test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Pally Loadout Impact to Groups

mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
Now we all know that Pally's are the lone class that can be a tank or healer. Other classes do not have this option. With loadouts a Pally could select healer to get into the instance faster than swap to a tank in the instance. This is a concern as it can result in imbalanced groups.

Is there anything in play to ensure this does not happen, to make sure that Pally play the role that they were initially given.

What do other think about this? No other class ATM can break or ruin runs for random groups.

Comments

• Options
    majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 783 Arc User
    @mebengalsfan, I'm a bit on the slow side and trying to see what issue might be. As a Pally Healer who plans to stay with my original loadout of the same, but also plans on a Tank loadout, I would think that whatever the team would need would dictate which loadout I use. If the party needs a healer, I'm there. If they need a tank, I'll swap but if you're concerned they may take up a slot a potential PUGing AC DC might take (Sounds like thats the concern), I suspect you either need to vote kick and wait for that DC or go with a pre-made. I don't see why there needs to be a new mechanic when there are already existing tools one can use the group is optimal for the run. That's my two cents.
    ~Shia~

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 60, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 60, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 60, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    Thanks god pally can go either tank or healer. We have to wait even half a hour for those classes in lfg
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I plan on keeping my healadin as a healadin with a tank spec just for the fun of it. I'd probably only put her into tank mode if I found myself in a pug where I realized that there was no way the tank was going to hold up.

Or since my guild is really healer heavy I might pop over to tank to run dungeons with them. The other thought would be to stay healadin through CN until you get to Orcus and go no tank until we get there, then pop into tank mode just for the boss fight. Who knows... I certainly can't imagine putting myself as a healer just to get into a group and then pop over to tank for no reason - it's not like a different character gets the loot.

I do sense that a lot of mid grade tankadins might create a subpar healadin just to get into dungeons more quickly - that will lead to an increase in dislike for the healadin in general if people assume all healadins are as bad as I expect many of those will be.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    ravenskya said:

I do sense that a lot of mid grade tankadins might create a subpar healadin just to get into dungeons more quickly - that will lead to an increase in dislike for the healadin in general if people assume all healadins are as bad as I expect many of those will be.

That's always a possibility, but I get the feeling it will be more to do with folks that played only one paragon tree going through the growing pains of learning the other, rather than intentional deception just to get into a group. In case of the latter, if they double up like that, the run may fail and the rest of the group should boot them.
    ~Shia~

Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anoited Champion (Faith.)

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    I sense a lot of the "new" healadins will be wearing aura of life and standing back holding down R2 thinking they are adding to the team.
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    rjc9000rjc9000 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,405 Arc User
    ravenskya said:

I sense a lot of the "new" healadins will be wearing aura of life and standing back holding down R2 thinking they are adding to the team.

Well, you know what they say.

All toasters toast toast When you make something idiot proof, nature builds a better idiot.

• Options
    mebengalsfan#9264 mebengalsfan Member Posts: 3,169 Arc User
    Other games that have loadouts this occurs more often than many players realize. In other games where you can play more than one role and have an off role loadout, players abuse the system to get into groups and ruins runs for others. My concern is not having a healer or tank in pug groups.
  • Options
    mcgwarfacemcgwarface Member Posts: 160 Arc User
    Well the team could always vote kick if the team asks for a healer then he/she changes to something else trying to be sneaky for some weird reason. This will not be common. Most normal people will change into the loadout based on situation.
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    Oh noes! That tank is really a healer.... And that dirty rotten healer is actually a tank! This will result in Neverwinter pandemonium, I tell you. Cats and dogs marrying and all that stuff. :|
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User
    The thing is, there's not a lot of gear difference between a protection and devotion paladin and most builds both use the same feat paths, they even run the same auras (class features) most of the time.

Sure one would have to learn the rotation of the other path but once that's done they should be able to function effectively in either role.

Could you be more specific as to how you believe they wouldn't be able to cross-function? Also, do you run a paladin and if so what's the path and item level.

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options
    A quick look actually shows you main a DC? I think I now start to see where you're coming from @mebengalsfan#9264 ...

Are you a little concerned that an influx of players who are able to take your spot in a group could negatively impact on your game play...?

• Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    This is called "way overthinking things". Why on earth would someone switch roles just to queue and get a group faster, when that group is likely going to fail because of it? Oo, I'll queue and take the healer role, then I'll refuse to heal.

Also, I highly, highly doubt that the queue system looks at spec and places people based on it. It looks at class: GF/OP Tank, DC/OP Healer, all else DPS - but I could be wrong here.

As always, the system for creating your own groups works fairly well...well sort of well....ok its buggy sometimes, but usually works.
  • Options
    bitt3rnightmar3bitt3rnightmar3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 788 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Most dungeons don't really need much healing.. those that do need healing people are hesitant to pug.
    Relmyna - AC/DC Righteous + Haste| Nadine - CW MoF (working on it)|Buffy - GF SM Tact| Hrist - Justice Tankadin|Healadin (Wannabe Tank)| Lena -MI Sabo TR (Farmer) | Jeska - GWF SM Destroyer (Farmer) | Maggie - HR PF Trapper (Wannabe DPS)
    --
    I'll never retrace my steps.

Some of my best friends are Imaginary.

• Options
    I believe he's specifically concerned about prot pallies switching to healadin as no other class can change classification - As he mains a DC I believe this is more about 'turf' than game impact.

• Options
    I strongly suspect he'll have much to worry about nothing as I get the feeling that Prot pallies will queue and play the dungeon as a tank because thats what they're comfortable with, while Devos will do the same. Like I said before, if the team is failing because someone wants to do something that doesn't help the team - Vote kick, Pre-made, guild runs all exist and are alternatives.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    In my experience it'll be of most use when the DC quits and a tank takes their place (it's happened to me a few times). If one of the tanks is a pally they can switch to healer instead.

• Options
    armadeonx said:

In my experience it'll be of most use when the DC quits and a tank takes their place (it's happened to me a few times). If one of the tanks is a pally they can switch to healer instead.

Been there, done that as armadeonx! :P Hopefully, with the new loadouts if you run into that situation and get another DC, in pugs with either two pallies or a GF and a Pally. The pally can switch to heals and the DC can go full DPS or Buff/debuffs. I really think this feature will give us all more options and versatility - leading to more successes than failures within Pugs.

-Shia-
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    you have it opposite, I find queues popping much quicker with tanks.. its almost insta with my tank alts.. its much slower with my dc .. and nearly NEVER pops for dps.

if your asking for requests, then sure dc might come out ahead.

no one is usually sitting around asking for a healadin.

This is a pretty moot factor with todays meta..

I see more people asking for one DO and one AA DC.. then anything else lately.

• Options
    And I suspect you would be right. Which is why I pug. The run gets completed and I do my damnest to ensure that folks are at full health to do their jobs.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    The above applies to the non-endgame master level dungeons. FBI, SPC (M) and SVA are their own animals. Bottom line: If you're pugging Fangbreaker or Spellplague Caverns you're taking a risk so you should probably premade your group or run with guildies. If folks are queing for endgame dungeons and then switching to something the team doesn't need then friggin boot them. How hard is all this? Now that I think about it, I'm wondering if this whole thread isn't just trollbait. I REALLY don't think this is an issue.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited May 2017

Also, I highly, highly doubt that the queue system looks at spec and places people based on it. It looks at class: GF/OP Tank, DC/OP Healer, all else DPS - but I could be wrong here.

It looks at paragon rather than class when deciding how to queue a paladin, but that's as far as it goes.

I don't know about sabotaging runs in other games but I still have trouble imagining it happening here. Maybe I'm just silly for imagining that people have lives and for the most part want to pack as many successful runs into their playtime as they can, if that's what they do.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    rubytruerubytrue Member Posts: 582 Arc User
    As a DevOP I am usually tops in immovable object due to the aggro I draw...why would I want to give up my heals and DPS when I am more or less the tank anyway?
  • Options
    veywiil#8685 veywiil Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    I did some 'testing' around this and found this beneficial to PUG's if used properly, Burandins can fill the tank role, but normally fill the healer role. How do we make runs faster with this knowledge?

Queue as a protection paladin, and as soon as you get in the instance swap to devotion. Normally you get a cleric who debuffs very well in the healer slot you would have filled. The party doesn't lose anything for survivability in most dungeons. This can be used to your advantage if you are a paladin.
    I'm a theorycrafter, that means I can answer fairly deep questions with scientific theory, mathematical proof, and some guessing. Ask me stuff!
  • Options
    namelesshero347namelesshero347 Member Posts: 2,109 Arc User
    The CN queue time seem to have increased significantly for my DC, and decreased for my GF. I think lots of pallys are going into CN queue as devotion now since even fairly well geared pallys can have trouble tanking orcus.
  • Options
    Yeah since the Binding Oath nerf it is harder to do it. My advice is to run TW/Bane/Absolution if you're having problems and make sure you cast Absolution on everyone before going in.

To make sure you cast it on yourself (and not others) during the fight, adjust your camera angle to a steep vertical so you are looking down or up. With decent recovery and well spaced Divine Call you should keep it up permanently.

Swap Absolution for CoP if you have the HP and DR to handle it.

• Options
    wizardlvl80#5963 wizardlvl80 Member Posts: 519 Arc User
    I really don't see how this is a problem. You can still kick this dude, right? So how it's a loadout problem?
  • Options
    It isn't.
    ~Shia~

Ta'el, Lvl 60, Rom Tac
  • Options
    fontanaelunaefontanaelunae Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    It puts me off to read (hidden) nerf threads with "concerns" like this! Hit all other classes except your own! So sad!
    Sometimes I wonder whether we are playing together or against each other...

Paladins have got their share of nerfing i feel, and it's not the moment to reduce new game possibilities loadouts offer -- a gift for ALL of us -- and reduce them for just this one, already strongly reduced class.