Options

Hell Pit Difficulty/Discussion

13»

Comments

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,224 Arc User
    edited October 2022

Day whatever.

Relatively easy, used a couple of health stones, tried to work out why certain powerups dissapear and some dont. It seems to be something like:

If you have a shield to use and a heart pops then the heart disappears at about 1:06 mins left.

Not to say that is a fact, but sometimes powerups disappear sometimes they dont.

Anecdotally I havent seen either shield and skull disappear.

(14th/21) Regarding disappearing of power up, besides what were reported so far, I found a new one today.

I was carrying a boot. The boot power up came out in the usual place (between the wall and the center). I planned to pop boot and then pick up boot. Just before I wanted to pop boot, the boot disappeared. WTx? So, I kept the boot and continue. A while later, the boot appeared at the center of the arena. ???? WTx? I pop the boot and picked up the boot.

I found another of my Sentinel noob ignorances. Until today, I did not know the at will I use. Sentinel's Slash, can be power up (and should be power up). It also blocks when it is charging. Duh!

Yeah! I forgot to run to test the rings too. 🤦‍♀️

Regarding the fight, nothing special besides easier after I found out the at-will power up and the auto block.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    finmakinfinmakin Member Posts: 447 Arc User
    I don't know why, but im dying a lot in there...
    It's still too hard for me
    Ogguk The Beholder… Justicar Paladin Tank/ Healer
  • Options
    aslan3775aslan3775 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 295 Arc User
    I only play this event with my TR--and that class, IMHO, has an incredible advantage with hell pit. Two area wide attacks, each of which have fast casts and long duration ticks that allow you to do other things (like run) if you choose. It also has the third AOE that can be cast twice very quickly, and does enough damage to wipe out most mobs with those two attacks.

If I were to compare this with my mage--well, I am certain it would be a different story. The slow casting times and the mediocre damage from those encounters would most likely get me killed. I might be able to throw a few AOE attacks together and run around in circles if I needed to avoid some combat while the DOTs worked, but the TR still has a definite advantage in that their encounters tend to very rarely be interrupted while a mage gets interrupted much more frequently (in my experience, anyway).

@finmakin : Are you running with your tank or healer build? I admit, I am not a great tank with paladin, but if I were to use my Tankadin, I would probably use burning light so that I can run an "indefinite" shield around me and pull all the mobs closer, then bane for hitting as many as I can at once. Unlike a normal 'pull' towards the center of the field, I would pull towards a corner so that my companion can get CA better and the mobs would have less chance to surround me. I don't know if i would slot templar's wrath for more aoe stuff or relentless avenger to escape across the pit and set up in another spot. I think the best bet would be to run with an active companion and boost their production as much as possible because my tankadin does lousy damage. So I would run with the Warlord's insignia and Leira's 20% for the companion. I also tend to slot the mount power from Celestial Wings or Armored Panda. IIRC, the Wings do extra damage to demons/devils and the Panda just pounds an area with bombs which can be done while you shield. I think i would also manage the clock so that mobs don't spawn more often than necessary. There might be some other suggestions like looking at what enchants/insignia/collars you have on that might be boosting your iLevel unnecessarily. Unfortunately, all my suggestions are stuff you are probably already doing.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    (15th/21) 70K full gear Sentinel with a new spec, using augment companion (probably a mistake).

Round 1: demon. try running first. Not an issue. Hardly reducing my HP. Later, try combat. That became an issue. Too slow to kill and no companion (+ no combat advantage) to help. Took forever to clean it up.

Round 2: Same thing. Took forever to kill the final boss. Used everything (artifact, mount power, daily) to help increasing damage.

Overall, just too long for 2 rounds. I probably will switch back to DPS tomorrow.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    callumf#9018 callumf Member Posts: 1,710 Arc User
    Observation Day - Study Powerup Disappearences

R1 - Heart powerup appeared, I grabbed it and held onto it for all five rounds
    R2 - Shield vanished at 1:12 left
    R3 - Boot vanished at c 20 seconds left
    R4 - Skull vanished at c 40 seconds left
    R5 - Skull vanished at > 1 min to go [was a bit hectic!]

Ran my stopwatch roughly a few seconds after Round 5 timed myself an interval of 1min read the book.

There was approx 30 seconds left of round 6 to complete.

Conclusion - if you are carrying the Heart Powerup, other powerups disappear. [Evidence very poor though only 1 test]
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited October 2022
    Well, i think the difficulty is getting were it should be, considering this event is made for players, that are still gearing up their characters.

Playing through the event with a 72k Dreadnought and a few 40-50k Dreadnoughts at the moment, no real problems during the first 14 days so far, but i have to use powerups and/or dailies/artifacts/mount powers to get through the rounds with my lower IL characters - mythic Succubus on my high IL Fighter, legendary/mythic Dedicated Squire on all the other Fighters.

Day 15 with the 2 rounds was no problem for my 72k either, have to wait and see how it goes with the others. And this time i also didn't get stuck in the gateways of the arena like it could happen regularly during past events, so that's a plus too.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    aslan3775 said:

@finmakin : Are you running with your tank or healer build? I admit, I am not a great tank with paladin, but if I were to use my Tankadin, I would probably use burning light so that I can run an "indefinite" shield around me and pull all the mobs closer, then bane for hitting as many as I can at once. Unlike a normal 'pull' towards the center of the field, I would pull towards a corner so that my companion can get CA better and the mobs would have less chance to surround me. I don't know if i would slot templar's wrath for more aoe stuff or relentless avenger to escape across the pit and set up in another spot. I think the best bet would be to run with an active companion and boost their production as much as possible because my tankadin does lousy damage. So I would run with the Warlord's insignia and Leira's 20% for the companion. I also tend to slot the mount power from Celestial Wings or Armored Panda. IIRC, the Wings do extra damage to demons/devils and the Panda just pounds an area with bombs which can be done while you shield. I think i would also manage the clock so that mobs don't spawn more often than necessary. There might be some other suggestions like looking at what enchants/insignia/collars you have on that might be boosting your iLevel unnecessarily. Unfortunately, all my suggestions are stuff you are probably already doing.

Thanks for your input, it will help a lot of tanks/healers who are not very high geared yet.
    For me?... I just enter the pit and let all the angry mobs spawn while i go to kitchen to make myself a strong coffee..
    And kill them all in one fight after finishing drinking a cup of coffee..

my reaction was more directed towards the ECL (everlasting complain legion) community who are only looking for ways to get hands on endgame rewards with hardly no efforts...
  • Options
    muschellka#7783 muschellka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    finmakin said:

aslan3775 said:

Thanks for your input, it will help a lot of tanks/healers who are not very high geared yet.
    For me?... I just enter the pit and let all the angry mobs spawn while i go to kitchen to make myself a strong coffee..

my reaction was more directed towards the ECL (everlasting complain legion) community who are only looking for ways to get hands on endgame rewards with hardly no efforts...
    Yes, you're right, that can be a problem. Some people are awful.
    Imagine that there are even tanks who have such big egos and such low tanking skills that they take dps bosses out of range or even kill unpunished DD meele for daring to take their aggro!
    Outrageous, yet sad at the same time.
    Because nature has a habit of compensating for losses: if someone has a big ego, then apparently something else has a tiny one.
  • Options
    edited October 2022
    (16th/21) Back to 68K Blademaster with an Air Genasi as companion.

Round 1: Devil. The mob basically ignored me and concentrated on my companion. I ran around my companion in the center of the arena and the mob decided to fight my companion instead. I did not bother to fight the mob and moving increases my damage bonus anyway. Fight a bit to finish round 1 when the clock expires.

Round 2: the first minute was like round 1. At one minute mark, the bonus appeared. I did not know (or remember) killing the boss finishes the round. At 30 seconds, the boss died and the round was done.

I also noticed: the store calls the companion "Windsoul Genasi" but in companion windows, it is called "Air Genasi".

• Options
    My first 2 round day.

Pretty easy all round tbh.
  • Options
    melotai#0794 melotai Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    The disappearance of power ups is random, had one disappear at the 1 minute 30 second mark and another with just 40 seconds left on the timer and most others within 10 seconds of the 1 minute mark.

Even for toons that have difficulty surviving the mobs, week three has always been the easiest because of the two round thing vs. five or six 2 minute rounds.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

finmakin said:

aslan3775 said:

Imagine that there are even tanks who have such big egos and such low tanking skills that they take dps bosses out of range or even kill unpunished DD meele for daring to take their aggro!
    Because nature has a habit of compensating for losses: if someone has a big ego, then apparently something else has a tiny one.
    People see that you are actually exhibiting a behavior equivalent to TDS
    Have a fine day Mr/ Mrs. Tick

• Options
    muschellka#7783 muschellka Member Posts: 120 Arc User
    finmakin said:

finmakin said:

aslan3775 said:

People see that you are actually exhibiting a behavior equivalent to TDS
    Have a fine day Mr/ Mrs. Tick

• Options
    Back on topic

So three days of week 3 completed.

Three Bosses

Captain Baldrick [?] named after the character in the UK comedy series Blackadder wasnt too much of a problem.

The Beast easy enough to kill

Day 3 something like Champion of Zariel [?] really not much of a champion.

Comment

I would prefer just to maybe fight a boss mob in each round and make each boss have some interesting mechanics to make the fights a bit more interesting.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    I have no issues running my Wizard in this. I can kill multiple mobs with just Icy Terrain. Earlier in the event, I was letting my Succubus fight all the mobs at once in the middle but she started demanding a tank role bonus so now I just kill everything myself.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    karvarekarvare Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    So, no problems with Hell Pit until today. Round 2 and I get The Beast, a boss that heals himself when I get him down about 1/3rd or so of his HPs. 5 times straight I damage him then he heals and does a charge attack sequence. Finally I just used a travel point to PE and logged out. My paladin tank just doesn't have the damage output to kill him before the total self heal.
  • Options
    karvare said:

So, no problems with Hell Pit until today. Round 2 and I get The Beast, a boss that heals himself when I get him down about 1/3rd or so of his HPs. 5 times straight I damage him then he heals and does a charge attack sequence. Finally I just used a travel point to PE and logged out. My paladin tank just doesn't have the damage output to kill him before the total self heal.

That sucks and I feel your pain. For a DPS it was relatively easy, not sure he even had a chance to self-heal. But yeah running The Beast on a tank would be painful. Also its kind of a design flaw for the event.
  • Options

Final day to see Wilfred.
    Round 1: Probably the easiest one for these 21 days. It started with 2 ShockTroop and slowly adding one by one. They are slow and have no range attack. I did not bother to fight until the end.

Fake round 2: took 3 seconds to 'kill' Wilfred.
    Round 2: took may be 15 seconds.
  • Options
    regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    Well, played through a few of the boss rounds with all of my lower IL Fighters, and i have to use pretty much everything (boosts, health potions, daily power, artifact, mount power) with them to win - i'd say the difficulty is now ok considering the rewards you can get from the event.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • Options
    Well another Hell Pit is over

Round 1: Pretty easy but I did use a health stone and the power up

Fake round 2: took me a couple of minutes to kill the fake Wilfred

Round 2: took me a few mins

I think the whole final days event took me about 5 mins from start to finish.

Well thank you to everyone who gave an input into this - my overall impression is its probably the best balanced Hellpit considerign at 68k item level it shoudl be easier than for a 30k item level toon. See you next year Hell Pit!

And away!