test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Constant patching in-game since Ravenloft released?

Comments

• regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,043 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    It happens in any area in game, but it gets really bad in Bavoria when running the Yesterhill heroic encounter with several other players participating in it.
    It feels like i'm suddenly playing with a "streaming" client instead of a regular client...
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
  • saraleah01saraleah01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    percemer said:

Greetings,

Last I noticed, the devs are investigating on this issue, but they need more information like:
    Where are players reporting this? Only in Barovia? Around the game? Etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

yes, constant every zone, every instance, every character... only exception i could find was in starter area when making a new character.

as i posted above even did a un-install / re- install and now am stuck in "on demand" since every attempt to disable it gives this - ERROR: Failed to load dbghelp: 126
    Line: f:\cjunctions\src\utilities\crypticerror\harvest.c(543) - ....
  • greywyndgreywynd Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7,093 Arc User
    Also, not sure if it is related or not, I keep the camera shake off, as that bothers me to no end. I've been seeing a lot of that lately, as well.
    I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission. Earth just lost her best defender, so we're here to fight. And if you want to stand in our way, we'll fight you too.
  • chronoskenschronoskens Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I noticed that with the on demand patching problem that is happening the amount of memory used by the game continues to increase before I never had the game use more that 2 gig of memory now it is going over 4 and continues to increase, also that copies of peoples companions are all over the place.
  • wickedduck22#9795 wickedduck22 Member Posts: 100 Arc User
    I thought it wasn't a bug but that it just showed the "patching" your hard drive would do.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited July 2018
    I mostly notice it when I am logging into a character, it shows patching data in the top left corner of the loading screen. I've ensured that on demand patching is disabled and it still does it almost every login. I also noticed it the other day just walking around in Protector's Enclave.
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    Hey folks! I'm bringing this up again to see if there are any updates or additional information.
  • rana#9705 rana Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Happens on every character, and in every zone, even if you leave and come back to a zone, you'll see the "on-demand" patching system firing off in a zone it's already done. And this is with on-demand patching turned off.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    percemer said:

Greetings,

Last I noticed, the devs are investigating on this issue, but they need more information like:
    Where are players reporting this? Only in Barovia? Around the game? Etc.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kind regards,

I first noticed it in Barovia, but it has been following me wherever I go. Seems to be worse in PE.
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    I'm seeing it on every map transfer. Doesnt matter what zone, or area and on every character i play on.
    Sometimes its really quick... other times it lags the map loading screen.

I have been seeing also during gameplay, forcing stuttering of the character and rubber banding.
  • handofdonkhandofdonk Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 25 Arc User
    @nitocris83 , do we have any more news as to whether any progress has been made in isolating this particular bug?

It's still present, and doesn't seem to be zone or character dependent - although I don't seem to be suffering from it quite as much as I have been earlier in this mod (I haven't tested this extensively mind you). If you have any more news as to what's going on with this, I, and I dare say a large portion of the playerbase would very much appreciate a heads up.

• toungebitertoungebiter Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    July 26 now, and it is still going. Constant "patching" notices in every zone.
  • foxxy#4211 foxxy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 563 Arc User
    Happens in every zone, every instance, every character, dungeons and skimishes and speciaIIy crowded pIaces and whenever it "patches" it starts to Iag
    I had no problems in raids before Ravenloft, yesterday i ended up in Rise of Tiamat and it was a pain to lag through...
    So, what's going on here?!
    Want to know why?
  • saraleah01saraleah01 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    still constant patching in every zone that has recieved "forced on demand" patching...

ticket for error "ERROR: Failed to load dbghelp: 126
    Line: f:\cjunctions\src\utilities\crypticerror\harvest.c(543) -" was "cookie cutter read script help = no help" for error with launcher after re-install in attempt to remedy constant patch and remove "on demand"...

what has happened to this game?

• pedro2908926pedro2908926 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    im glad to see that im not the only one with those performance issues, hope that Cryptic do something about it as fast as possible, cuz is about a mounth since i've been able to play Neverwinter... i've kind of quited the game since mod 14 was released because its unplayable.

edited July 2018
    ... or at least give us some advice on what we can do to reduce this, until there's a patch with a fix for it ready.
    Want to know why?
  • demolitioninc#2453 demolitioninc Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    same issue here, every area, every toon, constantly patching something.
    1. PzkwVI_Kingtiger - GWF
    2. PMS-Extreme - Moffus Debuffos
    3. Tiamat's Toyboy - OP
    4. Rent-A-DC - 1 GMOP per 30 minutes
    5. Officer at Civil Anarchy, Member of Fabled Alliance
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    @nitocris83
    Julia, are there any updates on this?
  • nitocris83nitocris83 Member, Cryptic Developer, Administrator Posts: 4,498 Cryptic Developer
    I haven't received any new updates from the team looking into this. I've put in a request for info.
  • heraldfayez#8520 heraldfayez Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    yeah extremly annoying i reported this ages ago but ofc probably ignored as usual so yeah
  • arcanjo86arcanjo86 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,093 Arc User
    @percemer all over all game including during load screens, moving around, when activating class powers etc. on demand on client is disabled.
  • kallikendrakallikendra Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Is this what's been causing the lag then? I thought maybe it was my WiFi so switched to fixed connection but it's still laggy as anything!
    Hello?
    Any update on this issue?
    :|
    Want to know why?
  • yashmak#1787 yashmak Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    Thanks to this thread I finally found out what destroyed my gaming performance. It looks like the client is eating memory, it doesn't have performance issues when you start it but then (and maybe this continuous patching thing is the cause) it gets so "heavy" and slow that it starts lagging pretty bad. If my computer goes standby without completely exiting the client, when I turn it on I can't play Neverwinter anymore because the lag is absurd. I have 8 GB RAM and a decent Nvidia card + CPU, never had this problem before a few weeks ago. I just need to stop playing and restart the client to get performance back for a while.
    Please, please, please fix this leaking problem.
  • therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    After 8/9/18 maintenance, the permanent in-game file patching continues… :-/
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    I can confirm that. It even does a minipatch when I random que to dungeons. It's a constant "oops bit of info needed there" blipping in the upper lefthand corner of screen. It's not lagging me, just annoying.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • twwkta#4648 twwkta Member Posts: 2 New User
    I also have the same issue with annoying patching just about anytime i enter a dungeon and i have only played since 8/8/2018. it didn't start until this new update shortly after i started playing. It was very bad right before the server went offline around midnight Eastern Standard Time after this it tried to patch the whole 12GB+. I am going to try and sleep but if figured i would mention this considering i am only level 24. yet others much higher have the same issue so i assume its a generalized problem in the end. I just figured i would add onto the current question to @nitocris83
  • frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator
    I don't think it actually patches anything. Probably just verifies the files are there while loading them and has accidently started to show a notification for that. On-demand patching takes a whole lot longer than a flash even with an extremely fast connection.
    FrozenFire
  • agilestoagilesto Member Posts: 516 Arc User
    I don't know if it actually patch anything or just verifies the files locations.
    What I do know however is that I disable in-game patch on launcher because it speeds up my loading bars. Before M14, I had no problem, I patch the game on launcher each time, but then I was free, and loadings inter-zones were a one-shot wait.

Since M14, the loading stops each and every time the patching message shows up. Not for long (usually), but still stops. And problem is the message shows at every possible loading, and more than once, making the waiting time a lot longer than previously, and definitly way less smooth.