test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So does this mean Clerics are in at launch?

talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
edited December 2012 in The Temple
I hope this is a great sign that the Cleric class will be coming at launch. How can you have a D&D group without a Cleric? I am also excited because of the four standard classes Cleric is the one for me. Although I sure wish we had Paladins. Maybe their will be a Cleric build like a Paladin.
Post edited by talsic on

Comments

• shiaikashiaika Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I'd vote for getting four classes at launch, one for each subforum. Unless there is an sneak attack by the ranger!!! O.O
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Stromshade has already confirmed clerics would be there at launch. About ranger he said no comments.
  • stormshadestormshade Member, Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    gillrmn wrote: »
    Stromshade has already confirmed clerics would be there at launch. About ranger he said no comments.

No comment. b:laugh

Thanks!

Stormshade
  • qumi0qumi0 Member Posts: 154 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Heh, well - ranger was kind of confirmed in one interview long ago, but seems everybody, including devs, forgot about it :P
    edited May 2012
    qumi0 wrote: »
    Heh, well - ranger was kind of confirmed in one interview long ago, but seems everybody, including devs, forgot about it :P

Hey! Is that you Qumi?
    They also took down the page which was showing just four classes (clr/ftr/rog/wiz) and said it would be revamped to include new classes.
    So perhaps, rngr may not be the only one to be added! (after all, I am sure they would like to show an fps mode with a ranger in that new combat system)
  • nimlohnimloh Member Posts: 177 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I know I'll be starting out with a cleric.
  • foxybatfoxybat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    They just better make crossbow Rogue an option if Ranger is going to be a paid class.
    edited May 2012
    I don't think there is any indication that classes/races would be paid.
    devs earlier said that vanity items and consumables would be paid.

But lets see ... if they really want, maybe they will lock it until you play a lot to unlock it or make it unlockable by paying. It won't be technically paid, but I know I would rather pay if I really want to play it.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    I don't think there is any indication that classes/races would be paid.
    devs earlier said that vanity items and consumables would be paid.

But lets see ... if they really want, maybe they will lock it until you play a lot to unlock it or make it unlockable by paying. It won't be technically paid, but I know I would rather pay if I really want to play it.

I don't think they ever mention anything about paying for classes and races. Would be surprised if they are free though. In STO I believe you pay for the Klingon race. I would actually expect and support paying for classes and races as the game needs to make revenue which revenue off of vanity/consumables simply won't cut it I think.
    edited May 2012
    I don't think they ever mention anything about paying for classes and races. Would be surprised if they are free though. In STO I believe you pay for the Klingon race. I would actually expect and support paying for classes and races as the game needs to make revenue which revenue off of vanity/consumables simply won't cut it I think.

I am not very sure if making classes 'pay-only' would be good or bad. You have considered how it would be good, it can be bad if the crowd in general perceives that paid classes are stronger than f2p classes. That may repel them from trying this game. Loosing crowd = loosing money. No one wants to pay for empty MMO.

I think that is the reason most games go for pay-only items which don't break game-balance.
    Lets leave it to devs. I had heard that they were planning to make it run for at least ten years. With PWE experience, they may know how to best pull it off.

Otherwise there is always an option to release awesome campaigns and make them p2p.
  • talsictalsic Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 37
    edited May 2012
    I would like to plead with perfect world to charge for classes other than the standard four classes - Fighter, Cleric, Rouge, mage. I would also plead with them to charge for different races other then the standard four races - Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hafling. This would cut down on all the unique races and class that are supposed to be rare anyways. I want this game to make it and one key to that is a solid revenue stream. I hope there is a VIP access package for a monthly fee to give people full access. I would be happy to pay for this and already have it in my budget.
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited May 2012

The catchphrase I think we'll hear sometime down the road is "non-essential items". They can include tomes, event items, hirelings/companions, guild boost/features including guild housing features, feat/spell swaps, name changes, storage bags, and such...

Will it be enough? I doubt PW will allow it to be enough. Expect power creeep/pay-to-win to enter the store somehow, at some point. I sure hope it doesn't though.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,369 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    talsic wrote: »
    I would like to plead with perfect world to charge for classes other than the standard four classes - Fighter, Cleric, Rouge, mage. I would also plead with them to charge for different races other then the standard four races - Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hafling. This would cut down on all the unique races and class that are supposed to be rare anyways. I want this game to make it and one key to that is a solid revenue stream. I hope there is a VIP access package for a monthly fee to give people full access. I would be happy to pay for this and already have it in my budget.

I agree totally. In fact, it might even allow them to keep it from going p2w.

Heck imagine if we can throw a few bucks at foundry creaters that create pro grade content. Be a good incentive for the dreamweavers to keep churning out new content ;)

ANYTHING to add diversity as well as keeping it from becoming p2w.

It will be interesting NO DOUBT to see how things unfold, don't you think?

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    talsic wrote: »

Thats DDO bussiness model and in my opinion it sucks :P

I played DDO for some time and i have a VIP acc (monthly fee) and i did because i wanted to enjoy the full DDO experience, althought i think this model is PAY TO WIN

Why ? just the simple fact that u have access to all raids/areas/quests of the game, u can get a much better gear than people who dont pay and u know DDO is all about gear and character build. Ofc u will still have to make a huge efford to get all the items, but u will have access to things that non-VIP will take years to archive.(if u are a regular player)

Ohhh and dont forget since im not a VIP anymore i cant play with my payable races i built while i was VIP lol

Cmon.....
    edited May 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Thats DDO bussiness model and in my opinion it sucks :P

Cmon.....

Not really. You see, there is no "win" as such in DDO. If you think going to lvl 20 is win, imo it is pretty easy to go to lvl 20 if you play sometime. Paying is about having fun. Infact, for many paid modules, we had to wait over half an hour or more to get full party (e.g. the unpopular high level necropolis quests).

PvP was just for fun too. We used to play "tag" and "hide and seek" kind of games. Not really serious.

As I like to play human only(or assimar which wasn't present), I never tried anything else. But doing a particular quest was fun in its own way.

p.s. My experience is quite old, so I am not sure if it is the same now.
  • dailonihildailonihil Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    I don't think people wait for half an hour for a quest, usually the most popular ones fill quickly, and if it takes long to fill, there are hirelings that can fill missing spots. That said, I agree with Gillrmn, DDO isn't pay-to-win. Afterall yes, you pay to have extra benefits, but that doesn't make you better than non-subscribing players at playing. Besides if there's good loot in a pack, then they probably going to have it too. b:laugh
    edited May 2012
    dailonihil wrote: »
    ... wait for half an hour for a quest, usually the most popular ones fill quickly, and if it takes long to fill, there are hirelings that can fill missing spots. ...

Ah yes sorry. I later realized my experience of DDO is quite old. Quests used to be tough with few options like hirelings and stuff. It has changed a lot than I remember how it was.
  • devoteoftempusdevoteoftempus Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 473 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Not really. You see, there is no "win" as such in DDO. If you think going to lvl 20 is win, imo it is pretty easy to go to lvl 20 if you play sometime. Paying is about having fun. Infact, for many paid modules, we had to wait over half an hour or more to get full party (e.g. the unpopular high level necropolis quests).

PvP was just for fun too. We used to play "tag" and "hide and seek" kind of games. Not really serious.

As I like to play human only(or assimar which wasn't present), I never tried anything else. But doing a particular quest was fun in its own way.

p.s. My experience is quite old, so I am not sure if it is the same now.

Actually I think DDO is quite P2W when it boils down to having to repeatedly TRing your character or how they put +3 tomes for sale or the experience tomes. P2W is very subjective though as any slight advantage people label as P2W even if it's just a time convenience like the reactions to the leaked GW2 cash shop.

I don't like the store with all the packs you have to buy and how they deceptively labeled the game as F2P when in fact it's really not... but then I guess that really applies to all F2P as DDO and LotRO are the only F2P games I've played. DDO and Turbine Stores in general are MT galore which I despise.
    edited May 2012
    I am not very sure if making classes 'pay-only' would be good or bad. You have considered how it would be good, it can be bad if the crowd in general perceives that paid classes are stronger than f2p classes. That may repel them from trying this game. Loosing crowd = loosing money. No one wants to pay for empty MMO.

I think that is the reason most games go for pay-only items which don't break game-balance.
    Lets leave it to devs. I had heard that they were planning to make it run for at least ten years. With PWE experience, they may know how to best pull it off.

Otherwise there is always an option to release awesome campaigns and make them p2p.

But I think it's proven with some games that people will pay for the advantage and it is successful otherwise the "P2W" shops would have failed a long time ago and PWE is VERY P2W from some people comments who've played their games.

I think that purely cosmetic/vanity items shop will be a pittance of revenue compared to say a certain features you pay for. I for one and a lot others won't spend a dime for a cosmetic/vanity item.

But yeah Cryptic will decide what route to take so have to wait n see, wahtever it is I just hope it's w/ good judgement.
  • macabrivsmacabrivs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 417 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2012
    Beside all u guys sayed i think its still P2W.

For example, i played as a tank and already TR 3 times, to be able to tank the end game bosses in hard mode tanks need to have a lot of intimidate and if u dont have the right gear u will never be able to reach (lets say 75 intimidate)

The gear i need was like 90% from pay content. It wasnt a problem for me coz i pay subscrition but for non-paying players it will take years to get all the paying content and some more time to get all the gear u want. Dont forgot in DDO every single skill point/ ability score/etc... will make a HUGE diference in the end game.

I wouldnt mind to see payin classes or races in neverwinter BUT NEVER PAYING CONTENT
    edited May 2012
    macabrivs wrote: »
    Beside all u guys sayed i think its still P2W.

For example, i played as a tank and already TR 3 times, to be able to tank the end game bosses in hard mode tanks need to have a lot of intimidate and if u dont have the right gear u will never be able to reach (lets say 75 intimidate)

The gear i need was like 90% from pay content. It wasnt a problem for me coz i pay subscrition but for non-paying players it will take years to get all the paying content and some more time to get all the gear u want. Dont forgot in DDO every single skill point/ ability score/etc... will make a HUGE diference in the end game.

I wouldnt mind to see payin classes or races in neverwinter BUT NEVER PAYING CONTENT

Cryptic content already has been stated that it is free so that's not a worry.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Confirmed this is not a "freemium" game setup.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • khoraxgatorkhoraxgator Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    DnD without clerics is just sad, and Clerics would fill the Leader role that is important in 4e. (Leaders are a support class group. They all get healing capabilities, and often have powers with secondary effects that aid the party).

As for Pay-to-Win. This generally implies that you get items that you would otherwise be unable to get. That the game is unwinnable without the items. This also applies to PvP elements of a game, where you can purchase powerful upgrades instead of playing the game to earn them. I abhor this method, as it means the game is geared towards forcing you into the cash shop. Having a cash shop model is -fine-, but don't make the free version -bad- or severely hobbled to promote it. It will only leave people to remember the bad experience and leave with it.
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    They said at E3 that there will be healers in this game. Why they did not choose to show any healing class is simply since they still try to balance game and healing. They also said they try to make healing easy and that you can choose areas to heal also.

Anyway in DD Cleric is the classic healer though Druids are fairly good and Paladins can slightly heal.

I am pretty certain there will be Clerics thats is so basic class in DD. Hopefully there will be more a few more classes at least so far only 3 have been shown.

Actually I have a theory. Since all Dungeons are basically meant for 5 players it could be that if they do not want(at release at least) make minimum effort they might include exactly 5 classes. That would make sense that in a party everybody would be different class.
    edited July 2012
    SS has already confirmed that clerics will be in at launch so this topic has already been resolved.

EDIT: See post 3 and 4
  • elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    SS has already confirmed that clerics will be in at launch so this topic has already been resolved.
    Excellent! A 5th class would be nice though... so there could exist a party of 5 and everybody would be different class. Note they said healing classes... could mean Clerics AND Druids... though honestly could be simply Clerics at launch and maybe I misunderstood and they meant only 1 healing class.

Well I guess since this is a free MMO we should be thankful for every class Cryptic creates, but it would be nice if they could at least post release introduce more classes. The impression I have got that Neverwinter will likely be released towards later part of 2012. It is not going to be released at summer at least.
    edited July 2012
    elewyndyl wrote: »
    Note they said healing classes... could mean Clerics AND Druids... ...

No, I had asked the question directly and was told specifically that cleric was in.
    The following classes have been confirmed:- fighter, wizard, rogue, cleric

However, during launch there would be more classes than these (I am guessing 7 or more from what I have followed from their interactions since last year). However, devs have not confirmed presence of any other class besides these.
  • synjynstormcrowsynjynstormcrow Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I tend to play clerics before I dip into any other class. I can't w8 to play.
  • frostmystalfrostmystal Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would be greatly concerned if any of the 4 standard dnd classes are not in at launch.

Fighter, Mage, Rogue, and Cleric have always been the main standard classes.

If this game cannot at least present those 4 classes at launch, then there is definitely something wrong.

I highly doubt this company would do something that stun.
    edited August 2012
    I would be greatly concerned if any of the 4 standard dnd classes are not in at launch.

Fighter, Mage, Rogue, and Cleric have always been the main standard classes.

If this game cannot at least present those 4 classes at launch, then there is definitely something wrong.

These were the basic classes in first edition or something - not rogue but theif iirc. I don't think they are basic anymore for a game based on 4th edition as paladin and ranger are no longer subclasses but standalone classes now. Also, there is no point commenting about those four as those have already been confirmed to be at launch along with unannounced new classes.