test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Refining Refinement

Comments

• Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User

I also tried the new Bonus RP on preview and was similarly underwhelmed. I ran a patrol in Chult and earned nothing at all and wondered if the event simply wasn't working, then went to Sharander and just ran in a circle killing stuff. I earned more RP from the green equipment I picked up than from the event. For it to really qualify as an event that can help with progression, the quantity of RP it gives as kill bonuses should be cranked up.

The lack of visible event feedback is also an issue, imo. I had to keep opening my Riches tab to see whether or not the counter was going up. I imagine the event "drop" is on a cooldown like any event that drops bonus loot from kills (Tymora, Waukeen), but those you can see and be aware of the timing of them.

Wow- that's a bit disappointing. I haven't had time to get on preview yet but I was hoping it would give similar rewards to that we get from Dragon's Hoard or Wanderer's fortune.

I don't really kill many things with my main so if it's tied to monster kills that's disappointing to support classes.

Also it says that you get RP from killing monsters within 7 levels of you-

It says within 7 levels.. Does that mean level 70s should be farming mobs in level 63 zones?
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

It says within 7 levels.. Does that mean level 70s should be farming mobs in level 63 zones?

These types of events do work in areas that scale you, so blowing up powries or water cultists tends to be the easiest way to go about it. I don't think it matters a lot with the built-in cooldowns though. If you kill a bit slower, then you don't have to put the brakes on manually as much.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    oorooooroo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User

Edit: what I really resent is that in the tech notes they boast the fact the 2nd enchant needed for refining R7-R9 is gone. Well, you increased the amount of GM of Potency needed. For armor/weapon enchants, R8 needs 10 of them (up from 2) to be upgraded, R9 15, R10, 10 SUPERIOR marks, R11 15 of them, R12 10 ULTIMATE marks. With RNG. Consider slashing those in half

So using the (inflated due to dbl refining days, granted) prices on the market today, it looks like upgrading a gem from 11 to 12 today costs about 325K AD worth of refining agents - not including wards. Using the same prices, it will cost about 1.125 Million AD after this change - not including wards. OMG.

I have read through all the comments in this section, it took some time :-), but it was worth it. I agree with many contributors, the changes are definitely pointing to the right direction, because the game does need some streamlining (refining and loot management) and also some serious balancing acts (like the overpowered bonding feature).

The loot management feature is brilliant, you have many useful tips already on how to improve it even further. The only issue I found was that when I used the auto-convert feature the one-by-one method showed the details of the stone package values along with the crit values, but when you click on the Finish button it did the whole process without showing anything. It wasn't clear if the forced finish gave you all those extra crits or just did a nominal value refinement process.

The new proposed refinement process works well so far and it sorts out that design mistake when the ench-artifact max level upgrade left the old upgrade concept in the game adding only a straight upgrade path from 10 to 12. I wager a lot of people couldn't get past the R7-R10 "water trap" to get to R12, because it was and still is very expensive. We should have seen the balance to shift from R7 to R9 where the double ench criteria should have started to finish at R11 to R12 (emphasising the status of the R12). Going forward the new changes rectify this problem, but we have to try to avoid the same mistakes again meaning that we shouldn't build in a very steep cost curve too early in the mid area of the ench upgrade leveling path. If we go from the R12 to R14 then the difficulty shouldn't start at R7 (saying instead of 2 R7s we need more potencies). R7 was the starting point of the climbing curve when the max level was R10, we need to shift this a bit more towards R9 or R10, then starting to raise the bar more. I suggest the following:
    - R8 needs 2 gmop to R9 (it is easier here then in the current system)
    - R9 needs 5 gmop to R10 (it is easier here then in the current system)
    - R10 needs 2 smop to R10 (it is easier here then in the current system)
    - R11 needs 5 smop to R12 (it is easier here then in the current system)
    - R12 needs 5 umop to R13 (it is much harder here; as additional criteria pls consider using 10 blue and 5 purple refining stones along with the umops)
    - R13 needs 10 umop to R14 (when the Wondrous Bazaar prices stay where they are and the umop costs about 250 000 AD)

I have to touch upon the bonding changes as well. The change is needed because that feature is out balance at the moment and it is the go to choice option in the game. The investment to get 3 R12 bondings is very steep and for many that makes it very difficult to get it. I think it is safe to say that to be considered hdps (high dps is a strange differentiation, meaning that those select few BIS geared player above the average dps crowd) nowadays you have to have 3 R12 bondings, and you know something is wrong in the game if ppl advertise their TIL and possession of 3 R12 bondings hoping for the epic trial or dungeon invitation.
    There has to be a choice in the game which way someone wants to develop the character like augment or bonding, burst dmg like Sudden rings or sustained dmg like Ostorian rings, stacking weapons like stronghold or straight buff weapons like the relic ones. Stacking is the progressive path when "someone takes a risk for a short benefit" but loosing out later or having stable, calculated gain for a longer period of time. Bonding has to come back in par with the augment feature so the player could decide which "investment broker" behaviour it is favouring, the slow but steady or the quick but risky?

Lastly, the new mod needs to take care of the Class artifact refinement problem as well. I haven't read any suggestion for that so I offer one: when converting an already upgraded class artifact to RP let it behave like any other artifact in that manner it terms of calculating the converted RP value and destroying the artifact in process with one difference. The "flag" which shows that player can claim the artifact at the promo vendor need to be turned back on, so if the player wants the artifact can be claimed again at a later stage. The concept is that the invested RP in a class artifact doesn't get wasted (it is still convertible) while the artifact cannot be claimed more then once. Upon converting the artifact it gets destroyed and the player gets back the previous one in its original green form while the invested RP is freed up and can be used elsewhere. If I am correct the devs only need to find a way to switch the "claimed flag" off in the promo vendor.
  • Options
    nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User

I also tried the new Bonus RP on preview and was similarly underwhelmed. I ran a patrol in Chult and earned nothing at all and wondered if the event simply wasn't working, then went to Sharander and just ran in a circle killing stuff. I earned more RP from the green equipment I picked up than from the event. For it to really qualify as an event that can help with progression, the quantity of RP it gives as kill bonuses should be cranked up.

The lack of visible event feedback is also an issue, imo. I had to keep opening my Riches tab to see whether or not the counter was going up. I imagine the event "drop" is on a cooldown like any event that drops bonus loot from kills (Tymora, Waukeen), but those you can see and be aware of the timing of them.

Hi @beckylunatic , there is feedback if you have enabled the "pick up" chat checkbox, I think it was named "rewards" or "minor rewards".

If I remember correctly the feedback is something similar to "You have been rewarded 28 RP" written in chat.
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    I played this event for 1 hour ( bonus rp) and i was getting rp from mobs every 1 minute. IS this the intention to have a cooldown 1 minute?
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    I certainly got RP back for killing a mob, it looks like an average of about 10RP per thing killed. I killed stuff in SH, in Chult and in Sharandar.

I didn't sit there trying hard to farm things so couldn't comment on an internal cooldown.

Given the drop rate of green loot (50RP) and such this actually seems fairly close to 2xRP for players that do not have the various tools in the game for boosting your RP gain (Wanderer's, Draconic, Fey, Quatermaster all spring to mind) and this is where the problem with the current rate of RP gain really falls. Players have become masters of gaining RP and saving it for 2xRP events, for the new Bonus RP event to work even close to player expectations for an event it needs to at least double and not have the internal cool down mamalion1234 mentioned (if present).

At 15-30RP per thing killed (say no more than 3 levels below your actual level) that should start hitting close to the RP rate of experienced players running the BIS RP farming gear (or even haphazard people like me) and encourage play through dungeons and other instanced things of the player's level and appropriate play of daily tasks to gain RP rather than simply spamming a lower level area (eg Sharandar) while the even is on.

Events are supposed to be attractive to players, 2xRP is a big deal that requires a lot of preparation to make it work so is not friendly to new players. Conceptually the new Bonus RP event is very new player friendly, its just not very attractive to them at this point as the rewards are not going to give a noticeable quality improvement over routine play anyway.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    There is no way they can provide the RP in a weekend of kills to equal the former bump you could see from three months of saving and planning. I'm not looking for that, just hoping for something a little more impressive.

Cooldown is most assuredly intended. All events that drop something on top of regular items have a cooldown.

That said, I always appreciate events where you can get some bonus goodies from the event even if you don't deviate from your normal routine. If this goes live the way it is now, I won't say no to it, but I won't anticipate it either. I won't sleep-deprive myself over it (not necessarily a bad thing) or be upset about missing it.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    Late last week we made some adjustments to the Bonus RP event from internal testing, which aren't on preview yet. The main change was to make the drop rate a lot more frequent.

There is a notification in the bottom right when you get RP. We didn't want to go with a box for pickup like other events as it would just have RP in it (which wouldn't be affected by the double gem weekends) which a player would have to click through a stack of to get all of their RP.

Hopefully with the new drop rates it will feel better.
  • Options
    eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    [removed -- no way to edit it to not sound rude]
  • Options
    patheticshot#5830 patheticshot Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Question about how things will be converted with the update.

If I have a legendary artifact that is at rank 129 and only 5K RP from 130, what will it convert to when the new refinement system goes live?

If I have a rank 9 enchantment that is ready to be refined to rank 10 but I just haven't done the refinement yet, will it still be ready to refine to rank 10 when the new refinement system goes live?

Just trying to understand how things will convert to better know what to do over the next 22 days until this goes live.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User

Late last week we made some adjustments to the Bonus RP event from internal testing, which aren't on preview yet. The main change was to make the drop rate a lot more frequent.

There is a notification in the bottom right when you get RP. We didn't want to go with a box for pickup like other events as it would just have RP in it (which wouldn't be affected by the double gem weekends) which a player would have to click through a stack of to get all of their RP.

Well I’ll take a look, but unless the amount of RP given per drop increases I still don’t see this being seen as an exciting event like the 2xRP event is, even if every critter drops 10RP.
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    nirafelosnirafelos Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Guildie asked me an edge case question about the new refinement system that I was unable to answer.

Scenario:
    I put 1,000,000 RP into a rank 1 artifact belt, but don't ever push the upgrade button.

What happens after Mod 12b hits?
    1. Belt is Rank 1 with 1,000,000 RP intact, can immediately be upgraded to Legendary in 12b.
    2. Belt is Rank 1 with 100,000 RP intact, because all RP was divided by 10.
    3. Belt is Rank 1 with enough RP to upgrade to Rank 2, but no overflow.
    4. Other (please explain)
    Thanks!
  • Options
    oorooooroo Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2 Arc User
    ooroo said:

So using the (inflated due to dbl refining days, granted) prices on the market today, it looks like upgrading a gem from 11 to 12 today costs about 325K AD worth of refining agents - not including wards. Using the same prices, it will cost about 1.125 Million AD after this change - not including wards. OMG.

That quote was actually mine, complaining about the rise in cost for ARMOR/WEAPON enchants, the special ones going in purple slots. The rest of enchants actually is better to refine them after the change. A brutal R11 would cost me now 4 superior marks + 3 greater marks (about 445k AD full price, no wards), with 3% chance. This cost will go down to 2 superior marks + 3 superior enchanting stones, down 200k AD, with a 5% chance. R10->R11 also will need only 1 superior mark at 10%, from 2 superior marks at 5%.

So I chock-filled all my R8+ enchants with RP during this last event, and will upgrade them later. RP progress is still preserved, if anything will change then... well... then I'll take a huge loss. I will appreciate any correction to what I just said as I cannot verify it atm

Sorry r000kie, it was indeed. I just haven't quite figured out the right way to use the quote system the last time and lost the blockquote part which would have showed your quote which I wanted to connect to.

Since then I checked the released upgrade requirements and while the enchant upgrade suddenly is very affordable even with casual game play the weapon/armor upgrade requirements are very steep.

Please consider the following for weapon/armor enchant upgrade:

- for R8 to R9 use 3 gmop + 3 es (instead of 10 gmop + 3 es) - 1/3rd
    - - for R9 to R10 use 5 gmop + 6 es (instead of 15 gmop + 6 es) - 1/3rd
    - for R10 to R11 use 5 smop + 3 ges (instead of 10 smop + 3 ges) - half
    - for R11 to R12 do 7 smop (instead of 15 smop + 6 ges) - half
    - for R12 to R13 do 5 umop + 3 ses (instead of 10 umop + 3 ses) - half

Also, please sort out the class artifacts when it comes to RP conversion.

Convert an upgraded class artifact to RP like any other artifact with one difference: the "flag" which shows that the player can claim the artifact at the promo vendor needs to be turned back on, so upon converting and destroying the class artifact it becomes available again at the vendor like it hasn't been claimed before.

Is that something you are thinking about before the mod goes live?
  • Options
    rannxeroxxrannxeroxx Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    Will give my "new player" POV. I totally agree with the changes to the refinement system. It was a cluttered mess and, frankly, as a new player just minutia and contributed more to frustration then enjoyment. Have no skin in the game as far as bonding but if you find everyone is all only using one option in a game then you know you have a balance issue. The problem is they let it sit like that for too long and people invested real money to implement their broken system.

Totally agree with another who suggested new classes. I mean you have a LOT of content but your classes are kinda missing some D&D flavor. And magic users are meh in NW. I mean they really suck. Have you guys (devs) even read a PHB?
  • Options
    morgrim66morgrim66 Member Posts: 47 Arc User
    I play on PS4. I will say I have not read all 19 pages of posts. I like almost all the changes for 12b. I am just concerned about not being able to complete content I have already been successful with after the update due to the bonding changes.

I have 3 characters at, over or near 15k item level, all with rank 12 bonding stones. It bothers me that I will have to rank 9 stones up 2 levels, the refinement and the expense of refining stones included, just to get back the point of being as effective as I am now.

I play with friends regularly. We have completed ToNG, with some difficulty on Orcus and the final boss. It was a challenge, some of my DPS friends are just barely at the DPS threshold to succeed at this dungeon. I am concerned that after the change, they will have to grind out refinement for a while before we can be successful again.

Am I just being worried over nothing or are these valid concerns? Would you say that a well geared 14.5 with r12 bondings will do sufficient damage post patch with no changes to kill Orcus before the green orb buff runs out on the tank? Or kill all the defiant souls in the time they are up?

Thoughts?
    Morria Grim 16,133 DC
    Morgrim Orcbane 16,530 CW
    Bloodlust Barbie 15,646 OP Tank
  • Options

Will give my "new player" POV. I totally agree with the changes to the refinement system. It was a cluttered mess and, frankly, as a new player just minutia and contributed more to frustration then enjoyment. Have no skin in the game as far as bonding but if you find everyone is all only using one option in a game then you know you have a balance issue. The problem is they let it sit like that for too long and people invested real money to implement their broken system.

Totally agree with another who suggested new classes. I mean you have a LOT of content but your classes are kinda missing some D&D flavor. And magic users are meh in NW. I mean they really suck. Have you guys (devs) even read a PHB?

To a new player it does look like a lot of content, but once you get reasonably geared at 70, and have done most of the solo content, you will discover that the dungeons and skirmishes available are pretty scant. I really wish there were max level versions of all the skirmishes and dungeons in the game with reasonable rewards to make it worthwhile to do them.

Also, my wizard is a HAMSTER, so keep your opinion. Yes I know the CW doesn't have the versatility of a real D&D wizard but he is great at blowing things up. I am not sure how they would accomplish a proper representation of a wizard or cleric in this game framework. Its not designed for spell versatility
    Morria Grim 16,133 DC
  • Options
    edited October 2017

- R13 needs 10 umop to R14 (when the Wondrous Bazaar prices stay where they are and the umop costs about 250 000 AD)

Does this take into account the vip Discount? or would it be 25% off 250k for VIP 12?
    Morria Grim 16,133 DC
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,223 Arc User
    edited October 2017
    morgrim66 said:

Does this take into account the vip Discount? or would it be 25% off 250k for VIP 12?

No. That does not take into account for both VIP discount and AD store discount.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User
    nirafelos said:

Guildie asked me an edge case question about the new refinement system that I was unable to answer.

Scenario:
    I put 1,000,000 RP into a rank 1 artifact belt, but don't ever push the upgrade button.

1. Belt is Rank 1 with 1,000,000 RP intact, can immediately be upgraded to Legendary in 12b.
    Thanks!
    Was also wondering this, I have a load of R7 enchants with enough RP in them to get them beyond R10, was wondering how this was going to be handled.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    At this moment, my character's rank 12s (most of them) are ready for upgrade to rank 13 on preview, due to rp overflow I guess.
  • Options
    niadan said:

At this moment, my character's rank 12s (most of them) are ready for upgrade to rank 13 on preview, due to rp overflow I guess.

Some players are suggesting this is a preview feature as they're seeing it on enchants they didn't overfill. I'm really not sure.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    I don't think you can overfill enchants, as the system stops you once you hit the cap and I don't think there is anything that you can put into an enchant to go that far over the requirement. Unless it was done before they put that measure in?

I'm planning a pretty massive overhaul of my enchants and artifacts. At this point, I'm looking at it this way:

- Get as much for the enchants I'm selling as I can now as the price is going to drop.
    - Get any new artifacts as cheap as possible and hold till new system is in place.
    - Use any Mythic Artis I have on the new ones, as it will likely be cheaper BEFORE this upgrade than AFTER (even without 2X RP, using it now I think we be a net profit due to matching slots and the 5X bonus, than afterwords with raw RP).
    - Wait on creating new enchants till after the 24th as it will be cheaper.
  • Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    morgrim66 said:

UMoP base price is 125k not 250k
    nirafelos said:

Scenario:

Thanks!
    Option 2.

The RP in an item will scale to where it needs to be with the new curves. Overflow RP should simply reduce to 1/10th and still be in the item.

So an enchantment that is between rank 8 and 9 should end up in the same place with the switch over, but the RP number will be different. An enchantment that is ready to be upgraded to rank 9 and has 10,000 overflow RP in it should convert over to being ready to upgrade to rank 9 with 1,000 overflow RP in it.
  • Options
    araxelvenaraxelven Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2017

niadan said:

Some players are suggesting this is a preview feature as they're seeing it on enchants they didn't overfill. I'm really not sure.
    I think it auto-fills your enchants with your spare RP, even if you're just previewing them. If your RP is empty, my enchants looked normal.
  • Options
    nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    @noworries#8859

The event is not active in preview anymore so I can't test it :(
  • Options
    reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    Please leave the pres ward/coal ward in place after a successful upgrade to continue to the next rank!
  • Options
    rainer#8575 rainer Member Posts: 280 Arc User
    > @reg1981 said:
    > Please leave the pres ward/coal ward in place after a successful upgrade to continue to the next rank!

I first misunderstood you thinking you wanted the (coal) ward to not be consumed. But I think you mean the ward slot should stay filled.

I totally agree! I messed up some enchanting stones/marks on preview because I clicked too quickly.. Basically, if you use a ward on a certain rank, you also want to use a ward on the next rank!
  • Options
    trinity706#8838 trinity706 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    More bag space > hold more equipment (incentive to pickup) > identify all > display options (uncommon) > faster artifact equipment refining :)

@marko2alzuma, @luks707, @ravenskya players already choose whether to donate or use enchantments for refinement.

Gems being a bottleneck for Guilds is in part because players often don't produce them. 30 guild members can produce 6k -12k gems in as little as two hours, over a week that's 42k-84k gems. Neverwinter possesses a number of situations where players are to choose between being "selfish" and "selfless", unfortunately lots of players choose selfish.

Rotate gem crate creation amongst members. Lot of players don't even run professions and could run jewelcrafting. Can recall many times guilds in an Alliance needing very close to the same amount of gems week after week even though they have a number of active members because seemingly no one wanted to contribute them to their Guild's coffer. It goes to show.
    araneax said:

And what exactly do you receive with the bonding nerf ?
    ( what exactly are you getting in return ? )

Content that can't be stomped through via bonding runestones/2 DC's...

@andreask, @kyriahn, @ravenskya Coalescent/preservation wards don't have to cost money, they can be obtained from the Zen market via the AD exchange, no RNG involved. Spending the 15% off worth of AD on preservation wards (even half the value of a coalescent ward) can and does sometimes produce positive results. Spending around 200k AD on preservation wards (50) on a 3%-1% and getting success is still cheaper than getting a coalescent ward. Don't know why money being REQUIRED keeps circulating...

@tntslayer1 armor penetration boon, armor penetration on equipment, etc. Yes players that have not stacked armor penetration will have to sacrifice stats if they want to cap armor penetration.

@oldbaldyone seemingly enchantments can be overfilled pre Mod 12b, if not why don't rank 12 enchantments stack? For example rank 12 bonding runestones "should" stack but don't...

Rank 1-9 enchantments (and some 10's) stack (the ones that come from vendor/lockboxes, etc. and start at 0 RP?) but pretty much anything that requires refining doesn't stack (because they are not exactly at "0" RP?).
    ALL Rights Reserved for any and all suggestions, ideas, etc. from this user.

“There are changes that can be made that don’t require coding...” - TriNitY
    "No amount of coding will change human behavior" - TriNitY

Ongoing Issue: Legitmate Players Banned for Botting (Console) and the Future for "Dedicated" Players

Suggestions: (Implemented) \/\/ Rearrange Character on character Select Screen