Options

M15: Control Wizard Class Changes

Comments

• Options
    divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    hastati96 said:

divectore said:

hastati96 said:

Disintegrate will be a must have for single target builds.

but boi, disintegrate has always been a must have for single target builds, even if they nerfed heavily, still will be a must have for single target, because it hits like a daily while having really low CD.
    This for example is one problem I see. An encounter should not hit like a Daily. Why don't they buff Ice Knife instead. The cw changes are probably not bad for the class but mostly bad design choices imo.

I agree, i'd want to see ice knife dealing more damage than disintegrate too, but it just can't happen, Ice Knife is right now the strongest single target daily in the game, not only deals a ton of damage, but also knocks prone and adds chill to control after the knock prone. It's other competitors are: HR's Disruptive shot: interrupts your enemy and deals less damage than an at-will, TR's Shocking execution: Deals high piercing damage, but it's less than half of ice knife's, GWF's Crescendo: stuns, and knocks prone your enemy and deal high damage with the last slash, but takes 5 seconds of casting animation, lastly, probably it's biggest competitor, SW's Brood of hadar: Stuns your enemy, dealing great damage, then summon bats that deal great damage too, so you end up dealing high damage with nearly instant cast while controlling your enemy.
  • Options
    theycallmetomutheycallmetomu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,861 Arc User
    Well, if the "your allies get-" thing applies to you do, that completely changes all of my build options going forward! Thanks for the heads up.

As for the rules language on 3.xtinct, I can't really comment on that.
  • Options
    divectoredivectore Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    The thaumaturge feat: "Frozen Power Transfer" gets it's stacks reset everytime you succsessfully hit an enemy with the third hit: example: if i hitted 3 enemies with the third hit, and right after, i hit 1 enemy with the third hit, my stacks go from 3 to 1.
  • Options
    quickfoot#7851 quickfoot Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    Don't be so quick to get angry. The changes aren't bad, I kind of like them, but I think:

1. Thaumaturge could use a little loving to be the obvious dps path, (rework the Assailing Force, should result in a net 30-50% dps increase, change power surge to buff encounter damage instead of at-wills.)
    2. Oppressor could use a little loving to be the obvious consistent support path, (make Controlled Momentum buff 15-20% unstackable w/ other cw's, the capstone as is reduces target's outgoing damage, which is really nice).
    3. Renegade is interesting as a dps/support as is, but I think the up times of Chaos Magic buffs could be increased some.

• Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User

Would I like CW to have a support spec? Yes, I would and quite frankly I think it should be oppressor not renegade. The theme of renegade is randomness, the theme of thaum is dps. The only path that is not very well defined is oppressor, being a "control" path, but control falls more into the domain of support then anything else. Renegade imo should have the theoretical potential to do more dps or more support then either path, but have the randomness as a detracting factor. I would add much more variance to the path, but make what it does swing from wildly powerful to completely underwhelming. Then Oppressor could have less "peak potential" but still be a strong support spec with a support capstone and thaum could do dps. We are very close to being in a situation where this could happen, it just takes a reworking of the capstones.

While I agree that the Oppressor at the moment good supporting groups, it's not a real "support" (on live at least). Support is someone who gives out a lot, to benefit the others more (and there a ton of rene support falls, because they give out 90% for a less in exchange, being a burden overall). I'd call it hybrid. It's a decent DPS with a really little exchange between group supporting effect and damage output, because those are mostly aligned. It's a DPS with extras.

I prefer Renegade to be the niche support (but at the moment too niche, basically not having use as a support except trials and tiamat) and the changes does not really help on the support side, just making it do so much damage that it does not really matter anymore.

Renegade basically lack buffs (only 2, I just don't count UC) and progressivity. In sum, they are not much and you can't really help on that. @gildriador said that Phantasmal should give the % of your crit severity to you and your allies and I agree. I'd like to make it like 25% of your crit sev sharable for your allies (yourself excluded). Same with Combat advantage damage bonus, make us "unnecessarily" build on it for sharing purposes.

And I'd change Controlled momentum with Brisk transport and then with frigid winds, making CM tier 3, transport tier 5 and winds tier 2. That'd help Rene to take the Oppr buff as well.
  • Options
    mynaammynaam Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 937 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    hastati96 said:

Disintegrate is out of control. I did some testing on puppets where the puppet is most of the time lower than 25% of its HP. This does not show the regular dungeon behavior I know but Disintegrate will be a must have for single target builds.

Please don't think that Disintegrate is OP and you are going to nerf it. The damage output of a CW is pretty decent I think. If you nerf Disintegrate you have to buff something else otherwise we are as weak as before the balance changes.

I do really like the changes do Disintegrate but sadly I would have wished for something different. An overall improvement of the class would be much more interesting than simply buff 1 spell this much.
    Making spells like Fanning the Flame, Ice Knife, Magic Missile or Ray of Enfeeblement stronger could have also been a way to make CWs more balanced compare to other classes (or maybe even buff the good old Shard that hasn't seen love since almost 10 modules?)

Interesting I got a complete different result must have messed up somewhere. Need to mention this was on a solo KR so no other players with me was trying to test the difference on live and preview with no changes.

Disintegrate : 21%
    StormSpell: 21%
    OF: 18
    CoI: 12%

I will play around more i want my DI to be like that :)

EDIT: All in all there was a clear DPS increase from live to preview so really can't see why everyone i screaming nerf . Please let me know what i am missing

Also clearly you were testing MOF i was testing SS :) I really hope we can get some diversity in this game this is getting ridiculous that all classes must just follow one path
    There are more than BIS players in this game
    RIP Real Tiamat, RIP Real Demogorgon RIP real Temple of the spider. Why remove non bis content to give to bis players ????
    FORCING the majority of your player base to play 4 mod old dungeons and trial will have a bad result on player base
    Changes are getting so bad i would rather prefer no new changes (RIP ICE FISHING in winter fest)

• Options
    I don't know about being optimal, but I've been trying this build for AoE Support It's MoF with Frost Wave and Combustive Action passive features, and here's a screenshot of the feats I've been using, it's the Renegade variant of the idea, kinda based on Gohaken's guide on MoF support builds for really fast spamming of Oppressive Force.

• Options
    ruslan1404#8974 ruslan1404 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    Why conduct of ice when not Spell mastery doesn't refresh times stacks chill of other skills on the main target
    without stacks added

• Options
    slysnow#2290 slysnow Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    Remove imprisonment. No one uses it. It doesn't add a thing to the cw.

Copy: summon a clone that has 25% of your stats to fight for you. Copy casts a random daily before leaving. Each rank increases stats copied to a max of 33% of your stats
    Spell mastery: summon two clones

Mirror: (pve) if dealing damage deal double damage for 2.5 seconds. (Pvp) Absorb half the damage as hp (or deflect half) for 2.5 seconds. Each rank increases duration by .5 seconds to a max of 4 seconds
    Spell mastery: mirror shatters on expiration dealing 20k damage

Impale: summon a bolt of lightning to impale your target from behind (attack as strong as disintegrate) causing bleed (or partial paralysis idk). Each rank increases bleed duration and damage
    Spell mastery: rain multiple bolts down as an aoe ensnaring your targets

Idk just anything. Imprisonment is truly a wasted encounter.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

I like to joke about spells like Imprisonment, Geas, Banishment...but seriously, @balanced#2849, what is the deal with these abilities? I'm sure you can access metrics that indicate which abilities are used most frequently, and I'm positive that they have a lot to say about how much dust these useless "anti-combat" spells are gathering.

Personally I'm okay with a few niche abilities, but these spells are worse than bad; they're counterproductive to real (fun) gameplay. A properly niche power is something like SW's Tyrannical Curse daily, or even DC's Searing Light (which is good only when you are faced with a long, narrow bottleneck filled with mobs). Imprisonment and such have no useful applications at all outside of trolling. They aren't even useful for newbies in the way that Repel can be for first-time CWs since they aren't acquired until late-game.

Suggestion: consider appropriating the Bigby's Hand visual from Withers in ToNG and converting Imprisonment to a damaging Arcane encounter, Bigby's Crushing Hand. That way it's thematically appropriate for both SS and MoF, can be used to incapacitate a trash mob if desired, and could actually deal the kind of damage that could make it another viable Arcane choice for a single-target rotation.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited October 2018
    ^^Or instead of Imprisonment, Mirror Image or Blur, that would be a sweet defensive ability. Under the hood it could increase deflection chance and deflect severity similar to a TR's Impossible to Catch, but being reduced in effectiveness each time you take damage (an image fades), like -10% deflection chance and -3% deflect severity from the bonus. That would be useful and fits thematically with Wizards from pnp D&D. Maybe at 4 ranks +50% deflection chance and +15 deflect severity, and on Spell Mastery 75% deflect chance and 25% deflect severity or something. Blur might not be reduced by taking damage, but instead be less potent.

Also, change Fanning the Flames to "Fireball"! =)

• Options
    utookmynickutookmynick Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    mynaam said:

Interesting I got a complete different result must have messed up somewhere.

Maybe he has Disintegrate on tab and he already said the dummy was under 25% most of the time.

• Options
    slysnow#2290 slysnow Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    "There isn't time for M15 to redesign Imprisonment (or replace it). But we are continuing with more class improvements and adjustments with M16 so that is a power we can review. In its current form it is a very limited power that doesn't work with many players rotations."

- noworries response to imprisonment question on reddits ask me anything
  • Options
    cheesey#4444 cheesey Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    Feedback on some of the changes:
    Powers
    - Sudden Storm/Fanning the Flame: Increase base damage by 10%.

At-Wills
    - Storm Pillar: Charge time down to 1 second.
    - Scorching Burst: Shorten the charge time.

Class Features
    - Evocation: Increase the damage per rank to 10% up from 5%. At the moment its behind Chilling Presence which applies to all powers. Evocation should stand out more for AOE fights. Currently Evocation does 25% for AOE powers, whilst Chilling Presence does 24% for all powers.
    - Arcane Power Field: Increase its duration more.
    - Arcane Presence:The problem with the design of this Class Feature is that you would need to use Arcane Powers to increase the damage of powers that aren't Arcane. Maybe it should be reworked to do the same as Chilling Presence but for Arcane Stacks. So it would be something like:
    Your damage is increased by 1.2% for each Arcane Stack you have. You also gain 3% recharge speed. Additional Ranks grant 1.2% damage and 3% recharge speed.
    This would deal the same damage as Chilling Presence but allow the for the player to only care about Arcane Stacks and create an Arcane build. The recharge speed increase would help balance out the Frozen component of Chilling Presence.

Feats
    - Shatter Strike should be restored to proc on all powers.
    - Power Surge: Should be reworked to:
    Activating the Spell Mastery power increases damage by 10% for 8 seconds. Does not stack.
    Having something that increases only At-Will damage in a feat tree that reduces encounter cooldowns, which eliminates the use of At-Wills, is kinda pointless.
    -Assailing Force: Is really weak in general should be reworked to:
    Activating an encounter power grants Assailant. Assailant deals 400% Weapon damage. Only effects 1 target when used in AOEs.
    Scales will all buffs/debuffs and can crit.

Bugs:
    - Storm Pillar's arcs should be allowed to Crit
    - Enemies can push back Storm Pillar and move it away.
    - Steal Time does not proc weapon enchantments.
    - Steal Time goes on full cooldown when you are knock backed by an enemy whilst casting. Shouldn't it be halved?
  • Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User

vorphied said:

Imprisonment and such have no useful applications at all outside of trolling. They aren't even useful for newbies in the way that Repel can be for first-time CWs since they aren't acquired until late-game.

Suggestion: consider appropriating the Bigby's Hand visual from Withers in ToNG and converting Imprisonment to a damaging Arcane encounter, Bigby's Crushing Hand. That way it's thematically appropriate for both SS and MoF, can be used to incapacitate a trash mob if desired, and could actually deal the kind of damage that could make it another viable Arcane choice for a single-target rotation.

That would be awesome! -- and there's already visual FX in game that NPCs use for stuff like this (per @vorphied Withers and also the Thayans in some zones use force-punch types spells, etc).

Please let's <3 the Circle of Eight :-)

+1 vote for Bigby's Crushing Hand, or at least his Raised Middle Finger.

I'd like to offer another option for this proposed change-out, or similar: Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Or heck even (Greater) Dispel Magic. Closest we have to this right now is pressing "Q" in the Sisters of Ravenloft fight, while Tome'ing.

Something from the Abjuration school of magic would help beef up CW Support play -- including stripping buffs off enemies and/or ending the nasty effects of debuffs on our party per examples mentioned above.

Another nostalgic option is (Mass) Stoneskin; if done as an Encounter, then single target but allow it to be cast on anyone (even pets --for people who's bondings keep going out) so it's totally viable for support play. Slot on Tab for the Mass version on all party members and their pets at the same time (or do Mass version only if Daily).</p>
    Why not meteor storm. Animation already exist as well.
  • Options
    yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    I'm all for the integration of more DnD spells for the Wizard class. Yes i said Wizard, because the control part is irrelevant anyway. Oh and something else, steal time doesn't proc weapon enchants on live as well. I've tested it on a pure terror and the debuff icon never appears on any mob, when using Steal time and it's also buggy with Aoe powers as well. This bug is also present in preview and i've already made a bug report,on live, too.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    > @mebengalsfan#9264 said:
    > Remove imprisonment. No one uses it. It doesn't add a thing to the cw.
    >
    > Imprisonment and such have no useful applications at all outside of trolling. They aren't even useful for newbies in the way that Repel can be for first-time CWs since they aren't acquired until late-game.
    >
    > Suggestion: consider appropriating the Bigby's Hand visual from Withers in ToNG and converting Imprisonment to a damaging Arcane encounter, Bigby's Crushing Hand. That way it's thematically appropriate for both SS and MoF, can be used to incapacitate a trash mob if desired, and could actually deal the kind of damage that could make it another viable Arcane choice for a single-target rotation.
    >
    >
    > .
    >
    > That would be awesome! -- and there's already visual FX in game that NPCs use for stuff like this (per @vorphied Withers and also the Thayans in some zones use force-punch types spells, etc).
    >
    > Please let's <3 the Circle of Eight :-)
    >
    > +1 vote for Bigby's Crushing Hand, or at least his Raised Middle Finger.
    > .
    >
    > I'd like to offer another option for this proposed change-out, or similar: Mordenkainen's Disjunction. Or heck even (Greater) Dispel Magic. Closest we have to this right now is pressing "Q" in the Sisters of Ravenloft fight, while Tome'ing.
    >
    > Something from the Abjuration school of magic would help beef up CW Support play -- including stripping buffs off enemies and/or ending the nasty effects of debuffs on our party per examples mentioned above.
    > .
    >
    > Another nostalgic option is (Mass) Stoneskin; if done as an Encounter, then single target but allow it to be cast on anyone (even pets --for people who's bondings keep going out) so it's totally viable for support play. Slot on Tab for the Mass version on all party members and their pets at the same time (or do Mass version only if Daily).</blockquote>
    >
    > Why not meteor storm. Animation already exist as well.

Because Meteor Swarm, while eminently appropriate for MoF, doesn’t fit thematically with SS.

The slot occupied by Imprisonment on the power map is a universal one. I would love for it to be Meteor Swarm or Incendiary Cloud for MoF and (Call) Chain Lightning or somesuch for SS, but that’s unlikely.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    edited October 2018
    Replace Imprisonment with Invisibility or Greater Invisibility on Tab, trollolololololol!
    Or Haste/(Mass) Haste: Increase run speed by 5/10/15/20% and increase Recharge Speed by 5/10/15/20% and grants Combat Advantage.

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    vorphied said:

The slot occupied by Imprisonment on the power map is a universal one. I would love for it to be Meteor Swarm or Incendiary Cloud for MoF and (Call) Chain Lightning or somesuch for SS, but that’s unlikely.

Why not ask for the spell wish over imprisonment, and make it provide the CW a self buff. I mean it makes sense since that is what we are wishing for, more dps and self buffs.

• Options
    dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    So I completely forgot to ask the most important question about these changes..

Does Disintegrate still actually disintegrate enemies if you kill them with it?
  • Options
    aerhythia#3255 aerhythia Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Far as I can tell most of the current changes are all about reworking existing feats and powers. Change Frozen Power Transfer to self-buff on first hit or something like that and there's a bit more DPS, at least for Thaum (supposed to be the "selfish DPS" path) . Make new Power Surge have a small boost to encounters and dailies as well.

Also buff CM a bit, makes Opp more potent for buff / debuff.

Not saying I disagree to add new spells however currently CW has like 6 - 7 good encounters, some of them even additional utility on spell mastery (ST, DI, RoE, FtF) ... that's actually more then most of the other classes have. GWF swap one encounter.

• Options
    fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    > @wizzy#0870 said:
    > Chaos Magic:
    > Using a power grants a stack of Chaos Magic to nearby allies. A stack of Chaos Magic grants 2% Damage, 1% LS, 2% Arm Pen, 2% Crit and 3% Recharge Speed. Stacks max 10 times. On receiving or refreshing a stack, the receiver is healed for 4% of their Max HP.

This right here: if we could combine the Renegade capstone buffs instead of having 6, relying on chance with some of them less than useful.
  • Options
    > @metalicum1 said:
    > Feedback Uncontrolled Obliteration
    > + Similarly to Chaos magic, this is a very nice flavor to the chaotic version of CW (it's like Izzet :D)
    > + Very nice offensive buff, a variation on other self buffs that thematically fits. Potentially very strong.
    >
    > - It doesn't belong where it is in Ren tree, in the current form. Ren is shaping to be a support tree, so putting self buffs under its capstone is contradictory. You are risking that EVERY single CW will run Renegade because of this feat.
    > - It doesn't provide any synergy with Chaos Magic beside more personal dmg, which is not what we want in a tree that focuses support (at least based on a design of the capstone)
    > -
    >
    > Solution/Different approach
    > This is the most problematic feat now.
    > Instead of self buffing (something I don't really like to see in the column under Ren capstone) make a buff for others similar to Commander strike. Either it can function as an Aura for other only - or on attack/encounter or something like that. Of course it would need to be nerfed, because it would be too strong when an entire party benefits - something like "up to 3-6-9-12-15%"
    > Another option would be to make it a status effect on enemy which would be consumed when another party member hits.
    >
    > If the feat stays as is, Ren might be the only viable tree, and that's really bad. Even now we have 2 viable tree based on whether the party has CA. With Thaum being in a gutter, This one feat can break it considering Nightmare Wiz is in Ren tree 20 feats+.

If we got a buff similar to Commander strike it would be well deserved for rene cws. I'd tread lightly in the nerf. We are already the least desired class in the game for end game group content, particularly as a support. People prefer temp, do, gf any day.
  • Options
    > @zlijaguar said:
    > Hi ppl, as former cw now op i can tell you that no changes will make cw desirable in parties (5man), as party will always take gf instead of cw (meta party) and im telling this as op it hurts me to say but cw is excellent class to play but its no good buff/debuff and for sure its bad dps, fortunatly for me i sow where constant cw nerfing is gonna take cw so i left playing cw and switched to op and i dont regret, if you are pve(dont know for pvp) just switch to desirable class as gwf, dc, gf or op.

It's so unfair nerf after nerf has left cw in the bottom if the trash when it's my favorite character and funnest to play that nobody wants in groups. We should not be forced to switch mains *sigh.