tweak facial structure. I hate when everyone just uses the same standard face. I usually go in and try and make a face look unique and avoid the defaults like the plague. Even better if they allow how muscle and fat are distributed across the PC's body. That can give rise to all sorts of different shapes for characters.

What say you all?
Post edited by vangald on

Comments

• higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    What level of detail is going to make you folks happy when it comes to your characters? I hope we have the ability to really tweak facial structure. I hate when everyone just uses the same standard face. I usually go in and try and make a face look unique and avoid the defaults like the plague. Even better if they allow how muscle and fat are distributed across the PC's body. That can give rise to all sorts of different shapes for characters.

What say you all?

Well usually I'd agree with you about tweaking the facial structure of your character, however, I have noticed that in almost every MMO/RPG type game most people's heads are covered with a helmet or hood or something. I know its interesting to have a unique character but i believe that it is wasted unless you get to see what you've created every time.

A good way to implement this would be in the character level up screen, where there is a portrait of your character without any head items on. Also if people could click on other characters and see them without the helmet/cowl they are wearing through some sort of character bio screen, then it would make sense to have that level of customization.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in my usual long winded way is, yes and no. Yes if we can view these custom choices in our everyday game play. No if we can't.

Wow I hope that made sense LMAO
  • stormdrag0nstormdrag0n Member Posts: 3,222 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I love a high level of detail but I know it's impractical. I am in nerd heaven when I can load up Skyrim with the high quality texture pack put on the 3D glasses and turn everything up to max....Immersion like that is something I think the MMO market sorely needs.

I don't expect anything of the sort in Neverwinter though.
    Always Looking for mature laidback players/rpers for Dungeon Delves!
  • zynk0zynk0 Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I see you have never played a Cryptic game.

CO and STO are F2P download either/both and play with the character creators.

Cryptic also made CoH/CoV and I can not see them do less for NeverWinter.
  • higherfasternowhigherfasternow Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    zynk0 wrote: »

I'm sorry does this mean that the character creation is good or bad?
  • jet777jet777 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Character creation is one of the games' strongest points...Height, width, facial structure...Arm/leg length, bulk (In STO, this means slim, fat, or muscular, CO only has slim/muscular,) heck, CO has options for muscle definition where relevant.
  • vangaldvangald Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 325 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    zynk0 wrote: »

Played CoH back in the day and dabbled with CO but I could never get CO to run very well on my systems for whatever reason. Haven't tried STO yet. Was going to but now I am on mac and I need to get parallels first since I can't use bootcamp with my current version of windows and I have had problems with other virtualization software.

It is hard to remember what all one can customize, but if we are picking up and wearing helmets and chest plates etc. I would imagine that the customization options for the players body are going to be more limited so they are not making a ton of every piece of armor so they fit right. I could be wrong here.

CO didn't have equipment you could visually equip. It was more like power ups you could equip in your stats but not see on player. Or at least that is what I recall.
  • torskaldrtorskaldr Member Posts: 559 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I think Cryptic has done a good job with customization in STO. If we have that level of control, then I'll be pretty satisfied.
  • mzeeusikumzeeusiku Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 38
    edited May 2012
    For a while there Cryptic was De Rigeure when it came to character customization. But you're right about the hood/helm thing. I like the avatar thing that shows when you get a party or in your own character player screen.

I dont care as long as my handle bar mustache shows!
  • elissaraelissara Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I would like to see the ability to turn off shown helmets as I find it is a customizable choice that anyone too lazy to take off their helmet for RP reasons can compromise over. It would also be interesting to have two character item equipment load outs so that an RPer can switch what they are wearing with a press of the button. One for Casual which has restricted items that can be placed in there and the other for adventuring. As for character creation I would like to see extensive options I like being able to customize my characters to the full extent. I'm not sure if anyone has played Tera Online, but the character customization isn't that great its way to simplified.
  • lifonlifon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I agree with the posters above, with Cryptics history of having some of the best character customization options in their previous titles, as well as PWE's PWI having some of the best (Until A I O N). The two combined, I'm hoping to see some of the best character customization in an MMO..... However, we'll have to wait and see!
  • freekimdotcomfreekimdotcom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 118 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I have faith that Cryptic will make character customization really expansive. The only thing I really hope they put in are Dyes for clothing and armor. That was an awesome part of NWN and now GW2 is doing it.
  • aesclealaescleal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I have faith that Cryptic will make character customization really expansive. The only thing I really hope they put in are Dyes for clothing and armor. That was an awesome part of NWN and now GW2 is doing it.

I think this is both a fantastic idea and a horrible idea. Here's why!
    Being able to individualize your character in a game with clothing and armour dyes where there will be thousands, and with only one server likely tens-of-thousands, is a great way to both feel special, and also make it easier for friends to pick you out of a crowd.
    On the other hand, watching as people run past you wearing pink, orange, purple, aqua, or any other colour that doesn't fit the D&D armour theme (I'm using that loosely by the way), would greatly disappoint me.
    In NWN you typically saw people using muted colours, and the pallet Bioware offered was great for this reason. So if that's how it were to happen, great. But in UO you could dye things too, and there were some really, umm, strange arrangements.
    edited May 2012
    aescleal wrote: »
    I think this is both a fantastic idea and a horrible idea. Here's why!
    Being able to individualize your character in a game with clothing and armour dyes where there will be thousands, and with only one server likely tens-of-thousands, is a great way to both feel special, and also make it easier for friends to pick you out of a crowd.
    On the other hand, watching as people run past you wearing pink, orange, purple, aqua, or any other colour that doesn't fit the D&D armour theme (I'm using that loosely by the way), would greatly disappoint me.
    In NWN you typically saw people using muted colours, and the pallet Bioware offered was great for this reason. So if that's how it were to happen, great. But in UO you could dye things too, and there were some really, umm, strange arrangements.

Why would some bright colors not fit a D&D game, especially Forgotten Realms? Where does the idea come from that dyes must be muted and subdued?
  • ryvvikryvvik Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 966 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I hope to see customization, with regards to quivers, scabbards ect on the created class, i hate pulling arrows out of thin air! (unles the bow is magical and it shot flaming arows ect) bolts, shuriken ect lets have quivers/pouches hanging around our backs, or on the hip, scabbards for our swords, and daggers ect for those weapons that can be sheathed this way.
    edited May 2012
    As long as we don't go Liefeld crazy, I am for that.
  • aralixaralix Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    On the other hand, watching as people run past you wearing pink, orange, purple, aqua, or any other colour that doesn't fit the D&D armour theme

I think colors don't matter too much a rainbow of colors are quite reasonable when magic comes into play
    The truth will EAT you!
    328894f9-2005-4d27-a221-67ec37aa20f9_zpse7d8f150.jpg
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'd rather have accolades as special titles over garish colors but that's just me. It just seems more D&D like to have said titles, not that people don't go around with bright colors too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited June 2012
    I'm hoping for something similar to the level of customization found in STO and CO. Since this game will have way more gear than those two, I am sure there will be some major differences however. I hope to see a character builder of great magnitude and detail, with in-game functions to change things around (e.g. barber shop, reincarnation). A.ION (why is that censored?) is another that I really liked the level of detail in character creation.

As for gear customization, the toggling of showing things like cloaks, helms, gloves, boots and shoulders are very important to me also. The appearance of gear is also a big factor for me in MMORPGs, ever since the beginning with UO's Dye Tubs and Hair Dyes. I am also really liking WoW's transmogrification system - but hate the expensive nature of the transmog storage and how it has skewed the in game auction house prices on low-level gear that "looks cool." However, I have been perfectly pleased with LotRO's outfit tab system, indeed. I'd actually prefer this latter system for gear customization in Neverwinter.
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    Why would some bright colors not fit a D&D game, especially Forgotten Realms? Where does the idea come from that dyes must be muted and subdued?

That's fair. Perhaps I should never have said muted or subdued. But for me, and I'm just speaking for myself here, I'll lose interest pretty fast if everyone is running about in hot pink garb from head to toe. Can't you see it? The Pink guild? Where all pink, all the time, is there motto? Yikes! I for one hope dyes are controlled to a fitting pallet.

Again, just my 2cents.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    ... It just seems more D&D like to have said titles, not that people don't go around with bright colors too.

I agree too.

Also I don't think that people in D&D have enough skill points in science to use bright color dyes (as most dyes which are bright are man-made, otherwise they don't hold to the fabric). So I would think that colors should be dull (except for the exception of halo or shine).
    edited June 2012
    That is not entirely true. Look at a lot of silk colors. Granted no one was running around in neon but that could easily played off as such n such animal/plant produces the color naturally in some form seeing as how this is a fantasy setting.
    edited June 2012
    vangald wrote: »
    That is not entirely true. Look at a lot of silk colors. Granted no one was running around in neon but that could easily played off as such n such animal/plant produces the color naturally in some form seeing as how this is a fantasy setting.

I was talking about dyes applied to normal cotton clothes or leather armor.

Silk is different matter altogether. It shimmers because of refraction from fabric itself and not because of color. The colors done to it are ordinary but the cloth itself shimmers so the color, even when dull, appears bright.

Apart from that in old world setting, silk is delicate, not easy to wash and thus not ideal for adventuring. A few days of adventure would make silk dirty torn and dull.

Even if you were to color a cloth with bright dye in old days, it would wash off and become faded/dull very soon after exposure to sunlight or washing.
    edited June 2012
    That's fair. Perhaps I should never have said muted or subdued. But for me, and I'm just speaking for myself here, I'll lose interest pretty fast if everyone is running about in hot pink garb from head to toe. Can't you see it? The Pink guild? Where all pink, all the time, is there motto? Yikes! I for one hope dyes are controlled to a fitting pallet.

Again, just my 2cents.

I think there is room for bright colors, but I too would find an all pink troupe quite jarring. If they had a dreamhouse and a mascot named Ken it would drive me to war with them. b:chuckle
    edited June 2012
    torskaldr wrote: »
    I think there is room for bright colors, but I too would find an all pink troupe quite jarring. If they had a dreamhouse and a mascot named Ken it would drive me to war with them. b:chuckle

That made me laugh! It's settled. We start kill the pink PvP guilds! Hehe, just kidding!
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    That made me laugh! It's settled. We start kill the pink PvP guilds! Hehe, just kidding!

So began the order of the Turquoise' existence to kill the pink power ranger guild :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    So began the order of the Turquoise' existence to kill the pink power ranger guild :D

And overtime, red(war lovers) can go at war with greens(ecology lovers) and over time we can have world's first Rainbow Wars!

lol, its a bad joke but couldn't resist typing it after reading this.
    edited June 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    And overtime, red(war lovers) can go at war with greens(ecology lovers) and over time we can have world's first Rainbow Wars!

lol, its a bad joke but couldn't resist typing it after reading this.

Same here: The United Killer Color Guards of Benetton :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Oh god. Trying to restrain the string of inappropriate jokes coming to mind. b:sin
  • gilly44gilly44 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well usually I'd agree with you about tweaking the facial structure of your character, however, I have noticed that in almost every MMO/RPG type game most people's heads are covered with a helmet or hood or something. I know its interesting to have a unique character but i believe that it is wasted unless you get to see what you've created every time.

A good way to implement this would be in the character level up screen, where there is a portrait of your character without any head items on. Also if people could click on other characters and see them without the helmet/cowl they are wearing through some sort of character bio screen, then it would make sense to have that level of customization.

So I guess what I'm trying to say in my usual long winded way is, yes and no. Yes if we can view these custom choices in our everyday game play. No if we can't.

Wow I hope that made sense LMAO

Options that need to be avaiable is to Turn off various equipment parts visually.
    LOTRO does this and it is a good idea for other games to follow suit.

In LOTRO, Gloves, Boots, Helms, and Cloaks are all on toggles to turn on or off the visuals.
    Also, in STO, you can right click your armor and disable its view, so I am hoping ( and betting ) that here in Neverwinter we'll have a similar set up.

I agree with the OP that we do need many face slider options, and body slider options, to create unique characters.
    I believe we will see this, as in STO it is available.
    edited June 2012
    Since we have elves (and will have eladrin in the future) I wonder if we will have pointiness sliders for the ears?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]